In the Name of God بسم الله

Building Iman

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was wonderin how do bros/sis build there Iman....i kno there is no sure fire way..but i dunno i just felt this would be away for us to state how we build ours and mayeb someone will benifit from it...me i am woking on building mine...wat i do is find something that scares me...and i take that fear and experience it till i do not fear it....like example roller coasters..if u fear them go on them but reassure urself say Allah will protect u and keep doin it till ur not afraid..puttin faith in Allah kinda thing...ge wat i mean...

Wanna hear from everyone else too..

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Faith or Iman starts from believing in the existence of Allah, the Prophets (as) and Imams, from this point we are then able to imitate them in their actions and try to get closer to Allah (SWT).

But we also have to build our Iman by acting Islamically and not just speaking with the mouth: like caring, helping, respecting older people, enjoining good, worshipping Allah (which includes prayers,fasting and charity work). All this should help to build the Iman and spirituality of an individual, there are also other good deeds such as reading the Holy Qur'an and supplications. All this if done correctly and with a sound heart should help to lift an individual to higher levels and build their Iman.

Wasalaam

Edited by BATOOL7

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Inshallah you are in the best health and IMAAN

This is a great topic btw..for it encompasses the meaning behind ones faith.

When the sweetness and ecstasy of Imaan enters the heart of a person, then his whole life changes. When a person does something out of his love for Allah and His Rasool pbuh and not merely out of a sense of obligation, then Allah blesses this person with the sweetness of Imaan. Fulfilling our Deen obligations i.e. Salaah, Fasting, Zakaat, etc. just because it is our duty to do so is very different from fulfilling them out of love for Allah and Rasulullah pbuh Our weakness is that everything we do stems from ‘duty’ and ‘obligation’ and not love.

It is not Haraam to ask Allah for peace, contentment, pleasure, enjoyment and happiness - indeed, we should ask and continue asking Allah for these things. But since, most of the virtuous deeds we do revolve around a sense of duty and not the love of Allah, we don’t achieve this sweetness of Imaan. For example : we render some service to Deen, but we do so because we think : "People are going astray and there is so much of corruption. It is our duty to make an effort." Yes, indeed, it is our duty, on which, we will Insha-Allah gain Thawaab (reward) but we will not taste of the sweetness of Imaan, because everything done stems from a sense of duty and not from the love for Allah and the desire to gain His pleasure. Such khidmah (service) to Deen needs to be rendered out of love for Allah , with a deep-felt concern for those going astray, that some attempt be made to save them from deviation.

Even though - the reality and essence of the sweetness of Imaan is not acquired so easily. To obtain such a precious commodity, we have to sit in the company of those whose hearts are aflame with the Love of Allahand who thus do everything for His pleasure alone. In their blessed company, where the lessons of Divine love are taught and where we may draw from their hearts, that fire of love, there we will reap the sweetness of Imaan.

It is mentioned that some of the companions once presented themselves to the prophet and said : "Our condition is that sometimes we experience such evil thoughts and sentiments in our hearts that it is most painful even to mention them. "Rasulullah (Salallahu alayi Wasallam) enquired : "Is it really so? They replied : "Yes, this is our condition. "Rasulullah exclaimed:

"But that is pure faith." ... meaning, that to feel grieved and distressed at such thoughts and sentiments is a sign of good Imaan. Allah is giving us many tests for us to persevere, and attain more IMaan and thawab.

As the servants and slaves of Allah we should understand that our Master will grant to us only that which is good for us. Our duty and endeavour is that we supplicate and ask of Allah , then make the correct effort and thereafter leave the final decision to Allah Ta’ala. This brings peace, contentment and happiness into our hearts.Allah grants the sweetness of Imaan, together with all the accompanying conditions of peace, tranquillity, happiness, etc., to those who are faithful and sincere servants. And if the Kings of this world knew of this condition of the heart, they would go to great lengths to snatch it away. However, this is something which Allah gives to whomsoever He chooses to.

It's like \ that area which is struck by a flood, earthquake or any other disaster, then due to the damage, the government declares it a disaster area and supplies the material - the sand, cement, etc. - for there construction of those homes and buildings destroyed in such a disaster In a similar vein, when evil desires make their way into our hearts and we smash and destroy them for the pleasure of Allah, then this fragile building of our heart is shattered into thousands of fragments. On the pain and grief experienced at this destruction, Allah will reconstruct our hearts with the sweetness and the Noor of Imaan. When a person experiences this, he will then really know and understand what it is.

Sorry for the long post, but this topic caught my attention, and I had to take the words out of my heart to explain how blessed we are with this religion of ours.

May Allah Ta’ala grant us all the ‘towfeeq’ of practising upon the teachings of the Qur’aan Sharif and the ‘towfeeq’ to follow the beautiful lifestyle of our beloved Nabi, Sayyedena Muhammad (Salallahu alayi Wasallam). May He bless us with implicit trust and faith in Him. May He strengthen our Imaan so that we accept all decisions made by Him, to be the best for us. May He give us the understanding that He is the Creator of means so that after adopting the means we may not trust in those means gaining us our desired objective but instead trust in Allah Ta’ala and pray to Him to grant us success in our endeavours.May Allah Ta’ala forgive us all and bless us with the best of both worlds.

=======

WIth duas,

bintil huda

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Iman IS like a rollercoaster since we are not ma'someen and we all have our ups and downs walhamdulillah for everything. This 7yat al-dunya is aaall a test, and we are constanrly struggling with shaytan so yes, sometimes our iman gets weak. Quran mentions several times also, like when people are in trouble they ask Allah and hen they turn away...Brother, long time ago i posted my notes what i took after the lecture of Sheikh Jihad Ismaili, inshallah i repost it now, so that u might find it useful...Please, forgive me for mistyping i was taking notes by Word and i was too tired to correct :angel:

Cures for weak faith

Ask Allah to renew faith in your heart. Just like you wear out your clothe your iman can be worn out too; it is worn out for a reason because youu dont continue or maintain what you beleive by practicing ansd going further in what u know for the sake of Allah

Cure number one is pondering on the meaning of Quran. Where Allah revelead the Quran, he said, la’alahum yatafakkaroon, yatadakkaroon, etc..so they may reflect, understand…so that they may think, so that they may remember. All these ayats are invitations for those hwo really want to learn something for the Quran. Allah said, He sent down Quran as the healing and mercy for those who beleive. On the other hand it will always keep the non-beleivers away. And it will actually make them loose further and further. Rasulullah (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) used to send someof his close companions to read Quran for people who were sick and they were healed immediately. We read surat al-baqara on our sick ones and they dont get healed…yes, Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) used to read only al-fatiha, and al baqarah is moore longer..Rasulullah(salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) said there r so many of u who read the Quran and Quran is cursing them. Why does Quran curse? Cz the person who reads the Quran is reading it without contemplating and thinking about its meaning. It doesnt mean if someone cannot read arabic or read but cant udnerstand it its sin, but those who can read and udnerstand yet they don concentrate. For example, the reciter is reading about jahannam and the one who listens says may Allah increase you! This person is simply taking Quran as a form of entertainment.

Rasulullah frequently obeserved qiyaam al-layl. Once as he was reading he came to a particular verse in the Quran and he was repeating it and with each repetion of this aya he was weeping; everytime he was reading this aya he couldnt go further. When he read

„if you punish them tehy are your slaves”

he repeated again and again only to seek Allah’s mercy as he was saying,

o, Allah dont punish them.

When the Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) was reading andf repeating it, fajr prayer was about to be announced: he kept reading from isha until fajr…Of course he didnt repeat it only, because he used to read an entire surah. So when he read this aya and Bilal was approaching to the mosque to call, he heard the Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) wheeping and crying, he said, o, Rasulullah, u r wheeping that much yet Allah forgave you all your sins?

Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) asked,

o, Bilal, should i not be grateful to Allah? Should i not be grateful that He has made me a prophet and choosen me to be a guide to the mankind?

Compared the Prophet’s position to ours, , if we pray 2 rakaas we think, we will enter into Jennah…or if wegive a little charity, we think we have an indusputable right to Jennah; says who? No! No one says that we in fact have this right. Allah says for us to reflect on the meaning of the Quran. Verily indeed in the creation of heaven and earth there are indeed signs of men of understanding!

We muslims don’t reflect on the ayat of Allah, we don’t deeply ponder of what Allah wants us to be! We as muslims in inventions and discoveries, we are at the bottom of the list, altough we have a Quran if it was given to the West they would create wonders out of it. But unfortunately we read but our heart have deadlock on it.: nothing comes into our heart.

Allah says: our signs for those who udnerstand…This is an invitation to think! Have you ever been at night at the top of a mountain and look at the sky and just reflect..see the stars, the sky…This is what Prophet used to do even before Islam; and asking the old question, where did these things come from? Who created this vast universe so logically?

Allah says everything we created we have cerated by degree and to an appointed time.

Remember about the scientific ayats of Quran, where Allah Taala talks about the mountains, seas, daybreak…There are signs for those who are thinking and using their minds. Allah created them to make you firm in your religion.

Islam is easy to say la ilaha illa Allah Mohamad Rasool Allah Aliwaliyallah is easy! But the hard thing is to stay inside! If we dont ponder on the ayat of Quran, we just simply read it and we dont understand anything, it is useless! How many times if we hear reading the Quran because of a dead person, we immediatly ask, who died? As if Allah has revealed Quran for the dead!! We read surat Yasin for the dead ones, because it represents the heart of the Quran! Rasulullah said, read it for the dead ones, so we read it for the dead ones…but as Allah says to give warning to those who are alive!! Not the dead ones!!!!

Yasin is recommanded for your dead heart too! This Quran is for you to revive your own heart not to revive a heart of a dead person. Without pondering on the meaning of the Quran, Quran curses us.

The son of ayatollah Khomeini (rahimahullah taala) , Mustafa, had the aim to interprete the whole Quran…so he started with surat al-Fatiha…and he wrote seven volumes about it! Seven volumes! This Fatiha what we read at least 10 times to 20 times, took seven volumes of that man’s work to translate its meaning!

And we read these ayat and we dont think. What is Rahman, Raheem…? That is why we have weak faith, because when we are reading we dont concentrate or focus.

People used to weep during sajda ayaat, but we don’t wheep: our heart became like a rock. Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) recommands if we cant cry, let us pretend to cry…because this is a training for the heart to be always immersed in the presence of Allah Taala. In the Quran Allah also draws so many fables…He didnt relate this simply to pass our time!

Quran has healing for everything and it is up to us to use it. When someone in the West discovers something what is in the Quran we shout, oh, it is in Quran! But why we cant produce the same? Why we have to wait for the West to invent it? If Quran mentioned it for 1400 years ago, why we had been sleeping?

We say, the West has so much good laws! These laws actually came from the heart of Quran. Because when Europe was living in darkness, we was in the golden age. What do you think, how many students was learnign at Jafar As-Sadiq (alayhi alsalaam)? There was 4000 stiudents sitting with him; and they were masters in logarhytm, mathematics, astrology, etc…And where did they get their knowledge from? From Quran adn the second rope what Allah streched for us: ahle bayt Rasulullah (alayhim alsalaam). Strange when people cannot see links with the Quran. They ask how can u say, ahle bayt infallible, say, Rasulullah (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) is infallible. But see the hadith, i left for you two heavy things, Quran and ahle bayt (as)…This simple: when Rasulullah (salla Allah alayhi wa aalihi wa sallam) links something to something it must be on the same value. If we have no doubt in infallibility of Quran, w cannot have doubts in the isma’ of ahle bayt (alayhim alsalaam). This is a quick example for their infallibality.

Focusing on one and neglecting the other is not enough, attach yourself to both, because you cannot segregate them from one another.

Fi aman Allah

• 7 months later...
  • Advanced Member

This is not exactly on topic, but does anyone else feel there Iman has become significantly strgoner because of their experiences during Ashura or Muharram in genearal? This is my first year as a practicing Shia, and my Iman was very weak before this month, but mourning for the Imam and coming together with my Shia brothers and sisters (I've never felt closer to them than on Ashura) to do the same in the masjid, as well as attending the muharram majilis has really made me realize what a blessing it is to be of this religion and how important it is in my life. Being reminded of the people who lived and died for Islam, and realizing that like our Imams, we will always struggle and face hard times, but as long as we continue to strive in the name of truth, insha'Allah, Allah will never leave us. I feel as if I finally have some clarity in my life, and that things have been put into perspective; I suppose this is what people mean when they refer to the powerful, transformative nature of religious experience. This Ashura may have been one of the most important days of my life for that reason, and I'm sorry for our Sunni brethren who aren't able to (or refues to) ever participate. I didn't mean to ramble on and wish I could be a little less vague, but I hope Muharram has been an equally important time for all of you, and that you are all strong in Iman.

"If a blessing descends on you, then make it last by being grateful." -Imam Ali

Edited by Diesel

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

Bro Diesel, I know exactly what you mean. If I did not go to my first ever majlis during Muharram 2 years ago, I would not identify myself as Shia today. The strength in my iman grew so unbelievably over the 10 nights I honestly cannot put words together to describe what it was like for me. I'm sure other people have had similar experiences.. I personally cannot understand how someone's view of the world cannot be affected upon hearing the Tragedy of Karbala' (let alone the stories preceding and following it)..

May Allah (swt) continue to strengthen your iman brother as well as all who struggle to perfect themselves in His name.

edit: sorry I got your name wrong!

Edited by Iman

• Advanced Member

salam,

Arsal, i was once asking myself the same question, i found that the best thing to do is before you go to bed, or even while your in bed, make a list of all the things you have done during your day, how much time you had wasted, what was good in your day and what was bad, if you have done anything bad, [not necessarily sinning] then think of how you should improve on that thing. gradually when you come to doing things which you are not convinced in, and things which you dissaprove of in urself then you will remember your aim to improve, and you will inshalla prohibit urself from those acts. in the meantime, listen to the words of the quran late at night when people in your house are sleeping and try to think about the verses of the quran. also think about the imams and their roles in our life, the sacrifices they have made for us.

like someone in this post already mentioned about muharam it is indeed a spiritual month as well as ramadhan too, and we should make use of these months to remember Allah [swt] and his messengers and their disciples too.

ws.

• Advanced Member

I find that one of the best ways is to ponder over death, visit ur local cemetry if u can and just think about how death can come around any time. Also, in one of his lectures Sayedd Modaressi made a really good suggestion which i believe may strengthen our iman if we undertook it. He said go shopping for white clothes and buy it (the white clothes u wear when u die) and hang it up in ur closet right in the centre. That way, everytime u open ur closet ur looking straight at the clothes u'll be wearing when u die. Pretty scary..... But anywayz, muharram is definitely (for me) the time when my iman is the strongest. Other ways might include listening to lectures about the subject of tawheed coz thats what everything comes down to in the end (eg: bro hasnain rajabali is really good) and constantly going to the mosque or an islamic centre or somewhere where ur surrounded by an islamic environment.

Hope that helps wasalam