Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Desi etc. Recipes

Guest abaleada

Guest abaleada

(bismillah)

(salam)

I could add one, but it's cheating. I get the dal spice box from the store, scoop out two flat spoons of the spice mix, and slap it into frying onions, garlic, tomatoes, green chili peppers, and potatoes - I use more tomatoes than reccommended, try to get the potatoes a bit soft so get a thicker sauce, and use only two peppers. I prefer to remove the peppers before the dal is finished. I boil up the dal on the side - the softer the better - and add everything from the frypan once it's all finished. Regarding tomatoes, not only do I put in more than the usual, I also partition them: some I put in right away to incorporate the flavour into the mix and get those curled tomatoe skins, then sometimes I toss some in halfway through tyhe cooking, and then I throw some larger chunks toward the end to get juicy tomato chunks in the actual dal. If, while the frypan mix is wroking, two scoops of spice doesn't seem enough, I sprinkle in more until it smells just right.

My husband made dal on his own - no spice box - and used more potatoes than I. He was successful in softenint the dal, and I don't know what spices he added, but it has been sooooo delicious! And he's Iraqi!

Edited by abaleada
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ermm.. Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt. hmm I guess I didnt miss any ingredient. LOL, ok, just grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of

Hey bro Peer are you talking about 'chatni' here? Cause it seems like it. My family doesn't eat rice without chatni. My dad is so addicted to it, that sometime he drink glasses full of chatni.... If t

(salam) This is a good site for all the females and http://food.sify.com/ He is practicing to be a housewife Reminds me of Jack Tripper on Three's Company.

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

thats a hyderabadi daal that u put kaddoo in...can't remember what its called :donno:

i thot gujji dishes had potatoes in their daalz...i remember tastin sumthing of the sort @ hyderi :donno:

Edited by Nida_e_Zahra
  • Advanced Member

Here's one:

Dumpling "Eggdrop" Dal Chaat

That's Chaat not chat. Chaat is like a tangy, spicy saucy dipping, dunking stuff. It's real good and taste yummy. It's a mixture of a Muslim Chinese recipe with a touch of basel and black beans. And what makes it desi is the tangy and spicy masala.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

Guest abaleada
(salam)

Which dal is that? :blink:

We never put potatoes in dal here.

I think I will try this out..hmm.... :D

Iraqi-American with a touch of Desi influence. The perfect Muslim food, eh? :-D

Guest abaleada

Friend: No, those were potatoes.

Dhufiqar: Do you havea recipe for the spicy green yoghurt?

Peer: It sounds so delicious that I am drooling. Please do post it inshallah.

Saahir: I'm in transition. If my stomach doesn't protest, I am happy to eat it inshallah. But true that I don't do meat.

• Advanced Member

Ermm..

Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt.

hmm I guess I didnt miss any ingredient. LOL, ok, just grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of course, and enjoy it with spicy biryani ^_^

• Advanced Member

Ok, there are plenty of recipes for palak paneer, but I just got this one off sme website:

Palak Paneer

Ingredients

3 bunches of spinach

1 Onion (chopped finely)

1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste

10 Green Chillies

1 cup Milk

2 tbsp Cream

1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder (Shaan's garam masala is easily available)

1 tbsp Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)

500 gms of diced cheese

2 big Tomatoes (chopped finely)

Method

Clean and wash palak nicely. Chop palak.

Boil palak and chopped green chillies for 10 mins. Cool and grind to a fine paste. Roast Kasuri methi on a tava for half a min (see that you don't burn it) and powder it by rubbing it between your palms.

In a kadai fry onion till brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for sometime.

Add chopped tomatoes and fry till oil shows on top. Add palak paste and Kasuri methi and fry. Add milk. Add garam masala powder and 2 tbsp cream and paneer diced. Add salt. Cook for 5 mins.

Before serving add 1 tbsp of butter (optional).

---

My mum makes the most delicious creamy spinach soup, you might not like it for the first time, but would love it after tryin it for like 2-3 times.. it tastes great!! I will get its recipe once she gets back here!!

• Advanced Member

Hey bro Peer are you talking about 'chatni' here?

Cause it seems like it. My family doesn't eat rice without chatni. My dad is so addicted to it, that sometime he drink glasses full of chatni....

If there is no chatni, we will stay hungry but won't eat sadah rice...

• Advanced Member

okay i think the recipe peer gave was a Raayta coz it has yoghurt involved in it :donno: but there are ZILLIONS of wayz u can make delish raaytas...lol from all over the world ;)

the chutni hasnain paijan is diff. we eat saaday chaval with hari mirch ki chutni (thts green chilly) lol...and u can't DRINK that...u can drink the Raayta though coz its liquidyfied... :donno:

• Advanced Member

Nida baji, me a deehaati guy, our we call rayata, chatni. I know, that all ya urdu speakers' chatni is just like the gushy mushy veges/mirch etc.

But ham log puranay zamanay kay. pichhly sadi kay log hain, issi liye zara behin hain

• Advanced Member

Ermm..

Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt.

hmm I guess I didnt miss any ingredient. LOL, ok, just grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of course, and enjoy it with spicy biryani ^_^

As salamu alaikum..

I dont know abt this cilantro leaves but corriander leaves are added and they are chopped..

The rest of the ingredients are right..

Khuda Hafiz..

• Advanced Member
Iraqi-American with a touch of Desi influence. The perfect Muslim food, eh? :-D

(salam)

Lol...i suppose so..All the stuff I know is Indian-Irani,so i cant post any authentic Indian recipes coz I dont know any :squeez:

My mum makes the most delicious creamy spinach soup

My mom makes the best Chicken soup ever.

Spinach soup too does sound good. :)

This is a good site for all the females and fag.gif

http://food.sify.com/

Peer you a chef?

He is practicing to be a housewife fag.gif

Reminds me of Jack Tripper on Three's Company.

And you remind me of Sam Walls....

Edited by whizbee
  • Advanced Member

Ermm..

As salamu alaikum..

I dont know abt this cilantro leaves but corriander leaves are added and they are chopped..

The rest of the ingredients are right..

Khuda Hafiz..

salaam alaikum

It's the same thing.

wa salaam

• Advanced Member

Salaam alaikum

Abbie too bad you don't eat meat cause nehari is sooooo good. I actually made some a couple weeks back turned out really good. I used shan spice mix and the only meat I had was chicken so thats what I used.

wa salaam

Guest abaleada

Peer, thank you so much! You don't even know the half of it how much I have missed that stuff? Are you sure about the garlic? Hasnain, is it actually called rayta wen it has the yoghurt? Are rayta and chatni the same thing?

Fatimah, sis, I wonder if I could put in some large mushrooms instead?

Speaking of which, does anyone have good mushroom recipes? Or recipes where mushroom would replace the meat nicely enough? Sometimes shrooms are so addictive mashallah. They're healthy, too - they can ward off radiation sickness. Remember that for ziyarat to Karbala an Najaf.

• Advanced Member
Salaam alaikum

Abbie too bad you don't eat meat cause nehari is sooooo good. I actually made some a couple weeks back turned out really good. I used shan spice mix and the only meat I had was chicken so thats what I used.

wa salaam

You made Nihari! Dang thats hard even for desis :) Nice!

Never had chicken nihari though.... is it just as sticky?

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

• Advanced Member
fresh cilantro leaves

urdu translation of that please :P we make my papa's version of this yoghurt ;)

Taza Hara dhaniyee ki gaddi ^_^

(Shaan's garam masala is easily available

they are my folks :D

palak paneer is yumm...but we make it a bit differently :donno:

ermm I dont know I just got it off bewarchi site..

• Advanced Member
Peer, thank you so much! You don't even know the half of it how much I have missed that stuff? Are you sure about the garlic?

Yes, atleast thats how my mum makes it..

Garlic is good, healthy, tastes great!! You just need to brush your teeth properly, and make sure you have it as dinner, not lunch :D

Edited by Peer
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Raita reminds me of Baingan(eggplant) ka raita....my favourite raita actually....yum yum.

Anyways,I got this new recipe from an aunty Eggplant ke.

It really turns out nice...not much masala or oil.

So here it is and you should try it out.

You need-

Baingan's (ofcourse :P )

Ginger-garlic paste.

Chopped onion.

Salt to taste (as they say in those recipe books B) )

I have not written the quantity because that depends on how much you are making...go by your gut feeling and Inshallah,it will be okay. :D

Steam the baingan's in a pressure cooker and then mash them.

Put oil in a frying pan (I put very little coz my mum is very anti-oil..hehe) and then put in the chopped onion,fry till golden brown,then dunk in the paste and keep stirring till the oil comes on top and it starts smelling good ( :blink: ).

After that put in the Baingan's and salt and Red chilli powder (optional) and let it simmer for sometime.You can also put in a paste of raw mangoes.It can be substitued with curd or you can put it both :!!!: ..it gives a nice soury flavour to the whole thing.After that you need to leave it for sometime and then Voila!!!.........its ready to eat B)

By the way,who is good in baking stuff here....I love baking. :wub:

Edited by whizbee
  • Advanced Member
Taza Hara dhaniyee ki gaddi

err its called CORIANDER :!!!:

Yes, atleast thats how my mum makes it..

peer ko mama ki bohot yaad aa rahi hai :no:

yea whiz thats sounds like a bharta not a raayta coz u have dahi to the raaita.. yummm......we roast the baingan and add dahi to it...the baingan raaita lol....i'll put the recipe down after asking ummi ^_^

Edited by Nida_e_Zahra
  • Advanced Member
Yes I know its not raita...i just remembered this recipe at the mention of Baingan.

Samjhee tum??

lol yeah :wub:

I jus had my mum write down the recipe for Baingan ka Raaita...and the Lucknowi Dahi that you eat with biryani...well u get served the green yoghurt and the red one same time ;) yuummmm