Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Desi etc. Recipes

Guest abaleada

• Advanced Member
Hey hold on............I can take guarantee only for Mumbai.......I have never been to any other place in India..... 

lolz my sis is asking, is mumbai full of goons like in munna bhai? or is it a pretty safe city? lolz she doesnt want to get mugged or kidnapped if we go there :!!!: lil kids :rolleyes: she wants an answer from someone who has been there, wont listen to me.... <_< what a paranoid kid.... :rolleyes:

Mumbai is the safest city in India.

You can go out alone in the middle of the night and you will be safe...its always as bright as day....I dont know .....the other cities are weird,I have heard so much bizarre stuff about Delhi and bangalore....... *shudder*

N there are bhais..lol......lol..........but they are "normal" people...... :rolleyes:

Steam the baingans never...aprostrophe...plural

I get it sis abbie,I get it. :Hijabi:....thanks :)

Sis the recipe is above and it doesn't say it in the recipe but you can also divide the dough and make smaller ones. 

:squeez:

I thought that was a pizza recipe.

Thanks. :D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ermm.. Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt. hmm I guess I didnt miss any ingredient. LOL, ok, just grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of

Hey bro Peer are you talking about 'chatni' here? Cause it seems like it. My family doesn't eat rice without chatni. My dad is so addicted to it, that sometime he drink glasses full of chatni.... If t

(salam) This is a good site for all the females and http://food.sify.com/ He is practicing to be a housewife Reminds me of Jack Tripper on Three's Company.

Posted Images

• Advanced Member
Mumbai is the safest city in India.

You can go out alone in the middle of the night and you will be safe...its always as bright as day....I dont know .....the other cities are weird,I have heard so much bizarre stuff about Delhi and bangalore....... *shudder*

N there are bhais..lol......lol..........but they are "normal" people......

Lolz thanks, i showed my sis your post and now she also wants to go there :D ^_^

• 5 months later...
Guest abaleada

Recipes Compiled So Far

Abbie's Americanised Dal

I get the dal spice box from the store, scoop out two flat spoons of the spice mix, and slap it into frying onions, garlic, tomatoes, green chili peppers, and potatoes - I use more tomatoes than recommended, try to get the potatoes a bit soft so get a thicker sauce, and use only two peppers. I prefer to remove the peppers before the dal is finished. I boil up the dal on the side - the softer the better - and add everything from the frypan once it's all finished. Regarding tomatoes, not only do I put in more than the usual, I also partition them: some I put in right away to incorporate the flavour into the mix and get those curled tomatoe skins, then sometimes I toss some in halfway through tyhe cooking, and then I throw some larger chunks toward the end to get juicy tomato chunks in the actual dal. If, while the frypan mix is wroking, two scoops of spice doesn't seem enough, I sprinkle in more until it smells just right. (note after comments from more experienced cooks, note that the potatoes are my American addition)

Spicy Green Yoghurt (Raita and whatever else people call it)

Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt. Grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of course, and enjoy it with spicy biryan

Spicy Green...Stuff...? :-D

Green chatni

Garlic, Green chillies, Salt to taste, Corriander leaves. Blend with a spoon of water. Ready to eat with samosas.

Lucknow Version of spiced yoghurt

(this one is red, not green)

Roast sookha coriander or use coriander powder, add red chilli and cumin seeds, then blend, add chopped garlic, salt, and yoghurt, blend for a bit.

Palak Paneer

Ingredients:

3 bunches of spinach

1 Onion (chopped finely)

1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste

10 Green Chillies

1 cup Milk

2 tbsp Cream

1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder (Shaan's garam masala is easily available)

1 tbsp Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)

500 gms of diced cheese

2 big Tomatoes (chopped finely)

Method:

Clean and wash palak nicely. Chop palak.

Boil palak and chopped green chillies for 10 mins. Cool and grind to a fine paste. Roast Kasuri methi on a tava for half a min (see that you don't burn it) and powder it by rubbing it between your palms.

In a kadai fry onion till brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for sometime.

Add chopped tomatoes and fry till oil shows on top. Add palak paste and Kasuri methi and fry. Add milk. Add garam masala powder and 2 tbsp cream and paneer diced. Add salt. Cook for 5 mins.

Before serving add 1 tbsp of butter (optional).

aunty Eggplant ke (Urdu grammar check, please)

Baingans (never use apostrophe for plural)

Ginger-garlic paste.

Chopped onion.

Salt to taste

Steam the baingans (never...aprostrophe...plural) in a pressure cooker and then mash them. Put oil in a frying pan and then put in the chopped onion,fry till golden brown,then dunk in the paste and keep stirring till the oil comes on top and it starts smelling good. After that put in the Baingans (never...apostrophe...plural) and salt and red chilli powder (optional) and let it simmer for some time. You can also put in a paste of raw mangos. It can be substitued with curd or you can put in both - it gives a nice soury flavour to the whole thing. After that you need to leave it for some time until ready to eat.

Friend of All's Pototo Special

(aloo ki subzee?)

Ingredients:

Potatoes, Garlic paste, Red chilly powder, Salt to taste, Corriander, cumin powder, Rai (mustard seeds), oil for frying, Curry leaves.

Method:

Put oil in pan. Heat. Add curry leaves and fry. Add garlic paste. Fry until smell of garlic vanishes (absolutely necessary). Add in potatoes (already boiled and diced), fry more, add the spices. Fry and fry some more. Put in lemon juice..you can remove curry leaves after you're done.

Lady Fingers (Lilac Fatimah's Tea Biscuits/Galletas)

Ingredients:

3 eggs separated

2/3 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour

1/4 cup white sugar

Method:

Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add 1/3 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating until stiff. Beat egg yolks until thick, and beat in 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla and salt. Fold egg yolk mixture and flour into egg whites. Spoon mixture into pastry tube or bag, with a plain 1/2 inch opening. Press tube to form fingers 3 inches long on ungreased heavy brown paper placed on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and bake at 360� F 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and lift from paper with metal spatula. Put fingers together with lemon filling or jam, or serve singly.

Yield: 6 dozen single fingers

AlooPalak (potato and spinach)

Ingredients:

Fresh spinach( dried washed and chopped finely)

Garlic cloves

Tomato paste

Red chilly powder

cumin seeds

Onion

Oil

Potatoes (diced cubes small in size..)

Salt to taste

Method:

Fry onions chopped and cloves of garlic and cumin seeds in oil. After this add the spinach and potatoes (with spinach; we also add methi and soya). Then, add little water and tomato paste, close the lid and let it cook then add other spices like red chilly powder, salt..cook for another few minutes and done.

Friend of All's Proper Bhindi

Ingredients:

Lady fingers/okra

Oil

Potatoes

Ginger garlic paste

Corriander and cumins seeds powder..

salt to taste

Turmeric powder..(thats haldii)

Red chilly powder

Tomato paste

Curd

Fried onions-crushed

Method:

Wash and remove the top and bottom of okra then slice it vertically. Cut potatoes very small, almost diced. Put oil in a pan and fry boiled & cut potatoes for about 10 minutes. Add ginger/garlic paste and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add okra and salt and turmeric. Let fry for at least 20 min. (removes the stickyness - if u fry less, it is more sticky) After frying, add corriander and cumin powder, red chilly powder, tbsp of curd, tbsp of tomato paste, and tablespoon of crushed fried onions. Close lid and let simmer.

Zahra's Gulab Jam

warning: very fattening :-D

Balls:

3 cups milk powder

1/2 cup flour

2 tble spoons Butter (i think-try it )

1 level teaspoon baking powder

Mix and roll into balls.

Syrup:

1 Heaping cup suger and 3 cups water. Boil thoroughly, sticky when ready. add zaffran(before boil, or after?)

Finish:

After frying in ghee, leave to drip off for 2-5 mins then dump into the chasni (syrup)

LilacFatimah's Calzones

1 package yeast

1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 3/4 cups flour

1 can mushroom, drained

1/4 green peppers

2 slices onions

1 jar Ragu pizza sauce (any flavor you like)

1 teaspoon italian seasoning

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

1. Dough: Dissolve yeast in 1 Cup of warm water.

2. Mix sugar, oil, salt, and flour and then add to yeast and water.

3. Mix together until smooth.

4. Knead and cover for 30 min.

5. In a separate bowl, mix mushrooms, green pepper, onion, Ragu, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, garlic salt,

6. Roll out dough in an approximate 10" circle.

7. Place 1-2 cups of sauce mix in center of dough.

8. Add cheese to sauce in the calzones.

9. Fold over and crimp shut.

10. Place on greased cookie sheet.

11. After 15 minutes cooking brush with melted butter.

12. Cook for a total of 25 minutes at 375 degrees or until golden brown Cover with remaining sauce and cheese

Matar Pulao (Rice With Peas)

Ingredients

1 c long grain Indian Basmati Rice

2 c warm water + extra water for washing and soaking rice

salt to taste

1/2 tsp black pepper powder

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 bay leaf

2 - 2 inch cinnamon sticks

1 black cardamom

1 onion, finely sliced long

1 tbsp raisins

1/2 c frozen peas, washed and drained

2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter

Method

* Wash rice thoroughly and soak in water for half an hour. Drain thoroughly.

* In a pan, heat ghee or clarified butter. Fry half the onion, until golden brown. Remove and set aside for garnish.

* Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon.

* When cumin seeds sizzle, add the rice. Add salt and pepper. Stir till ghee coats every grain of rice and rice looks glossy.

* Add warm water. Bring to a boil. Add the peas and the raisins. Stir once.

* Reduce heat to minimum and cover the pan with a lid. Leave a little gap, otherwise water will boil over.

* Rice will be done when holes appear on the surface and water has been completely absorbed.

* Fork the rice out onto a serving serving dish. This will separate each grain out. Garnish with fried onion. Serve hot with any curry.

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6927/im_peas_pulao.html

http://food.sify.com

http://www.desicookbook.com

What is the Urdu word for (green) peas?

[answer from Peer: matar]

Anyone have more peas recipes? Especially with rich delicious sauce? for me

Guest abaleada

Can anyone think up a vegan recipe for gulab jam? I went completely vegan during Ramadan, except for some shreds of meat that I wasn't able to pick out of the communal iftar meals; and I hope to go completely vegan again for Hajj and Muharram. After that, I will probably stay vegan. We'll see. So if anyone can think up a recipe for gulab jam without milk or any dairy/eggs, that would be nice. My definition of vegan, btw, does not yet include honey.

• Advanced Member
Can anyone think up a vegan recipe for gulab jam? I went completely vegan during Ramadan, except for some shreds of meat that I wasn't able to pick out of the communal iftar meals; and I hope to go completely vegan again for Hajj and Muharram. After that, I will probably stay vegan. We'll see. So if anyone can think up a recipe for gulab jam without milk or any dairy/eggs, that would be nice. My definition of vegan, btw, does not yet include honey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sis, do you mean Gulab jamuns??

If yes, then its entirely impossible..I don't follow how you resist eating such yummy stuff??

Guest abaleada

(bismillah)

(salam)

FoA: I can resist eating them, because I know how awful I will feel afterward. Do you guys realise how long it has been since I last ingested mainstream chocolate?

Now, I have indeed been stuffing dairy products into me because I do want to feel the difference when I do it all again during the months of Hajj and Muharram. However, it is very, very difficult. First of all, we simply cannot afford all this dairy stuff. Second of all, my mind and body resist this onslaught very much. I haven't exactly been feeling very healthy.

This is just my own personal experiment. It all began when I experienced a bought of poverty a year or a year and a half ago wherein I couldn't afford milk, cheese, or eggs. When my financial situation improved and I began to get those things again, I realised that I literally could not stomach dairy, even though I enjoyed it. After that, I began to learn how to cook without dairy products and have drastically improved these past few months. When Ramadan came around, I decided to employ one of the fasting methods of modern Catholic Christians: give something up for the month. So I gave up dairy and went vegan. I honestly feel that my spiritual experience that month was vastly improved. When Ramadan ended, I gorged on pizza to evaluate the difference. Since then, I have been trying to get some milk, cheese, or eggs in my each day until Hajj and Muharram start so that I will also see whatever difference there might be then, too.

I will ask someone whom I know to translate the mainstream recipe into vegan/raw. When I get the translated recipe, I will post it.

My husband makes an excellent rice dish, as well as an awesome eggplant dish. Once I figure out how to describe them, I will post them, even though they are Iraqi dishes.

Edited by abaleada
  • Advanced Member

As salamu alaikum..

Yeah sis, I know one recipe which has wheat flour as the base..

Its the Aloo Parathas..

Very simple and yummy and vegan diet too..:D

You need:

Wheat flour, salt and water for the dough..

Potatoes boiled and finely grated..

Once you've boiled teh potatoes and finely grated them, add red chilly powder (not totally ground one..), salt, Cumin seeds crushed, black pepper, a bit of turmeric powder, green chillies finely cut (I guess tahts it..)

The dought that you've already prepared, make two small chapatis out of it having 4 inch diametre. Spread some of the potato mix over one of these. Cover with the other one. Close the edges. Now roll it just as you roll an ordinary chapati.

Fry it with some oil..Enjoy your paratha..

WaSalam..

Guest abaleada

(bismillah)

(salam)

FoA, is it possible to add spinach to this recipie, or is that not advisable here?

It takes more than chili powder to sneak a painful sting into my food. I know how to spice to taste, alhamdulillah. When I get half a chance, I will update the recipes list and repost it.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Yaar does some one know how to make Achaar at home...?

So many varieties; which is it you want; mango pickles, lemon, same/papdi (don't know the English equivalent of that), then there are non-veg. pickles too.......

Was salaam

*Zahra*

• Advanced Member
Yaar does some one know how to make Achaar at home...?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL

There is a thing in our family.. They say if we like make achar at home, someone will die..

My paternal aunt was like ah its [Edited Out], and she did it and my grandfather (her father) died.. :unsure:

then like after 20 years, my mum was like, ah [Edited Out], that must be a coincidence, and she did it and a lady who lived in our house died. :unsure:

LOL, not that I believe it is true, but would not wanna do it.. :wacko:

It's amazing though, isn't it? :D

• Advanced Member

Hey btw there is an amazing spinach, cream soup that my mum makes..

Has anyone else tried it? I think all you need for it is spinach, cream, milk, chicken stock (<-- not sure), and salt .. and if u like those bread sticks..

it tastes great!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abaleada

aaaauuuuuugggggghhhhhhh!!!

I only have flour, oil, vegi shortening, salt, and very very possibly baking soda in the house! I need a bread recipe! Helllllpppppp!!!!

-Abbie. Hungry.

Hungry. Abbie.

Hungry, Hungry, Hungry.