Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Desi etc. Recipes

Guest abaleada

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ermm.. Green chillies, fresh cilantro leaves, few cloves of garlic (mash it), ginger paste, salt. hmm I guess I didnt miss any ingredient. LOL, ok, just grind all of this with white plain yoghurt, of

Hey bro Peer are you talking about 'chatni' here? Cause it seems like it. My family doesn't eat rice without chatni. My dad is so addicted to it, that sometime he drink glasses full of chatni.... If t

(salam) This is a good site for all the females and http://food.sify.com/ He is practicing to be a housewife Reminds me of Jack Tripper on Three's Company.

Posted Images

• Advanced Member
i luv okra. especially the way my mum makes it  ahhhhhh i can taste it now....

:D

seeeeeeee peer and gol guppeh ^_^ bhindi is yum acha...especially with gili roti..and especially wen its raining and its moharram time and ur near ur imambaray ki dehleeeezzz :wub: can't wait 2 get u lot the pics...of the place ^_^

• Advanced Member

Thats my fav recipe..dice potatoes and first fry them with the ginger garlic paste and oil ofcourse..later add lady fingers and fry/cook with all the other spices u usually add..plus, for me bhindis w/o aloo..never..:P

• Advanced Member
Edit: whats okra..:donno:

What are lady fingers? For me that is a cookie :blink: Fried okra is big in the south. I used to eat it as a kid but Not anymore.

Does anybody have the recipe for aloo and spinach? I think it has garlic paste some red pepper flakes etc. And I personally don't like fresh cilantro/ corriander so feel free to omit from recipe :P

wa salaam

in case anyone is intrested:

Lady Fingers

Ingredients

3 eggs separated

2/3 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour

1/4 cup white sugar

Method

Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add 1/3 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating until stiff.

Beat egg yolks until thick, and beat in 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla and salt. Fold egg yolk mixture and flour into egg whites. Spoon mixture into pastry tube or bag, with a plain 1/2 inch opening. Press tube to form fingers 3 inches long on ungreased heavy brown paper placed on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and bake at 360° F 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and lift from paper with metal spatula. Put fingers together with lemon filling or jam, or serve singly.

Yield: 6 dozen single fingers

post-30-1088789707_thumb.jpg

Edited by lilacfatima
  • Advanced Member
Here's one:

Dumpling "Eggdrop" Dal Chaat

That's Chaat not chat. Chaat is like a tangy, spicy saucy dipping, dunking stuff. It's real good and taste yummy. It's a mixture of a Muslim Chinese recipe with a touch of basel and black beans. And what makes it desi is the tangy and spicy masala.

Wa Salaam,

Dhulfiqar

wat the hell? muslim chinese food??

wats muslim food? there is halal...or there is food that originates from different regions/cultures ie paki food

basel? blak beans? do u mean channey and daniya?

• Advanced Member

Edit: whats okra..:donno:

What are lady fingers? For me that is a cookie :blink: Fried okra is big in the south. I used to eat it as a kid but Not anymore

As salamu alaikum..

You see lady fingers are veggies.. :D the pic is posted is right, but we have it as a kida curry( not exactly) we have it with bread..never heard of lady finger cookies..

But, I still couldnt get okra..any pic??

Does anybody have the recipe for aloo and spinach? I think it has garlic paste some red pepper flakes etc. And I personally don't like fresh cilantro/ corriander so feel free to omit from recipe :P

Arright, heres ur recipe for AlooPalak..thats Potato and spinach..

You need

Fresh spinach( dried washed and chopped finely)

Garlic cloves

Tomato paste

Red chilly powder

cumin seeds

Onion

Oil

Potatoes (diced cubes small in size..)

Salt to taste

Fry onions chopped and cloves of garlic and cumin seeds in oil..after this add the spinach and potatoes( with spinach we also add methi and soya )

Then, add little water and tomato paste, close the lid and let it cook then add other spices like red chilly powder, salt..cook for another few mins and done..

Enjoy..

WaSalam..

• Advanced Member
i luv okra. especially the way my mum makes it  ahhhhhh i can taste it now....

:D

seeeeeeee peer and gol guppeh ^_^ bhindi is yum acha...especially with gili roti..and especially wen its raining and its moharram time and ur near ur imambaray ki dehleeeezzz :wub: can't wait 2 get u lot the pics...of the place ^_^

Bhindi in Muharram? :blink:

• Advanced Member

salaam alaikum

Thanks sis! ^_^ Or should I say shukria, my freinds are trying to teach me urdu and arabic every once in awhile I actually pick up a word LOL. By the way what is this (methi and soya )? Yeah the pic I posted was me showing you what okra was :P Sorry I didn't actually say that.

wa salaam

Edited by lilacfatima
  • Advanced Member

As salamu alaikum..

No problem. sis..:)

Did u try out spinach??

Methi is fenugreek leaves...if u have any desi grocery store near your place, you can easily get those..methi is like a bundle of stem with small green leaves and tehy are too muddy :donno: you gotta wash them really thoroughly..

fenugreekleaves.jpg

Btw, okra is a word of which language?? :unsure:

WaSalam..

• Advanced Member

well i've also tried the Aaloo Bhindi Bhujia(dint know Bhindi is also called Okra)its good,nida do try it

Karelas r good if not bitter when they r cooked,i dunt like it though,but my mum makes really good chanay ki dal karela n Qeema karela as well,if ne1 interested ,ask for the recipie

wassalam

• Advanced Member
well i've also tried the Aaloo Bhindi Bhujia(dint know Bhindi is also called Okra)its good,nida do try it

yeah...i just couldn't find bhindi here :donno:

Karelas r good if not bitter when they r cooked,i dunt like it though,but my mum makes really good chanay ki dal karela n Qeema karela as well,if ne1 interested ,ask for the recipie

yeah it depends on who's cooking...sum1 i know cooks karela n they turn out to be karwa neem charha wot not...but the way mummy makes it its not bitter at all :donno:

Guest abaleada
(salam)
Desi etc. Recipes, call for recipes from Indo-Pak, Afgh...

Sis Abaleada your title is wrong, Afghan's aren't desis. lol

Desi etc. Recipes, call for recipes from Indo-Pak, Afgh...
Sis Abaleada your title is wrong, Afghan's aren't desis. lol

:o Ah, just noticed that. Ah, ya3ni I can post Afghan recipesl!!

And yeah, Us Afghans are not desis!

I know. I do, however, think of the greater region extending from Iran to Turkey to Agfhanistan to the Subcontinent as tied together by certain similarities. Delicious food tops the list. And with Pashtuns being in Afghanistan, it is so difficult to forget that it is not Desi.

This thread is growing faster than I can read, mashallah.

If there are aloo recipes up, I hope to grab some.

Edited by abaleada
Guest abaleada

If banjan is eggplant, then what is burani?

There is an eggplant that one can pick up in tin cans whose tops you can peel back with a tab instead with a can opener. It tastes a bit roasted, and it seems to be in a tomato sauce. So how do I get a raw eggplant with two of those tough spikey leaves leaves on top to turn into that breakfast delicacy in the tin without dashing off to the overpriced halal market?

Edited by abaleada
Guest abaleada
As salamu alaikum,

A pototo special:

Ingredients:

Potatoes, Garlic paste, Red chilly powder, Salt to taste, Corriander cumin powder, Rai( donno the english for it.:P), oil for frying, Curry leaves..

Method:

Put oil in pan..heat it..add curry leaves and fry, add garlic paste fry till smell of garlic vanishes..(this is a must..) now add in potatoes(already  boiled and then diced), fry more, add the spices..fry and fry..and done..

Put in lemon juice..you can remove curry leaves after you're done..)

Enjoy..

WaSalam..

If you find a picture or description of rai, can you post it up? How long does it usually take for the smell of garlic to disappear?

If the end, is there only potatoes in the bowl swimming in sauce? Or might it be possible to add other vegis?

WOrst vegetables:

1) Okra

2) Pumpkin

3) Eggplant

4) Turnips

:sick:

and whats so good about Okra? it's so sticky.. eww.. as sticky as Payee :sick:

I do enjoy a slimy okra. However, I have not learned how to make a proper bhindi. Help?

As we age, our taste buds mellow. I hated broccoli as a child, but by my teens, I was waffling them up like no tomorrow. I've been eating asparagus from Gramma's garden since I was kid, so it might also be that we all prefer fresh vegis and not already overcooked stuff from that salty water tin can mix. I always hated carrots until the time that I ate one fresh from the store instead of after being boiled to death and soaked up in butter. I loved it raw. Keep a list of foods that you abhor today and check it again when you are 30. The differences might surprise you.

Edited by abaleada
  • Advanced Member
Could someone post the spelling of "tea" and "six" in Urdu script? I need to see if they are different and how. Another interesting thing: Biscuits are British for (American) cookies; galletas is the Spanish word for cookies.

ﻫﭼ = six

چائے = Tea

Wa'Salam

Ali

Edited by Peer
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

If banjan is eggplant, then what is burani?

These are Farsi words:

Badenjan = eggplant, the word actually just describes the colour of eggplant.

Burani = a dish of spinach, or cut up spinach, or something cut up.

In Iran Burani or Borani is usually a spinach and yogurt type dish.

and "Cha'ee" is actually originally Chinese for tea.

Even in Farsi and Afghani Farsi/dari it's noted as originally Chinese, that's why in Arabic they say Sha'ee they don't have the "ch" but in farsi they say Cha'ee.

wa salam :)

• Advanced Member

:unsure: lol i made a really horrible mistake today, my mum puts elachi seeds and rai seeds in bottles that look the same, so she was making some sweet thingy gulab jamun i think n she told me to put elachi seeds in it, n of course i cant tell the difference i thought hey seeds are seeds n it looked the same too, (how many 14 year old can actually tell the difference anyways <_< ) so i went ahead n put a whole bunch of rai seeds in it. now the whole dish is ruined, thank god my mum didnt get mad she just had a mad laughing fit, and then she was wondering how the heck im going to get married....

oh well. does anyone have any major cooking disaters they want to share?

:angel: ( :shaytan: )

• Advanced Member
There is a small software for this..

Some people do it thru MS Word too..

o i want tht :D

yea last time i was in the kitchen i was trying to make roast chicken and the whole cooker was on fire...and top of that i screamed instead of throwing cloth on it :donno: :Hijabi: