Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)(bismillah)

'Of Roses and Thorns'

20100714165735105_roses.jpg

A certain man planted a rose and watered it faithfully. Before it blossomed, he examined it.

He saw a bud that would soon blossom.

He also saw the thorns, and he thought,

"How can any beautiful flower come from a plant,

Burdened with so many sharp thorns?"

Saddened by this thought,

He neglected to water the rose,

And before it was ready to bloom, it died.

So it is with many people...

Within every soul ... there is a Rose.

The "G-d-like" qualities planted in us at birth,

Growing amidst the thorns of our faults.

Many of us look at ourselves and

See only the thorns, the defects.

We despair, thinking nothing good

Can possibly come from us.

We neglect to water the good within us,

And eventually it dies.

We never realize our potential.

Some don't see the rose within themselves...

It takes someone else to show it to them.

One of the greatest gifts a person can possess...

Is to be able to reach past the thorns

And find the rose within others.

This is the truest, most innocent,

And gracious characteristic of love -

To know another person,

Including their faults,

Recognize the nobility in their soul,

And yet still help another to

Realize they can overcome their faults.

If we show them the rose,

They will conquer the thorns.

Only then will they blossom,

And most likely, blooming thirty,

Sixty, a hundred-fold,

As it is given to them.

Our duty in this world is to help others,

By showing them their roses and not their thorns.

It is then that we achieve the

Love we should feel for each other.

Only then can we bloom

In our own garden.

Edited by Ahmad.G
  • Banned

representing the pakis on this board! we cant have the AY-RABS taking all the cute points now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNJ_bvNxa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsxvZtyej50&NR=1

Edited by maula dha mallang
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

if anyone is familiar with the video on youtube title "Ana Zaynab" please if you know the translation for it then post it. Its so beautiful in arabic and i can only understand parts of it. I looked online for translations but i couldnt find any. So if any one could help I would really appreciate it. Here's the link to the video. ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtBF493QKiM

Thanks so much :)

• 1 month later...

Mashallah,

This is an amazing piece. You have used a rose, something percieved to be simple and unfolded the complexity which lies beneath the folds of life. You have done a great job by using the rose as analogy to signify inner beauty. Jazakallah khair for sharing your wisdom through this brilliant piece :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

(A book review)

Assalaamu Álaykum,

Have you heard of her? Asma Gull Hasan author of ‘Why I am a Muslim’ and ‘American born Muslim’ ?

I find her to be quite a voice for American (western) Muslims you can view some of her TV interviews from her website at:

Asma Gull Hasan website

She’s (in my opinion) a very good writer and at times very witty. Her book ‘Why I am a Muslim’ helps non-Muslims understand the hardships that an American Muslims sometimes faces and enlightens the readers of the faith and practices of mainstream Muslims. Asma seems to really embrace her faith and as a first generation Muslim she integrates her Americanism into her Islamic culture seamlessly. Asma explains the commonalities with Judaism, Christianity and Islam and adamantly apposes terrorism within many interviews. She is certainly an advocate for all women’s rights and describers herself as a feminist. (so when given an opportunity to be heard she puts her best Muslim foot forward --- I applaud her for that). She’s well spoken, articulate and obviously smart.

I have to admit I was a bit concerned to see how she looks on the cover of her book. She does not wear hijab and her clothes are very ‘clingy’ and show off how attractive she is.. So at first I was not sure about reading it..(BUT ..you cannot judge a book by it’s cover).

I enjoyed ‘Why I am a Muslim’ and I do see her views in many areas (but not all). At the very least Asma is out there trying to tell the world that Islam is for peace NOT violence and terrorism and for this she should be rewarded.

Just curious to know if anyone has read her book or if they are aware of her? What are your thoughts and views of Asma Gull Hasan?

Wasalaam

Janaan

i dont like this book to read .

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Anyone seen it? If so, what are your thoughts on the movie? Was there important material that should have been included, did it answer some of the pressing questions on the life of the Prophet (pbuh) or is it simply a memorable masterpiece that displays Hollywood's rare moments of investing some noble effort in portraying the orient in a positive light?

For those who don't know 'The Message' is a film made in 1976 about the life of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and was directed by Moustapha Akkad; it was initially made to build cultural bridges between the occident and the orient. There were two releases of the movie, one in english and the other in arabic (with some different actors for the same personalities portrayed).

• Advanced Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E21DavYv9og

wallah such a good film i think it would be good if allot of westurners watched this film and see the true islam

Man you're the best for posting this video on SC! I just love it no matter what, even if ghadir and important battles like khaybar and mo'ta weren't acted out.

• Veteran Member

I liked it, but I think it suffered a bit from not showing the bodies of the main personalities at all. Not showing the faces is fine, but to not show the bodies, and have all their words repeated by another person was a bit much.

It was done to keep Sunnis satisfied, who are overly sensitive to any portrayal of body or voice of the Prophet and close companions. I don't see the problem with that, though.

Not to mention that there were enough fatawa of kufr hurled upon the poor director and his team. And finally, they blew him into pieces along with his daughter in a Jordanian restaurant a few years ago.

Anyway, as to the film, I watched it a long time ago but the character of Hamza is printed in my subconscious. Anthony Quinn did an absolutely fabulous job with his role. What a striking depiction of the great man.

I also like the fact that the storyline was quiet neutral and avoided controversial Shia-Sunni issues. We have Iranian Payam films for that.

There was a talk of a remake of the same film recently. I think it is much needed. Wonder what happened to the plan? Does anyone know about it?

• Site Administrators

Anyway, as to the film, I watched it a long time ago but the character of Hamza is printed in my subconscious. Anthony Quinn did an absolutely fabulous job with his role. What a striking depiction of the great man.

Same here.... loved the character of Hazrat Hamza....

Not to mention that there were enough fatawa of kufr hurled upon the poor director and his team. And finally, they blew him into pieces along with his daughter in a Jordanian restaurant a few years ago.

That is so sad.....

• Advanced Member

This tragedy will never be forgotten for someone as legendary as Mr. Akkad.

There was a talk of a remake of the same film recently. I think it is much needed. Wonder what happened to the plan? Does anyone know about it?

Yeah there's news that the director of the Matrix trilogy is cooperating with a Qatari film company to make a lengthy film on Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)... though I envision the american theatres to resonate with tension thanks to the modern youth's exposure to the outdated polemics that continue to be parroted all across the internet.

I'm almost certain you're well familiar with these infamous polemics.

• 5 months later...

The tweeters who thought world's most famous shipwreck was just a film

As the world commemorates the centenary of the Titanic's sinking, thousands of people have taken to the internet to discuss the historic anniversary.

But the event has evidently proven more educational for some than others.

A number of tweeters have used the micro-blogging site to confess that they were unaware that the Titanic was a real ship.

The ill-informed netizens sparked an online backlash, with hundreds sharing their disgust at the apparent ignorance.

article-2129971-1299BD06000005DC-480_468x435.jpg

Ignorant: These tweeters had no idea the Titanic was a real ship

RMS Titanic sank in the early hours of April 15 1912, after being struck by an iceberg during her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.

But for many of the younger generation, the ship is more familiar from the 1997 film about its demise starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

And it seems that several fans of the movie failed to grasp that it was based on a true story - albeit with invented characters.

A screenshots of tweets from people realising that the tragic tale is non-fictional was first circulated on social news site Reddit.

article-2129971-1299C9B3000005DC-718_468x439.jpg

Revelation: It took until the centenary of the Titanic disaster for some internet users to discover the truth

'Only just found out Titanic was real #wtf' was one typical response to the revelation.

Another user wrote: 'Is it bad that I didn't know the Titanic was real? Always thought it was just a film'.

A third posted: 'The Titanic was real holy s*** I'm never going on a cruise'.

article-2129971-001AE32F00000258-669_468x322.jpg

Fact? Most historians agree that the Titanic was real and did hit an iceberg

article-2129971-0007817D00000258-556_468x316.jpg

Or fiction? Some people only know the story through the 1997 blockbuster

More knowledgeable tweeters were quick to latch on to the embarrassing error.

'The ignorance is astounding,' wrote one commenter.

Another joked: 'Loving the people on Twitter who didn't realize Titanic was a real ship. More secrets, so was the iceberg, kids. Celine Dion is fictional.'

• Veteran Member

Im sure there are conspiracy theorists out there who think it didnt. Like maybe really it was like the movie Cocoon and the real ship full of alien lizard zionist masons ascended space ward and it was a replica that sunk. That kind of thing.