Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member

[color=#000000:post_uid4]http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/axis.shtml

"In Speech, Bush Calls Iraq, Iran and North Korea 'Axis of Evil" -- N.Y. Times, 1/30/02

ANGERED BY SNUBBING, LIBYA, CHINA

SYRIA FORM AXIS OF JUST AS EVIL

Cuba, Sudan, Serbia Form Axis of Somewhat Evil; Other Nations Start Own Clubs

Bitter after being snubbed for membership in the "Axis of Evil," Libya, China, and Syria today announced they had formed the "Axis of Just as Evil," which they said would be way eviler than that stupid Iran-Iraq-North Korea axis President Bush warned of his State of the Union address.

Axis of Evil members, however, immediately dismissed the new axis as having, for starters, a really dumb name. "Right. They are Just as Evil... in their dreams!" declared North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. "Everybody knows we're the best evils... best at being evil... we're the best."

Diplomats from Syria denied they were jealous over being excluded, although they conceded they did ask if they could join the Axis of Evil.

"They told us it was full," said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

"An Axis can't have more than three countries," explained Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. "This is not my rule, it's tradition. In World War II you had Germany, Italy, and Japan in the evil Axis. So you can only have three. And a secret handshake. Ours is wicked cool."

THE AXIS PANDEMIC

International reaction to Bush's Axis of Evil declaration was swift, as within minutes, France surrendered.

Elsewhere, peer-conscious nations rushed to gain triumvirate status in what became a game of geopolitical chairs. Cuba, Sudan, and Serbia said they had formed the Axis of Somewhat Evil, forcing Somalia to join with Uganda and Myanmar in the Axis of Occasionally Evil, while Bulgaria, Indonesia and Russia established the Axis of Not So Much Evil Really As Just Generally Disagreeable.

With the criteria suddenly expanded and all the desirable clubs filling up, Sierra Leone, El Salvador, and Rwanda applied to be called the Axis of Countries That Aren't the Worst But Certainly Won't Be Asked to Host the Olympics; Canada, Mexico, and Australia formed the Axis of Nations That Are Actually Quite Nice But Secretly Have Nasty Thoughts About America, while Spain, Scotland, and New Zealand established the Axis of Countries That Sometimes Ask Sheep to Wear Lipstick.

"That's not a threat, really, just something we like to do," said Scottish Executive First Minister Jack McConnell.

While wondering if the other nations of the world weren't perhaps making fun of him, a cautious Bush granted approval for most axes, although he rejected the establishment of the Axis of Countries Whose Names End in "Guay," accusing one of its members of filing a false application. Officials from Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chadguay denied the charges.

Israel, meanwhile, insisted it didn't want to join any Axis, but privately, world leaders said that's only because no one asked them.  :D

Edited By optikalfilter on 1028072035

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Advanced Member

Attorney General John Ashcroft recently met with President Bush to share details of his latest anti-terrorism measures, designed to prevent attacks on America while preserving freedom and human rights for all law-abiding citizens and visitors who don't look Arabic.

Ashcroft: "Mr. President, you'll be glad to know that the FBI database has been improved. It now holds a comprehensive list of groups and individuals that have given us trouble of any sort, including Al Qaeda, Al Jihad and Al Gore."

Bush: "Al Gore? He's not a terrorist, is he?"

Ashcroft: "Probably not, Mr. President. But the FBI tapped his phone line and heard him say he's targeting the White House. We've been spying on him ever since he grew that beard."

Bush: "Good idea, John. The beard was mighty suspicious. Make sure you let me know if you spot him wearing a turban. That's usually the next step. It would give us enough evidence to detain him."

Ashcroft: "Yes, Mr. President. We're also starting a program to fingerprint and photograph visitors from certain countries, particularly the Islamic countries."

Bush: "Good idea, John. And let's not forget the Muslim countries either."

Ashcroft: "Yes, Mr. President. We're trying to use a variety of methods. That's why we're reorganizing the CIA. It will now stand for Central Investigation of Arabs. We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket."

Bush: "That's good, John! Remember: money is no object. We can always buy more baskets. We'll import them if we need to."

Ashcroft: "Uh ... yes, sir, whatever you say. The ACLU claims we're being discriminatory, but let's face facts: One out of ten Arabs hates America. That doesn't seem bad -- until you realize that only one out of 50 hates Salman Rushdie. We need to look at the big picture. If only one out of every 100,000 Arabs is a terrorist, that doesn't seem like a problem. But if we allow a million of them to enter the country, we're admitting 10 terrorists!"

Bush: "That's scary, John. But I have a solution: Let's allow only 999,990 to enter."

Ashcroft: "Yes, but how do we know which 10 to leave out?"

Bush: "Well, we can start with Louis Farrakhan. I never did like him."

Ashcroft: "Uh ... he's African-American, sir. Would you like us to detain him?"

Bush: "Yes, John, for at least a few decades. I noticed you've detained several other people who aren't Arabs."

Ashcroft: "Yes, but they all have connections to the Arab world. For example, we've detained a man named Levi Bara. If you take the first letters of his names and move them to the end, what do you get? Evil Arab. Just a coincidence? I don't think so. We've also detained a woman named Greta Baily. If you rearrange the letters of her names, what do you get? Great Libya."

Bush: "That's scary. But isn't it hard to keep track of all these names?"

Ashcroft: "Well, we're analyzing names using computer software created by an Indian programmer named Prash Desai. We hired him because his name -- you'll be glad to know -- can be rearranged to form Sharp Ideas."

Bush: "Wonderful! It's a good thing we grabbed him before India did. Remind me to tell the Pakistani president, Perverse Mushroom, that we did him a big favor."

• Advanced Member

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

Bismihi Taala

The original meaning of "Ghayb" in Arabic is "that which has been concealed", and it is with this meaning which has appeared in the Holy Quran (4:34, 12:52, etc.) It signifies a meaning opposite to "Hadhir" which means "present to the senses", and thus denotes with things to the external world (i.e., Ma'lumat; known things). This opposition of Ghayb/Hadhir (unseen/present) should not be confused with the opposition of Ilm/Jahl (knowledge/ignorance) in which the latter pair is concerned with the internal act of knowing. So it may happen that something is "Ghayb" in the dimension of time which does not exist now but it will be or it was; or in the dimension of place that is the knowledge of something which is located elsewhere but not here.

The Holy Quran is quite specific about the fact that Allah alone has the knowledge of Ghayb (what is concealed) in the heavens and the earth. Quran tells us that there are keys to the Ghayb which are with Allah:

"With Him are the Keys of the Ghayb; non knows them but He."

(Quran 6:59)

and that no one knows anything of Allah's knowledge except if He will. Quran tells about the knowledge and the intercession of the Prophet Muhammad and his twelve successors that:

"Who can intercede with Him except the cases He permits? He knows what is in front of them (the Prophet and the Imams) and what is behind them, and they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He will." (Quran 2:255)

This shows that the core/keys of the Knowledge of Ghayb is with Allah, but He may release "a news of Ghayb" to the one He wills.

According to the Quran, things which are special property of Allah, such as creation, giving life, curing without medicine, the knowledge of what has happened and what will happen, may either be momentarily given by Him at the moment they are required, or else the power and ability to do them may be given so that they can be used when necessary, by the permission of Allah. An example of the latter comes in the story of Prophet Jesus (as) who, according to Quran, said:

"I have come to you with a sign from your Lord; I will CREATE for you out of clay a figure of a bird, then I will breath into it, and it will be a bird by leave of Allah; I will also HEAL the blind and the leper, and BRING TO LIFE the dead, by leave of Allah. I will also INFORM you of what things you eat and what you treasure up in your houses. Surely, in that is a sign for you, if you are believers." (Quran 3:49; see also 5:110)

Allah let the Prophet and Imams know whatever they needed to know. However, they don't have the whole knowledge within themselves. But Allah would give them whatever they needed any time. It is important to understand that what the prophets or the Imams wish to know is exactly what Allah wished to release to them. They do not wish to know anything that Allah do not want to release to them (among which is the keys to the knowledge of unseen).

Based on Quran and the transmitted traditions by Ahlul-Bayt, Allah has two types of knowledge:

1-

The knowledge that is withheld (i.e., Ghayb). As I mentioned Nobody has control over this type of knowledge except Allah. Allah may inform "a news from Ghayb" to some of His servants, but this is different than "possessing Ghayb". In fact, there is a whole chapter in Usul al-Kafi which discusses this type of knowledge where it is clearly mentioned that neither the Imams nor the prophets possess the knowledge Ghayb. "The Will (Mashiyyah) of Allah operates on this knowledge. If He wishes He decrees it. And If He wishes He modifies it and does not carry it out." (See Usul al-Kafi, Kitab al-Hujjah, Tradition #664)

2-

The knowledge that is granted. "This is the knowledge that Allah fore- ordained (Qadar, Taqdeer), He decrees it, and carries it out (with no modification). And this is the knowledge that has been passed down to the Prophet Muhammad, and then to the Imams." (See Usul al-Kafi, Kitab al-Hujjah, Tradition #664)

"He possesses the Ghayb and He does not discloses His Ghayb to anyone except to such a Messenger as He is well-pleased with." (Quran 72:26-27).

From the above verse, it is evident that although Allah alone possesses the withheld knowledge (Ghayb), but He may disclose a news from it to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF). On the other hand, Prophet Muhammad transferred whatever he was reached from the news of "Ghayb" to those who qualified, as the following verse testifies:

"And he (Muhammad) is not niggardly the Knowledge of the Unseen."

(Quran 81:24).

Therefore, if the news of Ghayb reached to the Prophet Muhammad (and consequently the Imams of Ahlul-Bayt), it is only because it was given to him by Allah. It is for this reason that according to Quran the messengers are all instructed to tell people that they do not possess the Knowledge of Ghayb of their own, for it is reached to them by Allah only as He wishes.

In Usul a-Kafi, it is narrated that:

Ammar al-Sabati said: I asked Abu Abdillah (Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq) concerning if Imam knows al-Ghayb (Unseen). He replied: "No, but when he wishes to know something, Allah causes him to know that." (Usul al-Kafi, Kitab al- Hujjah, Tradition #666)

Shaikh al-Mufeed (d. 413/1022) who was one the outstanding Shia scholars said:

" ... Saying that they (Prophet and Imams) possess the knowledge of Ghayb should be refuted as being something clearly incorrect, because the attribute of this can only be for someone who possesses the knowledge of (all) things within himself, not the knowledge obtained from another. And this can only be for Allah, to whom belong Might and Majesty. All Imamis agree on this except those who deviated from them and are called Mufawwidah and extremists (al-Ghulat)." (Awa'il al- Maqalaat, p38).

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

bismillah

(salam)

[b:post_uid0]HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER NEOJIHAD [/b:post_uid0]

[i:post_uid0] I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE BIRTHDAY ...I HOPE ALL YOUR DREAMS COMES TURE ....ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!..[/i:post_uid0]

BEST WISHES

(salam)

WANASLKOM ALDU'A

shia girl :P

• Advanced Member

[b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0

]Happy Birthday to youuu

Happy Birthday to youuu

Happy Birthday Dear Bro.NeoJihad...

Happy Birthday to youuu!!![/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0]

May all your birthday wishes come true, Insh'Allah :)

Have a great day!!

• Advanced Member

Dear Brother Neojihad,

Salaamun Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatohu.

A belated Happy Birthday to you. I hope you had a wonderful day with your Family and Friends.

Allah HAFIZ.

Your Shia Brother in Islam,

Shahid Abbas Bokhari.

The Lover of the AHLUL BAYT A.S. (14 INFALLIBLES)

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

salam alaikum, Ever wonder what is really happening in Palestine and other countries in the middle east? - you won't find out by watching CNN or BBC. Robert Fisk brings us in this book not only a chronological history of events in Lebanon but also a graphic eye witness account of goings on in that region, his portrayals will leave you stunned and traumatised as you realise just how bad the oppression in that region really is - Robert Fisk is to be commended for his bravery, his truthfullness and lack of bias in reporting. Please note this book is not for the faint hearted. From the book it is clear to see that the total disregard for innocent human life is atrocious, and one must say unapologetically especially by the Israelis - who indiscrimanately carry out human rights abuses on their prisoners, indiscrimantely bomb civillians, support other terrorists like the neo-Nazi Phalange party, and cover up the facts of their doings to the press - the Phalange was formed after the visit of Pierre Gemayel (a Maronite Christian) the founder of the party to, the Olympic games in Berlin in 1936 - and he used the then Nazi movement as a template for his movement - the Phalange consider the Palestinians and Muslims as mere subhuamns and have carried many massacres on refugee and civillian Muslims - the Israeli governent is therefore supporting an organisation which bases itself on the people who were responsible for the death of millions of the Jews - this organisation was also responsible for the murders at Sabra and Chatilla - the organisation that is given arms by Israel and free reign to carry out their murderous activities. But it is clear that in these bloody conflicts no group is truly innocent - but from accounts it is clear to see who the real villians and aggressors really are. My rating for this book is 10/10 a must read - but this book does not deserve a rating because it is not a bland history book - it is an eye witness account - and when you read this book you are actually there with the reporter witnessing the events that took place as they unfold in your mind - for me therefore to give a rating to this book is not appropriate - rather it is a book you don't read at all but you re-live through.

• Advanced Member

Amazon.co.uk reviews

The Definitive Accout of the Lebanese Conflict, 18 October, 2002

Reviewer: Bill Quigley from Dublin, Ireland

Its hard to know where to begin when reviewing this book. 1000 Words are not enough to do it justice, so I'll keep it brief.

If you want to know about what happened in 20th Century Lebanon, read this book. If you want a fair, impartial account, read this book. If you want an author who shows equal disgust for all acts of terrorism, whether committed by a state or a guerrilla group, read this book. If you have ever heard "people killed in Lebanon" on the news reports, and wondered what was going on out there, read this book. If you want a book with intelligent analysis, accuracy, informed opinions, compassion for the people on the ground, read this book.

If you want your eyes opened, read this book.

Pity the Nation, 28 September, 2002

Reviewer: Mr Robert J Edwards from Ruislip, Middlesex United Kingdom

This book is, quite simply, beyond compare. To try to digest, process and retain all the information contained in it would be futile, as innumerable injustices, ceasefires, invasions, peace keeping missions, massacres and "terrorist" outrages are related by the author.

It is not possible to come away from reading 'Pity The Nation' without having been touched by the, more often than not, very personal nature of what is a national tragedy. Forgotten by the West, brutalised by their neighbours in the Middle East and by each other, no Lebanese (or Palestinian) seems to emerge from the years of conflict covered by this book unscathed. In Robert Fisk these people have inherited a coherent, unbiased and sensitive witness who bears testament to their suffering. One can only hope that the lessons to be drawn from this book will be learned one day.

Incredible, 25 April, 2002

Reviewer: thejohnman from Dublin

Robert Fisk has spent the last 25 years in Lebanon. He brings the skills of a dedicated reporter, the objectivity of an outsider and the knowledge of a local to the subject. The most compelling thing about this incredible book is the quantity and quality of eye witness testimony. Robert tells the story as only one who has been there can. Another striking thing about this book is Robert's desire to be exact and precise. Everything is cited and referenced.

If you hold a bias for one of the many sides in this sorry conflict you will probably find yourself nodding vigorously sometimes and shouting angrily at others.

Those with an open mind will just be horrified. Regardless of the ebb and flow of politics and war it is always the poor, the weak the silent that suffer. Robert gives them a feint voice.

Well Done Mr.Fisk...You deserve Lebanon's highest honour., 8 December, 2001

Reviewer: Twanny Degiorgio from MALTA

Well documented...What hit me most is the author's constant search for the truth. His straight forward chilling accounts of the war in Lebanon makes one realise that it is coming from a person who personally feels the sufferings of the innocent civilians in Lebanon. This is one book which every conscientious person should read. It shows the horrors of war on the civilian population and the insensitivity of the oppressor to people's sufferings.....Maybe the world will be a better place if all journalist were as committed as Mr.Fisk

Amazing!!, 13 October, 2001

Reviewer: A reader from United kingdom

Simply the best book I have read in the last few years. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Congratulations Mr Fisk for such a remarkable achievement - Everybody interested in the Mid East should read this. This author/journalist risked his life and subsequent reputation. Bravo!

A GREAT BOOK ON A DIRTY MODERN WAR, 25 August, 2001

Reviewer: A reader from North Wales

The best foreign journalist of our times spent 15 years in war-destroyed Beirut, and this is the book that came out of it.

Life, massacre, insanity, bravery, pain and death: also comedy and political insight. A masterpiece of a book, the first page will ensnare you.

Ten years old and as fresh as next year, Fisk's book is well worth a read

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

'Adl (Justice Of Allah)

Source: http://www.almujtaba.com/article/html

Belief that Allah is Just. He will reward or punish any person according to his deeds and thus the notion of predestination (where all decisions are Allah's and not any one else's) in one's deeds does not exist.

The word Adl was originally coined to convey the idea of "making two things equal," and "distributing equally."

The same is the case with "insaaf" which literally means, "dividing in two halves."

The idea of equal distribution naturally leads to "Equity" or "Justice." And, as a result, "Adl" came to denote "Justice," "Equity" "To be on straight path" "Straight-forwardness," "To be of exact standard neither less nor more," and "To keep everything in its proper place."

The opposite words are "Jaur" and "Dhulm."

"Jaur" means, "to be inclined to one side," which consequently means, "not to be impartial in Justice," "to be biased for or against one party."

"Dhulm" means "to put a thing in a wrong place", as an unjust judge misplaces his judgement by not giving the aggrieved party his due, he is called Dhulm.

"Adl" is one of the most important attributes of Allah, according to the Shia faith. So far as the existence and Oneness of Allah is concerned it comes under the first root of religion "Tawheed" as explained above. But the Actions of Allah come under this Second Root, i.e., "Adl".

Allah does no wrong

"Allah does no wrong" means that He is active and powerful but He can do no wrong. Anybody who commits wrong or injustice does so either because he does not know that it is wrong, (but Allah knows every thing) or because he needs something which cannot be obtained without wrongdoing, (but Allah has no need) or because he has been compelled by somebody else to commit that wrong, (but Allah is Omnipotent and nobody can compel Him to do anything). So logically it is impossible for Allah to do any injustice, or wrong.

Abu Hanifa asked Imam Musa bin Jaffer: From who is the action of man? Imam replied: "there are only 3 imaginable sources.

1) Either Allah is the doer of that action; or

2) Both together are the companions of that action; or

3) The man himself is the originator of his actions.

If Allah is the doer of the actions of man, why does he inflict punishment on man for the sins? Is it not injustice? And if both man and Allah are partners in that crime, then is it not gross injustice that the powerful partners (i.e. Allah) punishes the weaker partner (i.e. man) for an action which both of them performed together? And as these two alternatives are proved to be illogical and impossible, the 3rd theory is proved to be correct that man does his actions by his own power and will."

"Whatever benefit comes to you (O man!), it is from Allah, and whatever misfortune befalls you, it is from yourself, and We have sent you (O Prophet!), to mankind as a messenger; and Allah is sufficient as a witness." (Quran 4:79)

Injustice And Its Negative Effects:-

Reasons of Injustice:

Supposing, Allah was not just and treats a creature with cruelty or commits an evil; then it must be because of one of four reasons:-

i) He is ignorant of the action, and does not know that it is evil,

ii) He knows what He does, but He has been compelled to do it, and is unable to desist from it;

iii) It is necessary for him to do it, although He is aware that it is evil, but He is not compelled to do it;

iv) He does it at his pleasure, without cause, or as an amusement although, He is neither ignorant of it, nor constrained to do it, and neither is it necessary for Him to do it.

Each of these is an impossibility for Allah, as each one entails a deficiency in Him. But He is Absolute perfection; therefore we must say that He is glorified from oppression and from doing what is evil.

(Adapted from: Justice of God. By Seyyid Saeed Akhter Rizvi)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Face it, you'll never be rich

Why do Americans still believe in the rags-to-riches fairy tale? In

this

extract from his explosive new book, Michael Moore explains why the

corporate

bosses will never let the American dream become a reality

Michael Moore

Tuesday October 7, 2003

The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,476...-103680,00.html

Perhaps the biggest success in the war on terror has been its ability

to

distract the nation from the corporate war on us. In the two years

since the

attacks of 9/11, American businesses have been on a punch-drunk

rampage that has

left millions of average Americans with their savings gone and their

pensions

looted, their hopes for a comfortable future for their families

diminished or

extinguished. The business bandits (and their government accomplices)

who have

wrecked our economy have tried to blame it on the terrorists, they

have tried

to blame it on Clinton, and they have tried to blame it on us.

But, in fact, the wholesale destruction of our economic future is

based

solely on the greed of the corporate mojahedin.

The takeover has happened right under our noses. We've been force-fed

some

mighty powerful "drugs" to keep us quiet while we're being

mugged by this

lawless gang of CEOs. One of these drugs is called fear and the other

is called

Horatio Alger.

The fear drug works like this: you are repeatedly told that bad,

scary people

are going to kill you, so place all your trust in us, your corporate

leaders,

and we will protect you. But since we know what's best, don't

question us if

we want you to foot the bill for our tax cut, or if we decide to

slash your

health benefits or jack up the cost of buying a home. And if you

don't shut up

and toe the line and work your ass off, we will sack you - and then

just try to

find a new job in this economy, punk!

The other drug is nicer. It is first prescribed to us as children in

the form

of a fairy tale - but a fairy tale that can actually come true! It is

the

Horatio Alger myth. Alger was one of the most popular American

writers of the

late 1800s. His stories featured characters from impoverished

backgrounds who,

through pluck and determination and hard work, were able to make huge

successes

of themselves in this land of boundless opportunity. The message was

that

anyone can make it in America, and make it big.

We are addicted to this happy rags-to-riches myth in this country.

People in

other industrialised democracies are content to make a good enough

living to

pay their bills and raise their families. Few have a cutthroat desire

to strike

it rich. They live in reality, where there are only going to be a few

rich

people, and you are not going to be one of them. So get used to it.

Of course, rich people in those countries are very careful not to

upset the

balance. Even though there are greedy [Edited Out]s among them, they do

have some

limits placed on them. In the manufacturing sector, for example,

British CEOs

make 24 times as much as their average workers - the widest gap in

Europe.

German CEOs only make 15 times more than their employees, while

Swedish CEOs get 13

times as much. But here in the US, the average CEO makes 411 times

the

salaries of their blue-collar workers. Wealthy Europeans pay up to

65% in taxes, and

they know better than to [Edited Out] too loud about it or the people will

make them

fork over even more.

In the US, we are afraid to sock it to them. We hate to put our CEOs

in

prison when they break the law. We are more than happy to cut their

taxes even as

ours go up! We don't want to do anything that could harm us on that

day we end

up millionaires. It's so believable because we have seen it come

true. In

every community there's at least one person prancing around as the

rags-to-riches

poster child, conveying the not-so-subtle message: "SEE! I MADE

IT! YOU CAN,

TOO!!"

It is this seductive myth that led so many millions of working people

to

become investors in the stock market during the 90s. They saw how

rich the rich

got in the 80s and thought, "Hey, this could happen to me!"

The wealthy did everything they could to en courage this attitude.

Understand

that in 1980 only 20% of Americans owned a share of stock. Wall

Street was

the rich man's game and it was off-limits to the average Joe and

Jane. Near the

end of the 1980s, though, the rich were pretty much tapped out with

their

excess profits and could not figure out how to make the market keep

growing. I

don't know if it was the brainstorm of one genius at a brokerage firm

or the

smooth conspiracy of all the well-heeled, but the game became,

"Hey, let's

convince the middle class to give us their money and we can get even

richer!"

Suddenly, it seemed like everyone I knew jumped on the stock market

bandwagon. They let their unions invest all their pension money in

stocks. Story after

story ran in the media about how everyday working people were going

to be able

to retire as near-millionaires! It was like a fever that infected

everyone.

Workers immediately cashed their pay cheques and called their broker

to buy

more stocks. Their broker!

There were ups and downs, but mostly ups, lots of ups, and you could

hear

yourself saying, "My stock's up 120%! My worth has

tripled!" You eased the pain

of daily living by imagining the retirement villa you would buy some

day or the

sports car you could buy tomorrow if you wanted to cash out now. No,

don't

cash out! It's only going to go higher! Stay in for the long haul!

Easy Street,

here I come!

But it was a sham. It was all a ruse concocted by the corporate

powers-that-be who never had any intention of letting you into their

club. They just needed

your money to take them to that next level, the one that insulates

them from

ever having to actually work for a living. They knew the big boom of

the 90s

couldn't last, so they needed your money to artificially inflate the

value of

their companies so their stocks would reach such a phantasmal price

that, when

it was time to cash out, they would be set for life, no matter how

bad the

economy got.

And that's what happened. While the average sucker was listening to

all the

blowhards on CNBC tell him that he should buy even more stock, the

ultra-rich

were quietly getting out of the market, selling off the stocks of

their own

company first. In September 2002, Fortune magazine released a

staggering list of

these corporate crooks who made off like bandits while their

company's stock

prices had dropped 75% or more between 1999 and 2002.

At the top of the list of these evildoers was Qwest Communications.

At its

peak, Qwest shares traded at nearly $40. Three years later the same

shares were

worth $1. Over that period, Qwest's director, Phil Anschutz, and its

former

CEO, Joe Nacchio, and the other officers made off with $2.26bn simply

by selling

out before the price hit rock bottom.

Meanwhile, the average investor stayed in, listening to all the

rotten

advice. And the market kept going down, down, down. More than four

trillion dollars

was lost in the stock market. Another trillion dollars in pension

funds and

university endowments is now no longer there.

So, here's my question: after fleecing the American public and

destroying the

American dream for most working people, how is it that, instead of

being

drawn and quartered and hung at dawn at the city gates, the rich got

a big wet

kiss from Congress in the form of a record tax break, and no one says

a word? How

can that be?

I think it's because we're still addicted to the Horatio Alger

fantasy drug.

Despite all the damage and all the evidence to the contrary, the

average

American still wants to hang on to this belief that maybe, just

maybe, he or she

(mostly he) just might make it big after all. So don't attack the

rich man,

because one day that rich man may be me!

Listen, friends, you have to face the truth: you are never going to

be rich.

The chance of that happening is about one in a million. Not only are

you never

going to be rich, but you are going to have to live the rest of your

life

busting your butt just to pay the cable bill and the music and art

classes for

your kid at the public school where they used to be free.

And it is only going to get worse. Forget about a pension, forget

about

social security, forget about your kids taking care of you when you

get old because

they are barely going to have the money to take care of themselves.

If you are still clinging to the belief that not all of Corporate

America is

that bad, consider this example of what our good captains of industry

have

been up to of late.

Are you aware that your company may have taken out a life insurance

policy on

you? Oh, how nice of them, you say? Yeah, here's how nice it is.

During the past 20 years, companies including Disney, Nestle, Procter

&

Gamble, Dow Chemical, JP Morgan Chase and Wal-Mart have been secretly

taking out

life insurance policies on their low- and mid-level employees and

then naming

themselves - the corporation - as the beneficiary! That's right: When

you die,

the company - not your survivors - gets to cash in. If you die on the

job, all

the better, as most life-insurance policies are geared to pay out

more when

someone dies young. And if you live to a ripe old age, even long

after you've

left the company, the company still gets to collect on your death.

And

regardless of when you croak, the company is able to borrow against

the policy and

deduct the interest from its corporate taxes.

Many of these companies have set up a system for the money to go to

pay for

executive bonuses, cars, homes or trips to the Caribbean. Your death

goes to

helping make your boss a very happy man sitting in his Jacuzzi on St

Bart's.

And what does Corporate America privately call this special form of

life

insurance?

Dead Peasants Insurance.

That's right. "Dead Peasants". Because that's what you are

to them -

peasants. And you are sometimes worth more to them dead than alive.

· These edited extracts are taken from Dude, Where's My Country? by

Michael

Moore, published today by Allen Lane, price £16.99.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

'Miserable failure' links to Bush

Bush has been the target of similar pranks before

George W Bush has been Google bombed.

Web users entering the words "miserable failure" into the popular search engine are directed to the biography of the president on the White House website.

The trick is possible because Google searches more than just the contents of web pages - it also counts how often a site is linked to, and with what words.

Thus, members of an online community can affect the results of Google searches - called "Google bombing" - by linking their sites to a chosen one.

Weblogger Adam Mathes is credited with inventing the practice in 2001, when he used it to link the phrase "talentless hack" to a friend's website.

The search engine can be manipulated by a fairly small group of users, one report suggested.

If you are George Bush and typed the country's name in the address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly (IRAQ)

Prank website

Newsday newspaper says as few as 32 web pages with the words "miserable failure" link to the Bush biography.

The Bush administration has been on the receiving end of pointed Google bombs before.

In the run-up to the Iraq war, internet users manipulated Google so the phrase "weapons of mass destruction" led to a joke page saying "These Weapons of Mass Destruction cannot be displayed."

The site suggests "clicking the regime change button", or "If you are George Bush and typed the country's name in the address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly (IRAQ)".

hahahahahahaahahahahahah :D

• Advanced Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3298443.stm

'Miserable failure' links to Bush

George W Bush has been Google bombed.

Web users entering the words "miserable failure" into the popular search engine are directed to the biography of the president on the White House website.

The trick is possible because Google searches more than just the contents of web pages - it also counts how often a site is linked to, and with what words.

Thus, members of an online community can affect the results of Google searches - called "Google bombing" - by linking their sites to a chosen one.

Weblogger Adam Mathes is credited with inventing the practice in 2001, when he used it to link the phrase "talentless hack" to a friend's website.

The search engine can be manipulated by a fairly small group of users, one report suggested.

Newsday newspaper says as few as 32 web pages with the words "miserable failure" link to the Bush biography.

The Bush administration has been on the receiving end of pointed Google bombs before.

In the run-up to the Iraq war, internet users manipulated Google so the phrase "weapons of mass destruction" led to a joke page saying "These Weapons of Mass Destruction cannot be displayed."

The site suggests "clicking the regime change button", or "If you are George Bush and typed the country's name in the address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly (IRAQ)".

Published: 2003/12/07 15:04:30 GMT

© BBC MMIII