Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
RazaNaqvi

Hadith on Table Manners

Rate this topic

Salam,

A friend of mine is looking for Hadith on table manners. Not only from the Prophet (SAW) but from the Imams (as) as well if possible.

Please reference your hadith if possible.

Jazakallah

Wasalam,

Raza

Wasalaam,

Not sure if this will help, but the following are the rulings of Ayatullah Al-Khui, obviously these must have been taken from hadith of the Prophets and Imams. I remember reading in one book that it is a saying of 8th Imam not to cut bread with knife but with hands, and also remember reading about how it is indecent to have your elbows on the table or to get up from the table before everyone is finished, but I can't quote these yet.

The following can be found on:

http://www.al-islam.org/laws/al-khui/31.htm#9

Table Manners

2645. There are certain recommended things to be observed while taking meal; they are as follows:

(i) Washing both the hands before taking meal.

(ii) After taking meal one should wash one's hands and dry them with towel etc.

(iii) The host should begin eating first of all, and should also be the last to stop eating. Before starting to take meal the host should wash his hands first, and thereafter the person sitting on his right should do so. Then the other guests should follow him till the turn of the person sitting on the left side of the host comes. After finishing the meal the person sitting on the left side of the host should wash his hands first and thereafter other persons should follow him till the turn of the host himself comes.

(iv) One should say Bismillah before one starts taking meal and in case there are a number of dishes it is recommended to say Bismillah before eating from each of the dishes.

(v) One should eat food with one's right hand.

(vi) One should eat food with more than two fingers.

(vii) If some persons are sitting together to take their meals, everyone of them should eat the food placed before him.

(viii) One should take small morsels.

(ix) One should prolong the duration of taking meal.

(x) After taking one's meal one should thank Allah.

(xii) One should lick one's fingers after taking food.

(xiii) One should use a toothpick after taking meal. However, the toothpick should not consist of sweet basil (a fragrant grass) or the leaves of date-palm.

(xiv) One should collect and eat the food which falls on the tablecloth. However, if one takes meal in a jungle, it is better to leave the food which has fallen aside, so that it may be eaten by the animals and birds.

(xv) One should take one's meals in the earlier part of the day and in the earlier part of the night and should not take them at midday or at midnight.

(xvi) After taking one's meal one should lie on one's back and should place one's right foot on one's left foot.

(xvii) One should take salt before and after taking one's meal.

(xviii) One should wash the fruit before eating it.

2646. Acts which are indecent to do while taking one's meal:

(i) To eat after being satiated.

(ii) To eat too much. It has been narrated that overeating is the worst thing in the eyes of Allah.

(iii) To look towards others while eating.

(iv) To eat hot food.

(v) To blow on one's food or drink which one is eating or drinking

(vi) To wait for something else after the food has been served on the dining cloth.

(vii) To cut the loaf with a knife.

(viii) To place the bread under one's plate.

(ix) To remove meat from a bone in such a manner that nothing remains on it.

(x) To s[Edited Out]e the fruit.

(xi) To throw away the fruit before it is fully eaten.

Manners Of Drinking Water

2647.There are certain acts which are recommended in connection with drinking water; they are as follows:

(i) Water should be drunk as things are sucked.

(ii) During day time one should drink water while standing.

(iii) One should say Bismillah before drinking water and Alhamdulilah after drinking.

(iv) One should drink water in three sips.

(v) One should drink water according to one's desire.

(vi) After drinking water one should remember Imam Husayn (P) and the members of his family and curse their murderers.

2648. It is improper to drink too much water; to drink water after eating fatty food; and to drink water while standing at the night time. It is also improper to drink water with one's left hand; to drink water from the side of the broken part of the pot, or from the side of its handle.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Iraqis and their eating habits. I don't mean to label just one people...but i've eaten quite a few times with them...and these are (and i aint jokin here) some of the things that have occured.

* Once invited to dinner at an iraqi friends house. There was a bowl of salad. And basically just grabbed the salad with his bare hands. Did the same with the watermelon. The only thing he ate with a spoon was the yoghurt :sick:

* Once invited to the shekh's house for majlis 3aza' and lunch. When the iraqis start eating, i basically need an umbrella to cover my head from all the rice which is showering down.

* Same place, my older friend...we're eating rice and some bean/meat stew thingy. He dips his hands into the bowl to break up the meat...now i had a feeling he was gonna put it in my plate...so my immediate reaction was to quickly take my plate away from him, and say lah lah ya abu ***** al7amdulillah ajjarakumAllah, after half an hour of arguing that i didn't want to eat more, he dumps it in his friends plate next to him :sick:

I know it's sunnah to eat with ur hands (two fingers and a thumb), but this is just a jokeeeeeeee. Far out man.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ohhhhhhhh, and i forgot to mention the bread. This is just foul.

Placing bare bread on the carpet where everyone walks. :sick: :sick: :sick: ... basically when someone passes the bread, i have to catch it before it hits the ground. *shakes head*

(salam)

* Once invited to the shekh's house for majlis 3aza' and lunch. When the iraqis start eating, i basically need an umbrella to cover my head from all the rice which is showering down.

ROTFLL :lol:

well it seems sis/bro ansoon have given all the answers.. <_< :D

wassalam, Sarah

(salam)

ROTFLL :lol:

well it seems sis/bro ansoon have given all the answers.. <_< :D

wassalam, Sarah

DISAPPROVAL OF DRINKING WATER WHILE STANDING(SAHIH HADITH MUSLIM)

Chapter# 12, Book 23, Number 5017:

Anas reported Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) disapproved the drinking of water while standing.

Book 23, Number 5018:

Anas reported that Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade that a person should drink while standing. Qatada reported: We said to him: What about eating? Thereupon he (Anas) said: That is even worse and more detestable (abominable).

Book 23, Number 5019:

This hadith is reported on the authority of Anas with a different chain of transmitters, but no mention is mane of the words of Qatada.

Book 23, Number 5020:

Abu Sa’id Khudri reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) warned against drinking while standing.

Book 23, Number 5021:

Abu Sa’id Khudri reported this hadith through another chain of transmitters but with a slight, variation of wording.

Book 23, Number 5022:

Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: None of you should drink while standing; and if anyone forgets, he must vomit.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Iraqis and their eating habits. I don't mean to label just one people...but i've eaten quite a few times with them...and these are (and i aint jokin here) some of the things that have occured.

* Once invited to dinner at an iraqi friends house. There was a bowl of salad. And basically just grabbed the salad with his bare hands. Did the same with the watermelon. The only thing he ate with a spoon was the yoghurt :sick:

* Same place, my older friend...we're eating rice and some bean/meat stew thingy. He dips his hands into the bowl to break up the meat...now i had a feeling he was gonna put it in my plate...so my immediate reaction was to quickly take my plate away from him, and say lah lah ya abu ***** al7amdulillah ajjarakumAllah, after half an hour of arguing that i didn't want to eat more, he dumps it in his friends plate next to him :sick:

I know it's sunnah to eat with ur hands (two fingers and a thumb), but this is just a jokeeeeeeee. Far out man.

Hahahahajajaajahaj !!!! Omg aba abdallah I actually found this so funny , I couldn't hold back laughter :D so jokes ... And so true lool :))

Most of the manners are defined but the best two are that we should not talk will we are taking meal and the second one is we should chew with our mouth closed these are the most important points because these sometimes irritates other people around us.