Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why do Muslims ask forgiveness ?

Rate this topic

I have a question for Muslims.

if you believe you will be judged by works in Judgement days then why ask forgiveness ?

When you do a sin and ask forgiveness its not really forgiven because in Judgement it will be weighted on your good deeds and your bad deeds.

It doesnt make sence why ask forgiveness from God ? if its not forgiven.

We believe its not by works but by grace that we are saved and work comes from faith. The Holy Spirit works in us to do good works. but you believe that its by works alone.

Forgive

Main Entry: for·give

Pronunciation: f&r-'giv, for-

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): for·gave /-'gAv/; for·giv·en /-'gi-v&n/; -giv·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English forgifan, from for- + gifan to give

transitive senses

1 a : to give up resentment of or claim to requital for <forgive an insult> b : to grant relief from payment of <forgive a debt>

2 : to cease to feel resentment against (an offender) : PARDON <forgive one's enemies>

intransitive senses : to grant forgiveness

synonym see EXCUSE

if you are not really excused for your sin and your Allah will hold you up to it in Judgement day then why ask forgiveness ? it doesnt make sense

Edited by WarriorofChrist
  • Advanced Member

It makes perfect sense if you make any sort of honest effort to understand; you just don't want to. We do not believe that one is saved by works alone. It is mysterious to me as to how you have come to this conclusion, since everyone here has repeatedly told you otherwise. What is required are works guided by and given meaning by faith. Just as James said faith without works is dead, so works are misguided and useless without faith. It's a two part equation. Without the right belief, Allah (swt) will not guide you so that your deeds are successful. And the Qu'ran informs that works will not be accepted of the unbelievers.

There is no contradiction between the justice of the final judgement and the mercy of Allah (swt) that allows Him to forgive those who sincerely ask. Asking forgiveness, or istighfar is a deed in itself. Thought of in this light, the deed of asking forgiveness, if fully accepted, is a weight that balances that of the sin. In the final judgement, all of the things that a person has done in works, belief, and worship to draw nearer to Allah (swt) will be weighed out. Nothing will be left out; truly Allah (swt) is all-aware.

Guest Shia by nature

(bismillah) (salam)

If one TRULY repents his actions and ALSO ask for forgiveness Allah will forgive him since Allah is the MOST merciful most benefience. If one TRULY ask for forgiveness then why would one commit mistakes again? When one TRULY repents that person will try to become a better person in the future. (morally, ethically etc)

Ali

If one TRULY repents his actions and ALSO ask for forgiveness Allah will forgive him since Allah is the MOST merciful most benefience. If one TRULY ask for forgiveness then why would one commit mistakes again? When one TRULY repents that person will try to become a better person in the future. (morally, ethically etc)

Allah will not forgive that sin, because he will bring up that sin in Judgement day and that sin will be weighted on. if that sin was trully forgiven Allah will not bring it up.

It makes perfect sense if you make any sort of honest effort to understand; you just don't want to. We do not believe that one is saved by works alone. It is mysterious to me as to how you have come to this conclusion, since everyone here has repeatedly told you otherwise. What is required are works guided by and given meaning by faith. Just as James said faith without works is dead, so works are misguided and useless without faith. It's a two part equation. Without the right belief, Allah (swt) will not guide you so that your deeds are successful. And the Qu'ran informs that works will not be accepted of the unbelievers.

I am talking about Allah forgiving sins, the question I asked is how is the sin forgiven if Allah will bring it up in judgement day ?

ok say for example I was driving and accidentaly hit my friend with a car. I ask him forgiveness and he says its forgiven, then 5 years later I see that friend again and he starts saying you hit me with a car and because of that I have injuries you need to pay.

Does that make sense.

How can God forgive your sins only to bring it up in Judgement day, it really doesnt make sense, if God brings it up its not forgiven ????

There is no contradiction between the justice of the final judgement and the mercy of Allah (swt) that allows Him to forgive those who sincerely ask. Asking forgiveness, or istighfar is a deed in itself. Thought of in this light, the deed of asking forgiveness, if fully accepted, is a weight that balances that of the sin. In the final judgement, all of the things that a person has done in works, belief, and worship to draw nearer to Allah (swt) will be weighed out. Nothing will be left out; truly Allah (swt) is all-aware.

There is no need to ask forgiveness because in Judgement day your good works and your bad works will be balanced out, its not about if your Allah forgives you its about how much good work and bad work you do, so why do you ask forgiveness ?

its a plain contradiction in your quran

God Bless

Guest Islam Liberates Women

if you sin and sincerely repent during your lifetime, that sin does not count against you when you are judged. it is "erased" from your "book".

we do NOT believe that you get into heaven by works alone. there are certainly people who do all sorts of "good works" for the wrong reasons... for fame or recognition etc. the smallest good deed done with a pure intention means much more than a huge good deed done without sincerity.

• Advanced Member

There's no contradiction. I've laid it out in plain explanation. It's really quite a simple concept; you need to actually expend effort to not get it. If you want to spend your energy trying your best not to understand things, that's up to you; in fact, it's the American Way ;)

Guest Shujaat

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/k/koran/koran...&size=First+100

check this site out, lists all the verses with repentance.

The Narratives

[28.67] But as to him who repents and believes and does good, maybe he will be among the successful:

The Believer

[40.3] The Forgiver of the faults and the Acceptor of repentance, Severe to punish, Lord of bounty; there is no god but He; to Him is the eventual coming.

The Counsel

[42.25] And He it is Who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons the evil deeds and He knows what you do;

The Celestial Stations

[85.10] Surely (as for) those who persecute the believing men and the believing women, then do not repent, they shall have the chastisement of hell, and they shall have the chastisement of burning.

bro kadhim has made very well points, but if u persist in not listening, ask the Scholar that is visiting the board? Eh?

Edited by Shujaat
There's no contradiction. I've laid it out in plain explanation. It's really quite a simple concept; you need to actually expend effort to not get it. If you want to spend your energy trying your best not to understand things, that's up to you; in fact, it's the American Way ™;)

Explained it ? you have just made it more confusing, all you did was talk about faith and works, thats not my question ok here goes again

IF you ask forgiveness right, you expect Allah to forgive you, forgive means to wash away the sin, to excuse it, but in your religion in Judgement day your good works will be weighted with your BAD WORKS, how can your good works be weighted with the bad works( Which are said to be forgiven ) it plainly makes absolutely no sense at all.

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/k/koran/koran...;size=First+100

check this site out, lists all the verses with repentance.

The Narratives

[28.67] But as to him who repents and believes and does good, maybe he will be among the successful:

The Believer

[40.3] The Forgiver of the faults and the Acceptor of repentance, Severe to punish, Lord of bounty; there is no god but He; to Him is the eventual coming.

The Counsel

[42.25] And He it is Who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons the evil deeds and He knows what you do;

The Celestial Stations

[85.10] Surely (as for) those who persecute the believing men and the believing women, then do not repent, they shall have the chastisement of hell, and they shall have the chastisement of burning.

bro kadhim has made very well points, but if u persist in not listening, ask the Scholar that is visiting the board? Eh?

Those verses does not explain why Allah would hold you accountable for sins that have said to be forgiven ? it is nor logical for God to forgive your sins then when Judgement day comes he brings your sin back as well as your good deeds and decide by these where you will spend eternity. you cnat explain it its a plain contradiction.

if I were you id be having second thoughts about what i believe.

if you sin and sincerely repent during your lifetime, that sin does not count against you when you are judged. it is "erased" from your "book".

we do NOT believe that you get into heaven by works alone. there are certainly people who do all sorts of "good works" for the wrong reasons... for fame or recognition etc. the smallest good deed done with a pure intention means much more than a huge good deed done without sincerity.

Its not erased, if it was erased Allah would not bring it up in Judgement day. yea I knwo good works and bad works, it still dont answer the question why ask forgiveness if its not really forgiven and in Judgement day you will be judged by those sins (which have been forgiven ) and your good deeds. it really does not make sense.

But I guess it does to you

God Bless

• Advanced Member

It's quite simple. I don't get the confusion. If your repentence is accepted, then the sin does not affect you in the judgement. It is balanced and cancelled by the accepted repentence. The seeking repentence is a good deed that, when given weight through Allah's (swt) acceptance, cancels out any ill effect of the sin in question. The sin is a debt, while the accepted repentence is payment of that debt. Net effect on the day of Judgement with regard to this particular sin in question is breakeven. Understood?

• Advanced Member

There are conditions for which one can be forgiven. You don’t just do whatever you feel like, spend a few minutes asking for forgiveness and then repeat the same old sin and procedure of asking for forgiveness again and again, coz it highly unlikely that it will be forgiven. However if you sincerely ask for forgiveness including showing it with appropriate actions i.e. you never turn to that sin again then you will be forgiven. You only find out if that sin was forgiven or not on the Day of Judgement. If they had been forgiven for that particular sin then they will NOT be question on it for it is erased and it does not exist..…

Beyond dead no one is forgiven for their sins no matter how regretful they are……the only opportunity for asking for forgiveness is in one’s life time, just like when you hand in your exam paper there is no way you can change the answers to get a better grade.

No sin is forgiven on the Day of Judgement, that Day is reserved for analysis of one’s deeds and also accounting for them…

However the reason we have good and bad deeds on the Day of Judgement are that some of our actions may not have been forgiven or that we had not sought forgiveness for them…..

But there will be people who will not have bad deeds for analysis, but just good deeds....

Edited by kanez-e-Zahra
There are conditions for which one can be forgiven. You don’t just do whatever you feel like, spend a few minutes asking for forgiveness and then repeat the same old sin and procedure of asking for forgiveness again and again, coz it highly unlikely that it will be forgiven. However if you sincerely ask for forgiveness including showing it with appropriate actions i.e. you never turn to that sin again then you will be forgiven. You only find out if that sin was forgiven or not on the Day of Judgement. If they had been forgiven for that particular sin then they will NOT be question on it for it is erased and it does not exist..…

so basically you are not sure of your salvation ? God made us sure of our salvation, and he works IN OUR life with the Holy Spirit to change us into the image of Jesus. God works in us so we will not continue in sin, God forbid us to continue in sin.

When God washes a sin away its gone never to be heard or seen.

I have a question in your quran where it talks about your balance in Judgement day does it or does it not say your good work and your bad will be balanced, so you are saying that only the bad that has not been repented will be balanced with the good, can you show us where you get that in your quran or is it just your assumption ?

Beyond dead no one is forgiven for their sins no matter how regretful they are……the only opportunity for asking for forgiveness is in one’s life time, just like when you hand in your exam paper there is no way you can change the answers to get a better grade.

No sin is forgiven on the Day of Judgement, that Day is reserved for analysis of one’s deeds and also accounting for them…

As far as sin goes the truth is we all get a failing grade we are born with the Adam nature, and God knew that, thats why he offered to take the test for all of us because he knew this test there is no way of passing it. Its not a test that is passable.

Why do you think that in the Old testament God required of the Jews shed blood,

the blood of animals ?

Hebrews 9:22 - And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission

Matthew 26:28 - For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Muslims let me tell you now, that test you are trying to pass for sins is not a passable test and no matter how hard you try to pass it you will get a failing grade, only the shed blood of Jesus will save you, its a free gift, please take it while its there.

It shows God amazing Love.

Blessed Assurance

Jesus our Lord

God Bless

Edited by WarriorofChrist
  • Advanced Member
so basically you are not sure of your salvation ?

If someone does good and follows the Laws of Allah and does not sin or repents for the one he has committed then they should be hopeful of their salvation but not too hopeful for it will make one arrogant and arrogance is itself a sin that can effect one’s faith.

Holy Quran 5:9

"Allah has promised to those who believe and do good deeds (that) they shall have forgiveness and a mighty reward"

On the other hand one who is sinful should not despair of Allah’s mercy, forgiveness, guidance and salvation for despair in Allah’s such attributes are sin in itself, which can affect one’s faith. Even the sinful are given hope of salvation.

Holy Quran 39:53

"Say: O my servants! who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether; surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful."

I have a question in your quran where it talks about your balance in Judgement day does it or does it not say your good work and your bad will be balanced, so you are saying that only the bad that has not been repented will be balanced with the good, can you show us where you get that in your quran or is it just your assumption ?

It is not an assumption, the Quran clearly says that those who ask forgiveness and do not persist in sins will find Allah forgiving and they are promised an honorable reward. Indeed the most beautiful attribute of Allah is the ‘Beneficent’ and ‘Merciful’, and for this reasons every single Sura of the Quran (expect one) begins with “In the Name of Allah the Beneficent the Merciful” to serve a reminder for even the most sinful soul that no matter how sinful they may be there is always a chance to be forgiven and be of the saved ones on the Day of Judgment.

Holy Quran 3:135

"And those who when they commit an indecency or do injustice to their souls remember Allah and ask forgiveness for their faults-- and who forgives the faults but Allah, and (who) do not knowingly persist in what they have done"

"If you shun the Greater Sins which you are forbidden, We will do away with your smaller sins and cause you to enter an honourable place of entering."

(Holy Quran 4: 31)

Holy Quran 3:136 "

(As for) these-- their reward is forgiveness from their Lord, and gardens beneath which rivers flow, to abide in them, and excellent is the reward of the laborers"

Holy Quran 4:110 "

And whoever does evil or acts unjustly to his soul, then asks forgiveness of Allah, he shall find Allah Forgiving, Merciful"

"These are the believers in truth; they shall have from their Lord exalted grades and forgiveness and an honorable sustenance"Holy Quran 8:4

Holy Quran 8:33

"But Allah was not going to chastise them while you were among them, nor is Allah going to chastise them while yet they ask for forgiveness"

Holy Quran 11:3

"And you that ask forgiveness of your Lord, then turn to Him; He will provide you with a goodly provision to an appointed term and bestow His grace on every one endowed with grace, and if you turn back, then surely I fear for you the chastisement of a great day"

As far as sin goes the truth is we all get a failing grade we are born with the Adam nature, and God knew that, that’s why he offered to take the test for all of us because he knew this test there is no way of passing it. Its not a test that is passable.

:huh: But I thought you were made sure of salvation, so you don’t really need to pass the test…… :rolleyes:

In Islam everyone is given a clean sheet, no one is blamed or tried for other people’s actions, whereas I see that in Christianity Hazrat Adam is blamed for failure of your test. This is unjust….

Holy Quran 17:15

"Whoever goes aright, for his own soul does he go aright; and whoever goes astray, to its detriment only does he go astray: nor can the bearer of a burden bear the burden of another, nor do We chastise until We raise a messenger"

Holy Quran 6:164

"Say: What! shall I seek a Lord other than Allah? And He is the Lord of all things; and no soul earns (evil) but against itself, and no bearer of burden shall bear the burden of another; then to your Lord is your return, so He will inform you of that in which you differed"

A commentary of the above verse reads:

After the emphatic denunciations of idolatry there remains no alternative but to say: "There is no god save Allah, the Lord of the worlds". The doctrine of personal responsibility is decisive. We ourselves are responsible for our deeds. We cannot transfer the consequences to someone else. Nor can any one vicariously atone for our sins. The idea of redemption renders Allah helpless against the evil done freely in His kingdom. Because of this conception the evil-doers run scot-free, without fear of punishment, and destroy peace, harmony and rule of law in the world .

In Islam every individual is answerable for his faith and deeds when he returns to Allah on the day of reckoning. The faithful who have done good and followed the teachings of Allah and his Prophet shall be rewarded and the disbelievers and the sinners will be punished. Those believers who made mistakes but sincerely repented and amended their conduct shall receive His mercy and forgiveness. This system of accountability creates a viable discipline in the human society.

Muslims let me tell you now, that test you are trying to pass for sins is not a passable test and no matter how hard you try to pass it you will get a failing grade, only the shed blood of Jesus will save you, its a free gift, please take it while its there.

It shows God amazing Love.

No its shows of his injustice (nowzolillah). We are assured of salvation through our own efforts, we don’t need an innocent man to pay for our sins. It is unjust of Allah (nowzolillah) to put the burden of the sins of all the mankind on the shoulder of a purified and sinless soul such as Prophet Jesus (as).

Guest Shia by nature

(bismillah) (salam)

When God washes a sin away its gone never to be heard or seen.

Actually when Christians say that JESUS died for OUR SINNS, it literally means that one can commit sins and STILL enter heaven. UNLESS it was meant metaphorically B)

Ali

• Advanced Member
Allah will not forgive that sin, because he will bring up that sin in Judgement day and that sin will be weighted on. if that sin was trully forgiven Allah will not bring it up.

Unfortunately , G-d of the NT NEVER forgave Adam (or Eve) . The Christian perception of G-d is rather shallow....

Allah, the Most Merciful ( G-d depicted accurately in the Qur'an [ al-Furqan]) forgave Adam and taught him all the Beautiful Names....

Peace

River

ON HIATUS

;) U ASK FOR FORGIVENESS, BEACUSE JUDGEMENT IS AN ENTITY RELATIVE THING, AND SOMETHING THAT IS BEYOND ALL CREATED ETERNITY WILL NECESSARILY JUDGE YOU ACCORDING TO ITS EXISTANCE, YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE JUDGED ACCORDING TO Allah (SWT)'S EXISTENCE AS A BEING....YOU GO TO HELL, that is why you ask for forgiveness, its about humility in front of your creator, for if you (or i) even knew what you were talking about, a judge in a court judges you according to norms of acceptable conduct set according to human morals....get the drift Warrior...imagine Gods norms,...so you ask for forgiveness so as to be judged through our own pathetic human norms, YOU DO NOT TAKE GOD FOR GRANTED, HE'S GOD REMEMBER!

P.S: THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH SO-CALLED CHRISTAINITY, WHAT HAS BEEN MADE OF IT, GOD CAME IN THE FLESH......so God is already a guy Astaghfirallah!..a divine supra-natural guy but in human form...so the concept of an omnipresent God, all trancendental and intangileble is already lost upon you, diluted....that is the problem!