Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Slave of Zahra

responsibilities of the kids

Rate this topic

Guest Slave of Zahra

assalamu alaikum all.. i apologize in advance if this is lengthy and forgive my ignorance... but i am looking for evidence that says the children are the responsibilities of the father 100%...is this true or not? does this remain true after divorce/ should the father be responsible even if the children remain in the home of the mother and not the father?? i was lead to believe that the father has to pay for everything for the kids.. even food clothing medical rent etc etc.. i have someone who disagrees with me and i want to know for my own personal knowledge if my belief is correct or theirs..can someone plz explain the resposibilities of the mother and what the father are concerning the kids not only their financial but their religion as well?? is the father responsible for their religious education? what if the father is a non practicing muslim? does his obligations become less or stay the same? thank u for your patience with me..

my condolences on the martydom of hazrat imam ali(AS)

Salaam

It is the duty of the father to meet all financial expenses of the children, even after divorce. From Marriage & Morals http://www.al-islam.org/WomanRights/9.htm :

Islam has placed another obstacle in the way of the husband, by imposing on him the expenses of marriage as well as those of the period of post-divorce probation for wife and of the care of children. If a man wants to divorce his wife and marry another woman, he has first to pay the maintenance of the first wife, to undertake the responsibility to bear the expenses of the children, and to fix the dower of the new wife. Furthermore, he has to shoulder the responsibility of supporting the second wife and the children which may subsequently be born.  

Apart from the responsibility of looking after the children, their woeful plight offers the husband a fearful prospect and prevents him from taking a decision to resort to divorce.