Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Syed

Marrige with Non-Muslims

Rate this topic

Bismillah

Asalam Alikum...

I amnot very sure if this issue has been previously discussed, but if it has been, please can someone gimme the link for that, and if not, I would need some input on this issues, refrences would really be appreciated...

I have had this question inmind for quite sometime now, I asked it a few months back at Shialink also, but I didn't recieve any satisfactory replies, so here I ask it again...

We shias, as I understand, can have temporary marrige with Ahle-Kitab (Christans and Jews), but we can not have permanent marrige with them... Why can we not have permanent marrige with them????I know one the reasons might be that Non-muslims can not inherit from muslims, but I am convinced that Islam is much deeper than that, and if we are forbidden from doing it, there would be a very very good justification for it... If someone can help, I would be very appreciative..

wa salam..

Selam alaycom,

I think that I've read too somewhere that muslim men can permanently marry people of the book and that they have a certain time to convert or they should let them go (divorce them). I'll look for the reference.

Peace,

Um Ali

Aslamo 3alikum,

I think, there are 2 definitions of 'The People Of Book'.

1) Allah (swt) revealed four books; Torah, Psalms, Bible, Koran. So those who follow any of these four books are known as "People Of Book".

2) Allah (swt) revealed books, but Koran was the last of them which cancelled the books revealed before it. So, those who follow Koran are the 'People Of Book". In this comes the different sects like Shias, Sunnis, Wahabis, Qadianis/Ahmadis, Lahoris, etc etc...

The Muslim women aren't allowed to marry non-Muslim men..

ma'salama

Aslamo 3alikum,

WHOM CAN YOU MARRY?

Islam places certain restrictions as far as the choice of your spouse is concerned. These restrictions are based on blood relationships and religious affiliations of the person.

(A) Restrictions based on Relationship

There are certain blood relations which are considered haram for you as far as marriage is concerned. (As a general rule, anyone who is your mahram is forbidden to you for marriage. Mahram means a blood-relative in whose presence hijab is not required.) The list of such relatives is given in the Qur'an as follows:

For Man mother daughter paternal aunt maternal aunt niece foster-mother foster-sister mother-in-law step-daughter daughter-in-law all married women sister-in-law (as a 2nd wife) (See the Qur'an, ch. 4, verse 23-24)

For Woman father son paternal uncle maternal uncle nephew foster-mother's husband foster-brother father-in-law step-son son-in-law

It worth noting that cousins have not been included in this list which means that: firstly, cousins are not mahram to each other, so hijab has to be observed between them; secondly, cousins can marry each other.

(B) Restrictions based on Religion

Marriage between two people who do not follow the same religion creates problems in the day-to-day life of the couple because no aspect of our life is outside the jurisdiction of the Islamic shari'ah. Consequently restriction in marriage based on religious differences is quite natural

A Shi'ah Muslim Man

· can marry:

a Shi'ah Muslim woman.

a non-Shi'ah Muslim woman.

however, if there is danger of being misled, then it is haram.

a Jewish or Christian woman in mut'a only.

· cannot marry: a woman of any other faith.

A Shi'ah Muslim Woman

· can marry:

a Shi'ah Muslim man.

a non-Shi'ah Muslim man,

although it is better not to do so; and if there is danger of being misled, then it is haram.

· cannot marry: a non-Muslim man.

-------------------

Source:

Marriage and Morals in Islam, by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi (Chapter 3)

ma'salama