Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
abdul_hasnain

For music lovers,

Rate this topic

In His Name, the Most High

Salaams

LOL - So now all music is haraam?

Does that mean that Firqat al-Isra and other groups in Lebanon who have permission from the Wali Amr (who is also a Marja) are committing haram?

LOL

This book while good - needs much more clarification, and depth to it.

In the mean time those of you who are interested, you can listen to and download lots of halal Islamic Music from here:

islamicdigest.net Media Gallery

It is important that we go beyond the superficial aspects of Music.

One of the reasons why Muslim youth are running away from Islam, is because we have not provided them with Muslim alternatives to the things they like doing.

This is part of the failing of the previous generation.

We must start using things that we have previously called Haram, because the only version of those things available was the haram one. We have to provide halal alternatives. This is critical.

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim

Salaams,

Was the above essay written by a Sunni? I wouldn't expect such ignorant attitudes from my Shi'ah Brothers and Sisters. I mean, fair enough, our Brothers and Sisters in the Ahl-Sunnah wal Jammat can plead ignorance on the account of only having a fraction of the True Sunnah. But what is this nonsense? Who in the world is "A. H. Sheriff", and how is he or she qualified in the fields of Human Psychology, Physiology and Sociology, aswell as Islamic Jurisprudence? I, for one, would love to see qualifications, secular as well as religious.

Getting back to what is actually said in the essay itself, let us start by dismissing the idea that music somehow has a negative effect on the human nervous system, with this article. Although it's from a Western News source, I am using it because it has no political or Western social implications. It is from a scientific perspective.

But obviously "A. H. Sheriff" knows better than the worlds leading Medical Experts.

Quite frankly, it's no wonder that we cannot move the Ummah forward when all we can muster are pseudo-intellectuals to write extremely badly referenced and biased essays which make entire area's of our cultural life "haram" or "halal" based upon their own pre-existing dogma's, using nothing but unsophisticated research and a huge amout of arrogance in believing their jurisprudencial capabilities to be above that of the Leaders of our Ummah.

This disease of ignorance is not being enforced by the Leadership of the Muslim Ummah, but instead by the people themselves.

Oh Muslims! WAKE UP! Wake up and see the position we are in. Let us STOP being so reactionary, conservative and downright dogmatic in our views. Let us bring the True Islam to the fore, the organic, fluid, revolutionary ideology which has smashed countless tyrannies throughout history. Oh Allah, please help us in our task.

Wasalaam,

Jondab Ali

Salam Alaykom,

One of the reasons why Muslim youth are running away from Islam, is because we have not provided them with Muslim alternatives to the things they like doing.

As far as i know brother, Islam does not compromise. Are we to say that becuase youths cant get off music, we give them so-called "religious songs".

Hmm....so let me see. If we give our youths "relgious songs", then they will become more religious. Lets try and get them into religion, not by songs and music, but by the Light of AhlulBayt, that is why they are there.

Does that mean that Firqat al-Isra and other groups in Lebanon who have permission from the Wali Amr (who is also a Marja) are committing haram?

Brother, if your marjei, im not sure who your so-called Wali Amr is....mine is Imam Al-Mahdi (atf), allowS it then listen to it. But other marjei say it is Haraam, and they apply their reasoning on both Quraan and hadith. There is a book called "Music and its Effects", a Shia one. I dont think it is online though. You should read it, alhamdulilah, it has shown many "youths" the evil of music.

For example, Ayatullah Syed Ali Al-Husseini Al-Seestani (may Allah prolong his life) says music is haraam.

Juripedence Made Easy off najaf.org

Now, on a different subject, is it permissible to listen to religious songs?

-  Do you mean the performance of religious chanting accompanied by conventional music?

*  Yes.

-  It is forbidden to listen to these songs and any other non-entertaining words, be they supplications, words of praise, [or others], if they were performed to a musical tune.

*  What about entertaining words vocalized with music?

-  That is conventional singing which is not permissible beyond any doubt.

Unfortunately, your reasoning to allow music is to bring people into religion through music. There is no such thing as an alternative to haraam acts. The Halal alternative is Quran, dua and hadith, hence AHLULBAYT.

Please forgive me if i offended anyone, that was not my intention

Wassalam

In His Name, the Most High

Salaams

Brother, if your marjei, im not sure who your so-called Wali Amr is....mine is Imam Al-Mahdi (atf), allowS it then listen to it. But other marjei say it is Haraam, and they apply their reasoning on both Quraan and hadith. There is a book called "Music and its Effects", a Shia one. I dont think it is online though. You should read it, alhamdulilah, it has shown many "youths" the evil of music.

Firstly, the term Wali Amr used in the context of the Absence of Imam al-Mahdi(May our souls be his ransom) is used to refer to the Wali Faqih, in our time this is Imam al-Khamenei(May Allah protect him from the enemies). It is not a term I have created. It is a term used across the Islamic Ummah, by the Islamic Revolutionaries, by Baseej, by Hizbullah, and by all those who follow the true Islam of Muhammad(S).

And with all due respect, the fact that you do not know this, and say "so-called" is an indication of your ignorance. Something about which you will be questioned (if on the other hand you are aware but reject his authority - then quite frankly what is the difference between you and those who rejected the representatives of Imam al-Hujjah(AJ) during the shorter ghaybah? - this is a rhetorical question - it should encourage you to open your mind and think a little, but I am - insha Allah - certain that this is not the case).

Second, while it is understood that the Music that is listened to by the general non-Muslim mainstream is generally thought of as haram, it is important, nay neccessary for us to provide an Islamic alternative.

Something we have been given a headstart with from the Islamic Revolutionary and the revolutionary suruds that came out from it, and from the various groups in Lebanon and the anasheed Islami they have produced.

If we do not provide an alternative, then it is on our heads, not just if our youth go away from Islam, but also that non-Muslims do not hear the truth about Islam. It is the responsibility of all the believers to give the true Islam to the World.

What we are suggesting, is that we produce English language versions of songs, encompassing various music genres, so that that avenue and tool of the enemies of Allah will be rendered impotent.

Your argument:

As far as i know brother, Islam does not compromise. Are we to say that becuase youths cant get off music, we give them so-called "religious songs".

As it stands, the way you have described it renders the whole concept of ijtihad void. Since Islam can take on new concepts and islamify them. There is no compromise in this.

In fact it is a compromise for Islam and Muslims to do what they have been doing for years, which is sit around and let the non-Muslims progress, and we sit around and cry waiting for Imam al-Mahdi(AJ) to re-appear.

It is critical for us, to provide an alternative. People come to Islam in many different ways from many different routes. If music is something that appeals to the masses, we must have Islamic Songs being produced, in English. Why? So that people do not have that excuse.

Also, from your argument, it can be extrapolated that even Islamic Movies, Islamic TV Programs, Islamic Dramas are all haram, since according to your twisted and out of context logic it is all part of a huge compromise against Islam. With all due respect, have you gone mad?!

Islamic Movies, Islamic TV Programs, Islamic Dramas and Islamic Music are all avenues for Tabligh and Dawa and for spreading the word of Islam to the world. They are not a compromise, in fact I cannot understand how you feel it is a compromise, unless you are determined to keep Islam in the dark ages, and unless you wish to promote and impotent version of Islam that appeals to none except the most dogmatic. Wake up. Look at the bigger picture, look at things with binocular vision, rid yourself of your tunnel vision and your short-sightedness with the spectacles of the true Islam of Muhammad(S). Wake up for the sake of Allah!! Wake up!!

Besides, what is so wrong with Music? What has been made haram in Quran is that which is "vain", "pointless". Vain and inane chatter is haram in Islam and there is no question with this. Definately.

But Music can be made to teach people Islamic morals, Islamic concepts. Have you even bothered to listen to what the Islamic Nasheed produced by groups within Hizbullah are saying?

Have a listen and watch the video (with subitles) of this song:

The Children of Quds are Calling You

Why do you people insist on being so dogmatic in your understanding of Islam. This is why even with 1.3 billion Muslims against 5 million Israelis, our beloved Quds is occupied.

Also, you quoted this "fatwa" of Ayatullah al-Udhma Sayyed Ali as-Seestani(HA):

Now, on a different subject, is it permissible to listen to religious songs?

-  Do you mean the performance of religious chanting accompanied by conventional music?

*  Yes.

-  It is forbidden to listen to these songs and any other non-entertaining words, be they supplications, words of praise, [or others], if they were performed to a musical tune.

*  What about entertaining words vocalized with music?

-  That is conventional singing which is not permissible beyond any doubt.

Fair enough, you have found this on a site. But by implication from the manner in which you have quoted it out of context, this means that even the Nohe, Latmiyyah, Adiyaat, Quran, etc are all HARAM?!!

This is insane. With all due respect, if you are going to quote fatawi, then I would suggest that you do it within context, and not out of context just to prove your own internal desires and your own interpretation of the subject. When you reach the level of ijtihad you can do this - until then - follow it if you must but do not force people to have your own understanding.

The entire link for the page you extracted a few lines form out of context is as follows:

najaf.org > Jurisprudence Made Easy > Misc. Issues - Part 2

There is another fatwa from Ayatullah al-Udhma Seestani(HA) on this same subject (available from the same site najaf.org (this url includes the source of the quote I am about to make):

Music

Q166: What is the limit separating lawful from unlawful music? If the criterion is its being labeled 'entertainment or amusement' then this is not clear according to convention because there are differences of opinion on that.

A: The separating limit is its being of suitable quality for the gatherings of amusement and of immorality. (MMS, p. 28, Q53)

Q167: Also, regarding musical tunes, what is the criterion for their prohibition? Is the criterion their actual use in songs by people of immorality or is it enough for them to be suitable for such purposes? Is there any difference in situation if they are used during the commemoration of (Imam) Husayn or Islamic songs, for example, etc.?

A: The rule also is their being suitable for gatherings (of amusement and of immorality) and their prohibition is absolutely not lifted by using them during the commemoration or otherwise, based on precaution. (MMS, p. 28, Q54)

Q168: What is the ruling on so-called music in present customary usage?

A: It is of two kinds. One of them suits the places of amusement and entertainment and thus listening to it is prohibited. The other one is other than this and therefore is not prohibited. (FM, p. 437)

Q169: Some types of music are broadcast before the recitation of the noble Qurían or the adhan, before the religious program begins or during. Is it permissible to listen to it?

A: The great majority of them are of the second type and thus are lawful. (FM, p. 437)

Q170: Musical interludes and music that precedes announcement of the news.

A: The same applies. (same answer as Q169) (FM, p. 438)

Q171: Some types of watches, in addition to specifying the time, have musical pieces for the pleasure of the owner whenever he wishes (to hear them). Is it permissible to buy and sell them (watches), or even to listen to their music?

A: It is permissible. (FM, p. 438)

Q172: Is it permissible to listen to religious songs?

Follow up: You mean religious phrases that are composed with musical tunes that are common amongst the people of amusement and entertainment?

Response: Yes.

A: It is prohibited to listen to them. The same ruling applies to all phrases that are not for pleasure and amusement ó such as supplication or dhikr ó but composed with these musical tunes. (FM, p. 437)

Q173: Classical music is believed to soothe excited nerves, and is also prescribed at times for treatment of some psychological ailments. Is it permissible for me to listen to it?

A: Yes, it is permissible to listen to music which is not suited for the gatherings of amusement and entertainment. (FM, p. 438)

Q174: Music with pictures that is associated with television films, popular serial programs, the aim of which is to raise the degree of excitement of the viewers in accordance with the atmosphere of the film. For example, if the exhibited scene is frightening, then this music helps in prompting fear and its effect on the viewers.

A: The great majority of them are of the lawful type. (FM, p. 438)

Q175: . . . emotional and national poetry that are at times accompanied by music.

A: The same criterion as was previously mentioned (in Q168). (FM, p. 438)

Q176: The buying and selling of flutes, musical recordings and the like, from among the instruments of pleasure and amusement, is prohibited. However, there are instruments made for children's amusement. Is it permissible to buy and sell them?

A: It is permissible as long as they are not classified among the instruments of forbidden pleasure and amusement. (FM, p. 411)

Q177: Is it permissible for a Muslim to send his son to one of the musical institutes to study music as a profession under the condition that he will not use his profession for forbidden things?

A: There is no objection to studying lawful music in itself, but in sending children to musical institutes one should ensure that it does not negatively affect them in their religious upbringing. God knows best. (MMS, p. 17, Q19)

Oh dear do I detect a contradiction with what you had posted previously? But from the same Marja?!

This is what happenes when you post only that portion that you wish to promote to people to fit with your own concepts.

Remember, remember very clearly, Bani Israel's downfall was caused by amongst other things their selection of certain parts of the book and rejection of other parts of the book. Becareful how your portray Islam, and be weary of portraying it in a dogmatic manner. Islam never was, is not, and will never be just some mindless dogma, that version of Islam, the dogmatic Islam is the Islam of Satan and of America and her allies. An Islam that suppresses and prevents the liberation of humanity. The true Islam of Muhammad(S) facilitates the liberation of Humanity from the shackles that chain us down - shackles we have imposed on our selves due to years of ignorance and insanity, and in the same way that Bani Israel killed many a prophet of Allah, the Muslim too have killed many high Ulema becauase what the Alem was saying was against the dogmatic view of ignorant masses.

Prophet Zakariyyah(A) was reject by the Sanhedrin, the "Jewish Holy Men" and their cronies, as was Yahya bin Zakariyyah(A), as was Isa ibn Maryam(A) and his mother Maryam al-Muqaddasah(A) and many others.

Beware that you do not follow those whose example is that of a person who rides a donkey facing backwards, beware you do not become of the Sanhedrin.

I hope this message promotes your thought process, and allows you to come out of your rut of dogma, which serves no purpose but to slow Islam down. Open your mind, and follow the rightful Leadership. Then you will be on the path of success.

In Quran, we have clearly the verse:

"Verily the Party of Allah(Hizbullah) is victorious" -- Quran, Surah al-Maidah

With Salaams and Dua's

Shabbir

Bismillah wha Salam !

I must tell you bros. that Sheikh Shabbir do have a point.

Now let me put forward an example from real life and you will see what I mean.

I introduced Islam to a friend of mine, he is a unbeliver and left-partist but hezbullah lover. After a series of discussions etc the long awaited question came to surface. He first said that he couldn't beliver and he didn't say any real reason why, just that he couldn't. But before he went he asked me: "Ehsan, how is it? If you become a moslim, you can't listen to music right?"

I can sense that Islam isn't a very attracting religion among youths because of all the "restrictions" which are hard for a non-moslim to get famillar with. Don't get me wrong now, for me who the light of faith has enlightened my heart have easy to follow all the fatwas etc, but for a non-moslem to give up all his beloved passions isn't easy, and that is what makes Islam so "frigtening".

But if we, as sheikhna said, give options which they can enjoy themselves with, which is halal, and slowly when the light of belief gets manifested in their heart they can give it all up and follow the right path.

And he has listened to the Hezbullah anasheed and even burnt a CD with them...when i asked why he said they have a good beat.

So please reconsider what the Sheikh said and listen to his words of wisdom...surely they are guiding....if you only knew !

And please also...i have witnessed this to many times...if you dont consider Ayatollah al-Udhma Seyyed Khameini (ha) as Wali al-Amr, well thats you "problem"......but why do you always have to almost insult him or put him down because of it ?

Tell me why ?

Even if he wouldn't be Wali al-Amr, he is still a high Alem and Marja and even Seyyed and to AT LEAST respect him is WAJIB, Imam Mahdi (as) said that after me, the ulema are they highest authority in religion, and if this is how we treat our ulema i wonder how we will treat our imam (as) ? :( :donno:

Salaams,

im srry to say but im addicted to music...all types ..and as long as it doesnt effect my deen or iman y shud it be haraam?

Don't worry bro, it isn't Haram, according to the Wali Amr. :D If you adhere to the doctrine of Wilayah al-Faqih, then his decision on cultural matters (including music) overrules that of any other Marja. So chill, relax, and put on some tunes. B) lol

Wasalaam,

Jondab Ali

Salaams,

He's being modest, sis. He's really a Sheikh. B) lol But he doesn't like to be made a fuss of. He lectures sometimes, but usually he's our virtual Sheikh. hehe

Wasalaam,

Jondab Ali

Bismillah wha Salam !

Actually i have the honor too have 2 virtual sheikhs and 1 sheikha (sister who is sheikh).

1 developed sheikh -> Sheikh Shabbir

and 2 developing sheikhs -> sheikh Jondab-Ali and another sister sheikha

you see, every person who studies at the hawsa you can Call Sheikh...in fact they go in as sheikhs....kewl huh ?! B) :rolleyes:

And one of the reasons for Jibriel (as) wanting to become a human was to have friendship with scholars....kewl i know a bunch of them now ! B) :D