Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Banda-e-Khuda

Ezra, Son of God in Jewish tradition

Rate this topic

Salaamz,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this question. I have heard that Quran (or some hadith) blames Jews for believing/worshipping Ezra, Son of God. Is it true? If it is only a hadith, is it found in shia sources as well? I didn't find any notion of such a belief in Jewish (elementary) literature I have read so far. If Quran or some authentic hadith does attribute such a belief to Judaism, was this to address some specific cult of Judaism of that time? Would appreciate your response ~PS

(bismillah)

(salam)

The Qur'an says:

[shakir 9:30] And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away![/QUOTE]

It may not be referring to all Jews here...from what I've read it seems the Jews of Arabia held idolatrous beliefs (probably from contact with the mushrikeen and Christians) and the belief of Ezra as the son of god may have been one of those beliefs. Allah (SWT) knows best.

You might find this article helpful:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Con...ernal/ezra.html

Interesting site. But as far as I know, no sect of Judaism has ever held Ezra to be "ibnu Allahi."

That being the case, I guess the Koran must be mistaken, and therefore is not a divine document. :angel:

Interesting site. But as far as I know, no sect of Judaism has ever held Ezra to be "ibnu Allahi."

(bismillah)

(salam)

You didn't read further into the article:

The Islamic exegetes have mentioned that there existed a community of Jews in Yemen who considered Ezra as son of God. Hirschberg says in Encyclopaedia Judaica:

H Z Hirschberg proposed another assumption, based on the words of Ibn Hazm, namely, that the 'righteous who live in Yemen believed that 'Uzayr was indeed the son of Allah.' According to other Muslim sources, there were some Yemenite Jews who had converted to Islam who believed that Ezra was the messiah. For Muhammad, Ezra, the apostle (!) of messiah, can be seen in the same light as the Christian saw Jesus, the messiah, the son of Allah.[4]

That being the case, I guess the Koran must be mistaken, and therefore is not a divine document. :angel:

Why such haste, mon ami !

The existence of no records of Jews believing in Ezra as son of God does not necessarily invalidate the recording of the Quran.

It is quite possible that they existed in such small numbers and in such isolated communities that records have been lost.

Technically speaking, it is incorrect to make a claim that if you don't find evidence of such a belief in the Jewish religious history, then it never existed. Especially considering the fact that there are other instances where one find that some (not all) Jewish people did believe some sacred figure to be so near to God (in some mystically mysterious way) as to be part of God.

For example, I remember reading somewhere that some (again not all) followers of Sabbatai Zevi believed him to have attained the status of Divine after making the "holy apostasy". Now, if that belief can exist in the 17th century, I won't be surprised to find that some jewish cult around 7th century near Hijaz believed in some divine Ezra. Again, not generalizing it to the whole of Jewish history or believers.

The purpose of asking this question was not to start a debate. I just wanted to know if there were any historical record that I can access online. Thanks Br. Ali786 for the reference - PS

reallly!??!?!!? :!!!:

It is quite possible that they existed in such small numbers and in such isolated communities that records have been lost.

God only has ONE "final" publication. Why put such frivilous verses???

Edited by Lebstyle