Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Simba

Q&A on Muharram

Rate this topic

Q. Why do Shias hit their chests in Muharram?

A. The hitting of the chest in Muharram symbolizes a Muslim's grief towards the martyrdom of Imam Hussain that resulted in a very bloody and tragic war between good and evil. Imam Hussain didn't die a normal death but was part of a massacre in the name of Allah that resulted in the death of 110 innocent children and many of the women that were women. With 72 loyal companions he faced Yazeed's 40,000 army. This isn't a tragedy that just passes and is forgotten this easily. If a person for example lost a father, he or she would hit her chest or head in grief, this is what Shias do over the death of Imam Hussain.

This act also helps to keep Imam Hussain's cause alive in the hearts of Muslims all around the world. If we stopped crying over Imam Hussain, he would disappear like many other big figures in history.

Q. Isn't it haram to beat yourself because of a person?

A. First of all, Imam Hussain isn't a normal person and is considered higher than others according to the Quran (Innemah yoreed Allah li yoth-hib ankom alrijs ahl albait weh yotehhirekom tatheerah) and therefore he is given higher respect.

If you do something that conflicts damage upon yourself, then it is haram. Therefore, if beating yourself in Muharram results in your death or catching a disease then it is haram. However, both these arguments are irrelevant because they cannot possibly occur when a person simply beats his chest.

Q. Why do Shias cry over a person that died 1400 years ago?

A. It is not haram to cry over a person as great as the grandson of the Prophet. You might, however, ask why we cry over him after 1400 years of his tragic death! Our crying not only helps to keep Imam Hussain's cause alive in the hearts of Muslims all around the world, but also makes you feel closer to Allah. It is only when your heart is soft and absorbable that you feel the sense of closeness to Allah. You might ask why then don't you cry over the Prophet's death who has a higher rank than Imam Hussain. Well, the answer is that it is the way Imam Hussain was killed that makes us sad and full of grief not just the death itself. Our Imam was now only killed, but cut to pieces and the heads of his companions were all placed on long spears...

Q. Why do Shias call 'Ya Hussain' in Muharram instead of 'Ya Allah'?

A. Why do you go to the doctor? Shouldn't you juts raise your hands to the sky and say 'Ya Allah cure me'? Of course not. The world we live in is a world of cause and effect. It is best to always ask help from Allah, but that alone isn't enough because we must take advantage of the help we have on Earth.

When we say Ya Hussain or Ya Ali we want help from them with the permission of Allah and as you already know, anything is possible with the permission of Allah. We do not ask help directly from Imams and Prophets who are slaves of Allah, however we ask them to help us resolve our problem by telling the Almighty of it.

For example, if you want a new job at a company and straight away go to the general manager you don't have a likely chance to get the job. However, if you are recommended by another manager of the company, who have a much better chance at getting the job.

Q. Is it true that Shias beat themselves in Muharram because they are regretful that they killed Imam Hussain?

A. A very well spread rumor that is absolutely wrong and is targeted at destructing the Shia faith and mocking their acts in Muharram. You might laugh at what goes on in Muharram, but remember, many foreigners also laugh at what we do in Hajj and how we circle around a black square building.

Q. Can a Non-Muslim enter a Husayneyyeh (Maatem)?

A. Yes. A Husayneyyeh isn't like a mosque where only Muslims can enter. The doors of a Husayneyyeh are open to whoever wants to come in and educate themselves or learn more about the Ahl Albait.

Q. What is a Husayneyeyyeh (Maatem)?

A. It is a place where loyal Muslim brothers and sisters gather and listen to high quality lectures about religion, science, and the world in general. In Muharram, for example, there are certain programs such as the reading of the Maqtel of Imam Hussain. On other occasions, food is supplied and people sit with each other and eat this blessed food while talking about various subjects.

Q. Muharram is the first day of the Hijri year, shouldn't Muslims be happy instead of crying over a person?

A. Imagine if the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) died on 1st Muharram, what would you do? Would you celebrate that day or would you be ashamed of celebrating a day in which the Prophet of Islam died on?

Now look at the situation with the same perspective, Imam Hussain was killed on the 10th of Muharram (On 2nd of Muharram he reached Karbala); was this his fault? Did he plan to be killed on this particular day? Of course not! It was by the wish of Allah that this day was chosen to host the tragic death of Imam Hussain. And would anyone dare confront the will of Allah!?

In life, we must always follow the saying "Do what's the most important and then the important" It is true that both the Hijri new year and the martyrdom of Imam Hussain are important, however we must do that which is more important and has affected our lives more.

It is also important to say that there is no conflict with being happy for the coming of the new year and crying for Imam Hussain. It depends how you define happiness? To Muslims happiness is getting closer to God, reciting special dua'as, praying special Salaats. So if happiness is getting closer to god then there is no conflict between these 2!

Q. Shias say that the 12 Imams will be their Shafee's on Judgment day. How can human beings change the decision of Allah?

A. First of all, it is not that Prophets or Imams change the decision of Allah, however, Allah might sometimes do some things for certain people. For example, Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) asked from Allah to reduce the number of daily prayers from 50 to 5 and Allah did just that. Now to the second part of the question, can Imams be the Shafee's of Muslims on judgment day? the basic answer is 'yes', and now for the explanation:

Let's use the previous example, if you were to apply for a job, wouldn't it be better for you to have a shafee'e which can help you in getting the job? A shafee'e has limited power, however, his/her power or authority is more than others. If you were standing in front of Allah on judgment day, wouldn't it be better to have a shafee'e that can help you get away from hell and enter heaven? Imams and Prophets are not normal shafee'es, they are people that are very loyal to Allah and return Allah is loyal to them. And so the Quran speaks!

The word Shafee'e comes from the word Shefe'eh which in Arabic means helped. Therefore, shafee'e means helper. For example if you have a back pain, to get up you may ask another person to help you and hold your hand. Why don't you ask God to help you? So here, God is helping you througgh another person. The same is true with shafae'eh. In the day of judgment, Allah may reduce your punishment for the sake of some good obedient people. therefore, the concept of shafae'e does not imply that people interfere in the decisions of Allah. Here are some verses from the Quraan the indicate the concept of shafae'eh:

Surat Al-Nisa'a, Aya 14

Surat Al-Munafiqoon, Aya 5

Surat Ghafir, Aya 7

Surat Al-Anfal, Aya 22

Surat Al-Shooraa, Aya 5

Surat Al-Imran, Aya 159

Surat Yousuf, Aya 97

Surat Al-Noor, Aya 62

Thank you for this:

Unfortunately there are still those who do not want to listen!! Some people seemed to be offended at the mere forwardinf of an email....hoever I think this does really help, but unfortuanately it seem we Shia will always be accused of bidaah and shirk amongst the Sunni majority etc etc :( :o

ps they p[articularly had a prb with this question:

Q. Why do Shias call 'Ya Hussain' in Muharram instead of 'Ya Allah'?

and think it invokes shirk/polytheism, or making imam hussain like Allah. can sum1 more knowledgeable and coherent that me, give a logical reply to this sort of idea?

Edited by truth&justice

(salam)

Thanks a lot bro this will help a lot of us to ans these typical questions asked by sunni bro and sisters.

Salam Alaikoum...

Yeah seriously, this helped a lot.

I knew most of the answers to these questions, but when someones comes up to me and asks them, i find it very difficult to give them a convincing answer, I can't find the right words or methods to use.

Thanks for posting. Btw, if you have any more Q&A. please post it. Especially if it's questions regarding the tragedy.

wa/salam

Was glad to know that the Q&A's i posted were helpful.

Truth&Justice says: Q. Why do Shias call 'Ya Hussein' in Muharram instead of 'Ya Allah'?

Ya Hussein simply means 'Oh Hussein'. Does saying Oh Hussein makes someone god? for example. If someone said 'Oh s4ever' does tht mean i became god? :blink: lol.. i think the non beleivers need to search for some better excuses for not being on the right path..

I blv, shias are saying 'Ya Hussein' inorder to remember the tragedy of kerbala and all the sacrifices our imam made to save us and our religion ISLAM!

Why today soo many ppl in this world are against shias??? WHY?? Why dont they just leave us alone and let us do whatever we wana do??? There is just one reason behind it, n tht is tht THEY ARE JELOUS!!..Its just becoz they know that our religion, faith n purpose of coming to this world is still ALIVE n their's is dead.. NO OTHER RELIGION REMEMBERS THEIR LEADERS AS HOW WE SHIA'S DO (Alhamdulillah).. Yazid won the war physically, but in logical sense, i dont see his name anywhere in this world.. ppl are spitting n kicking his n his ppl's graves..whereas the name of Hussein is still ALIVE in each and every corner of the world.. This definately proves "HUSSEIN SAVED ISLAM" ..May Allah (swt) grant us all the tawfiq (capability) to continue mourning on imam hussein forever. For however much we mourn, is less, he sacrifised everything just for the sake of us..

I seriously dont mind making the non-beleivers jelous forever ;)

(salam)

As a muslim brother, Im still finding that explanation of saying "ya hussayn" difficult to accept.

When I am at mosque and when people call for ali (a.s.) or hussayn (a.s.) I dont say it, feeling like im calling on a human for help. Yes they were more than us, but essentially they were still human. I still find it difficult saying that at all. I think to myself if Imam Hussayn(a.s.) or Imam Ali (a.s.) came back and saw us calling onto him, whould he be pleased? They died to preserve Islam so we can say "Ya Allah" freely. As well, If I do not recall reading hatidth of the prophet and of Imam Ali which says for us to call onto them in times of need, they never called onto themselves, they only called onto Allah subhana w'ta3ala.

I heard a brother telling me that it was the hadith of the prophet that when someone dies, we should not slap our faces, our heads or our chests. I wish I had the reference, but I cant find it, if someone can, that would be great.

your brothers in the attept to understand,

Hassan H.

I heard a brother telling me that it was the hadith of the prophet that when someone dies, we should not slap our faces, our heads or our chests. I wish I had the reference, but I cant find it, if someone can, that would be great.

your brothers in the attept to understand,

Hassan H.

(salam)

There is a difference among 'Maut' , 'Halakat' & 'Shahadat'. Mola Hussain a.s is not dead.

Ummul Momineen Ayesha slapped her face ( continuously ) on the death of the Prophet p.b.u.H.

Fi-Amanillah

(salam)

There is a difference among  'Maut' ,  'Halakat'  &  'Shahadat'. Mola Hussain a.s is not dead.

Ummul Momineen Ayesha slapped her face ( continuously ) on the death of the Prophet p.b.u.H.

Fi-Amanillah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u are arguing the grief felt at the moment of losing a loved one justifys matam 1400 yrs later? cause many ppl "lose it" when they lose a loved one, but they dont make it a annual tradition. 2ndly i too find that explanation for ya Ali madad or ya Hussein madad to be very flimsy? comparing it to a doctor? give me a break. if you really wanna go down that road why not call on our Prophet (pbuh) who was the closest of all? but then i hear ppl say well since Hazrat Ali was closest to the Prophet (pbuh)......u can continue that game forever.

and s4ever ur implying that Hazrat Hussein won and the Sunnis lost? jealous of shias? thats a rather childish way to put it. we dont agree with ur practices doesnt mean we are jealous. if that so, and since shias claim sunnis forged all that goes against shia beliefs, couldnt we have conveniently written out all the high praise for Hazrat Ali and his sons and the AhlulBayt overall? and recognizing leaders? i find the shias mostly forgetting about our Prophet (pbuh) in favor of Hazrat Ali and his lineage.

u are arguing the grief felt at the moment of losing a loved one justifys matam 1400 yrs later?

My friend. Firstly, I was not arguing.

Secondly, you are too quick to reach conclusions.

Here is what the member said:

it was the hadith of the prophet that when someone dies, we should not slap our faces, our heads or our chests

Which is why, I replied:

Thus, you seem to be going off-topic.

2ndly i too find that explanation for ya Ali madad or ya Hussein madad to be very flimsy? comparing it to a doctor? give me a break.

For the sake of Moharram, lets just leave such stirring discussions for some other time. Thankyou.

Fi-Amanillah.

Edited by inshaAllah