Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

73 sects in Islam

• Advanced Member

Aslaamalaikum brothers and sisters, does anyone know what the names of the 73 sects of Islam are? Also what actually constitutes a sect? For instance we have the Ismaili's, Zaydi's, Twelver's etc in Shiaism. Is that 3 sects or 1 and why? Also in the Ahle Sunnah we have the Deobandies, Sunni's, Wahaabie's etc and then we have the four madhabs in 'traditional' Sunniism.

Khuda Hafiz :)

Hur

Edited by Hur
  • Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam) brother Peer Syed Sahib,

But the four madhabs cannot be classified as different sects

I would agree with that as you could say that it is loosely similar to the shia idea of taqleed and following a maraji.

I think you can say that Zaydi, Aga Khanis, Bohras, Ithna Asharis can be classified as different sects

I suppose what my post is really about is how do you define a sect? and has anyone compiled a list of Islamic sects?

Khuda Hafiz

Hur

• Advanced Member

hur, wahabi isnt art of ah lus sunnah and deobandis are hanafis , but in matters of aqeedah have been influenced by the wahabi/salafi crowd. i prefer the brelwi crowd, ho i prefer not to classify myself as a brelwi as it creates fitnah. :)

Edited by kaaju barfi

I do not belive anyone can compile a listing of all "73" Islamic sects as there is no full proof that the Islamic sects number 73.

The "famous" hadith that says Islam will seperate into 73 sects of which only one will be saved is a tool of arogancy used by all sects and it stops open-minded thinking by people, and I do not belive that this hadith is sahih as it goes against the Justice of Allah.

You cannot be saved by simply being randomly born into a certain sect which happens to be "on the right path".

At the end of the day Allah will judge our intentions.

I believe believers in wilayat al-faqih system have formed the 73 sect in islam

:lol: That was funny

Edited by Qizilbash
  • 7 years later...

i've always wondered if there was ever a list because i couldnt find it before, its quite interesting!! I heard of this one tribe (i think in Northern Iraq) who claim to be muslim but follow Shaytaan because they think he rules the world atm!! they ovbiously dont know a thing about Islam then :dry:

• Advanced Member

Those 73 sects document is a joke.most of the sects mentioned cannot be termed sect for one such belief as we have many such beliefs in shia ithna ashari imamiya for e.g., rajat. This has been given the status of a sect

The most prominent difference is that the 73rd sect is ahle ilm and all the rest 72 are ahle rai

Ya Ali Madad

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

(salam)

Here is the Shi`i version of the hadith.

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنِ ابْنِ مَحْبُوبٍ عَنْ جَمِيلِ بْنِ صَالِحٍ عَنْ أَبِي خَالِدٍ الْكَابُلِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي جَعْفَرٍ ع قَالَ «ضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا رَجُلًا فِيهِ شُرَكاءُ مُتَشاكِسُونَ وَ رَجُلًا سَلَماً لِرَجُلٍ هَلْ يَسْتَوِيانِ مَثَلًا» (الزمر -: 29 -)

قَالَ أَمَّا الَّذِي فِيهِ شُرَكَاءُ مُتَشَاكِسُونَ فَلِأَنَّ الْأَوَّلَ يَجْمَعُ الْمُتَفَرِّقُونَ وَلَايَتَهُ وَ هُمْ فِي ذَلِكَ يَلْعَنُ بَعْضُهُمْ بَعْضاً وَ يَبْرَأُ بَعْضُهُمْ مِنْ بَعْضٍ فَأَمَّا رَجُلٌ سَلَمُ رَجُلٍ فَإِنَّهُ الْأَوَّلُ حَقّاً وَ شِيعَتُهُ

ثُمَّ قَالَ إِنَّ الْيَهُودَ تَفَرَّقُوا مِنْ بَعْدِ مُوسَى ع عَلَى إِحْدَى وَ سَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً مِنْهَا فِرْقَةٌ فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَ سَبْعُونَ فِرْقَةً فِي النَّارِ

وَ تَفَرَّقَتِ النَّصَارَى بَعْدَ عِيسَى ع عَلَى اثْنَتَيْنِ وَ سَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً فِرْقَةٌ مِنْهَا فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَ إِحْدَى وَ سَبْعُونَ فِي النَّارِ

وَ تَفَرَّقَتْ هَذِهِ الْأُمَّةُ بَعْدَ نَبِيِّهَا ص عَلَى ثَلَاثٍ وَ سَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً اثْنَتَانِ وَ سَبْعُونَ فِرْقَةً فِي النَّارِ وَ فِرْقَةٌ فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَ مِنَ الثَّلَاثِ وَ سَبْعِينَ فِرْقَةً ثَلَاثَ عَشْرَةَ فِرْقَةً تَنْتَحِلُ وَلَايَتَنَا وَ مَوَدَّتَنَا اثْنَتَا عَشْرَةَ فِرْقَةً مِنْهَا فِي النَّارِ وَ فِرْقَةٌ فِي الْجَنَّةِ وَ سِتُّونَ فِرْقَةً مِنْ سَائِرِ النَّاسِ فِي النَّارِ

From Aboo Khaalid Al-Kaabulee (Kankar) from Abee Ja`far (عليه السلام): He said: (asked about the words) «God tells a parable in which there is a company of quarrelsome people and only one of them is well disciplined. Can they be considered as equal? » (39:39).

He (عليه السلام) said: «The quarrelsome ones» are because the first ones gather the different ones in his leadership and they did la`nah (curse) and did bara’a (disassociate) from each other. «The well disciplined man» is the first in the matters of his right as well as his Shee`ahs (followers).

Then He (عليه السلام) said: “The Jews after Moosa (عليه السلام) separated into 71 sects of which one is in Jannah (i.e. Heaven) and the (remaining) 70 sects are in the fire (i.e. Hell).

And the Christians after `Eesa (عليه السلام) separated into 72 sects of which one sect is in Jannah and the (remaining) 71 (sects) are in the fire.

And this Ummah after the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) separated into 73 sects and 72 sects are in the fire and one sect is in Jannah and from the 73 sects, 13 of the sects plagiarize/impersonate friendship and wilayah of us (the Imaams), and 12 sects from it are in the fire, and one sect is in Jannah, and the (remaining) 60 sects from the rest of the people are in the fire”

http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/12/73-sects-of-islam.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

^^^

The most striking aspect for me of this narration is that it's the belief of a person that will determine his/her fate, not (only) the deeds.

If your aqeedah is wrong then all the prayers and fasting in the world won't avail you; you have to be of the sect that's on Truth to be saved from Jahanum regardless how many good deeds you do.

This would equate with the narrations about bad deeds being turned into good ones (NOT a license to sin I might add!) for those who truly believe.

Of course we believe that sect to be Imamiya Shi'ah ;-)

ALI

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

If you counted out all the sects of Islam as we understand it today, you would end up with a lot more than 71 or 72 or 73. There are at least 100 to 200. The historicity of these hadith needs to be traced back and critically examined in light of the fact that:

In the Islamic world, "72" has been used to simply mean "a great number." 72 of the Prophet's family died in Karbala, no? Was this the historical catalyst for the value given to this number, or had it happened already?

What is mean by sects, and where are the lines drawn? If we still want to consider this hadith to be sahih in light of the obvious fact that there are many more than 73 sects in Islam today (usually that is enough to regard it as null), then we must understand that this tradition has the borders drawn a little differently. Meaning quite possibly that, from our own perspective today, more than one "sect" may enter Paradise (in the form of one sect the boundaries within which apparently irrelevant to the Divine Will).

The "famous" hadith that says Islam will seperate into 73 sects of which only one will be saved is a tool of arogancy used by all sects and it stops open-minded thinking by people' date=' and I do not belive that this hadith is sahih as it goes against the Justice of Allah.

You cannot be saved by simply being randomly born into a certain sect which happens to be "on the right path".

At the end of the day Allah will judge our intentions.[/quote']

I agree with all of this, I think. We have to really exercise caution when repeating this hadith and acting as though we've fully comprehended its meaning and it just happens to suit us.

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

There can erupt 73 or more sect bt only 1 is true.some other may true if in same line or form.eg. In sunnis,wahabi,deobandi & T.J. All r 1 in uprising.they never in history contradicted bt supported each other.all r the radish frm 1 field.so all suppliment each other.1 man can become all 3.bt which 1 is true Allah knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Shia islam is the only true right way.I'm not belive in that i know that!But i also belive that some of non shia muslim will enter to Jannah.

By hadith,we know that everyone who's tears for Imam Hussein a.s was honest,that will enter to Jannah.Imam Sadik Jafer b Muhammed alejhissellam said : "Everyone who honestly cry for Imam Hussein a.s,will enter to Jannah"(Bihar)

I know manny sufis who are crying for Imam Hussein a.s,but Allah know are they honest.If they are,acording to this hadith,they will enter to Jannah.Those "one chosen group" are group of honest.Not Shia,Suffi,Sunni.But those who honestly belive in "La ilahe ilAllah" But Allah knows best.Salam

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

The number 7, 70, 700 etc...all t hings 7, in the Arabic language just mean a lot and a larger number. The hadith narrates that the Jews had like 71, Christians, 72, and the Muslims will have 73. This just means Jews will have a lot of sects. Christians will too, but more than Jews. Muslims will too but more than Christians.

Exactly 73 is probably not the right interpretations.

في أمان الله

• 2 weeks later...

Those 73 sects document is a joke.most of the sects mentioned cannot be termed sect for one such belief as we have many such beliefs in shia ithna ashari imamiya for e.g., rajat. This has been given the status of a sect

The most prominent difference is that the 73rd sect is ahle ilm and all the rest 72 are ahle rai

Ya Ali Madad

I sanction this view... ahlu__"ilm (The Family and Followers of The Knowledge). And what is The Knowledge? When you investigate the Qur'aan you will see that it speaks about The Book (al_kitaab).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Ya Ali Madad

Good Point

Is the Ahmadiyyah community not part of the 73 sects?

WOW!

Well in a sense as now Ahmedies it self are declared as non Muslims then don't this prophecy fulfill on them?