Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
digi

Is NATIONALISM haram?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

There is a hadith, that whoever fights udner the flag of qawmiyya (nationalism) dies a kafer.

It doesnt mean, you cannot be proud of your country or its achievement...i am even proud of my non-muslim country and its national anthem touches my heart....subhan Allah...

Qawmiyya means to put your nation, your nationalistic feelings upon Islam or to think, you are superior to others cz you are the citizen of this and this country and this is haram! The best ones are the muttaqoon (pious people..) not the amricans, Iranians, Pakistanis, Lebaneses, etc, etc...

Afterall Allah decides where we born, and firstly we belong to the Islamic umma, what has no borders or country flags. But there are different cultures, various people and mashallah, it is so nice to meet different cultures, habits, until we know, ISLAM the one what unites us. :rolleyes:

Wa Allahu alem.

Fi aman Allah

Salam Alaikum

QUOTE (digi @ Jan 16 2004, 05:47 AM)

Is it haram to be proud of one's country and it's achievments??? 

No it isn't. However to let nationalism determine your perceptions within Islam would not be deemed right as Nationalism has no place in Islam.

Agree 100%

Nationalism is not haram, as long as you dont get carried away and think your nation is better than others and such prejudices

(salam)

one should be loyal to one's country..unless it is after your blood...

BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES WHICH (to the best of my knowledge) WAS SAID BY IMAM KHOMEINI

IT'S TIME WE TREAT ALL MUSLIMS AS ONE NATION

ur brother in faith

shabib naqvi

Qawmiyya means to put your nation, your nationalistic feelings upon Islam or to think, you are superior to others cz you are the citizen of this and this country and this is haram! The best ones are the muttaqoon (pious people..) not the amricans, Iranians, Pakistanis, Lebaneses, etc, etc...

Well said sis. :P

If I’m not wrong I feel it is nationalism that is preventing the Muslims around the world to become unite. :cry:

(bismillah)

(salam)

... Muhammad ibn Ya'qub (al-Kulayni), from `Ali ibn Ibrahim, from his father, from al-Nawfali, from al-Sakuni, who reports on the authority of Abu `Abd Allah (al-Imam al-Sadiq ) (A) that the Prophet (S) said: "Whosoever possesses in his heart 'asabiyyah (prejudice in any of its forms such as tribalism, racism, nationalism) even to the extent of a mustard seed, God will raise him on the Day of Resurrection with the (pagan) Beduins of the Jahiliyyah (the pre-Islamic era).'

-Al-Kulayni, Usul al-Kafi (Intisharat `Ilmiyyah Islamiyyah, Tehran), vol. III (Arabic text with Persian translation by Sayyid Jawad Mustafawi), p. 419.

In al-Kafi, through a chain of authentic narrators], it is reported from Abu `Abd Allah (al-Imam al-Sadiq (A) that the Prophet (S) said: "The one who exerts `asabiyyah or the one on whose behalf it is exerted, the tie of faith is taken off his neck."

-Ibid.

ws

p.s.

If I’m not wrong I feel it is nationalism that is preventing the Muslims around the world to become unite.

Agreed 100%

Edited by Akhi

The only nationalism Islam recognises is unity with those who uphold and pursue the truth, whatever part of the earth they may be from.

To feel good about your country's achievements is generally (though not always) due to a feeling of superiority over or hostility towards others. In such cases, it is a form of pride and worthy of damnation.

Guest abaleada

Any nationalism that promotes secularism (read: "atheism") is against Islam. Any nationalism that calls for a dismantling of the Shari`ah is against Islam. Any nationalism that debases the `ulama is against Islam. Any nationalism that imposes culture over Islam is against Islam. Long Live the Revolution! Down with secularism!

post-10-1074319720.jpg

Edited by abaleada

Guest abaleada
Any nationalism that promotes secularism (read: "atheism") is against Islam. Any nationalism that calls for a dismantling of the Shari`ah is against Islam. Any nationalism that debases the `ulama is against Islam. Any nationalism that imposes culture over Islam is against Islam. Long Live the Revolution! Down with secularism!

post-10-1074319834.jpg

Edited by abaleada

Is it also haram to be ethnocentric??

Undoubtedly, yes.

The dictionary definition of 'ethnocentric' is as follows :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition

ethnocentric

adjective

believing that the people, customs and traditions of your own race or nationality are better than those of other races

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your question is clearly answered by this definition.

Guest ScarFace

theres a hadith of the Prophet where he said:

"7ub al wadan mil al imaan"

"love of your country is a form of imaan"

Salaam alaikum,

There is nothing wrong with loving your country or your people. But when it is excessive, which is what nationalism is, it is wrong.

Main Entry: na·tion·al·ism

Pronunciation: 'nash-n&-"li-z&m, 'na-sh&-n&l-"i-z&m

Function: noun

: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

WaSalaam, Hajar

(salam)

I have found in my own experience that it's easy moderate my feelings of Nationalism since I live in a non muslim country , it becomes so obvious that you can only take pride in your countries achievements to a limited extent. I think Rugby World cup and it's :P :D :D , then I consider the war in Iraq and it.s :( :( :cry: .

Trying very hard not to offend any people, but i do find that nationalism is taken much more seriously for people living in muslim countries....without always evaluating the actions of those governments.... :unsure: I may be worng.

Syeda

AL-HUJRAT # 13 : O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh is that who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqûn. Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

theres a hadith of the Prophet where he said:

"7ub al wadan mil al imaan"

"love of your country is a form of imaan"

This hadith is Mawdu i,e forged according to the hadith masters.

Sallam

Edited by salmany

Sallam

The Prophet abolished class and racial superstitions and made all Muslims equal before the sacred law of the Quran without any exception

--- Imam Ali (as) in Nahj Al Balagha

The Prophet, May my soul be sacrificed for him, said:

Islam has done away with the pride of paganism and boasting of forefathers. All people are from Adam who was of earth, and none has superiority over another except in chastity

Al Kafi

Edited by salmany

Sallam

As for Tribal superiority the Prophet, may my soul be sacrificed for him, said:

Inna Bani fulanin laysu li bi awliya, innama waliyyi Allah

Being related to him, in fact, consists in obeying Allah, not in being the son of so-and-so among his relatives. Whoever believes in his/her superiority because of the tribe he/she belongs to needs to reevaluate his/her Islam.

Sallam

Edited by salmany

(bismillah)

Is it also haram to be ethnocentric??

If you mean by the above question, that "Whites" are better than "blacks" or "Germans" better than "non-Germans" using this definition: "believing that the people, customs and traditions of your own race or nationality are better than those of other races" - then know that yes, it is Haram to place Race above everything which includes your perspective on life, your feelings towards others, your feelings towards your own self. The beauty of the laws of the Holy Qur'an is that they teach humility and harmony, once you feel that you are superior to others (in anyway - even if it was true), you will lose that touch with humility and harmony.

Let me explain this further (I'll try to keep it short and sweet), when you feel that your race and culture is above every other race and culture, you attach superiority to this feeling, which justifies your belief in that superiority. Once this feeling is established, you become arrogant because the feeling of superiority removes the humility, peace, and virtue that gives life to faith. So one can see, faith gradually vanished till nothing remains but empty obsession, an obsession that can easily change over time, while faith doesn't my dear sister.

To be also objective, no cultural or race is immune from mistakes and flaws - but faith is perfect, once this perfection and devotion vanishes, your ideals become nothing but flaws and mistakes, which are embodied in ethnocentricity.

If you have any questions, please ask.

(salam)

Guest ShhItsSecret

I still don't get it

I was born in this country so I love it?

I am from here so I love it?

It doesn't make sense ...who ever said one should love the country he was born in or his ancestors were born in?

I think the entire concept is like so .... oh i forgot the word.... ....one word...... ugh....... not uncivil, not caveman, not prehistoric,.... the concept is just so ignorant.... it lacks rational and logic

(bismillah)

Assalam alaykum,

I personally think that it helps foster a sense of identity... but this "national" identity should not foreshadow the fundamental part of who we are.

I am Lebanese Australian... and I am deeply connected to both - they are part of who I am today... But these two components are not as significant as the Path I follow. I am a Muslim Lebanese Australian, and as long as I don't forget that... as long as "Muslim" is before 'Lebanese' and 'Australian', than "nationalism" will essentially never be an issue.

WaSalam