In the Name of God بسم الله

Ākhbariyya or Usūliyya?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Asalamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu,

Lately I have been looking into the subject ākhbariyya and usuliyya. I really don’t know what to be. I understand views of both sites and there are also somethings I don’t really understand. I grew up as an usūli but I understand the akkhbari view of things like no taqleed etc. but when I look deeper into certain subjects like how many of them believe in tahreef al Quran I definitely disagree. It’s really hard to decide and get information about both sites also because some people don’t know how to stay respectful when discussing this subject. So please while answering this question stay respectful and remember the importance of the right akhlaq!!! If you have sites etc. where I can learn more about them I would be really thankful.

Wa aleykum al salam 

• Advanced Member

Salam 

On 6/18/2024 at 5:09 AM, nana15 said:

It’s really hard to decide and get information about both sites

you can find some useful information about it here

Akhbari and Usuli Controversy

https://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/vol-2-no-4/book-review-modern-political-islamic-thought-sayyid-akhtar/akhbari-and-usuli

Abbas Di Palma, Shaykh Abbas Di Palma holds a BA and an MA degree in Islamic Studies, and certifications from the Language Institute of Damascus University. He has also studied traditional Islamic sciences in...Answered 4 years ago
12-abbas_di_palma-469.jpg?itok=zW9N2VRh

as salam alaikum

the Akhbari/Usuli discussion is mainly related to the realm of fiqh, specifically to the way of deduction of Islamic laws, although some implications may relate to other than jurisprudence. While Usuli scholars derive Islamic laws from Qur'an, Sunna, intellect and ijma', Akhbaris only accept Qur'an and Sunna as source for Islamic law. Some more radical Akhbaris rely only on the Sunna as per their saying that "the Qur'an should be interpreted exclusively through the Sunna of the Prophet and Ahl al-Bayt".

Practically, Akhbaris cannot overlook some sort of reasoning and Usulis do not discard the transmitted reports. Overall Usuli methodology is more strict on scrutinizing and authenticating the ahadith.

Some prominent Akhbari scholars were Mulla Amin Astarabadi, Mulla Muhammad Tahir Qummi  and Seyyed Hashim al-Bahrani.

With prayers for your success.

https://www.al-islam.org/ask/what-is-the-difference-between-the-usooli-and-akhbari-approach-in-shia-islam-who-were-some-of-the-prominent-akhbari-scholars

https://www.al-islam.org/ask/is-it-correct-to-say-that-there-are-two-broad-groups-within-twelver-shia-the-usuli-akhbari-and-shaykhi-being-the-orthodox-group-and-the-other-group-being-the-alawi-alevi-and-nimatullahi-if-so-which-one-or-ones-are-correct-and-by-what-criteria

Usuli Vs. Akhbari Views On Hadith - Shariah: Path Of Salvation 4/7

In this weekly lecture series, Hujjatul Islam Maulana Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi discusses various aspects and topics related to the Islamic Shariah, including Ijtihad, Taqleed, Ehtiyat, Marjaiyyat, and Wilayat al-Faqih.

https://www.al-islam.org/media/usuli-vs-akhbari-views-hadith-shariah-path-salvation-47

Akhbari

https://www.al-islam.org/tags/akhbari

Akhbarism

The Akhbaris (Arabic: اخباري‎) are Twelver Shia Muslims who reject the use of reasoning in deriving verdicts, and believe Quran and Hadith.The term Akhbari (from khabara, news or report) is usually used in contrast to Usuli (from Uṣūl al-fiqh, principles of Islamic jurisprudence). Unlike Usulis, Akhbaris do not follow or do Taqleed of a Mujtahid the marja‘s (models for imitation) who practice modern form of ijtihad (independent legal reasoning) consequently they do not accept Usul al-fiqh.

https://www.al-islam.org/tags/akhbarism

• Advanced Member

I appreciate this post. Although I am an Usooli, I am interested to learn more about Akhbari to understand the Safavid dynasty better. My understanding is that the Akhbari school arose in the mid 16th century and was the school with greater political power for about 150 years, after which the Usooli school has been dominant. Are any of the current marja from the Akhbari school?

• Forum Administrators
8 minutes ago, Azadeh307 said:

Are any of the current marja from the Akhbari school?

Salam. Akhbaris don't believe in taqleed, so they don't follow a marja.

According to the link posted by Brother Ashvazdanghe above, after Shaykh Yusuf al-Bahrani (died in 1772), who was himself a moderate Akhbari, there were no major and outstanding Akhbari scholars left in the Islamic world. 

18 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as salam 

If you are interested enough to read about the subject then there are two academic works by Robert Gleave (Scripturalist Islam and Inevitable Doubt) that cover the topic at a level which probably hasn't been covered by anyone else in the English language. 

In practical terms, the Akhbari school hardly exists anymore. Some people have borrowed the Akhbari label, but have very little to do with the original Akhbariyya and their methodology. The Usooli methodology is therefore essentially a default/standard today. 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Abu_Zahra said:

Wa alaikum as salam 

If you are interested enough to read about the subject then there are two academic works by Robert Gleave (Scripturalist Islam and Inevitable Doubt) that cover the topic at a level which probably hasn't been covered by anyone else in the English language. 

In practical terms, the Akhbari school hardly exists anymore. Some people have borrowed the Akhbari label, but have very little to do with the original Akhbariyya and their methodology. The Usooli methodology is therefore essentially a default/standard today. 

The classical Akhbariyyah like Yusuf al-Bahraini (rh) and Hurr al-Amili (rh) would do takfeer of those who call themselves 'Akhbari' today, had they lived to see our times.