In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have an interesting question, and I don't know if there's a definite answer, but wanted to throw it out to the ShiaChat community to see what everyone else thinks.

So, I grew up listening to rap and hip hop in the 80s and 90s. Not just these genres, most musical genres, but my passion was rap and hip hop. I used to listen to a lot of music. I used to write rhymes. It was a lifestyle.

I live in the West and a lot of people in my community listen to music. Probably the majority. Almost every one of my friends listens to music. Even the quote on quote religious ones. I gave up music years ago and don't regret it. But I do relapse every now and again, though ever so brief. Might just be a few songs, or it might be a week before I pull myself back and straighten myself out.

At one point I got myself into "halal rap." If you know, you know. It's all over YouTube. I thought this was the perfect alternative and was enjoying myself for a little while with this. Then I reached a point where I thought to myself, what's the difference between the music I used to listen to, and this halal rap? Sure, the words are more focused on religion. But many of them had instruments behind the lyrics, and I decided that there really isn't much of a difference. If I viewed music as haram, then what I was listening to was also haram. At least it was for me.

I'm guessing many others out there had the same sentiments because then came along halal rap with vocals only. With this form the artist uses only their voice to mimic musical instruments. My stint with this was short lived. I soon decided that this new 'vocals only' wasn't so holy, it was a loophole and completely phony. What's the difference between instruments and voices mimicking instruments? I really don't see a difference. Especially when you have these artists doing covers of haram songs with voices only and changing the lyrics. What a joke. Music is truly a test. Everyone's trying to find a way to make it okay.

I talk to people and all I hear is, bro drums are halal, bro vocal only is okay, bro the lyrics are about Allah azwj and Islam, bro they don't play these at parties, bro it's not for entertainment it's like Islamic poetry, bro it's all about the deen... Bro, bro, bro. Stop it already. I'm honestly sick of it.

And before someone says, bro just listen to Qur'an, let me say that I do listen to Qur'an, du'a, majalis, Islamic poetry, audiobooks, etc. However there are times when I just find myself gravitating towards some form of.. something. I don't even know the words to use. At this point in my life my alternative to music is Islamic spoken word. And even then, some of the stuff out there makes me wonder.

But, I digress. And with this long lead up, here is my question: What do you all think of all this halal rap out there?

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, hawdini said:

I like halal rap haha its kinda like spoken word to me, but i listen to music so i need to stop that too. When i was younger i stopped listening to it for a few years and must admit it was peaceful.

I feel like the early days halal rap was a good transition for me as I was somewhat of a lyricist in my day. But I also feel like it's gotten out of control. i.e. Deen Squad, Omar Esa, and others like them. What's the difference between these cover songs and the actual song? You can still jam to these "halal" cover songs and really most of the stuff out there. They probably wouldn't release their tracks if you couldn't. Defeats the purpose if you ask me. It's kind of sad as some tracks out there have amazing lyrics but (for me) the music aspect ruins it. 

NGL it was difficult to stop listening to music but like any habit it got easier and it's definitely a choice that I'm happy with. I have lot more mental clarity and headspace as well now that I don't have music in my head all the time. Gives me the time to listen to Qur'an, majalis, podcasts and audiobooks. I've learnt a lot by listening to things in the time that in a previous life would've been spent listening to music.

Music has most definitely been a big test in my life. 

Allahu A'lam

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, humble-servant said:

I feel like the early days halal rap was a good transition for me as I was somewhat of a lyricist in my day. But I also feel like it's gotten out of control. i.e. Deen Squad, Omar Esa, and others like them. What's the difference between these cover songs and the actual song? You can still jam to these "halal" cover songs and really most of the stuff out there. They probably wouldn't release their tracks if you couldn't. Defeats the purpose if you ask me. It's kind of sad as some tracks out there have amazing lyrics but (for me) the music aspect ruins it. 

NGL it was difficult to stop listening to music but like any habit it got easier and it's definitely a choice that I'm happy with. I have lot more mental clarity and headspace as well now that I don't have music in my head all the time. Gives me the time to listen to Qur'an, majalis, podcasts and audiobooks. I've learnt a lot by listening to things in the time that in a previous life would've been spent listening to music.

Music has most definitely been a big test in my life. 

Allahu A'lam

My marjaa' is Sayyid Fadlallah(رضي الله عنه) and he has a very interesting fatwa about music that is different from most other marjaa. He, like other marjaa, say that there are some categories of music which are haram completely. You mentioned some of them. Music that mocks God or religion, music that promotes haram behaviour (which most mainstream rap music does), music that is used primarily for haram entertainment purposes, such as dance music (EDM, Disco, etc).

If the music doesn't fall into one of those categories, then he says to consider for yourself whether this music pushes you toward haram and away from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), then it is clearly haram for you, whether this pushes you away from haram and toward Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), in which case it is clearly halal, or whether it neither pushes you toward haram or pushes you away from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), in which case it is mubah (you can listen or not listen). 

Music has a specific and different effect on each individual who listens to it and this depends on your background and exposure to this type of music in the past and your emotional connections to it. As an example, almost all marjaa say that classical music is halal. At the same time I knew a revert sisters who used to be a ballerina before she became muslim and when she listened to classical music it took her back to her former life where she was doing haram things and it made her 'miss' that lifestyle. So for her, that music is clearly haram since it takes her away from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). When I listen to classical music it just makes me calm or sleepy (lol). 

If you want to know if a certain type of music takes you away from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) or toward, here is a simple test. Listen to a song from that type of music then immediately after the song pray a two rakat prayer, mustahab. See how you feel during that Salat. Can you concentrate ? Can you focus on the prayer ? Are you connecting with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) during this Salat ? If you are, then the music is probably o.k. but if you are not it's probably not ok. Salam. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member
On 6/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, humble-servant said:

here is my question: What do you all think of all this halal rap out there?

Salam generally any genre of music & song including  rap which causes distraction of people from divine path will be  Haram ; which recognizing it based on Urf & recognition of it by any person by himself/herself .

According to Ayatollah Khamenei:

Question: Is it haram to listen to a rap song that is sung about Iran and martyrs?

Answer: Any music that according to the custom of Lahvi music (مضل عن سبیل الله distractor from way of Allah) is  suitable for [sinful] entertainment   and drinking gatherings, it is considered haram music and it doesn't matter if it is classical music or non-classical music.

Recognizing the issue is deferment to  mandated person according to conventional wisdom, and if the music is not like this, there is no problem by itself.

مضل عن سبیل الله

That is, due to its characteristics, it can lead a person away from the Almighty Allah and spirituality and moral virtues, and lead them towards indiscipline, futility and sin.

look! If music leads a person to idleness, vulgarity, lethargy and disillusionment with the realities of life and the like, this music is not halal music; Music is forbidden. If music makes a person forget spirituality, Allah and remembrance, then this music is haram. If music encourages a person to commit sin and lust, this music is forbidden; This is the opinion of Islam. If music does not have these harmful and sacred qualities, then of course it is not haram.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:40 PM, humble-servant said:

I'm guessing many others out there had the same sentiments because then came along halal rap with vocals only. With this form the artist uses only their voice to mimic musical instruments. My stint with this was short lived. I soon decided that this new 'vocals only' wasn't so holy, it was a loophole and completely phony. What's the difference between instruments and voices mimicking instruments? I really don't see a difference. Especially when you have these artists doing covers of haram songs with voices only and changing the lyrics. What a joke. Music is truly a test. Everyone's trying to find a way to make it okay.

What I said, some of them are in wordless music and instruments; Some are even in words; That is, they may perform a harmless simple music; But the poetry that is sung in this music will  be misleading poetry ; The poem that is an encouragement to unrestrainedness, promiscuity, lasciviousness, neglect and such things; Then it becomes haram.

According to grand Ayatollah Sistani

If music is not suitable for Lahvi (sinful entertainment) & drinking gatherings so then it's not Haram.

Hazrat Ayatollah Sistani: "It is not haram if the music is not suitable for parties and revelry."

https://rashedoon.ir/6659/حکم-گوش-دادن-به-موسیقی-از-نظر-مراجع-تقلی/

https://www.leader.ir/fa/content/22615

https://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/fa1381

https://hawzah.net/fa/Magazine/View/4892/6909/83279/از_سنتی_گرفته_تا_رپ_امروزی!

https://hadana.ir/حکم-گوش-دادن-به-آهنگ-های-رپ-چیست/

https://www.pasokhgoo.ir/node/20000

https://www.yjc.ir/fa/news/6783377/گوش-دادن-به-آهنگ-رپ-چه-حکمی-دارد#:~:text=سؤال%3A آیا گوش دادن آهنگ,بیهودگی و گناه سوق دهد.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Switch to classical music or movie themes.

Any music that according to the custom of Lahvi music (مضل عن سبیل الله distractor from way of Allah) is  suitable for [sinful] entertainment   and drinking gatherings, it is considered haram music and it doesn't matter if it is classical music or non-classical music.