In the Name of God بسم الله

Tahajjud (40 Believers)

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamu Alaykum

I would like to ask regarding to a Tahajjud, night prayer.
I converted to Islam and wondering how to perform Tahajjud with 40 names of Believers. I only know few, like 20. Can I still mention them even I don’t reach 40 names? 

Can I also mention my 2 young kids who are below 2 years old and also my 7 y/o son who is just starting to know about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

I can’t mention my Mum, Dad, brother and his family because they are Christian, can I?

Thank you so much to you all!

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you all.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Layla23 said:

Assalamu Alaykum

I would like to ask regarding to a Tahajjud, night prayer.
I converted to Islam and wondering how to perform Tahajjud with 40 names of Believers. I only know few, like 20. Can I still mention them even I don’t reach 40 names? 

Can I also mention my 2 young kids who are below 2 years old and also my 7 y/o son who is just starting to know about Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

I can’t mention my Mum, Dad, brother and his family because they are Christian, can I?

Thank you so much to you all!

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you all.

Wa alaikis salam, 

I'd advice you to ask a scholar about that. Email the question to english@najaf.org. The response from here is really quick, usually within a day. 

If you struggle to come up with the names of forty believers, you can draw up a list including our scholars, both past and contemporary ones, as they are the most deserving of our prayers. 

As for your parents, we have narrations that say that even if you were to invoke mercy on them, your prayers won't benefit them. Their forgiveness is a matter best left to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you too. 

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Veteran Member

:salam:

You can only say 'Allahumma ghfir lil mu'minin wal mu'minat wal muslimin wal muslimat, al aĥiya'in minhum wal amwat, attabi` baynana wa baynahum bil khairat, innaka `ala kulli shay'in Qadir'

Particularly the part in bold.

اللهم اغفر للمؤمنين والمؤمنات والمسلمين والمسلمات الأحياء منهم والأموات، تابع اللهم بيننا وبينهم بالخيرات إنك على كل شئ قدير

• Basic Members
On 6/13/2024 at 8:42 PM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Wa alaikis salam, 

I'd advice you to ask a scholar about that. Email the question to english@najaf.org. The response from here is really quick, usually within a day. 

If you struggle to come up with the names of forty believers, you can draw up a list including our scholars, both past and contemporary ones, as they are the most deserving of our prayers. 

As for your parents, we have narrations that say that even if you were to invoke mercy on them, your prayers won't benefit them. Their forgiveness is a matter best left to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you too. 

Thank you so much.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 7:42 AM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Salam in opposition to your claim , we have many narrations about recommendation for invoking merci on them ; because it will be very beneficial for them  although forgivness of all of us left yo Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  

Muammar Ibn Khallad asked Imam Riďa ((عليه السلام).) whether one is allowed to pray for one’s parents if they had not followed the truth and had not been Shia.

Imam Riďa ((عليه السلام).) replied,

“If they are dead, pray for them and give Sadaqah on their behalf. If they are alive keep them happy.”

Hazrat Imam Muhammad al-Baqir ((عليه السلام).) said;

“Allah has not given superiority to a Mu’min in three circumstances.

First, to return what has been entrusted to you for safe keeping whether it belongs to a Mu’min or a Kafir.

Second, fulfilling an oath, whether given to a Mu’min or a Kafir. Third, doing good to the parents, whether they be Mu’min or Kafir.”15

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said,

“Allah will not accept the Salāt of the person who stares angrily at his parents. Even though they (parents) may be unjust.”

The last of the Prophets (S) says:

“There are Three kinds of sins which are punished in this world, rather than being given respite till Qiyāma. The first is Āq al-Walidayn. The second, injustice upon men and third, thanklessness for favour.”

The wretchedness of the Āq al-Walidayn is sufficiently evident from the fact that the trustworthy Jibrīl ((عليه السلام).) has cursed him and said,

“One who is blessed with parents but does not fulfill their (his parent’s) rights will not be forgiven (his sins) by Allah.”3

When Jibrīl ((عليه السلام).) said this, the Holy Prophet (S) uttered, ‘Amen’! Hazrat Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said,

“Accursed, Accursed is the one who beats his parents. Accursed is the one who distresses his parents.4
Prayer is Not Accepted

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) said,

“Allah will not accept the Salāt of the person who stares angrily at his parents. Even though they (parents) may be unjust.”

“Benevolence to parents is Wajib even if both of them are ‘Mushrik’. However obedience to parents is not Wajib if their order is against the orders of the Creator.”16
Advice of Imam as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) to Zakaria Ibn Ibrahīm

Zakaria, the son of Ibrahīm, was a Christian. Later he converted to Islam and had the honour of meeting Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).). He told Imam ((عليه السلام).) “My mother is a Christian and she is old and blind.” The Imam advised him,

“Serve your mother and behave kindly towards her. Upon her death, do not leave her dead body to others. Perform her funeral rites yourself.”

Thus this statement of the Imam ((عليه السلام).) is pregnant [edit: abundant] with two prophecies. Her death, and her conversion to Islam.

When Zakaria returned to Kufa he began to behave very kindly with his mother. He fed her with his own hands. Changed her clothes, washed and bathed her too. In short, he served his mother in every possible way. His mother asked, “My son you were not so dutiful when you were a Christian. Why is it that now you serve me day and night?”

Zakaria replied, “O my mother. I have a master who is the son of the Prophet of Allah (S). He advised me to serve you in this way.” The mother asked, “Is he a prophet?” “No. But he is a son of the Prophet (S).” “Such a person must be a Prophet because only prophets teach such manners.” The mother remarked.

Zakaria explained to his mother, “The chain of the Prophets came to an end with the Prophet of Islam (S). He was the seal of the Prophets. The one who has guided me is the son of the Prophet (S).” The mother said, “My son, the religion of Islam that you have embraced is better than all the religions. Teach me, so that I too may become a Muslim.”

So, Zakaria made her recite the ‘Kalima’ and taught her the true beliefs. Later, this lady performed the Zohrain and the Maghrebain prayers. The same night death approached her. She told her son: “Dear son, repeat to me again whatever you have taught me.” Zakaria began to recite while she listened carefully and in this way she passed away.

https://shiastudies.com/en/4851/sixth-greater-sin-aq-al-walidayn-disobedience-to-parents/

Question 516: Can I as a Shia Muslim pray for my dead parent who is a non-Muslim? They were Ahl al-Kitab. If so, can you provide sources and scholarly opinions? Thank you.

Answer 516: We have already sent a similar question to the office of grand maraja’, whether it is permissible to solace to non-Muslims who have passed away and send salawat, recite surah al-Fatiha and pray for them?

Our maraja’ have different opinions about it. Some say, it is permissible if they have not fought Muslims on the account of Religion and have not driven us out of our Homeland. Others say, it is permissible to solace, though asking Allah, the Almighty for His forgiveness and pray for them is not permissible.

Ayatollah Khameneni: There is no problem in it per se if they have not fought Muslims on the account of Religion.

Ayatollah Sistani: It is impermissible to ask Allah, the Almighty for their forgiveness and pray for them.

https://askislam.ir/en/praying-non-muslim-parents/

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235022548-praying-for-dead-infidel-parents/

Edited by Hameedeh
[edit: abundant]

• Advanced Member
On 6/13/2024 at 1:00 AM, Layla23 said:

Salam you can mention all of them in your prayers even you can mention your neighbors & colleagues & anyone who you like ; which praying for your parents even if they are not Muslims has been highly recommended . 

Muammar Ibn Khallad asked Imam Riďa ((عليه السلام).) whether one is allowed to pray for one’s parents if they had not followed the truth and had not been Shia.

Imam Riďa ((عليه السلام).) replied,

“If they are dead, pray for them and give Sadaqah on their behalf. If they are alive keep them happy.”

The Holy Prophet (S) says;

“A-llah the Most High has sent me as the Mercy for the worlds, except to the ‘Āq’ (of parents).”

Jabir Ibn Abdullah ((رضي الله عنه).) reports that someone asked Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).), “My parents are against the truth, i.e. they are not the Shia of Ahl ul-Bayt ((عليه السلام).)”. Imam replied:

“Be good towards them like you would be towards out Shias.”14

The Holy Prophet (S)

Be Good to Parents Even if They Are Kafirs

Whether the parents are believers and pious or Kafirs and sinful, goodness towards them is Wajib.

The Holy Prophet (S) described the eminence of a mother’s position in the following statement:

1) “If you are praying a mustahab prayer and your father calls you, do not break your prayer but if your mother calls, break the prayer.”

Truly, this assigns a remarkably high status to a mother. The Prophet (S) states,

“Paradise is at the feet of your mother.”

Hence one need not go far in search of Paradise.
Be Good to Parents Even if They Are Kafirs

Whether the parents are believers and pious or Kafirs and sinful, goodness towards them is Wajib. And ‘Āq al-Walidayn’ is Harām.

https://shiastudies.com/en/4851/sixth-greater-sin-aq-al-walidayn-disobedience-to-parents/