In the Name of God بسم الله

A lonely new Shia Muslim

Rate this topic

Guest Haider

Walikumsalam brother,

Welcome brother Hadi. Peace, love and light to you. I don't usually visit shiachat as often, but i'm surprised to come across your messages at a time when I am reading so much about slavic history. 

Well, I can imagine being in your position as I live amongst a predominantly sunni community here in Britain, but I tend to overcome the faith barrier by agreeing to disagree and emphasising on aspects of the Islamic faith we agree alot upon. History is history, but it doesn't change the fact that as muslims we all strive to be super human beings, that are able to tolerate any form of negativity and still come out stronger, inshAllah.

I often engage with my shia brethren online and often make the odd long distance visit to shia events every now and then, but I engage with my faith in study and strengthen my faith in everyday actions. We're on a short journey here, if we don't get to be amongst our people of faith, then it's not a big issue tbh.

Anyway, you are always welcome to get in touch with my. 00447 47 8727404. Call me whenever you want brother, and who know my interest of your region might turn me into your guest shortly. InshAllah.

• Advanced Member

If only we had the chatroom still working. That's how I gained some company when I became a Shi'a. 

Is it possible for you to move to a different country? If not, look for new reverts groups on Facebook or follow such YouTubers/Instagramers. You'll find some people from there. 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Hadi bin Hurr said:

I am a Serb from Serbia who embraced Shia Islam two years ago. I would say that I am the only Shia Serb, not only in my country but also on the planet.

Wa alaikum as salam brother, no there are Shia in the Balkan countries. You can search for Fondacioni Gnosa. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam 

23 hours ago, Hadi bin Hurr said:

I am a Serb from Serbia who embraced Shia Islam two years ago. I would say that I am the only Shia Serb, not only in my country but also on the planet.

Salam & welcome to Shia Islam & here Shiachat :cuddle: however you are not alone here anyway according to some reports percentage of Shiites in relation to the country's population in 2008 has been 3% & 15% in 2009 which so therefore finding  Shias in Serbia will be hard but not impossible ; which it seems that  there is a Shia center ib Belgrade although it's unknown whether that is active or not ; also it's possible that some   Serbian shias  have been mistaken as Bosnian muslims (Bosniaks) because of stronger relationship of Iran with Bosnia and Herzegovina which it's more possible that you can find some shias between Bosnians more than Serbians although we welcome anyone from Balkan region whether Bosnians (Bosniaks) :cuddle:or Serbians :cuddle:or Croats:cuddle:   which this separation between them is a too sad story ; which accepting Shia islam by anyone from Balkan region specially Serbs likewise you is very good. :cuddle:

I hope so that below informations will be helpful for you 

Qom center of religious sciences

Original name  Centar za religijske nauke Kom
Country Serbia
City Belgrade
Phone ++381 113616113
Fax  
Address Resavska 76/II, Beograd, Srbija, 11000 serbia
Website centarkom.rs
Email kontakt@centarkom.rs
Principal  
Activities

https://wocoshiac.org/en/shia-centers-en/europe-en/serbia-en

Serbia Shia Ramadan Calendar 2024, Serbia Fiqa Jafria Sehr o Iftar Timings

Find Shia Ahle Tashi Sehri and Iftar timings of Serbia. Select the city from the list of Serbia cities below to find the Shia Sehri time and Iftar Fasting time of Serbia in Holy month of Ramadan

https://www.urdupoint.com/islam/shia/serbia-ramadan-calendar-sehar-aftar-timings.html

Serbia’s Muslims fear new ethnic violence

The latest quake to hit the troubled region was on 1 September, when Montenegro’s small Muslim community was targetted by ethnic and religious attacks following the elections on 30 August. Vandals smashed the windows of the local office of the Islamic community in Pljevlja, while graffiti that praised the 1995 Srebrenica massacre appeared on walls of the city and surrounding towns.

“This is really frightening,” said Mevlud Dudic, president of the Islamic Community in Serbia.

Bosnia’s Muslims – known as Bosniaks –Tuesday September 22، 2020

https://india.shafaqna.com/EN/serbias-muslims-fear-new-ethnic-violence/

1- Statistics of the "Ahlulbayt ((عليه السلام)) World Assembly "of Shiites in Serbia - 2008  

Region: Continental Europe - Eastern
Country population: 10,700,000
Shiite population: 304,600
Approximate percentage of Shiites in relation to the country's population: 3%

2-Statistics of the Association of Religion and Social Life " Pew Research Center "  of  Shiites in Serbia - 2009

Country population: more than 10.000.000
Muslim population: 244,000
Shiite population: less than 36,600
Percentage of Shiites in relation to the Muslim population of the country: less than 15%

https://www.ahl-ul-bayt.ir/en/world-shiite-population/item/statistics-of-shiites-in-algeria-11

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Bosnia-and-Herzegovina/shia/

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

some reports percentage of Shiites in relation to the country's population in 2008 has been 3% & 15% in 2009

:salam:

Brother no way this is even close to a 15 year old census in Serbia.

I visited Serbia from north to south in 2016 and from my memory Muslims are very few except in the South, so let's not even talk about shias.

@Hadi bin Hurr, I understand your loneliness and indeed you may not find easily a community. From what I sense, the community you should reach to would be your wife and daughters, may Allah protect them. Maybe try to teach them about core Islamic values and how to pray and ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

As for your wider family, I don’t know how ' sectarian' they are - in the sense of a deep attachment to religion : do they expect to to go to church regulary and attend other rituals that you may find conflicting with your current belief ?

You mentioned a sunni man in town. Do you trust him ? Do you think you could have him a a friend with whom you would pray, read du`a from time to time ? Like you invite him for dinner and you pray together ? 

Do you know about Sheikh Imran Hosein ? His ideas focus on fraternity with Orthodox Christianity and had several conferences in Serbia.

Also, I suggest not to make distinctions between sunni and shia at this point and try to grow links with regular Muslims. Stay away from wahabis though. There path, unfortunately, does not lead to peace and only seeks dispute.

Finally if some day you plan to come visit the UK, France or Germany or any country represented here, feel free to send a private message to one of the members here and I am sure we will be glad to take you to our points of interest.

Edited by realizm

• Basic Members
19 hours ago, Guest Haider said:

Walikumsalam brother,

Welcome brother Hadi. Peace, love and light to you. I don't usually visit shiachat as often, but i'm surprised to come across your messages at a time when I am reading so much about slavic history. 

Well, I can imagine being in your position as I live amongst a predominantly sunni community here in Britain, but I tend to overcome the faith barrier by agreeing to disagree and emphasising on aspects of the Islamic faith we agree alot upon. History is history, but it doesn't change the fact that as muslims we all strive to be super human beings, that are able to tolerate any form of negativity and still come out stronger, inshAllah.

I often engage with my shia brethren online and often make the odd long distance visit to shia events every now and then, but I engage with my faith in study and strengthen my faith in everyday actions. We're on a short journey here, if we don't get to be amongst our people of faith, then it's not a big issue tbh.

Anyway, you are always welcome to get in touch with my. 00447 47 8727404. Call me whenever you want brother, and who know my interest of your region might turn me into your guest shortly. InshAllah.

Thanks, akhi! Do you use WhatsApp? If I find you use it, I will contact you that way.

• Basic Members
21 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

Salam brother, 

My guess is that u are not going to find a community where u are. Better to move to a larger, more diverse city where u have a better chance of finding a  community. 

Unfortunately, I can't just move to a bigger city, and it wouldn't help me much either. There are simply no Shia Muslims in Serbia, and if I go to the south of my country, yes, there are cities where Sunni Muslims are the majority, but I'm not sure if they would welcome me with enthusiasm or maybe pressure me to convert to Sunni Islam. The best would be to move to Iran or Oman, but in that case, my family would also have to convert. Are there any other good countries for new Shia Muslims? I know there are many Shias in Lebanon, of course, but how would the others welcome someone like me? Finally, I do not speak Arabic (except as much as I need for prayers) or Farsi at the moment. Issue. I know...

• Basic Members
17 hours ago, Shian e Ali said:

If only we had the chatroom still working. That's how I gained some company when I became a Shi'a. 

Is it possible for you to move to a different country? If not, look for new reverts groups on Facebook or follow such YouTubers/Instagramers. You'll find some people from there. 

Alhamdulillah, I am getting friends already!

• Basic Members
18 hours ago, Shian e Ali said:

With good connections, I guess I could find a job in a Muslim country. The question is: which Muslim countries besides Iran are good for Shias?

• Basic Members

Bosnia is not so close to me. In my city, Hungarian Catholics are the majority and there are almost no Muslims here. There is a Sunni mosque here, but I don't know if they would accept a Shia Muslim. I will be more than happy to find friends here and possibly a job in some Shia-friendly Muslim country. Or I will plan to move to Iran, step by step.

• Basic Members
6 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam 

Salam & welcome to Shia Islam & here Shiachat :cuddle: however you are not alone here anyway according to some reports percentage of Shiites in relation to the country's population in 2008 has been 3% & 15% in 2009 which so therefore finding  Shias in Serbia will be hard but not impossible ; which it seems that  there is a Shia center ib Belgrade although it's unknown whether that is active or not ; also it's possible that some   Serbian shias  have been mistaken as Bosnian muslims (Bosniaks) because of stronger relationship of Iran with Bosnia and Herzegovina which it's more possible that you can find some shias between Bosnians more than Serbians although we welcome anyone from Balkan region whether Bosnians (Bosniaks) :cuddle:or Serbians :cuddle:or Croats:cuddle:   which this separation between them is a too sad story ; which accepting Shia islam by anyone from Balkan region specially Serbs likewise you is very good. :cuddle:

I hope so that below informations will be helpful for you 

Qom center of religious sciences

Original name  Centar za religijske nauke Kom
Country Serbia
City Belgrade
Phone ++381 113616113
Fax  
Address Resavska 76/II, Beograd, Srbija, 11000 serbia
Website centarkom.rs
Email kontakt@centarkom.rs
Principal  
Activities

https://wocoshiac.org/en/shia-centers-en/europe-en/serbia-en

Serbia Shia Ramadan Calendar 2024, Serbia Fiqa Jafria Sehr o Iftar Timings

Find Shia Ahle Tashi Sehri and Iftar timings of Serbia. Select the city from the list of Serbia cities below to find the Shia Sehri time and Iftar Fasting time of Serbia in Holy month of Ramadan

https://www.urdupoint.com/islam/shia/serbia-ramadan-calendar-sehar-aftar-timings.html

Serbia’s Muslims fear new ethnic violence

Bosnia’s Muslims – known as Bosniaks –Tuesday September 22، 2020

https://india.shafaqna.com/EN/serbias-muslims-fear-new-ethnic-violence/

https://www.ahl-ul-bayt.ir/en/world-shiite-population/item/statistics-of-shiites-in-algeria-11

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Bosnia-and-Herzegovina/shia/

Thank you, brother. I will check. 

I wish there were 15% of Shias in Serbia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Serbia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Serbia

But, this might be interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serb_Muslims

• Basic Members
4 hours ago, realizm said:

Brother no way this is even close to a 15 year old census in Serbia.

I visited Serbia from north to south in 2016 and from my memory Muslims are very few except in the South, so let's not even talk about shias.

@Hadi bin Hurr, I understand your loneliness and indeed you may not find easily a community. From what I sense, the community you should reach to would be your wife and daughters, may Allah protect them. Maybe try to teach them about core Islamic values and how to pray and ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

As for your wider family, I don’t know how ' sectarian' they are - in the sense of a deep attachment to religion : do they expect to to go to church regulary and attend other rituals that you may find conflicting with your current belief ?

You mentioned a sunni man in town. Do you trust him ? Do you think you could have him a a friend with whom you would pray, read du`a from time to time ? Like you invite him for dinner and you pray together ? 

Do you know about Sheikh Imran Hosein ? His ideas focus on fraternity with Orthodox Christianity and had several conferences in Serbia.

Also, I suggest not to make distinctions between sunni and shia at this point and try to grow links with regular Muslims. Stay away from wahabis though. There path, unfortunately, does not lead to peace and only seeks dispute.

Finally if some day you plan to come visit the UK, France or Germany or any country represented here, feel free to send a private message to one of the members here and I am sure we will be glad to take you to our points of interest.

Well, we celebrated Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha twice each.  My older daughter, I feel, will find her way to Islam because she is already learning Arabic and wants to study it at the University. Perhaps also my younger daughter. No, they don't go to church. My wife might formally embrace Islam because of me, she believes in the Creator, but I doubt she will ever pray salah, fast, or read the Koran.

That Sunni man is my hairdresser and I confessed to him about my reversion to Shia Islam but he is simply not so religious but a Muslim in a cultural sense like many in Serbia. But, yes, I plan to call him and his wife for a dinner or something. 

Yes, I read before about Sheikh Imran Hosein and I also believe that a good Muslim and a good Orthodox Christian are like two brothers. The beliefs are different but they have many things in common. 

In my city, there are migrants who in some cases are affiliated with ISIS and there is strong evidence for that but the Police don't prosecute them or anything. There were even often gunfights in suburban areas and last summer even in the city center between Afghans and Moroccans - two gangs that are in the business of smuggling people together with some dirty Serbian and Hungarian cops. 

I am interested in Muslim countries good for Shias. With all due respect, I would not go to any Western countries cause I hate their guts - not the Muslims of course, but the natives. It's not good and it's not Muslim but we suffered a lot here because of them so I think I would never overcome that mistrust. Thank you for your offer, brother.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 4:36 PM, Hadi bin Hurr said:

Well, we celebrated Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha twice each.  My older daughter, I feel, will find her way to Islam because she is already learning Arabic and wants to study it at the University. Perhaps also my younger daughter. No, they don't go to church. My wife might formally embrace Islam because of me, she believes in the Creator, but I doubt she will ever pray salah, fast, or read the Koran.

InshaAllah things will turn for the better for you and your family and you all remain close to one another and to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

On 4/25/2024 at 4:36 PM, Hadi bin Hurr said:

I would not go to any Western countries cause I hate their guts - not the Muslims of course, but the natives. It's not good and it's not Muslim but we suffered a lot here because of them so I think I would never overcome that mistrust. Thank you for your offer, brother.

I feel you. But you know, the natives are not all NATO lovers. Many are totally against it. We’re not all Bernard-Henri Levys :D 

And unfortunately, shia muslim countries are quite a mess these days. Lot of geopolitical trouble, corruption, unemployment. Do not idealize them. Expect maybe for Kuwait or Oman where there is a solid economy and clean environment .

Edited by realizm

• Advanced Member
On 4/25/2024 at 6:07 AM, Hadi bin Hurr said:

The best would be to move to Iran or Oman, but in that case, my family would also have to convert. Are there any other good countries for new Shia Muslims? I know there are many Shias in Lebanon, of course, but how would the others welcome someone like me? Finally, I do not speak Arabic (except as much as I need for prayers) or Farsi at the moment. Issue. I know...

Salam , a little correction is that even in case of migration to Iran or Oman & other muslim countries except KSA , your family don't need to convert to Islam ; which Lebanon is good place for start due to having a vary diverse society with some similarities to european countries ;  which generally everyone welcomes you in majority Shia countries ; which you can found people who understand english language in Iran & Lebanon which also some Lebanese people are familiar with French  than other muslims countries which you can initiate learning Arabic & Farsi by help of them .

• Basic Members
On 4/26/2024 at 11:33 PM, realizm said:

InshaAllah things will turn for the better for you and your family and you all remain close to one another and to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

I feel you. But you know, the natives are not all NATO lovers. Many are totally against it. We’re not all Bernard-Henri Levys :D 

And unfortunately, shia muslim countries are quite a mess these days. Lot of geopolitical trouble, corruption, unemployment. Do not idealize them. Expect maybe for Kuwait or Oman where there is a solid economy and clean environment .

Thank you, akhi. So, Oman and Kuwait are not bad countries for Shia Muslims and we don't need to hide there?

• Basic Members
On 4/27/2024 at 7:33 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , a little correction is that even in case of migration to Iran or Oman & other muslim countries except KSA , your family don't need to convert to Islam ; which Lebanon is good place for start due to having a vary diverse society with some similarities to european countries ;  which generally everyone welcomes you in majority Shia countries ; which you can found people who understand english language in Iran & Lebanon which also some Lebanese people are familiar with French  than other muslims countries which you can initiate learning Arabic & Farsi by help of them .

Thank you, dear brother. I will be looking for jobs on Telegram channels.

• Moderators

Lebanon is not a good place to start for a revert who doesn't speak Arabic and isn't familiar with the culture / system. In Lebanon if you are not related to / connected to one of the main political parties you have close to zero chance of getting a decent paying job or starting a business. Most of the young men in Lebanon are trying to leave, lol. They work outside the country then come back for the summer / holidays. I wouldn't recommend Lebanon given your situation. 

I've never been to Turkey but several members of my family have and they said it might be a good place to start. I am not saying this from personal experience but from comments I have heard from others who have been there who I trust. The country , current government, seems to be tolerant toward followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) and since Turkey is a NATO member, there are some of the benefits of living in Europe while still living in a Muslims country, which is what Turkey markets itself as. You should probably go and check it out first before you bring your family. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 4/28/2024 at 6:29 PM, Abu Hadi said:

Lebanon is not a good place to start for a revert who doesn't speak Arabic and isn't familiar with the culture / system. In Lebanon if you are not related to / connected to one of the main political parties you have close to zero chance of getting a decent paying job or starting a business. Most of the young men in Lebanon are trying to leave, lol. They work outside the country then come back for the summer / holidays. I wouldn't recommend Lebanon given your situation. 

I've never been to Turkey but several members of my family have and they said it might be a good place to start. I am not saying this from personal experience but from comments I have heard from others who have been there who I trust. The country , current government, seems to be tolerant toward followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) and since Turkey is a NATO member, there are some of the benefits of living in Europe while still living in a Muslims country, which is what Turkey markets itself as. You should probably go and check it out first before you bring your family. 

Thank you for sharing this with me. I've been away for a while. I have a friend in Lebanon, but I'm not sure if she could help me - I doubt. As for Turkey, it seems that many Turks are currently coming to work in Serbia. They come strictly with their companies, and I have met some of them. If Allah so wills, some doors will open for me. My duty is to knock on many.

• Basic Members
On 4/29/2024 at 7:36 PM, EiE said:

@Hadi bin Hurr How did you find shia islam?

Deep in my heart, I had been contemplating the idea of reverting to Islam a long time ago, but I guess I was waiting for a sign or something - I prayed to Allah to arrange it if it was His will. I needed Muslim friends and I tried to connect with some people but it didn't lead to anything. Finally, a young Shia woman suddenly appeared among my contacts on VKontakte (a Russian social network similar to Facebook). We shared common political ideas so we spontaneously got in touch, but at first, I didn't know she was Muslim at all, not to mention a Shia, because the name on her profile didn't suggest anything like that. When I finally found out she was a Twelver Shia, I thought it might be the sign I'd been waiting for. But it wasn't that easy. I was very afraid of isolation in my country and even serious problems if my social environment became fully aware of my conversion. However, less than five months later, I recorded myself solemnly pronouncing the Shahada and sent the video to her and to an Iranian Shia cleric whom I had been in contact with thanks to her. So, it started...

• Advanced Member

MashaAllah such a nice story. Maybe you can have people who are like you meet that sister and the shia cleric? Maybe they can be means for the other people around you find the true path inshaAllah. Whether or not they embrace islam, at least they might get rid of their prejudices. You can always move to other countries (hijrah) but planting the seeds before doing that will be great. The hadiths tell us that in the end times, strangers will embrace islam and join the army of Imam Mahdi whereas many locals (born-raised muslims) will desert him. So, inshaAllah you will be help your countrymen find the path inshaAllah before moving out. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/28/2024 at 11:45 AM, Hadi bin Hurr said:

Thank you, akhi. So, Oman and Kuwait are not bad countries for Shia Muslims and we don't need to hide there?

They are not, they are friendly to Shias and if someone attacked you because of your faith, you have every right to complain to authorities, they will do the needful.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 8:54 AM, Hadi bin Hurr said:

With good connections, I guess I could find a job in a Muslim country. The question is: which Muslim countries besides Iran are good for Shias?

From what I have heard, and again this is not personal experience just what I have heard from others, two good places are Oman and Kuwait. 

They are both Sunni majority countries but they are very tolerant toward Shia and basically let us practice without restricting our rights. 

At the same time, I heard that they don't allow foreigners to get immigration status there unless you have a specialized skill (like doctor or certain types of engineering or jobs related to the petro chemical industry). 

Edited by Abu Hadi