In the Name of God بسم الله

Sunni recognition of Shias

Rate this topic

Guest Otto Kretschmer

Guest Otto Kretschmer

Hi/Salam from an atheist.

I know that many if not the majority of Shia Ayatollahs consider Sunnis to be Muslims. Both Ali Khamanei and Ali Al Sistani have stated this.

What's the situation the other way around? Are there any prominent Sunni scholars who consider Shias to be Muslims and not heretics/apostates?

• Basic Members
15 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Hi/Salam. In 1959, Shaikh Mahmood Shaltoot, may Allah bless his soul, the head of the Al-Azhar Theological School in Egypt, made his famous fatwa that Islam does not require a Muslim to follow a particular Madh’hab (school of thought) and the Shia Madh’hab is a school of thought that is correct. Original images in Arabic and English are at the source: 

https://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia/al-azhar-verdict-shia

Thanks for the reply.

• Advanced Member

The Shia and Unity in Islam - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf - Islam Rewards - 6 minutes 27 seconds

• Veteran Member
16 hours ago, Eddie Mecca said:

We were considered Muslims by the majority of Sunnis until 2003 Iraq War...

:salam:

I remember, as a teenager in the 90's, when Muslim people asked me if I was a Muslim myself, I would reply 'Yes I am, and a Shia Muslim'. Most of the times people did not even know what it meant. 

Until just after 2003 and the images of the first zanjeer zani at Karbala, I was sitting in the car with my two Uni mates and we had a conversation to which I replied 'Hey come on, I am Shia', to which one replied 'Oh, like those who hit themselves ?' 

For many, that was indeed the first time and the first way Shia Islam manifested openly its controversed practices.

I think the revolution of 1979 had only propelled Islam onto the public debate without sectarian characteristics. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, realizm said:

Hey come on, I am Shia', to which one replied 'Oh, like those who hit themselves ?' 

Omg, same here. When I use to say I’m Shia, some say the same thing to me

• Advanced Member

"They're like grumpy Amish" - 'What Is Wahhaism?' - Hamza Yusuf - Islam Rewards - 3 minutes 31 seconds

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Eddie Mecca said:

$200 billion (liberal figure)

Although this is the liberal financial figure, it's considered the more accurate amount according to experts in the field... according to political scientist Alex Alexiev Wahhabism is "the largest worldwide propaganda campaign ever mounted"...David A. Kaplan describes it as "dwarfing the Soviets’ propaganda efforts at the height of the Cold War"...if my memory serves me correct, I believe the Soviets spent something like $10 billion propagating communism between 1921 and 1991 (70 year span compared to the Saudi 50 year span).

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

'The Wahabi Movement' by Dr. Umar Abdullah - Maturidi333 - 5 minutes 15 seconds...Ash'aris and Maturidis don't realize it was the Wahhabis who popularized Ibn Taymiyyah in the contemporary era...you never heard the name "Ibn Taymiyyah" 50 - 60 years ago...they (Wahhabis) resurrected him from he dead (metaphorically speaking) and now no Friday Congregational Prayer session is complete unless Ibn Taymiyyah is quoted on the mimbar a minimal of 50 times during the khutbah

Edited by Eddie Mecca