Jump to content
In the Name of God بسم الله

Prophet Yusuf and Zuleikha. TRUTH vs FICTION

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

The Quran does not provide extensive details about their story, yet an Iranian series has dedicated numerous hours to their tale. This raises questions about authenticity of the iranian serie, especially when there isn't that much details in the Quran.

 

I have limited knowledge of this story but I am very skeptical about the accuracy of Prophet Yusuf marrying Zuleikha as in the Iranian series.

Zuleikha's betrayal of her husband, tantamount to cheating (from the series), raises serious doubts about the believability of a prophet engaging in such a relationship. As a role model for his community and followers, it seems highly unlikely that Prophet Yusuf would marry someone involved in such immoral behavior.

 

Now again, im not expert in this tale, but it does raise doubt nonetheless. Also remember that drama sells.

 

So what's authentic and what's not. What do we know from Quran and other Authentic sources?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, EiE said:

The Quran does not provide extensive details about their story, yet an Iranian series has dedicated numerous hours to their tale. This raises questions about authenticity of the iranian serie, especially when there isn't that much details in the Quran.

 

I have limited knowledge of this story but I am very skeptical about the accuracy of Prophet Yusuf marrying Zuleikha as in the Iranian series.

Zuleikha's betrayal of her husband, tantamount to cheating (from the series), raises serious doubts about the believability of a prophet engaging in such a relationship. As a role model for his community and followers, it seems highly unlikely that Prophet Yusuf would marry someone involved in such immoral behavior.

 

Now again, im not expert in this tale, but it does raise doubt nonetheless. Also remember that drama sells.

 

So what's authentic and what's not. What do we know from Quran and other Authentic sources?

Bro he married her decades later despite all the horrible things she did to him, she regretted everything she did. By the time he married her she was a blind widow, he needed to do a miracle by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) permission to make her young/healthy again in the series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

You have a good point OP, as far as I know, the rest of the story of Zuleikha is actually from Hadith; weak or strong, I don't know. I haven't watched the whole series either. However, people shouldn't be getting their religious history from a TV series anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 4/22/2024 at 3:23 AM, Ahmad8888 said:

Bro he married her decades later despite all the horrible things she did to him, she regretted everything she did

Yeah but why would he (عليه السلام) marry her? Did Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ordered him to marry her? 
 

On 4/22/2024 at 3:23 AM, Ahmad8888 said:

By the time he married her she was a blind widow, he needed to do a miracle by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) permission to make her young/healthy again in the series. 

He (عليه السلام) did that in reality too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 4/22/2024 at 1:39 AM, EiE said:

it seems highly unlikely that Prophet Yusuf would marry someone involved in such immoral behavior.

 

Salam your idea that Prophet Yusuf married with a pagan woman who betrayed her husband which in opposition to your idea he married with her after that she has faced punishment for her betrayal also she has passed divine trials  as becoming old & ugly  & blind  so therefore she has repented & became a monotheistic believer so then all of her past sins has been forgiven by Allah. 

16 hours ago, Diaz said:

Yeah but why would he (عليه السلام) marry her? Did Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ordered him to marry her? 
 

He (عليه السلام) did that in reality too?

 

so therefore prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام) married with her as  a chaste &  monotheistic believe woman by order of Allah  which sign of that has been returning her beauty & eyesight & becoming young again as a virgin & chaste woman so then prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام)  married with her as a chaste & virgin woman by order of Allah ; who she really has repented from her sins & became a true  monotheistic believe .

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 4/22/2024 at 2:23 AM, Ahmad8888 said:

Bro he married her decades later despite all the horrible things she did to him, she regretted everything she did. By the time he married her she was a blind widow, he needed to do a miracle by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) permission to make her young/healthy again in the series. 

Is there any source for this? Sound like fairy tale tbh.

On 4/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, hamz786 said:

You have a good point OP, as far as I know, the rest of the story of Zuleikha is actually from Hadith; weak or strong, I don't know. I haven't watched the whole series either. However, people shouldn't be getting their religious history from a TV series anyway. 

I agree

17 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

so therefore prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام) married with her as  a chaste &  monotheistic believe woman by order of Allah  which sign of that has been returning her beauty & eyesight & becoming young again as a virgin & chaste woman so then prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام)  married with her as a chaste & virgin woman by order of Allah ; who she really has repented from her sins & became a true  monotheistic believe .

What's the source? Because it sounds like fairy tale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, EiE said:

What's the source? Because it sounds like fairy tale.

 

Marriage and Children

According to the Muslim historian al-Mas'udi, Joseph (a) married in Egypt and his wife bore him two sons, Ephraim (the ancestor of Joshua son of Nun) and Menashe (Manasseh).[37]

Marriage with Zulaykha

There are some reports of Joseph’s marriage with Zulaykha after he became the chieftain of Egypt. For instance, it is said that Joseph (a) saw a woman who said, “Praise to God who made the servants rulers because of their piety, and made the rulers servants because of their transgression.” Joseph (a) asked her who she was, Zulaykha introduced herself, and then they got married.[38] According to some hadiths, Zulaykha became young with the prayer of Joseph (a) and then they got married.[39] However, some scholars have doubted the authenticity of these hadiths.[40]

According to some reports, Joseph’s two sons were from Zulaykha.[41]

 

37. Masʿūdī, Ithbāt al-waṣiya, p. 49.

 38.Quṭb al-Dīn al-Rāwandī, Qiṣaṣ al-anbiyāʾ, p. 351.

39. Jazāʾirī, al-Nūr al-mubīn fī qiṣaṣ al-anbīyāʾ wa l-mursalīn, p. 234.

40. See: Maʿārif wa digarān, Barrasī riwāyāt-i tafsīrī farīqayn dar masʾala-yi izdiwāj-i haḍrat-i Yusuf bā Zulaykhā, p. 7-32.

41.Maqdisī, al-Bidāʾ wa al-tārīkh, vol.3, p. 69. Ibn Kathīr, al-Bidāya wa al-nahāya, vol. 1, p. 210.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Joseph_(a)

https://wiki.ahlolbait.com/زلیخا

 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Is the marriage of Hazrat Yusuf (peace be upon him) with Zuleikha (and his rejuvenation after old age) a reality, and do we have evidence from the Qur'an or authentic hadiths on this issue?

 

The story of the marriage of Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام) has been told only in some sources and some narrations. For example, it is stated in a narration: When Aziz of Egypt died during the years of famine and Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام) had become the beloved and great of the country of Egypt at that time, Aziz of Egypt's wife, who was Zuleikha, was caught in poverty in such a way that He asked people for help. They said to her: It is good to take your needs to Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام) and ask him for help. Zuleikha replied: I am ashamed of him, but they insisted her so much that she finally agreed and sat on the road where the royal procession of Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام) passed. Zuleikha saw Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام), stood up and said:سبحان الذی جعل الملوک بالمعصیه عبدا و جعل العبید بالطاعه ملوکا؛. Glorious and pure is Allah who makes kings because of sin and disobedience,[into] servants and servants become kings because of obedeying and obedience. Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام) said to her: Are you the same woman (Zuleikha)? She said: Yes. Hazrat said: Are you still interested in me? Zuleikha said: Are you making fun of me? I am old and senile, leave me alone. Hazrat (عليه السلام) said: My question is from truth and correctness, not from mockery. Zuleikha replied: Yes, I still have your love and affection in my heart. Hazrat ((عليه السلام).) ordered to take her to the royal house and palace, then asked her: "Was it not you who treated me with those ugly behaviors and put me in trouble and prison?" Zuleikha replied: O Prophet of Allah! Don't blame me, because I got into something that no one else got. Hazrat Yusuf ((عليه السلام).) asked: What was that trouble and calamity? Zuleikha said: I was captivated by your love, who is unique in beauty, and I myself was more beautiful than all Egyptian women and richer than all. That beauty and wealth were taken away from me and I ended up with a weak husband. Hazrat (عليه السلام) asked: What do you want? He said: Ask Allah to give me back my youth. Hazrat ((عليه السلام).) asked Allah and Allah brought youngness  to Zuleikha and Hazrat married with her. (1)

(1).Tafsir Noor al-Thaqalayn , v2 , p471 ,h 218 & hadith 217 & 219 ; Bihar al-Anwar ,v12 , p 1-25

 

Also, in the Tafsir of Majama' al-Bayan, the late Tabarsi, this hadith is mentioned with this theme, but his majesty  does not has a statement about it. It is also mentioned in some other sources that: When Aziz Misr passed away, Yusuf sat in his place. And Zuleikha was caught in poverty day by day, to the point where she was begging people. After that, by Allah's command, Yusuf married Zuleikha, and they lived together for thirty-seven years and had children. (2)

(2).Bihar al-Anwar v 12 , p 282 ; Safinat al-bihar  Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi , V 1 , P 554 ; & p 278

 

In any case, assuming the authenticity of this hadith and this story, there is no content that is against and incompatible with the general principles and rules of the Qur'an and the Sunnah in this hadith and this case. Perhaps, after that helplessness and falling from the throne of honor to the soil of humiliation, Zuleikha has woken up and given up her dirty thoughts and wrong actions, and by paying attention and returning to Allah, a deep and deep-rooted transformation in her thoughts, beliefs and actions has been achieved Because broken wings and falling down sometimes bring a person to the top, and the feeling of poverty and need and the understanding of one's own destitution are among the characteristics of divine saints and prominent servants of Allah, of course, if someone reaches this truth and this understanding while having wealth, position, and honor. It has value and excellence, otherwise it is usually found in everyone after poverty, humiliation and fall.

It is possible that Allah, by trapping her in this state of helplessness, has taken away that spirit of selfishness, lust, and ambition from her, and has created the ground for her to pay attention to Allah and feel the need for herself, and this is not a strange thing. As long as a person is alive, miracles and extraordinary things can be expected from her/him every moment, and this is one of the characteristics of a human being that he can change her/his existing situation with her/his will and decision and choice and not be condemned to the existing situation in any way.

How amazing is it that with the warm breath and possession of the great, innocent and close prophet of Allah, Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام), youngness returns to an old woman and finds such merit and worthiness in her that she becomes the wife of a great prophet like Hazrat Yusuf (عليه السلام). As long as a person is alive, She/he cannot be disappointed and he should not be disappointed.

Zuleikha, who has lost all of her existence and wealth, and her beauty, youth, strength, and honor have been taken away from her, suddenly woke up and realized her mistakes, left her misery behind, shed tears of regret, and honestly and sincerely lamented before Allah. The ground for growth, excellence and transformation has been created in her, and Allah treats such a servant in such a worthy way. But these narrations need more criticism and investigation.

Footnotes:

Quote

پي نوشتها:

1- تفسیر نورالثقلین، ج 2، ص 471، ح 218 و نیز احادیث 217 و 219 ؛ بحارالانوار، ج 12، ص 25.

2- مجلسی، محمدباقر، بحارالانوار، بیروت، دارالکتب الاسلامیه، ج12، ص282؛ و قمی، عباس، سفینه البحار، ج1، ص554؛ و ص278.

(1).Tafsir Noor al-Thaqalayn , v2 , p471 ,h 218 & hadith 217 & 219 ; Bihar al-Anwar ,v12 , p 1-25

(2).Bihar al-Anwar v 12 , p 282 ; Safinat al-bihar  Shaykh 'Abbas Qummi , V 1 , P 554 ; & p 278

http://www.porsemanequran.com/content/صحت-ازدواج-حضرت-يوسف-ع-با-زليخا

 

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Majma'_al-bayan_fi_tafsir_al-Qur'an_(book)

https://www.al-islam.org/al-taqrib/number-4-winter-2009/majma-al-bayan-bridging-enclaves-knowledge-abd-al-karim-bi-azar

 

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Tafsir_Nur_al-Thaqalayn_(book)

 

 

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Safinat_al-bihar_(book)

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

@EiE, I am sorry to ask, but why this response? Did you not ask for info? Did my man @Ashvazdanghe not provide you with the info? Why on earth say I want an explanation, but I am not willing to read it?

 

If you didn't want an actual explanation, but a sound bite, why not post this question on TikTok, Youtube Shorts, or a similar platform?

Edit was to replace the capital H in Shorts with a lower case h

Edited by funklebits
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, funklebits said:

@EiE, I am sorry to ask, but why this response? Did you not ask for info? Did my man @Ashvazdanghe not provide you with the info? Why on earth say I want an explanation, but I am not willing to read it?

 

If you didn't want an actual explanation, but a sound bite, why not post this question on TikTok, Youtube Shorts, or a similar platform?

Edit was to replace the capital H in Shorts with a lower case h

 

Because it sounds like fairy tale. You think some movie is going to convince me it's true?

 

Do you realize the power of drama in capturing attention? Do you know that when prophet Joseph's story is shared between common people, what gets mentioned the most is the depicted "relationship" between zuleikha and joseph from the iranian serie, and not the real struggles prophet Joseph had to endure .

Why is that? because drama and romance sells, so perhaps it might be worthwhile to reflect on whether your belief in this aspect of the story stems from a desire to romanticize it or from a genuine belief in its accuracy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...