In the Name of God بسم الله

Choosing Islamic Name

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

As Salamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. 

I'm a Muslim revert from Christianity, when I take my Shahadah they named me Yusuf. Now, that I decided to learn shi'ism and to follow the school of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) is it okay ifI change my muslim name into a name that is more related to my faith as a Shi'a? 

Allahumma salli 'ala Muhammad wa aali Muhammad wa 'ajjil farajahum! 

Jazakallahu khayr. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yusuf061995 said:

is it okay ifI change my muslim name into a name that is more related to my faith as a Shi'a? 

Allahumma salli 'ala Muhammad wa aali Muhammad wa 'ajjil farajahum! 

Salam your name  Yusuf is totally related to your faith as a Shi'a also it's popular name between Shi'a muslim communities anywhere also as bonus there is  correlation between prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام) & Imam Mahdi (aj) which as 

We shall end our brief discussion with the following statement:

The brothers of Hazrat Yusuf ((عليه السلام).) were the ones who had thrown him in the well and sold him. Whatever difficulties Hazrat Yusuf ((عليه السلام).) had to face was on account of his brothers. Yet, notwithstanding all these atrocities and crimes which they had committed against their own brother, when they came to Hazrat Yusuf ((عليه السلام).), who by then had become the King of Egypt, they said,

يَا أَيُّهَا الْعَزِيزُ مَسَّنَا وَأَهْلَنَا الضُّرُّ وَجِئْنَا بِبِضَاعَةٍ مُزْجَاةٍ فَأَوْفِ لَنَا الْكَيْلَ وَتَصَدَّقْ عَلَيْنَا ۖ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَجْزِي الْمُتَصَدِّقِينَ

"O King! Calamity has afflicted us and our families. We have come with a handful of provisions. But you repay us in full measure and be charitable towards us. Surely Allah loves the charitable." (Surah Yusuf, 12: 88)

Accepting their brief apology, Hazrat Yusuf ((عليه السلام).) excused them.

We repeat the same apology in your presence, O Yusuf al-Zahra, Hazrat Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.). O Master! Difficulties and calamities have surrounded us. We have come to you with very few good actions. But please have mercy on us and grant us in full measure.....

https://www.al-islam.org/imam-mahdi-عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف-spring-life/part-2-significance-and-obligations

2.1-occultation

The first question about this similarity is that there is a great difference between the occultation of the Imam of the Age (may Allah hasten his reappearance) and the occultation of Yusuf (peace be upon him). Because the absence of Yusuf (peace be upon him) is a relative absence, that is, although he was absent from Canaan, his brothers and his parents, he was not absent from the eyes of the Egyptians. He had conversations with the Egyptians, while the absence of Hazrat Mahdi (may Allah hasten his reappearance) is an absolute absence and he is absent from everyone's sight. Therefore, the comparison of the two with each other is the comparison of the difference. The answer to this point will come in the second analogy.

2.2 - The presence 
 Yusuf's brothers came to Egypt to buy provisions and entered the court of Yusuf (peace be upon him). He recognized them in the first glance and conversation, but they did not recognize Yusuf (peace be upon him). Without realizing Yusuf's identity, they talked to him and exchanged words:«فدخلوا علیه فعرفهم و هم له منکرون؛[4] (Yusuf's brothers). He recognized them, but they did not recognize him. Yusuf Zahra (peace be upon him) is also present among the people. He walks beside them and steps on their carpets (ie he even enters their best place of their houses &  has interaction with them), etc., but people do not recognize him. Some believe that the absence of the Imam of the Age (Aj-Allah Farjah Al-Sharif) means that he lives in the heavens or other worlds. Therefore, Hazrat Mahdi (may Allah hasten his reappearance) is hidden from the eyes of all people and no one sees him. Based on this belief, the point mentioned before comes to mind that comparing Hazrat Mahdi (may Allah hasten his reappearance) with Hazrat Yusuf (peace be upon him) is an incomplete comparison. But the truth is that the mentioned image is wrong and far from reality. He goes back and forth among people and walks in the streets and markets. People see that majesty, although they do not recognize him.

https://fa.wikifeqh.ir/شباهت‌های_امام_زمان_و_حضرت_یوسف

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Go for Qays , he was remarkable supporter of Amer ul momineen 

Qays b. Sa'd b. Ubada

Qays b. Saʿd b. ʿUbāda al-Khazrajī (Arabic:قيس بن سعد بن عبادة الخزرجي) (d. 60/679-80 or 85/704-5) was among the companions of the Prophet (s). He was the chief of Khazraj tribe and one of the agents of Imam Ali's (a) government. He was a commander of Imam Ali's (a) army and the army of Imam al-Hasan (a) and was known for his generosity among Arabs.

In al-Ghadir'Allama Amini has mentioned the name of Qays among the poets of the Event of Ghadir in the 1st/7th century.[25]

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Qays_b._Sa'd_b._Ubada

• Advanced Member

Your name is beautiful. Not just sounding, but Prophet Yusuf endured a seriously traumatic and oppressive life since childhood. He came out to be a King. That should be more than enough for you to be proud of that amazing name and aspire towards greatness. look at Saddam Hussain, that doesn't mean anything. The names of the Imams are very beautiful also, but I know some very pious and outstanding human beings who are called 'Chris' 'Jerome' 'Kyle'

You shouldn't get caught up in these outer issues, but carry that name with pride! 

• Advanced Member
On 4/17/2024 at 8:19 AM, realizm said:

Now we all say YA ALI !

:NH:

The affair has been decided. You remain Yusuf. 

:party: