In the Name of God بسم الله

I now wear hijab but I was not wearing hijab in my passport photo

• Basic Members

Hi! I just want to know what I should do. I got my passport in 2019 but I only started wearing hijab in mid 2020. Now, I'm travelling abroad next month and I am concerned that a non-mahram will check my passport either at the immigration office or at the check-in counter. Will I be punished by Allah if I allow a non-mahram airport officer see my non-hijabi photo in my passport?

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 4/10/2024 at 10:10 PM, lulu26 said:

Will I be punished by Allah if I allow a non-mahram airport officer see my non-hijabi photo in my passport?

No. Allah is most merciful. You have changed and you will not be judged for what you have done in the past. Your intention is to travel, not to show off your photo.

• Advanced Member

Salaam sister, congrats!

I would probably check with a sheikh. I had the same issue and had my passport redone. If you  can afford it, it doesnt hurt. Just as you would most likely abstain from posting pics from your past without hijab, its PROBABLY best not to use your old passport photo. I'm just not sure of the ruling so i suggest asking. You can use the Ask Those Who Know app and receive a response from a legit molauna fairly quickly.

If you could, let us know! 

JazakAllahkheyr 

• Advanced Member
On 4/11/2024 at 12:10 PM, lulu26 said:

Will I be punished by Allah if I allow a non-mahram airport officer see my non-hijabi photo in my passport?

No. Sayyedna Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: "انما الاعمال بالنيات (actions are [judged] by the intentions)"

If you're chaste and modest, you will not be punished just because you didn't put a scarf on your head.