In the Name of God بسم الله

Nikah and the US medical system

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators

I came across this on Twitter.

I have absolutely no idea how true this set of circumstances is etc.

But it does occur to me that for Muslim Americans, it's not such an ethical issue is it? After all as long as the nikah is in place - everything is still legit.

image.png

• Advanced Member

America has the worst healthcare in the history of mankind. They use people lives to get money and pamper israhell. 

• Moderators

This is sad but true. If u are legally married to someone and they die, their debts become your debts. 

The healthcare system is completely broken. It is run and managed for the benefit of corporations who run hospitals, like Kaiser, Beaumont, etc and the private insurance companies, also corporations. The sole concern of these corps is profit and they couldn't care less about the patients. 

They did the right move and I totally agree with their decision. If I was in that situation I would demand my wife divorce me (civil divorce) so that she wouldn't inherit that debt which is an illegitimate debt Islamically because in Islam your wife doesn't inherit your debt. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 10:16 AM, Abu Hadi said:

This is sad but true. If u are legally married to someone and they die, their debts become your debts. 

Not true in general actually. 

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-happens-to-medical-debt-when-you-die/

Generally, unless the debt was co-signed, there is “inheriting debt.” The debt belongs to the individual. However, it would come out of the estate. 

Potential exceptions to this are in so-called “community property” states. 

Interestingly — and this is discussed in the linked piece — in many states, it is possible, though unlikely, that adult children could be pursued under “filial responsibility” laws:

Filial responsibility laws: More than half of states have laws that hold adult children responsible for financially supporting their parents if the parents can't afford to support themselves. These laws are rarely enforced, because Medicaid typically pays for medical care in these cases. However, Medicaid might pursue your estate to recover benefits 

It can get tricky however if the person dies and their assets are less than their debts. In that case, insolvency proceedings take place in court, and estate assets like the family home might have to be sold to help settle the debt, which obviously can impact the survivor. But if the estate doesn’t have enough assets, the remaining debt is generally written off. 

• Advanced Member

Grateful for Australia, healthcare and education is for free (don't have to pay for our degree till we graduate from that degree and work in that field and make above a certain amount of salary only then the gov will start to take back the education fees through tax which isn't that much either).
I heard that in the US you can't even go to uni or college without paying for your units upfront ? And that you wont get medically treated till you pay as well which is sad and inhumane. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, 123xo said:

I heard that in the US you can't even go to uni or college without paying for your units upfront ? And that you wont get medically treated till you pay as well which is sad and inhumane. 

The first is true. The second is partially true - you might be turned away from a private hospital, but most public hospitals will treat patients who are unable to pay, and then bill them (and possibly their families) for the rest of their lives.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:32 AM, Diaz said:

America has the worst healthcare in the history of mankind. They use people lives to get money and pamper israhell. 

Yay capitalism.....

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, notme said:

Yay capitalism.....

I mean many other country is capitalist but they do not price their medications, education, expenses like that 

Edited by Diaz

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I mean many other country is capitalist but they do not price their medications, education, expenses like that 

Many other countries are mostly capitalist, but with a taxpayer provided safety net for vulnerable individuals and families. Even the US is not fully capitalist, but it is closer than other "First World" nations.