In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2024

Rate this topic

Haji 2003

• Moderators

The school district where I work is getting slammed for a shooting that happened in 2023. It has been revealed that dozens of bad choices were made by administrators. Some reports are saying that the former principal who didn't search the student after other children reported that he had shown them a gun because "his pockets are too small to have a gun" is fugitive. (I don't know if that is true. ) The child had 8 bullets, but only fired one because he was not strong enough to pull the trigger more than once. It could have been much worse. 

It reminds me of the school where I taught last year, but that school has been lucky so far.  

Admins where I'm working now are really on top of discipline and student mental health.  We work with a disadvantaged population, but I really think it's an amazingly good school. 

• Forum Administrators

Strongest military powers in the Middle East

Iran’s salvo was the first time it had attacked Israel directly from its own territory and brought the Middle East closer to a full-blown war between its two strongest military powers.

https://www.ft.com/content/38a1f8d2-404b-46ed-8285-39bcaca5bcb0

According to Wikipedia, in 2022 Iran spent US$6.8 billion on arms, Saudi spent US$69bn and Israel spent US$19bn. You might say that you can't compare Saudi and Iran due to population size. But Turkey also spent nearly twice as much as Iran. Perhaps they consider it in the European theatre?

Anyway, by my reckoning militaries around the world need to be asking how and where it spends its money to get that kind of bang for its buck!

• Forum Administrators

Beware of who is empowering you

This article deals with the rise of alcohol-related deaths amongst women in the UK.

Dr Katherine Severi, chief executive of the Institute of Alcohol Studies, a research body, said women were targeted with “aggressive marketing” and “gendered promotions” that portray alcohol as a tool for female empowerment and a way to cope with motherhood.

https://www.ft.com/content/d6099133-d215-474b-856d-4b087823f2da

• Advanced Member

Two very good litmus tests to know that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has withdrawn His blessings and mercy from a community-

1. People of knowledge and those who genuinely value and care for knowledge (not the pseudo- scholar متعالمون , not the laymen-despising arrogant turbaned careerists for whom knowledge is the tool for one- upmanship and Pied Piper of Hamlin- style attention-seeking, not the conceited pretenders whose entire repository of knowledge consists of half a dozen books and ten articles, but, as Imam al-Askari (عليه السلام) said,real God-wary pious scholars; they are the ones who do not put on airs, never hesitate from sharing their knowledge, stay humble, do not despise laymen for their ignorance, and know their status as custodians of the Thaqalayn's heritage, and constantly battle against their lower desires) migrate from it. 

2. When the obligation to 'enjoin the good and forbid the evil' is renounced, heresy, fisq and fujoor gain collective sanction, the true awliya are repelled and made to feel unwelcome, and the people are hailed based on their 'standing' (read 'clout') within the community rather than on the basis of their piety and mannerisms. 

If this state of affairs continues, there's a very good chance that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has left that group of people to fend for themselves. 

أعوذ بالله من ذٰلک

• Advanced Member

At times, I wonder if our reality is merely a simulation, a fabricated illusion that veils the true nature of existence. It seems as though everything around us is designed to divert our attention away from the genuine truths that lie beneath the surface.

• Advanced Member
On 4/13/2024 at 2:16 PM, notme said:

The school district where I work is getting slammed for a shooting that happened in 2023. It has been revealed that dozens of bad choices were made by administrators. Some reports are saying that the former principal who didn't search the student after other children reported that he had shown them a gun because "his pockets are too small to have a gun" is fugitive. (I don't know if that is true. ) The child had 8 bullets, but only fired one because he was not strong enough to pull the trigger more than once. It could have been much worse. 

It reminds me of the school where I taught last year, but that school has been lucky so far.  

Admins where I'm working now are really on top of discipline and student mental health.  We work with a disadvantaged population, but I really think it's an amazingly good school. 

he couldnt press it more than once? what??? a trigger needs 6lbs of pressure to fire. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Future_Banker_Insha Allah said:

he couldnt press it more than once? what??? a trigger needs 6lbs of pressure to fire. 

I don't know the details, but eyewitnesses reported that the weapon jammed, the child tried to shoot multiple times but was unable, and the weapon was fully loaded before he used it.  If you'd like to know as much as I know, look up Richneck Elementary School shooting. Difference is I work with people who personally know the victim.  (I've never met her. )

Edited by notme