In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2024

Rate this topic

Haji 2003

• Advanced Member

Neo-Akhbarism/Crypto-Akhbarism/Hyper-religious Anti-Clericalism/Shi'a Salafism is the proverbial lowest branch of modern-day Tashayyu. Someone grabs it either when he's clambering up the tree, or descending from it. It is the refuge of either juvenile and neo-convert zealots or hypercritical agnostics about to leave Twelver Shi'ism for some other belief system. 

In a way it is the pop- Shi'i equivalent of Protestant fundamentalism, and if left unchecked, it will do to Shi'a Islam exactly what fundamentalism and biblical literalism did to Christianity.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 7:15 PM, AbdusSibtayn said:

Neo-Akhbarism/Crypto-Akhbarism/Hyper-religious Anti-Clericalism/Shi'a Salafism is the proverbial lowest branch of modern-day Tashayyu. Someone grabs it either when he's clambering up the tree, or descending from it. It is the refuge of either juvenile and neo-convert zealots or hypercritical agnostics about to leave Twelver Shi'ism for some other belief system. 

In a way it is the pop- Shi'i equivalent of Protestant fundamentalism, and if left unchecked, it will do to Shi'a Islam exactly what fundamentalism and biblical literalism did to Christianity.

Maybe we should discuss this on another thread, but the alleged 'Shia Salafism' is arguably a return to classical Shi'ism.

An objective study into our actual authentic sources, and the views of our classical scholars will result in one overwhelming conclusion: Modern day Shi'ism has deviated majorly from original Shi'ism.

In fact, this is admitted be people like Ayatollah Mamqani, who is not a reformist, but himself said, had many scholars today been taken back to Qom during the time of Shaykh as-Saduq, they would have been kicked out of the city , because a lot of what was considered Ghuluw in those days has become to some parts of the establishment as from the fundamentals of the Madhab.

Then you go to scholars like Majlisi and the ruling power of the time not wanting Persia to be assimilated by the Ottomans, so they introduced all kinds of heresies into Shia Islam to build a wedge between Shias and Sunnis, and this is when clear cut innovations and all sorts of heresies became popular practice.

I highly recommend the book 'Shia Islam - crisis and consolidation' by Moderrasi , and read some of the works/video lectures by Sayed Kamal al-Hayderi, Sayed Fadallah, Shaykh Yasser Awdah, Ayatullah Muhsini, Ayatollah Tustari, and even experts on Sayed Khui's manhaj like Shaikh Hobollah.

<>

Believe me, not a day goes by when i am not in deep anguish or reflection about the state of modern day Shi'ism. It's been a grief like process, denial at first, and all the stages of grief and then acceptance.  The search for truth carries on, and i have conviction in the fact the best way to get to the Sunnah of Muhammed saw, is through the Thaqalayn, but i don't have to accept:

-Making Dua to other than Allah, and asking Imam Ali for children and sustenance

-Believing the Imams created everything and are al-Khaliq, ar-Raziq, even with 'Bi'idnillah' as if adding that to a heretical beliefs the Imams condemned and cursed the believers of makes it okay

-Believing the Imams know everything or almost everything, from quantumn-quantumn molecular unifying theory of gravity and quantumn mechanics, to the electrons that lead to the thoughts of every living being past to present. This is utterly heretical.

-An imam centric, rathe than a God centric approach. Reading the traditions of the Imams and Nahj-ul-Balagah, you find they promote God centricity, instead of a cult-like following where the means are the ends, rather than the means being for a greater ends i.e. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

-All sorts of heresies on the Mimbar, fairy tales etc for applauses and salawat. Some of the things you hear even children raise eyebrows at, honestly. Imam Ali as creating Adam as, Jonah as being swallowed by the whale because he hesitated on Wilayah, Imam Mahdi as having a fairy tale mother who was a roman princess.

I am free from it. I am trying to save any family from it, and as many people around me.  Anyone doing so will be obviously abandoned, attacked, have their words twisted. But that is a small price to pay in pursuit of truth once the wool is removed from the eyes and years of bias are slowly untangled and the person can finally start to see. 

I can not fathom, for the life of me, why, in a Quran full of warnings against any type of Shirk, entire communities dangerously throw around fire balls of it packaged in linguistic and intellectual gymnastic wrappings.

Edited by In Gods Name

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Abu_Zahra said:

Have you read the book? 

Salam brother,

Yes i have, not all in one go, but over time, because i wanted to fact check and go a bit deeper on certain parts.

Normally i try to stay away from these university , western style accounts of Islamic history, they sometimes don't pay credence to what is authentic or not.

So i would personally recommend going through each part , especially pertaining to succession, and go through the primary sources.

I used to say don't touch that book if your Eeman is weak. Now i say, read it and ask questions to those learned.

Edited by In Gods Name

• Advanced Member
On 3/5/2024 at 7:15 PM, AbdusSibtayn said:

What branch would you class people who insult the memory of the master of matyrs, the leader of the youth of paradise, Imam Aba-abdillah al-Hussain as?

• Advanced Member

"Muslim collections of Hadith have recorded a report which, despite its weakness in the chain of transmission, has been accepted as authentic. The narration is found with alternative chains in Ibn Majah, and also works such as Al-Kafi. Within Imami literature it is attributed to both the Prophet and his great grandson, Muhammad al-Baqir.

مَنْ طَلَبَ اَلْعِلْمَ لِيُبَاهِيَ بِهِ اَلْعُلَمَاءَ أو يُمَارِيَ بِهِ اَلسُّفَهَاءَ أَوْ يَصْرِفَ بِهِ وجوهَ اَلنَّاسِ إِلَيْهِ فَلْيَتَبَوَّأْ مَقعدهُ منَ اَلنَّارِ إِنَّ اَلرِّئَاسَةَ لاَ تَصْلُح إِلاَّ لِأَهْلِهَا

"One who pursues religious knowledge in order to brag and boast about it in front of the scholars, or to dispute with it the foolish ones, or turn the faces of the people towards them (to make them into a leader) to follow him/her, let such an individual take their seat made from the fire of hell. Verily, leadership is only correct for its suitable people."

In the online race to become the most contrarian, and to be recognized for having apparently 'deeply researched' opinions, we forget about reminders like the above. We think one upping others or flexing our surface level reading of alternative opinions will bring us glory, but it may only create for us a throne of destruction.

This is where having the right training while learning comes into play. Forums, threads or comment sections cannot always provide the necessary moral attuning that we need in the journey of knowledge. Nor can they always capture the nuance required. Arrogance is difficult to hide in those who approach learning with the wrong intentions. One of the clearest signs is in how they speak (ridicule/mock) others based on their extremely limited information.

One of the major reasons that teachers may often avoid or decline teaching certain individuals is for this very reason. They are wary of the driving forces and attitudes.

As one contemporary scholar of Islamic morals put it, 'it's a shame to give up the rewards available to the seeker and spreader of knowledge for lowly worldly praise or positions.'

We're never too good to stop checking ourselves.

May God grant us sincerity."

- From Mawlana Hadi Rizvi's instagram handle, courtesy Agha Ali from the Imamiyyah discord server.

• Veteran Member

"We revealed to the Children of Israel in the Book: ‘Twice you will cause corruption on the earth, and you will perpetrate great tyranny.’ (4) So when the first occasion of the two [prophecies] came, We aroused against you Our servants possessing great might, and they ransacked [your] habitations, and the promise was bound to be fulfilled. (5) Then We gave you back the turn [to prevail] over them, and We aided you with children and wealth, and made you greater in number, (6) [saying,] ‘If you do good, you will do good to your [own] souls, and if you do evil, it will be [evil] for them.’ So when the occasion for the other [prophecy] comes, they will make your faces wretched, and enter the Temple just as they entered it the first time, and destroy utterly whatever they come upon. (7)" Surah Israa 

Wondering if this was a prophecy about what is happening in the world now? 

• Veteran Member

The commentary on for verse 7 on the Quran Hadi App seems to indicate it's a possibility:

"Some commentaries have pointed out the corruption of the Jews and their eradication on two occasions by individuals in distant past or recent past, and Masjid-ul-Aqsa has born witness to many bitter memories during several thousand years, yet, according to some verses and Islamic quotations, perhaps we must be expecting further violations and oppressions from the side of the Israelis and their eventual extermination by the righteous servants of Allah.

As it is understood from the apparent of verses 5 and 6, there has not come yet such a widespread corruption on the earth to be brought about by the Children of Israel and such an important devastation and extermination has not been fulfilled by men of Allah.

Nowadays, we are witnessing, on the one hand, the widespread violation by Israel and its plot for the conquest of the lands from the Nile to the Euphrates as well as the expulsion of the Muslims from their homeland, the bringing of espionage networks into existence in the world, taking over of the propaganda machinery, assembling of manpower from the east and the west, and other measures which are conducive to corruption.

Incidentally, according to the numerous Islamic quotations, which are recorded under this verse in various commentaries, some consider the occurrence of the extermination of the violating Jews by the faithful revolutionaries before the uprising of Hadrat-i-Mahdi (عليه السلام), those who take up their swords (arms) and who go forth as far as their martyrdom.

They will in turn pave the way for the universal government of Hadrat-e-Mahdi (a.j.). Some regard this occurrence to take place within the period of the reappearance of Imam-i-Zaman, in which case the invading Jews will be exterminated.

Concluding this statement, we must keep in mind that the Mosques have constantly been the bases for the force of the religions and as a symbol of power. Hence, liberating the mosques from the domination of pagans has constantly been the duty of the believers.

To combat the violating Jews, men of Allah will enter Bayt-ul-Muqaddas in the same way that the Muslims did in entering Masjid-ul-Har am at the time of the conquest of Mecca."

• Advanced Member

Saudi arabia announced tomorrow is the holy month but we shia who lives in gcc, our holy month will start on tuesday. So tomorrow my intensions will be fasting for the last day of shaban. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Ramadan Reflections:

One of the obstacles when someone embarks on this journey of deepening their understanding of Islam is studying it to reinforce what they already know and interpreting everything and seeing through the modern lens. This is an obstacle and hinderance to obtaining a deep understanding. It is an easy way out as it requires little to no effort. The one who is not willing to engage in extensive research by studying the works of classical scholars, gaining a good understanding of the development of various sciences within Islam and being able to understand and use the tools in those sciences, simply will not be able to break these barriers and move past the surface.

The problem lies in the attitude of individuals. The ones who realise their limitations in piercing through the surface level understanding, should either make some sacrifices to properly ground themselves through extensive research and study of the traditional sciences obtaining mastery or simply be students of knowledge who refer to the expert scholars.

I find it deeply concerning when individuals start taking the third route that is in spite of their inability to attain some level of mastery they start excessively sharing their own opinions, quoting hadith to derive rules and to push forward certain theological points. This third route is not about whether someone is ultra-orthodox or overly modern in their approach. The issue is to be sharing opinions and speaking without a strong foundation of Islamic sciences. If the individual in his entire lifetime not been able to translate one sentence from the classical works in the 4th or 5th century, he should refrain because there is a chance that he is missing a lot of the puzzle pieces. This arises from ignorance and despite good intentions it cannot be endorsed because speaking without knowledge is disliked in Islam.

Please note that having frank discussions with qualified scholars and sharing our opinions in academic settings to be corrected is a different matter. I am referring to those individuals who start preaching to others in every street, mosque, gathering, forum etc. and start confidently stating their own opinions especially on matters  that require expertise to be able to arrive to an understanding.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

• Advanced Member

Not what you think - don't belittle people who are trying to get religious in Ramadhan, encourage each other. 

• Advanced Member

Remember, brothers and sisters, the message from Allah is clear and simple.

Why have so many been misguided, deviated, and gone astray? They did not follow their Fitrah, and they did not use their reason, and many of them deferred the faculties of their own thinking, and against what they deeply maybe realised was wrong, to their leaders, their scholars.

Think about it. William Lane Craig with double PHDs and extensive knowledge of Christianity, defends the Trinity using linguistic gymnastics. Those who use their Fitrah and reject the Trinity, are told they need to delve deeper and are asked whether they know more then the Christian Ulema.

Many scholarly institutions throughout history, be it Islam and other faiths, have gone in a state of flux. In Shia Islam we once were ruled by Akhbaris, we once had anti-Ghuluw classical scholars, we once had major Safawid scholars who believed the Quran was distorted.

Are you going to simply adopt the beliefs of your time, such you are so fragile had you existed in a different era, your beliefs would have been different?

<>

On the day of judgement, we will be told the message was clear. We will not be allowed to claim we deferred our thinking when it came to clear cut Aqeedah matters to others.

Allah exists, and is the one true God.

Only he delegates the Risq, not the Imams.

Dua is Ibadah, to the one closer to us than our jugular veins, and among the best forms of worship. It does not belong to humans who ate, used the toilet, slept, wept, had to wash because of the sweat - be it a pious scholar, or the truly exemplary members of the ahlulbayt asws.

• Veteran Member

Is being sick with morning sickness count as the kind of sickness where you can't fast? The ruling seems to be that if fasting would delay getting better then you can't fast. But morning sickness doesn't get better by eating bc it's not that kind of sickness. However since I actually am throwing up then I have less in my stomach than others which put me at a disadvantage. 

• Advanced Member
On 3/21/2024 at 2:09 PM, ireallywannaknow said:

Is being sick with morning sickness count as the kind of sickness where you can't fast? The ruling seems to be that if fasting would delay getting better then you can't fast. But morning sickness doesn't get better by eating bc it's not that kind of sickness. However since I actually am throwing up then I have less in my stomach than others which put me at a disadvantage. 

Ya3ni if you're pregnant, and you're losing electrolytes , fluid on top of that, surely there needs to be an exception here - but double check.

• Forum Administrators

Enjoying life

The Guardian has a piece about the stress of debt that people are under and this person recounts his problems.

Monthly overheads add up, including £110 for property service charges, £550 for petrol, £240 for council tax, £300 for electricity, £200 for car insurance, £370 for dog day care, £170 for special diet dog food, £90 for mobile phone bills, and £200 for life insurance. After all these costs there is little left to enjoy life, says Matthew, whose daughter currently still lives at home.

Is there little left to enjoy life? The dude spends £540 (US$680) a month on his dog. That's the enjoyment.

• Moderators

After seeing all these events in Palestine I really came to conclusion that no adult jew is innocence in Zionist Israel, even those who are ageinst the government or religious jews, what a heck you people are doing in that land when your whole presence is contradicting with your beliefs and it only support the Zionist Israel. The only innocence are those belivers jews who live outside and they would never want to return to zionist Israel, not even being there in presence. 

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, In Gods Name said:

Ya3ni if you're pregnant, and you're losing electrolytes , fluid on top of that, surely there needs to be an exception here - but double check.

I think the general ruling is if there is concern about harm being done to the baby you cannot fast but based on some studies I've seen comparing babies whose mother fasted during shahr Ramadan and babies whose mothers did not, it seems more likely that it is not harmful for the baby (in a healthy pregnant). But I will double check on that point you made, thanks. 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Is there no other source of content than ones coming from salafis? 

I've watched their videos extensively, there's nothing i can find that contradicts Islam and if there is a video inwhich there is, i will highlight it.

It is inspiring to see youth who have both memorised the Quran - or large parts of it, and are keeping away from Zina, are living a healthy, active life but keeping Islam at the focus, praying Salah on time, and are excellent role models.

If you can find me a fellow Shia group of youth who are Hafidh of the Quran, can quote ahadith and have a similar channel chronicling their day to day life, in a way that is excellent for the youth i will share it also inshaAllah.

Unfortunately, the only one i could find are two youths who host a 'After Maghrib' podcast, and both promote Dua to other than Allah on their channel and all sorts of beliefs i am afraid may well take me outside of Islam.

However, this video is fantastic by Shaykh Qazwini:

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Enjoying life

The Guardian has a piece about the stress of debt that people are under and this person recounts his problems.

Is there little left to enjoy life? The dude spends £540 (US$680) a month on his dog. That's the enjoyment.

I have 3 home cats and feed 10+ homeless cats and never paid more than $85 per month. Some people are crazy.

2 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

After seeing all these events in Palestine I really came to conclusion that no adult jew is innocence in Zionist Israel, even those who are ageinst the government or religious jews, what a heck you people are doing in that land when your whole presence is contradicting with your beliefs and it only support the Zionist Israel. The only innocence are those belivers jews who live outside and they would never want to return to zionist Israel, not even being there in presence. 

This^ some jews outside of israhell r fighting more than muslims in gcc. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Monthly overheads add up, including £110 for property service charges, £550 for petrol, £240 for council tax, £300 for electricity, £200 for car insurance, £370 for dog day care, £170 for special diet dog food, £90 for mobile phone bills, and £200 for life insurance. After all these costs there is little left to enjoy life, says Matthew, whose daughter currently still lives at home.

Okay i just re read this post again and I am completely shocked. 300 euros for electricity and 90 euros for mobile phone bills? That's expensive as hell. Now I'm grateful I don't live in uk. And why would someone have a life insurance if they are not celebrities, politician or someone important?

Edited by Diaz

• Moderators
On 3/21/2024 at 10:09 AM, ireallywannaknow said:

However since I actually am throwing up then I have less in my stomach than others which put me at a disadvantage. 

Does vomiting invalidate the fast? Or this is before you begin fasting for the day? 

If you are unable to keep down enough food, it can harm you and your baby.  Please talk with your doctor about fasting and morning sickness.  Maybe you will have extra health checks to be sure you are both safe.  

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, notme said:

Does vomiting invalidate the fast? Or this is before you begin fasting for the day? 

If you are unable to keep down enough food, it can harm you and your baby.  Please talk with your doctor about fasting and morning sickness.  Maybe you will have extra health checks to be sure you are both safe.  

I think only intentional vomiting invalidates the fast. It happened during the daytime. Alhamdulillah the past 2 days have been better though, I have been having ginger at suhoor time so maybe that has helped inshaAllah. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 7:38 PM, AbdusSibtayn said:

In the online race to become the most contrarian, and to be recognized for having apparently 'deeply researched' opinions, we forget about reminders like the above. We think one upping others or flexing our surface level reading of alternative opinions will bring us glory, but it may only create for us a throne of destruction.

This is where having the right training while learning comes into play. Forums, threads or comment sections cannot always provide the necessary moral attuning that we need in the journey of knowledge. Nor can they always capture the nuance required. Arrogance is difficult to hide in those who approach learning with the wrong intentions. One of the clearest signs is in how they speak (ridicule/mock) others based on their extremely limited information.

The way the modern technology is set up is to feed our ego and as long as we are using these platforms we are not safe. Scholars are not even immune from this as we are all human beings with this desire to be recognised and love. 

In the past,  the scholars were more focused on saving Islam, growing, presering history and had loftier goals. They wanted to critique ideas and had love for knowledge. Life was also less complicated and one didn't need to work hours and hours to earn an income. So those classical scholars although not that they are immune from corrupted intentions (history is full of writers, historians, scholars who had the wrong goals), but they were not living in a society like our modern one which has devalued knowledge so much and has turned it into some commodity that helps us generate an income and to compete with others. I am talking in a general sense of how the modern world is set up to increase our hunger for the material.

This is why the seekers of knowledge, preachers and scholars who are an asset are those who have benefited from their knowledge and those who take care of it. Yes even though they are well-learned strong students they know how to take care of their knowledge. They don't start spreading it everywhere except when their wisdom dictates. They don't always dwell into controversial issues or matters that could raise further doubts in the masses unless it is in an academic environment where it can be properly explained. This is the danger of technology and the structure of the modern world, we don't know how to interact with information and data, We have access to a lot of content but how much of it have we understood and used to develop well-informed opinions.  

As a general rule of thumb the less we show, talk and share the less chance of us getting ourselves in trouble. I think putting a tape on our mouth at least for the first few years when studying islam unless it is in an academic environment or during study/discussion groups - this should be obligatory.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

The way the modern technology is set up is to feed our ego and as long as we are using these platforms we are not safe. Scholars are not even immune from this as we are all human beings with this desire to be recognised and love. 

In the past,  the scholars were more focused on saving Islam, growing, presering history and had loftier goals. They wanted to critique ideas and had love for knowledge. Life was also less complicated and one didn't need to work hours and hours to earn an income. So those classical scholars although not that they are immune from corrupted intentions (history is full of writers, historians, scholars who had the wrong goals), but they were not living in a society like our modern one which has devalued knowledge so much and has turned it into some commodity that helps us generate an income and to compete with others. I am talking in a general sense of how the modern world is set up to increase our hunger for the material.

This is why the seekers of knowledge, preachers and scholars who are an asset are those who have benefited from their knowledge and those who take care of it. Yes even though they are well-learned strong students they know how to take care of their knowledge. They don't start spreading it everywhere except when their wisdom dictates. They don't always dwell into controversial issues or matters that could raise further doubts in the masses unless it is in an academic environment where it can be properly explained. This is the danger of technology and the structure of the modern world, we don't know how to interact with information and data, We have access to a lot of content but how much of it have we understood and used to develop well-informed opinions.  

As a general rule of thumb the less we show, talk and share the less chance of us getting ourselves in trouble. I think putting a tape on our mouth at least for the first few years when studying islam unless it is in an academic environment or study groups should be obligatory.

Salam,

I pray you are having a blessed Ramadhan insha Allah,

Can you apply what you said to the Christian who sits with Christian Priests who underwent academic and deep theological study, obtained doctorates, and then scoff at the one who uses their Fitrah to say, no matter what linguistic gymnastic one uses, the Trinity makes no rational sense, and even in scripture, Jesus appears to clearly promote absolute Monotheism and there are signs of later adulteration by classical Christian scholars like Paul?

If those same highly educated individuals in their ivory towers scoffed patronisingly at this enlightened individual, and said 'Study for five years, keep your mouth silent and come and discuss after', how would you respond?

Truth is clear, and should be clear, and inline with our Fitrah. This is why when it comes to Aqeedah issues, even the Ulema have said Taqlid can not be done in those issues, you have to use your own reasoning and investigate for yourself.

One of the reasons one could be thrown into Hell is blind adherence to scholars who preach other than what Allah has clearly taught.

Scholars who preach in making Dua to GhairAllah, that Allah has given the reigns of creation and providing life and sustenance by his permission to created slaves, that these slaves will decide who goes to Heaven and Hell and God will give them this power, that these slaves are superior to all Prophets. I'd say they need to be questioned in an academic way.

Institutions of a religious nature churn out like minded individuals. This applies to Catholics, Salafis, Shias, Jews etc and the like. Independent thinkers who go against the orthodoxy of their time are maligned, sidelined and ostracised. 

Sayed Kamal al-Hayderi was put under house arrest. Sayed Fadallah was badly slandered. Ayatullah Najafi of Pakistan (not the one that allows self-harm and mutilation but the one that forbids it who they mock as 'Dhakku') was mocked and maligned. 

Edited by In Gods Name