In the Name of God بسم الله

Marriage formula when man represents himself

Rate this topic

Guest Fatima786110

Guest Fatima786110

Salaam alaykum

I’ve searched everywhere on Google but have yet to find the correct nikah formula in this case:

- the girl is represented by someone  for example a maula or imam

- the man represents himself and recites the formula himself

I’d really appreciate the help with this

Thanks  alot 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Guest Fatima786110 said:

Salaam alaykum

I’ve searched everywhere on Google but have yet to find the correct nikah formula in this case:

- the girl is represented by someone  for example a maula or imam

- the man represents himself and recites the formula himself

I’d really appreciate the help with this

Thanks  alot 

I’m reasonably certain in whatever case, there is not really a “formula,” per se, for the man. Given how the zawaj ritual (of whichever flavor) is structured. 

The formula part is on the woman’s side, traditionally. She or a representative declares the terms under which she will bind herself in marriage. 

In whatever case, the man’s only input is his statement of the acceptance of terms:

Qabiltu. I accept (the terms and conditions).

• Advanced Member

Marriage formula or Sīgha (Arabic: صیغة النکاح) refers to phrases, by saying which a man and a woman enter the marriage contract. According to many Shi'a jurists, the marriage formula should be recited in correct Arabic.

Marriage Formula

Marriage formula refers to phrases by which a man and a woman enter the marriage contract. Marriage formula can only be established by verbal proposition and acceptance and mere consent by the heart is not sufficient. By proposition, a proposal for the marriage contract offered to another is meant; and acceptance is expressing consent about the proposal given for that contract.

Words of proposition to be recited by the woman are: "zawwajtuk-a"[1] or "ankahtuk-a"[2].

«زَوَّجْتُکَ» یا «أنْکَحْتُکَ».[۴]

Some fiqh scholars have also considered "matta'tuka"[3] acceptable. Words of acceptance to be recited by the man are: "qabilt-u al-tazwij" [4], "qabilt-u al-nikah"[5], "qabilt-u al-tazwij-a wa l-nikah"[6] or "tazawwajt-u"[7].

«قَبِلْتُ التَزْویج»، «قَبِلْتُ النِّکاح»، «قَبِلْتُ التَزْویج و النِّکاح» یا «تَزَوَّجْتُ».[۷]

Permanent Marriage

Main article: Permanent marriage

In the permanent marriage, if the man and woman are to recite the formula, first the woman should say, "Zawwajtuk-a nafsi ala l-sidaq al-ma'lum"[8], meaning "I married myself to you upon the known (specified) mahr".

«زَوَّجْتُکَ نَفْسِی عَلیَ الصِّداقِ الْمَعْلُومِ»

Then, the man should say, "qabilt-u al-tazwij ala l-sidaq al-ma'lum"[9], meaning "I accepted the marriage upon the known (specified) mahr."

«قَبِلْتُ التَزْوِیجَ عَلیَ الصِّداقِ المَعْلُوْمِ» 

He might also only say, "qabilt-u al-tazwij"«قَبِلْتُ التَّزْوِیجَ» with the intention of marriage with the known (specified) mahr.

If the man and the woman choose two others as their advocates to recite the Marriage formula, and for example the name of the man is "Ahmad" and the name of the woman is "Fatima", the woman's advocate should say, "Zawwajt-u muwakkilat-i Fatima muwakkiluk-a Ahmad ala l-sidaq al-ma'lum"[10],«زَوَّجْتُ مُوَکِّلَتِی فاطِمَةَ مُوَکِّلَکَ أَحْمَدَ عَلیَ الصَّداقِ الْمَعْلُومِ» meaning, "I made my client Fatima married to your client Ahmad upon the known (specified) mahr". Then, the man's advocate should say, "Qabilt-u al-tazwij li muwakkil-i Ahmad ala l-sidaq al-ma'lum"[11] meaning, «قَبِلْتُ التَزْوِیجَ لِمُوَکِّلِی أَحْمَدَ عَلَی الصِّداقِ المَعْلُومِ» "I accepted the marriage for my client Ahmad upon the known (specified) mahr."

Temporary Marriage

Main article: Temporary marriage

About the formula for temporary marriage, if the man and the woman recite it themselves, after they specify the duration of marriage and mahr, the woman should say, "Zawwajtuk-a nafsi fi l-muddat-i l-ma'luma ala l-mahr-i l-ma'lum"[12],

«زَوَّجْتُکَ نَفْسِی فِی المُدَّةِ المَعْلُومَةِ عَلَی المَهْرِ المَعْلُومِ»

meaning, "I married myself to you for a specified duration upon the known (specified) mahr"; then, the man should say, "qabilt-u"[13], meaning "I accepted".

«قَبِلْتُ».

If the man and the woman choose two others as their advocates to recite the Marriage formula, first, the woman's advocate should tell the man's advocate, "zawwajt-u muwakkilat-i muwakkiluk-a fi l-muddat-i l-ma'luma ala l-mahr-i l-ma'lum"[14],

«زَوَّجْتُ مُوَکِّلَتِی مُوَکِّلَکَ فِی المُدَّةِ المَعْلُومَةِ عَلَی المَهْرِ المَعْلُومِ» 

meaning "I made my client married to your client for a specified duration upon the known (specified) mahr". Then, the man's advocate should say, "Qabilt-u al-tazwij li muwakkil-i ha kadha",[15],

«قَبِلْتُ التَّزْوِیجَ لِمُوَکِّلِی هکَذا» 

meaning "I accepted the marriage for my client as such."

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Marriage_formula

https://fa.wikishia.net/view/صیغه_ازدواج

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fatima786

In need of help please!

Salaam alaykum 

I’m getting my nikah done in a few weeks time 

I am a woman, and I’m being represented by an agent

My husband wants to say his own acceptance formula

Can you please send me the wording in Arabic and English translation of:

What the agent should ask (from woman’s side)

What the man should respond if he reads his own nikah

Can someone please please help me with this? 

Thank you

• Advanced Member

What country do you live in? Isn't there a sheik or elder that help with Nikah?

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Guest Fatima786 said:

Can you please send me the wording in Arabic and English translation of:

What the agent should ask (from woman’s side)

What the man should respond if he reads his own nikah

Can someone please please help me with this? 

Salam

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Marriage_formula