In the Name of God بسم الله

Sitting & standing salat due to OCD (MENTAL HEALTH)

Rate this topic

lewiskountrer

• Basic Members

Assalamu aleikum

I am bery ashamed of telling this, but I suffer of Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). I am disgraced,  this began 15 years ago when I wasn't even muslim and I can control it, but only at an extent. TDRL: I fear touching dirty things and the worst place for me I fear the most is the floor or ground. So, I avoided praying salat during 5 years since I converted, but never talked about it to anyonw. This is because I have to do sujood down there and this make my anxiety rise to the roof even with the meds I'm taking.

So, my question is...would my salat be valid if I perform it sitting/standing due to a mental disease and not a physical impediment?? I am really in love with Islam, but I feel I would have to leave it because of this crazy issue. You won't underhand  :(

• Basic Members
13 minutes ago, JannahLM said:

Salaam. Just curious. Would a rug make it better for you? It would be a barrier between you and the dirty ground, if that makes sense?

It sounds easy, but I would have to wash it everytime I use it and trust it is really clean, check and re-check and the time for the prayer finishes lol...hard to understand, I bet.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, lewiskountrer said:

Assalamu aleikum

I am bery ashamed of telling this, but I suffer of Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). I am disgraced,  this began 15 years ago when I wasn't even muslim and I can control it, but only at an extent. TDRL: I fear touching dirty things and the worst place for me I fear the most is the floor or ground. So, I avoided praying salat during 5 years since I converted, but never talked about it to anyonw. This is because I have to do sujood down there and this make my anxiety rise to the roof even with the meds I'm taking.

So, my question is...would my salat be valid if I perform it sitting/standing due to a mental disease and not a physical impediment?? I am really in love with Islam, but I feel I would have to leave it because of this crazy issue. You won't underhand  :(

Salaam alaikum brother,

yes, you can pray sitting if it is hard to pray standing. Remember “Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear” Religion is easy and not meant for hardship, Wa alaikum alaykum brother

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, FatimaTree101 said:

yes, you can pray sitting if it is hard to pray standing

Salam pray sitting only acceptable in case of   physical impediment which main problem of @lewiskountrer is touching ground or floor because he thinks too much that is dirty which is psychological problem which needs immediate cure which also it's a serious SCRUPULOSITY (Waswas ).

Through my continuous chain of transmitters reaching up to the shaykh of the traditionists and the best of them, Muhammad ibn Ya'qub al-Kulayni-may God, the Exalted, have mercy upon him-who reports from Muhammad ibn Yahya, from Ahmad ibn Muhammad, from Ibn Mahbub, from 'Abd Allah ibn Sinan, who said: "I mentioned to Abu 'Abd Allah-may peace be upon him-a man who was troubled by waswas in his wudu, and salat, adding that he is a man of intelligence. Thereupon Abu 'Abd Allah-may peace be upon him-said: `What kind of intelligence has he, when he obeys Satan?' I said: `How does he obey Satan?' The Imam replied: 'Ask him regarding its cause and he will tell you that it is a work of Satan'."' [1]

You should know that waswasah (or waswas, pl. wasawis; means satanic insinuations, obsessions and suggestions), doubt, lapse of faith, shirk and the like pertain to satanic insinuation and devilish promptings, which Satan puts into the hearts of people.

The mundane forms find their reflection in the outward senses and some of the inner cognitive faculties such as khayal and wahm (imagination).

The hereafterly forms find their reflection in the inward intellect and the inner core (sirr) of the heart. Should the worldly aspect of the heart preponderate and its attention be wholly absorbed by the pursuit of the mundane, becoming its sole concern, the hidden side of khayal becomes attuned to the realm of lower malakut (malakut-e sufla) which is the dark reflected image of the world of mulk and corporeal nature (in the realm of malakut)-the realm of the jinn, devils and evil spirits. The suggestions induced in it due to this attunement (with the realm of lower malakut) are satanic insinuations, which are the source of baseless thoughts and unwholesome imaginings. The soul develops an eagerness for these unfounded fancies due to its absorption with the mundane, and its will and faculty of decision-making also become subject to them.

As a result,all one's spiritual and bodily conduct becomes satanic in character, as is the case with waswas, doubt, uncertainty, unfounded thoughts and hallucinations.

As the will in its bodily activity becomes attuned to them, bodily actions too assume the character of the inward forms; for one's acts are the image of one's will, which in turn is the image of one's thoughts. which are a reflection of the heart's orientation. Hence, when the heart be oriented toward the satanic realm, the suggestions it receives are of a satanic character, involving compound ignorance. As a result, waswas, doubt, .irk and ambiguities emerge from the inner core of one's being and pervade to the domain of the body.

That wasawis [pl of Waswas] and acts resulting from them are a handiwork of Satan, insinuated by that accursed creature, and that there is therein no religious or pious motive involved-although the person afflicted may mistakenly believe that he possesses it-is borne out by their being contrary to the laws of the Shari'ah and the traditions of the pure and infallible Imams of the Ahl al-Bayt.

3. The Remedy for Waswas:

first one must know himself to be sick, for only then can he take a step to cure his illness.

an intelligent person should reflect and think for a while if Satan has not taken control of his mind. Then he must commit himself to setting aside this kind of conduct and correct it, for therein lies God's good pleasure.

Whenever someone finds a trace of this obsession in himself, he should turn to other ordinary people or question the `ulama' and fuqaha' about his own conduct to see whether he is suffering from waswas or not. 

After that he has come to know in theory that he is ill, it is necessary to take remedial action. The main point that relates to action is that he should not pay attention to the satanic waswasah and the whims that it insinuates.

" If you are muqallid of a mujtahid, you may tell Satan: "

I am acting in accordance with the ruling of a mujtahid. If my wudu' is invalid, God shall not consider me responsible, and He has no incriminating grounds (hujjah) against me." Should the accursed one cast doubt concerning the ruling of the mujtahid, saying that he did not give such a ruling, fetch his book, which is accessible, open it and show it to him. If you ignore his insinuations several times and act contrary to his suggestions, he would take his hands off you in desperation, and it is hoped that you will obtain a definite cure of your illness, as mentioned in some noble traditions:

His Satan may say that this act is not valid. To this he should reply by saying that `If my act is not valid, then the practice of the Messenger of God (S) and the Pure Imams (A), as well as that of all the fuqaha' was invalid too.

Al-'Imam al-Sadiq-may peace be upon him-said: "A man came to the Messenger of Allah (S) and said: 'O Messenger of Allah, I complain to you concerning the waswasah that so troubles me during salat that I don't know how much of my prayer I have offered.' The Prophet said to him, 'When you enter your salat, strike your left thigh with the forefinger of your right hand, then say: "In the Name of God and by God, I put my trust in God, I seek refuge in God, the All-hearing, the All-knowing from Satan, the Stoned One." You will exorcize him and drive him away'." [9]

And all praise is God's, firstly and lastly, outwardly and inwardly, and may benedictions and peace be upon Muhammad and the Pure Ones of his progeny.

[7]. Al-Kulayni, Furu' al-Kafi, iii, 358.

[9]. Ibid., iii, 358

https://erfan.ir/english/16613.html

From Sunni viewpoint 

Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) says:

“ The earth has been created for me as a mosque and a means of purification” (Swaheehul Bukhari- 1: 331)

Land and water that are created by God in due proportion for the benefits of men must be regarded to be sacred. Prophet Muhammad (s) emphasizes that earth is not only a pure entity but purifying agent also. By informing men that the earth is sacred land, Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) teaches men to keep the land always clean and tidy.

https://nerdyseal.com/the-prophet-muhammad-and-the-environment/

https://shaytanwaswascure.com/how-to-get-rid-of-waswas-in-islam/

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, lewiskountrer said:

It sounds easy, but I would have to wash it everytime I use it and trust it is really clean, check and re-check and the time for the prayer finishes lol...hard to understand, I bet.

Salam you can put a reusable paper towel under Turbah over rug  & wear cotton gloves & socks .

Ruling on praying with gloves

Question: Is there anything wrong with praying while wearing gloves - even if they are thick?

Answer: There is no problem.

Source: information base of the Office of the Supreme Leader

https://rasekhoon.net/faq/show/1504894

Praying with shoes and gloves
  What is the ruling on praying with shoes and gloves if it is clean?
There is no problem in praying with gloves, and there is no problem with shoes as long as it does not prevent the tip of the toe from reaching the ground.

Categories: miscellaneous , prayer clothes

http://makarem.ir/ahkam/fa/tag/index/136506/دستکش

Ruling on wearing socks in prayer

Ayatollah Makarem
Hazrat Ayatollah Makarem has stated in response to the question of wearing or not wearing socks in prayer.

According to "Hawze" news agency, the text of the question and answers of this imitation authority is as follows.

Question: Is it recommended to pray with feet without socks?

Answer: Bare feet are not recommended, but it is recommended to wear socks in prayer.

Source: information base of the office of Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi

https://www.hawzahnews.com/news/359439/حکم-پوشیدن-جوراب-در-نماز

Prayer with socks & footwear

Question: There are footwear(s) [l ikewise slippers] that are thicker than socks and thinner than shoes. Is there any problem in wearing these footwears for prayer?
Answer: Because tip of the toe  is placing on the ground like a sock, there is no problem.

https://makarem.ir/main.aspx?typeinfo=21&lid=0&catid=45567&mid=266737

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam you can put a reusable paper towel under Turbah over rug  & wear cotton gloves & socks .

Ruling on praying with gloves

https://rasekhoon.net/faq/show/1504894

http://makarem.ir/ahkam/fa/tag/index/136506/دستکش

Ruling on wearing socks in prayer

https://www.hawzahnews.com/news/359439/حکم-پوشیدن-جوراب-در-نماز

Prayer with socks & footwear

https://makarem.ir/main.aspx?typeinfo=21&lid=0&catid=45567&mid=266737

The permissibility of praying with gloves on is actually a super useful thing to know here in Canada as well, lol.