In the Name of God بسم الله

Sunni/Shia Hadiths On Physical Appearance Of Imam Mahdi

Rate this topic

Guest Jelme

I have not been studying Islam and Arabic for years now. I want to know the Shia Hadiths on physical appearance of Imam Mahdi. Like what will he look like? Why would Allah send Hadiths on his physical appearance? So we as Muslims should be looking for the Imam? and identify him.

I also want to know Sheikh Yasser al-Habib statements on the appearance of Imam Mahdi? How will Yassir habib identify the Imam? And people say “the Imam will not say he is the Imam”. So obviously we should be looking for the Imam. I assure you he is here now. What age will he be? Someone give Shia Hadiths on physical appearance.

thank you

• Veteran Member
On 12/1/2023 at 9:32 PM, Guest Jelme said:

I have not been The following link may be seen for hadith about Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) from sunni and shia sources:studying Islam and Arabic for years now. I want to know the Shia Hadiths on physical appearance of Imam Mahdi. Like what will he look like? Why would Allah send Hadiths on his physical appearance? So we as Muslims should be looking for the Imam? and identify him.

I also want to know Sheikh Yasser al-Habib statements on the appearance of Imam Mahdi? How will Yassir habib identify the Imam? And people say “the Imam will not say he is the Imam”. So obviously we should be looking for the Imam. I assure you he is here now. What age will he be? Someone give Shia Hadiths on physical appearance.

thank you

The following link may be seen for hadith about Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) from sunni and shia sources:

Wasallam

• Advanced Member
On 12/2/2023 at 1:02 AM, Guest Jelme said:

I also want to know Sheikh Yasser al-Habib statements on the appearance of Imam Mahdi? How will Yassir habib identify the Imam?

Salam he doesn't represent Shia community which he has weired beliefs that doesn't match with shia principles also he has not authority to identify Imam .

And people say “the Imam will not say he is the Imam”.

Acording to some narrations when he reappearas inshaAllah so then his status will be likewise presence of sun in noon in a clear sky however in some hadiths his physical appearance has been described for removing any doubt from heart of people . 

So obviously we should be looking for the Imam. I assure you he is here now. What age will he be?

It has been mentioned that he will look like a 40 years old man at his best physical condition although he has lived for a long time . 

• Advanced Member

IMAM MAHDI'S RESEMBLANCE TO PROPHET MUHAMMAD

According to some Hadiths, Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) is the most similar person to the Prophet (May Allah send blessings and peace upon him and his household). Jābir b. ˈAbd Allah al-Anṣārī (one of the sincere companions of the Prophet) reported from the Prophet to have said, The Mahdi is from my progeny, his name and patronymic is the same as mine. Among all the people he would resemble my characters, physically and spiritually.2

Ahmad b. Isḥāq b. Saˈd al-Qummī says that he heard Imam Hasan 'Askari have said, Thank Allah that He did not take me away from this world without showing me, my successor. He (my son, Mahdi) is closest to the Prophet in his features and character. ”3

Also, it is narrated from the Prophet to have said, He (Mahdi) most closely resembles me in appearance and behavior than all other people.4

Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (p. b. u. h) says, He (Mahdi) most closely resembles the Messenger of Allah in character, face, beauty, and appearance. ”5

https://wikimahdaviat.ir/en/content/maaref-mahdism/physical-descriptions-of-imam-mahdi-p-b-u-h-mahdi-emam-zaman/

• Advanced Member

What age will he be?

IMAM MAHDI'S AGE AT THE TIME OF HIS ADVENT

At the time of his advent, and despite his advanced age, Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) looks like to be a young man50 about forty years old at the time of his appearance.

Another sign is that the passage of time will not render him old, by the will of Allah, till such time that his life would end; so that the power of God may be known, and also there is a Divine examination for people; because of this, some believers turn away from Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h). 51

https://wikimahdaviat.ir/en/content/maaref-mahdism/physical-descriptions-of-imam-mahdi-p-b-u-h-mahdi-emam-zaman/

• Advanced Member

Someone give Shia Hadiths on physical appearance.

IMAM MAHDI’S PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

In accordance with Islamic narrations, some bodily features of Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) are as follows:

1. HEAD:

The Imam's head is proportionately large and round11, and there is a mole or mark on his head. 12

2. COMPLEXION:

He is handsome and brunet fair complexioned; his face is radiant like a shining star. 13 According to some narrations, he like the Prophet (May Allah convey His salutations and greetings to him and his household), has a reddish-white complexion14 because the Arab complexion is a mixture of red and white. His saintly whitish radiant face is due to keeping vigil at nights to worship Allah the Exalted the Glorified. 15

3. FACE:

The effulgence and the awe of Imamate is apparent in Imam Mahdi's face which is like a bright star. 16 His face is soft, and there is a beautiful black mole on his right check. 17

4. FOREHEAD:

Imam Mahdi's forehead is broad and luminous,18 and there is a mark of constant prostration on his forehead19 (the use of the word “mark” in the hadiths, instead of “mole,” suggests that the mark will be lighter in color than a mole).

5. NOSE:

The Imam's nose is fine and narrow with a slight protrusion in the middle. 20

6. MOLE:

He has two moles on his back; one is between his shoulders like the seal of the prophethood of the Prophet (p. b. u. t),21 and another with the color of his skin. Also, there is a mole on his thigh,22 and a mole on his cheek. 23

7. HAIR:

His hair is neither curly nor straight,24 and there are not any white hairs in his head and beard. 25 As a child, his hair was shiny, black, and curly falling over his shoulders. 26 According to the narrations, his hair color is not completely black, but it has a slight redness; of course, its blackness prevails over its redness. 27

8. EYEBROWS:

His eyebrows are thick28, close to one another, and curved crescent-like. 29

9. EYES:

Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) has round, black, large, and sunken eyes. 30 Perhaps his sunken eyes are due to keeping vigil and staying awake at nights to worship God. 31 Naturally, his beautiful eyes are like kohled eyelashes. 32

10. TEETH:

He has bright teeth, and there is appropriate space between his front teeth. 33

11. BEARD:

Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) has a short, copious, and thick beard. 34

12. PALMS:

The Imam's palms are large35, and there is a mark or mole on his right hand palm. 36

13. ABDOMEN:

He has a wide abdomen. 37 In his chest, a thin strand of green hair, not black, extends from under his throat to the navel. 38

14. THIGHS:

His thighs would be broad and his bones shall be long39 and there is a mole on his right thigh. 40 It shows that the thighs of the Imam are muscular and thick, which indicates the physical strength of the Imam.

15. KNEES:

His knees, because of their greatness and largeness, tends to be fallen appropriately. 41

16. SHINS:

The Imam has thin muscular shins, which indicates his training. 42

17. POWER:

He is so strong that if he hits the biggest trees on earth, he would knock it down and if he shouts between the mountains, he would break its stones. 43

18. HEIGHT AND BODY:

He is a well-rounded man with an average body44; his stature is that of the men of the Children of Israel, firm and robust. 45

19. SHOULDERS AND SCAPULA:

His shoulders are wide46 and stout47; and he has a mark on his back between his shoulders; and under his left scapula, there is a mark resembling a leaf in shape like the leaves of the "Myrtle"48 tree. 49

IMAM MAHDI'S PHYSICAL TRAITS IN HIS EARLY CHILDHOOD

A few people had succeeded to visit Imam Mahdi (p. b. u. h) during his childhood; For example, Ḍaw b. Ali, a man from Fars- Iran, in the course of narration, quotes some of the characteristics of the Imam's childhood, . He (Imam Mahdi) was a white fair-complexioned boy . 9

Ya'qūb b. Manqūsh says, I went to Imam Hassan ˈAskarī. On the right side of the Imam, I saw a room with a curtain hanging on its entrance. I asked the Imam as to who was the Master of the Age i. e. the next Imam. Imam ˈAskarī replied, 'Raise the curtain!' When he raised the curtain, a boy appeared and came and sat on the Imam's lap. The boy seemed to be at age eight to ten; with a sparkling forehead and white complexion, big black piercing eyes, and two broad shoulders. He had a black mole on his right cheek, and his hair was over his shoulders. He sat on the knee of his father Abu Muhammad al-ˈAskarī. Then, Imam ˈAskarī said to me, 'This is your master. ”10

• Advanced Member

RESEMBLANCE TO PROPHET MOSES, PROPHET JESUS, AND IMAM AL-ˈASKARĪ

Imam Riḍā quotes from the Prophet to have said, He (Mahdi) resembles me and prophet Moses.6

He (Mahdi) most closely resembles Jesus the son of Mary, in his disposition, face, dignity, and awe. ”7

In another narration it is said that Imam Mahdi would bear a striking resemblance to his honorable father Imam Hassan al-ˈAskarī. 8

2. Bodily Characteristics
Abu Basir said: I said to Imam as-Sadiq (‘a): “I have heard from your father that the Imam of the Time (‘عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) has a broad chest and wide shoulders.” He (‘a) said: “O Abu Muhammad! My father tried on the armor of the Prophet (S) but it was so big for him that it would touch the floor. I also put it on but it was too large for my stature. That armor is as appropriate and fitting for Hadrat al-Qa’im (‘عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف) as it was for the Prophet (‘عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف). Its lower portion is short to the extent that anyone who saw it would think that they have formed a knot around it.”[229]
Riyan ibn Salt said: I asked Imam ar-Rida (‘a): “Are you the master of this affair?” He (‘a) replied: “I am the Imam and master of the affair but not the master of the affair who will fill the earth with justice and equity at the time when it would be full of oppression and injustice. How could I be the master of that affair when you can see my physical limitations?
Hadrat al-Qa’im is he who, at the time of his advent, will be of old age but he will look young. He will have a strong and well-built body such that if he would extend his hand toward the largest tree, he would be able to uproot it; if he shouted across the mountains, the rocks will crack and be pulled up. He will have the staff of Musa (Moses) (‘a) and the ring of Sulayman (Prophet Solomon) (‘a).”[230]

• Advanced Member

Imam Mahdi’s (عليه السلام) Youthful Appearance despite Lengthy Life

Ali Teymoori November 29, 2017 Fiqh & SociteySociability & Relations

According to the authentic narrations, Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) will reappear as a young man, despite having lived for over a thousand years. So how can this be? How is it possible to live for such a long period? And how can he live long yet not age physically?

This paper is going to address these questions on the basis of the ayahs of the holy Qur’an and authentic Hadith.
First Story:
In the holy Qur’an, we find the story of the Companions of the Cave (“As’hab al-Kahf”). We find verses stating that upon awakening from their sleep,

Second Story:
The holy Qur’an also mentions the account of Prophet Uzair. When he questioned Allah on the process of resurrection, Allah asked him what he was holding in his right and left hands. He fell asleep and when he woke up Allah asked him about the duration of his sleep. He responded with the same answer as the “As’hab Al-Kahf” – one full day or half a day.

How will [..................] identify the Imam?

Contrastingly, according to narrations, we find there will be people who reject the Imamate of Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) when he returns due to the time and age paradox. Thus by analyzing the Qur’anic ayahs and hadith, we understand the possibility of this phenomenon. These indicate how different changes can take place in one event. The main idea here is the preservation of time and its control.
What we must understand is that Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) has been given the titles of the Timeless Imam or Imam of the Time (Imam-e Zaman, Wali al-Asr). These attributes indicate that time is in his hands, by the Will of the All-Wise Allah.

It is mentioned in the holy Qur’an that the People of the Book will recognize the Prophet of Islam “Those whom We have given the Book recognize him just as they recognize their sons, but a part of them indeed conceal the truth while they know. (2:146)
This ayah is also a figurative reference to the recognition of Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام). When he reappears, people will recognize him in the light of the descriptions given by the Prophet (“as they recognize their own sons”). Despite this however, some people will still deny him.

The Hadith narrated from the Prophet of Islam say Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) will reappear with Prophet Jesus (عليه السلام) and they will face the antichrist. The Hadith detail his morale and the activities that he will engage in. In short, the attributes of the Imam are clearly outlined and done so with the purpose of his easy recognition.
For example, the Prophet refers to marks on the body of the Imam such as a Mole, or a Mark, a Sign or a Seal and likens these to a Leaf, Pearl or a Star. Imam Mahdi’s (عليه السلام) complexion, hair, beard, colour, stature, build, the general outline of his face, the shape of his head and forehead and features such as his eyebrows, nose and teeth are also mentioned in the astounding detail. A Hadith from the Prophet says: “The Mahdi will have a Black Mark on his Right Leg.”

http://ijtihadnet.com/imam-mahdis-youthful-appearance-despite-lengthy-life/