In the Name of God بسم الله

Anyone from London?

Rate this topic

Ani

• Advanced Member

Alsalam alaikum, 

I recently moved to London from north of England. I have no family or friends around. So I am looking for some friends i guess. Female friends obviously.  This seems like a desperate call but I don't even have a job currently and have been visiting around alone and at the end of the day it kind of seems useless and lonely. So if anyone knows about any events or anyone willing to meet up in London. Posting this here because I kind of trust this communty so much as we all share the love for Ahlul bait (عليه السلام).

• Advanced Member
On 11/17/2023 at 7:16 AM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Wasalam, even in this community always good to be cautious, which is why it is safer to go to a center. Unless you have known the user here for a while and have done a quick reference check.

But yeah, thank you

• Advanced Member
On 11/17/2023 at 5:46 AM, Ani said:

Alsalam alaikum, 

I recently moved to London from north of England. I have no family or friends around. So I am looking for some friends i guess. Female friends obviously.  This seems like a desperate call but I don't even have a job currently and have been visiting around alone and at the end of the day it kind of seems useless and lonely. So if anyone knows about any events or anyone willing to meet up in London. Posting this here because I kind of trust this communty so much as we all share the love for Ahlul bait (عليه السلام).

Wasalam,

I'd advise going to the mosques and centres and volunteering and seeing if you can meet sisters in this way.

As for online, honestly maybe join a sister only FB group.

Guest GuestLondoner

Hey salam Ani, happy to chat/meet - i am a sister - but the only problem is not sure how to go about it for obvious reasons. Frustratingly, I wish Islamic Centre was still around as that would be my first recommendation.

Anyway here are a few suggestions that may be helpful iA:

Reach out to people where you used to live maybe they can reach out to any of their contacts here?

I’d recommend you visit some of the mosques close to where you are living now or call ahead and ask to speak to a sister in the ladies committee - explain you’re new in town, i’m sure they would invite you to the mosque to meet and introduce you to people - or guide you better. Also lots do Thursday night programmes so if you prefer to chat in person or can’t get hold of anyone over the phone - attend a Thursday night programme if it’s convenient for you and then seek someone out from the ladies committee - or get chatting to the person next to you!

Here are a few suggestions:

Hujjat - Stanmore - North London (English)

Hyderi - South London (English)

Idara e Jaaferiya - South London (mostly Urdu and some English)

Sakina Trust  - East London (same as above)

Hussaini Islamic Centre - West London (same as above)

Personally I’d start with the first two as from experience they are more organised. 

Keep an eye out on social media for events by haraka hussainiya (north london), and lebanese youth foundation (north west) with Fatimiyyah (sa) coming up soon - (both usually in English or English and Arabic) 

It takes courage to reach out so well done for taking the first step, hang in there, iA you’ll meet a good group of friends but it will take you some time and effort. 

Pray that you find ‘your people’ soon, and best of luck with finding a job too :-).

walaikum salam.

• Advanced Member
On 11/18/2023 at 1:29 AM, Guest GuestLondoner said:

Hey salam Ani, happy to chat/meet - i am a sister - but the only problem is not sure how to go about it for obvious reasons. Frustratingly, I wish Islamic Centre was still around as that would be my first recommendation.

Anyway here are a few suggestions that may be helpful iA:

Reach out to people where you used to live maybe they can reach out to any of their contacts here?

I’d recommend you visit some of the mosques close to where you are living now or call ahead and ask to speak to a sister in the ladies committee - explain you’re new in town, i’m sure they would invite you to the mosque to meet and introduce you to people - or guide you better. Also lots do Thursday night programmes so if you prefer to chat in person or can’t get hold of anyone over the phone - attend a Thursday night programme if it’s convenient for you and then seek someone out from the ladies committee - or get chatting to the person next to you!

Here are a few suggestions:

Hujjat - Stanmore - North London (English)

Hyderi - South London (English)

Idara e Jaaferiya - South London (mostly Urdu and some English)

Sakina Trust  - East London (same as above)

Hussaini Islamic Centre - West London (same as above)

Personally I’d start with the first two as from experience they are more organised. 

Keep an eye out on social media for events by haraka hussainiya (north london), and lebanese youth foundation (north west) with Fatimiyyah (sa) coming up soon - (both usually in English or English and Arabic) 

It takes courage to reach out so well done for taking the first step, hang in there, iA you’ll meet a good group of friends but it will take you some time and effort. 

Pray that you find ‘your people’ soon, and best of luck with finding a job too :-).

walaikum salam.

Thank you so much.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Ahlul Bait AS reward you for your kindness.

I just saw your post.

Thank you for listing out everything, but I will not lie to you; it is going to take me a long time to gather courage and contact any of these or to get there.

But do people actually do what you suggested or will I be looked as weird for asking to be introduced for having no friends or connections. 

But thank you so much for your reply.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Ani said:

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Ahlul Bait AS reward you for your kindness.

Sorry to step in here, and not to be nit picky at all, i'm glad the sister has managed to give you excellent suggestions!

I would just say i'd revise this line to 'May Allah reward you, and for the sake of the ahlulbayt also grant you more' etc. It isn't the Ahlulbayt who reward us, as they are servants of Allah and only Allah grants Duas/controls our fates/gives.

This probably what you meant! Don't feel the need to reply to this btw, just a suggestion.

• Forum Administrators
13 hours ago, Ani said:

But do people actually do what you suggested or will I be looked as weird for asking to be introduced for having no friends or connections.

They are all very reasonable suggestions. 

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, In Gods Name said:

Sorry to step in here, and not to be nit picky at all, i'm glad the sister has managed to give you excellent suggestions!

I would just say i'd revise this line to 'May Allah reward you, and for the sake of the ahlulbayt also grant you more' etc. It isn't the Ahlulbayt who reward us, as they are servants of Allah and only Allah grants Duas/controls our fates/gives.

This probably what you meant! Don't feel the need to reply to this btw, just a suggestion.

Oh thank you for your suggestions.

I have been granted so many things from Ahlul Bait AS. Of course it all comes from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it is God who created them and everything else.

• Advanced Member
55 minutes ago, Ani said:

Oh thank you for your suggestions.

I have been granted so many things from Ahlul Bait AS. Of course it all comes from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it is God who created them and everything else.

It is more proper to ask Allah for the sake of Muhammed and ale Muhammed.

I'm sure you never make Dua to the Ahlulbayt directly, but rather ask Allah for their sake.

Dua is a way to worship and build connection to the creator, and the best form of worship according to the Imams.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, In Gods Name said:

It is more proper to ask Allah for the sake of Muhammed and ale Muhammed.

I'm sure you never make Dua to the Ahlulbayt directly, but rather ask Allah for their sake.

Dua is a way to worship and build connection to the creator, and the best form of worship according to the Imams.

In Pakistan it is very common to say "Ya Ali Madad" and not just for shia ppl but in Sunnis as well.

It means "Help me Ya Ali" to ask help from Imam Ali AS directly.  

That's my perspective.

• Advanced Member
54 minutes ago, Ani said:

In Pakistan it is very common to say "Ya Ali Madad" and not just for shia ppl but in Sunnis as well.

That's my perspective.

Yeah that's kufr

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Guest To you said:

You agree that saying ya Ali madad is kufr? Do iraqis say this as well?

I don't believe saying it is kufr, more the meaning behind it that some believe, like imam Ali helping you directly.

And nah I don't say it and never actually have used the phrase. Its not even grammatically correct saying it like that.

Edited by laithAlIRAQI

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Ani said:

That's my perspective.

Yes, this is why it's dangerous. Because if you have the wrong intention many of the scholars say it can be shirk.

Basically, only Allah can grant Dua. Imam Muhammed al Baqir  has said Dua is worship, as has Allah in the Quran.

Dua is basically a way for you to connect and get close to your creator.

Now of course, Allah has created different means to get closer to him. Our prayers are a waseelah. Our fasts are a Waseelah. Salawat on Muhammed and his family (asws) are a waseelah.

But if we want the Waseelah of the Prophet and his family, we should ask Allah the way they advised us to ask, but include 'O Allah for the sake of Muhammed and ale Muhammed'.

Here's a really good video:

• Advanced Member

@In Gods Name I understand.  What do you mean wrong intentions?

Intentions is everything and only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is aware of every existing humans intentions. So I think we can leave it to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to judge. Because it doesn't matter how we pray or the words we use. All that matter is what is in our hearts and mind and only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows that.

But I do understand your point of view and what you are trying to explain. 

Do not worry, I believe only in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

There is a saying from a poet that says if I have to choose between love and Imaan...I would choose love. Because everybody is seeking Imaan. But loves level is higher than the level of Imaan. So may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) keep our love for him and the Ahlul Bait AS alive. Ameen Inshallah. 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

I don't believe saying it is kufr, more the meaning behind it that some believe, like imam Ali helping you directly.

And nah I don't say it and never actually have used the phrase. Its not even grammatically correct saying it like that.

Let me explain when and how it is used. I grew up in a Sunni household. The phrase "Ya Ali Madad" is used mostly in India-Pak when doing something that require courage and force. So Sunnis know about Imam Ali AS being the best of warriors and them having inhuman power/force because they lifted the door of Khaiber. So whenever doing something hard that requires courage they say "Ya Ali Madad" to recall the same help of Allah that helped Imam Ali AS. It was from ghaib. And ghaib is from Allah. It's all from Allah. So whenever someone says "Ya Ali madad" they are actually asking help from the God of Imam Ali AS to help them and give them strength as they helped Imam Ali AS.

That is another argument that no one can understand Imam Ali AS except Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Prophet Muhammad SAWW.

This beautiful and magical sermon by Ammar Nakshwani gives us an idea about levels of existence of Imam Ali AS for who can understand.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SO SOLID SHIA said:

went into the store to fetch some washing detergent, came out being accused of shirk.

You didn't say 'Ya store-clerk aghithni', did you!!? 

Or did you mistake the salesgirl for the store manager? That's ghuluw as well. 

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

Once you go home, and sit on your prayer mat my dear brother, would you call out to the store clerk who provided you with groceries, and them pray to/make Dua to her for Risq and health, wealth, and children?

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, In Gods Name said:

Once you go home, and sit on your prayer mat my dear brother, would you call out to the store clerk who provided you with groceries, and them pray to/make Dua to her for Risq and health, wealth, and children?

It was a joke. 

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

It was a joke. 

My dear brother, something that could turn any good deeds we do to dust and consign us into eternal torment is serious man.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

I've actually mistaken the store manager for a salesgirl many times. Is that like reverse shirk? I guess it goes either way