In the Name of God بسم الله

Najasah transfer blood and water

Rate this topic

zizi_00

• Basic Members

Assalamu alaikum,

The rulings around najasah, especially around the household,is something I've been struggling with my whole life and feel ashamed to ask such questions to my family members since they always scold me for it. Just this week I happened to make two imes the mistake in a row of maybe transferring najasah all around the house. I once stepped out of the shower with wet feet which is relevant by what I have to say next. 

A few hours later I saw little blood specks on my underwear (presumably from shaving) which I thought I had clearly washed it away the whole time. This made me question whether I have now made the whole 2nd floor of my house najis, and whether the people who showered after me have made the najasah worse, I was getting sick nervous and was too scared to assume the worst. I just thought to myself okay, the water that came in contact with the open wounds may have not reached my feet at all so I should be good (mind you I had absolutely no idea). 

Then this morning this I tried to wash out the blood from my sleeve (blood from my cold, so blood and snot combined). I tried to wash it twice to three times so I would at least get rid of the redness. The washing machine was a floor up so I folded my shirt and carefully but hurried my way upstairs to toss it in the washing machine as soon as possible. To my surprise I then saw a track of water droplets all over the floor and the stairs. I was so scared, upset and downright disappointed at myself, cause the whole time I thought I was careful compared to all the other times my whole life, but even then it didn't play in my favor. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sistani wrote in his website that Human blood is exempted when it amounts to the size of a dirham if it is not menses blood, but is that ruling completely dismissed when water is involved? Has the najasah become much worse?

I need an answer ASAP cause this makes me think that I've just made the whole house najis for years and years of clumsy mistakes despite trying hard to prevent them.

• Basic Members
4 minutes ago, zizi_00 said:

Assalamu alaikum,

The rulings around najasah, especially around the household,is something I've been struggling with my whole life and feel ashamed to ask such questions to my family members since they always scold me for it. Just this week I happened to make two imes the mistake in a row of maybe transferring najasah all around the house. I once stepped out of the shower with wet feet which is relevant by what I have to say next. 

A few hours later I saw little blood specks on my underwear (presumably from shaving) which I thought I had clearly washed it away the whole time. This made me question whether I have now made the whole 2nd floor of my house najis, and whether the people who showered after me have made the najasah worse, I was getting sick nervous and was too scared to assume the worst. I just thought to myself okay, the water that came in contact with the open wounds may have not reached my feet at all so I should be good (mind you I had absolutely no idea). 

Then this morning this I tried to wash out the blood from my sleeve (blood from my cold, so blood and snot combined). I tried to wash it twice to three times so I would at least get rid of the redness. The washing machine was a floor up so I folded my shirt and carefully but hurried my way upstairs to toss it in the washing machine as soon as possible. To my surprise I then saw a track of water droplets all over the floor and the stairs. I was so scared, upset and downright disappointed at myself, cause the whole time I thought I was careful compared to all the other times my whole life, but even then it didn't play in my favor. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think Sistani wrote in his website that Human blood is exempted when it amounts to the size of a dirham if it is not menses blood, but is that ruling completely dismissed when water is involved? Has the najasah become much worse?

I need an answer ASAP cause this makes me think that I've just made the whole house najis for years and years of clumsy mistakes despite trying hard to prevent them.

I forgot to mention that Sistani said that the blood shouldn't be greater than a dirham if I remember it correctly, so a little less than 2 cm diameter. That and I double checked my sleeve in the washing machine as saw an orange speck that's less than the size of a sesame seed. Does that still count as najasa despite washing it twice at least.

Guest Brother

Walaikum Assalam,
This response won't give an answer to the questions you have but can help with regards to the waswasa.
I received the following advice from a Sheikh I spoke to regarding my waswasa with wudu and salaat. He said, a contributing factor to waswasa is not having the correct understanding of the jurisprudential rulings, for example, what to do if I have doubt in the third rakah of my salat and so when it did happen I did not know what to do and end up having to repeat the wudu or salah. In your case, you're not sure what to do in the above situations. Knowing what you should do in x situation would you give you no doubt as you know what to do.

The Sheikh said I needed to have personal sessions with a local Sheikh so that he can clarify all the rulings I need to know, hence when a certain situation arises, I know how to move on with it. He mentioned, that I can go on forums or ask for help anonymously (which is what I did) however, in the long run it would not help as much as actually having a Sheikh walk you through it in person. I understand it might be embarrasing but if we dont solve waswasa issues as early as possible, it can tear us apart very quickly, like it did me a couple of times. Being honest with the Sheikh will help him understand how to go about helping you, take steps with you so the waswasa should not come up again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members
On 11/12/2023 at 5:46 PM, zizi_00 said:

Assalamu alaikum,

salaam.

the main rule in impurity is  you have to be sure that smth is impure but if you you're not it's pure:

((Ruling 115. There are three ways to establish the impurity of an object:

1. one is certain, or is confident by rational means, that the object is impure. If one only supposes (i.e. has a ẓann) that an object is impure, it is not necessary for him to avoid it and it is ruled to be pure. Therefore, there is no problem in eating in public places, restaurants, and guesthouses where the people who eat there are unconcerned about religious matters and who do not observe laws relating to what is pure and what is impure, as long as one is not confident that the food brought to him is impure.......( https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2137/ ).))

((Ruling 117. An impure object about which one doubts whether it has become pure or not is impure. And a pure object about which one doubts whether it has become impure or not is pure. Even if one is able to know whether the object is really impure or pure, it is not necessary for him to investigatehttps://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2137/ ).)) 

according to what you said about the first situation I think we really can't say that impurity spread all over the house maybe after some minutes you started bleeding not at the moment you were coming out of the bathroom or as you mentioned maybe your feet were dry or even if  they were wet maybe the blood didn't flow on your body (if your body is wet and you have blood on it until the water didn't flow on wet part of your body you just need to wash the blood not the whole wet part) and there are other possibilities. so according to what you said i think it's pure. ...... about the second one I couldn't understand the situation clearly but if you're not sure about najasah just leave it and stop thinking about it.

there are 3 important points :

1.if you doubt more than  most other people  about purity and najasah you have not to care about your doubts. and if you make sure that smth is impure more than other people which is not normall  you even have not  to care about that (except the ones you know if you ask smone else he will definitely  say it's impure too). i couldn't find the EN question in website about najasah. but here is the q&a about doubt in other staff:

((Question: If a person has a lot of doubts in Wudu’, Prayer, Ghusl etc. what should he do?

Answer: He should not pay heed to his doubts and keep on considering it as valid (Saheeh).( https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01168/ )))

and the q&a specifically about nejasah in persian: https://www.sistani.org/persian/qa/01082/

2. no need to investigation:

((Ruling 117. An impure object about which one doubts whether it has become pure or not is impure. And a pure object about which one doubts whether it has become impure or not is pure. Even if one is able to know whether the object is really impure or pure, it is not necessary for him to investigate( https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2137/ ).)) 

3. as I experienced if you doubt too much it really helps if you can ask smone else about the situation. smone who doubts normally.

and about your question. the blood is impure even if it was less than a dirham. but lots of marji's  say its ok to pray when you have blood on your clothes or body if its less than a dirham and its not menstrual blood but it's still impure and najis. here the link of ayat-allah sistani's website about conditions of clothe in prayer:

CASES WHEN IT IS NOT NECESSARY FOR THE BODY AND CLOTHING OF SOMEONE PERFORMING PRAYERS TO BE PURE = https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2221/

and for more information you can refer to these too:

HOW A PURE (ṬĀHIR) OBJECT BECOMES IMPURE (NAJIS) = https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2138/

CONDITIONS OF CLOTHING WORN BY SOMEONE PERFORMING PRAYERS = https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2220/

• Advanced Member

Salams, akhi. Even by the most conservative traditional understandings, this scenario you describe does not cause problems. I think you have some misconceptions about traditional concepts of taharat. 

Interestingly, you reference a relevant traditional view held by Sistani. A speck or tiny spot of bleeding does not present an issue for taharat. It has to be a substantial amount where it’s, practically speaking, becoming a matter of hygiene. The dirham criteria you mention. 

That size of bleeding would not even make your clothes invalid for praying, traditionally. 

Moreover, if you were in the shower, with forcefully flowing (Kurr-equivalent) water, even if you were bleeding more significantly from your torso area, that wouldn’t carry over to make your feet unclean. Because, again, the flowing water is considered as equivalent to kurr water. So no, for two separate reasons, your feet did not become najis and you did not make the bathroom, let alone the whole floor, najis. 

Religiously, worries like this fall under the category of baseless doubts. The religion is not supposed to be this hard and nerve-wracking. Traditionally, some would have tended to call doubts like this possibly some sort of waswas, as someone else alluded to. These ideas that the religion is this tricky to navigate can drive people away from the faith, because it makes the religion a source of stress and anxiety and paints an image that the Creator is almost actively out trying to catch us slipping. It’s misleading whispers. Or your mind playing tricks with you, if you prefer to think of it this way.

Another more modern and medical explanation for these sorts of intrusive thoughts could be OCD. Religious OCD is definitely a real phenomenon a lot of people struggle with, especially so with Muslims and taharat issues. I’m no doctor or psychologist, mind you, so don’t take that as anything resembling a “diagnosis.” Just putting that out there. 

• Basic Members
22 hours ago, G.S said:

about the second one I couldn't understand the situation clearly but if you're not sure about najasah just leave it and stop thinking about it.

Salam,

I understand the confusion. I meant the clothing were I had a bit of blood on it, tried to wash it out and tried to put it in the washing machine. However I saw that I still saw a speck of blood even after I tried to wash it off. I then saw water droplets on the floor that came from my clothing that was still soaking wet. I thought I had made my attic najis from my sweater that was wet and still had speck of blood on it.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, zizi_00 said:

Salam,

I understand the confusion. I meant the clothing were I had a bit of blood on it, tried to wash it out and tried to put it in the washing machine. However I saw that I still saw a speck of blood even after I tried to wash it off. I then saw water droplets on the floor that came from my clothing that was still soaking wet. I thought I had made my attic najis from my sweater that was wet and still had speck of blood on it.

Yeah. That scenario is 100.00% not an issue either. Blood stains are really hard to get out easily. Right up there with grass, oil/grease, grape juice, turmeric. That sort of thing. You just need to wash off any blood that is there as its own thing as a drop or clump of blood. Then rub in soap and water a bit if you don’t want a stain and then rinse and drain a few times. That’s all you have to do. You do normal pre-washer stain removal and run it through a washing machine you’re fine. Nothing to worry about. 

• Basic Members
On 12/10/2023 at 6:18 PM, zizi_00 said:

Salam,

it's pure then:

Ruling 164. An impure object does not become pure until the intrinsic impurity is removed from it. There is no problem, however, if the smell or colour of the impurity remains on it; for example, if clothing that has become impure with blood is washed with water and the blood substance is removed but the colour of the blood remains, the clothing is pure. And even if the colour of the blood could be removed by using a cleaning product, it is not necessary to do so. ( https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2141/ )