In the Name of God بسم الله

Clear cut , undeniable proof of following the Ahlulbayt above all else

Rate this topic

In Gods Name

• Advanced Member

In the name of Allah,

Bismillah,

Many Salafis have tried to paint hadith al-Thaqalayn as one that suggests merely looking after members of the Prophet. However, the Shia and many Salafi and Sunni scholars, including Ibn Taymiyyah, have explicitly said one can not escape from the declaration made at Ghadir Khumm i.e. Hadith al-Thaqalayn was delivered there, given the words are very clear and explicit.

The following ahadith has been graded Hasan Isnaad by al-Albani and al-Arnaut, and Saheeh Isnaad by ibn Hajar la-Asqanali in Sunan Abi Asim:

“The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: “I have left behind over you (al-Thaqalayn) that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray: the Book of Allah – one end of which is in the Hand of Allah and the other in your hands– and my Ahl al-Bayt” [2-3]

حدثنا سليمان بن عبيد الله الغيلاني، حدثنا أبو عامر، حدثنا كثير بن زيد، عن محمد بن عمر بن علي، عن أبيه، عن علي رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال :إني تركت فيكم ما إن أخذتم به لن تضلوا :كتاب الله، سببه بيد الله، وسببه بأيديكم، وأهل بيتي.

<>

Al-ṭabarānī and Al-Bazzār report the ḥadīth through Al-Hassan bin ‘Ubaidillah, from Al Qasim bin Hassan, on the authority of Zaid bin Thābit that: The messenger of Allāh said: “I am leaving behind among you Al Thaqalayn: The Book of Allāh the members of my household, and they shall not separate until they meet at the Ḥawdh."

Unfortunately, there are some brothers who have done excellent work against Ghuluw in Shia Islam, but i feel have thrown the baby with the bath water. It is clear that the Prophet explicitly told us to hold onto the Quran and Ahlulbayt as premier sources of guidance of his Sunnah. It is also clear the majority of Muslims have not held onto the Quran and Ahlulbayt, nor have they sought to seek out the verdicts of the Quran and Ahlulbayt. Rather, instead of the scholars of the Ahlulbayt, especially Muhammed al-Baqir, and Jaffer as-Sadiq, they have preferred Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik, Imam Ahmad b. Hanbal and Imam Shafi'i. There are also very few traditions of the Ahlulbayt and of their religious views and verdicts in Sunni works. There is almost a glaring deep silence in Sunni scholarship pertaining to the Ahlulbayt, which makes this command of the Prophet make absolute no sense because it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

Furthermore, the command of the Prophet appears to be a religious command. Therefore the Zaydi type mentality of only politically preferring the Ahlulbayt doesn't really make much sense, the Prophet has given them religious authority by calling them Thaqalayn, by telling us if we hold onto them we will never go astray and then by iron-clad sealing the deal by making it clear the Quran and Ahlulbayt will never deviate from each other. Thus it places the Quran and Ahlulbayt as complementary premier sources of guidance. 

Now, the Prophet wanted there to be absolutely no confusion. He uses three different techniques:

1. Using the word Thaqalayn to juxtapose and directly link the Quran and Ahlulbayt

2. Explicitly stating: "If you hold onto them you will never go astray"

3. Then completely iron-clad leaving no room for doubt by saying these two sources of guidance will never deviate from one another until they return to the Prophet in Janatul Firdaus at the pond of Kawther.

Furthermore, given how explicit this hadith is in linking our salvation to following the Quran and Ahlulbayt, this can not be a soft hadith about merely showing love to the family of the Prophet. This muttawatir hadith appears to so clearly give the Quran and Ahlulbayt an elevated status of guidance. 

How did Ibn Taymiyyah, al-Albani and major Sunni scholars interpret the above?:

The word 'Thaqalayn'

Imam Nawawi:”The scholars said: The two have been called Thaqalayn to show their ealtedness and the greatness of their importance. It has also been said that the word is used to show the heaviness of the (responsibility to) act by their instructions.”  Sharh Sahih al-Muslim, Vol. 15, p. 180

Al-Zamakhshari states: Jinn and man have been called the Two Weighty Things (i.e. Thaqalaan, as in Qur’an 55:31) because both of them dwell on the earth, and are actually the two most important beings on it. The Qur’an and the itrah have been likened to them because the good health and survival of the religion is dependent upon them, just as the survival of the earth is dependent upon the existence of jinn and man on it. ” Al-Faiq fi Gharib al-Hadith, Vol. 1, p. 150

Ibn Athir:” The two (i.e. Qur’an and Ahl al-Bayt) have been called Thaqalayn (i.e. the Two Weighty Things)because holding firmly onto them and acting by their instructions is a heavy (responsibility), and it is said that everything that is weighty is precious. The two have been called Thaqalayn in recognition of their authority and importance.”  Al-Nihayah fi Gharib al-Hadith, Vol. 1, p. 216

"If you hold onto them you will never go astray"

Al-Albani, one of the great modern day Sunni-Salafi scholars of Hadith : “What is specifically meant by the members of the household is the righteous scholars among them, who adhere to the Qur’an and Sunnah.  Imam Abu Ja‘far at-Tahhaawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The “family” are the members of his household (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) who adhere to his religion and follow in his footsteps. Conclusion: the mention, in this hadith, of the members of his household, alongside the Qur’an, is like the mention of the way of the Rightly Guided Caliphs alongside the Sunnah (way) of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) in the hadith: “I urge you to adhere to my way (Sunnah) and the way of the Rightly Guided Caliphs…” Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah (4/260).

"and they shall not separate until they meet at the Ḥawdh."

Ibn Taymiyyah:  “The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said concerning his family: “They and the Book will never be separated until they both come to him at the Cistern.” And he is the most truthful one, so this indicates that the consensus of the (Prophet’s) family constitutes proof. This is the view of a number of our companions, and it was mentioned by al-Qaadi in al-Mu‘tamad.” Source: Minhaaj as-Sunnah an-Nabawiyyah (7/395)

Al-Albani:  Interestingly, Al-Albani when discussing a version which has ‘Sunnah’ in place of Ahlulbayt, makes a very interesting admission:

“Rather, it is obligatory to consider the Book and the Sunnah as a single source, with no difference between them both, as indicated in the statement of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him: “I have been given the Qur’an and its likeness with it”, that is the Sunnah, and his statement:“Both shall never separate until they meet me at the Lake-Fount.” Abu ‘Abd al-Rahman Ahmad b. Shu’ayb al-Nasai, al-Mujtaba min al-Sunan (Halab: Maktab al-Matbu’at al-Islamiyyah; 2nd edition, 1406 H) [annotator: Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani], vol. 5, p. 153, # 2736]]

Ya Ahlus-Sunnah wal Jamaah, is this not absolutely clear? What happened to the Ahlulbayt? Caliph Umar threatened to burn down the house of Fatima as per the authentic hadith in the Mussanaf of Ibn Abi Shayban, Ali opposed Abu Bakr for six months as per Saheeh Bukhari and along with members of the Banu Hashim, the family of the Prophet, did not give their oath of allegience. Fatima was denied Fadak. Umul-Mumineen Aisha fought Ali despite the Quran commanding the wives of the Prophet to stay in their homes, in the battle of Jamal where scores Sahaba died. Mu'awiyah in his attempt to seek power, built a power base in Sham - ancient Syria. He then forced Hasan b.Ali into a peace treaty, he then employed nawasib governers in the very city of the Prophet. In medina itself, Mu'awiyah appointed Marwan b. al-Hakkam which Ibn Kathir and many sources attest cursed Ali in the Jummah Khutbah. To top it off, to remove any doubt about Mu'awiyahs intentions, he then appointed his drunk son, Yazid, and forced senior Sahaba to give Bayah. Imam al-Hussain and senior Sahaba saw Muawiyahs gradual plan of making a political power base in Sham, and despite his son being so unfit to lead, having ambitions to build a political Ummayad dynasty. And what did Yazid do? He led to the slaughter of many members of the Banu Hashim and family of the Prophet, and the decapitation of the head of the leader of the youth of paradise. 

Open your eyes. They all loved each other? They all had pure intentions? These were just unfortunate Ijtihadi errors, and they all were good friends in the end?

• Advanced Member

Consequences of not following the Thaqalayn

The Sunni world today, unfortunately, is in a complete state of disarray. As you read this, there are absolutely enormous divisions in Aqeedah starting in Tawheed itself.

You have three main groups of Aqeedah in the Sunni world - The Ashari's and Maturidis who are almost identical, and the Atharis.

The Asharis and Maturidis contend that many so-called Athari's are not true Atharis but are rather Mujasimma, and are guilty of anthropomorphism. 

The modern-day salafi movement claim that no, the Ashari's and Maturidis are actually victim of greek infiltration into Islamic literature and follow the views of Jahm. Safwan, and the Mutazilite pro-logic groups. They call them 'Jahmiyya' and deniers of the attributes of Allah.

<>

In Saheeh Bukhari itself, it states Allah will be recognised by his Shin, and he will uncover it. It claims Allah has fingers , and that Allah descends down from the sky. They also claim Allah is literally up above the throne i.e. is in space. They also claim he has a foot, and puts this foot into Hellfire. These ahadith in Bukhari, contradict with the traditions of the family of the Prophet who have refuted these claims.

Watch this video to see just how severe the damage is to Tawheed , and as a consequence in my view, of not following and adhering to the Thaqalayn as the premier sources of guidance:

• Advanced Member

No doubt in Shia books, there are some weird Hadith. But many of them are weak, or at least we have scholars refuting them, even if they are in the minority. However, ya Ahlus-sunnah Wal Jamaah, for all the Dhalala in our own books, one thing, which even the misguided Malangs and Akhbari and Ghulat of the Shia do not do, is bring Allah down to the level of creation.

We have major problems in modern day Shia Islam. Those who have spoken out against the Khurafat in our own books, such as major ulema i.e. Sayed Muhammed Hussain Fadallah, Sayed Kamal Hayderi, Shaykh Yasser Awdah, Shaykh Arif Hussain, Shaykh Farhat, have been vilified and abused by todays mainstream.

We accept, there is a lot of confusion, misguidance and Fitnah on both sides. 

But have you ever seen a group authenticate and stand by the following hadith?:

Allah has a foot

Bukhari :: Book 6 :: Volume 60 :: Hadith 371
Narrated Anas:

The Prophet said, "The people will be thrown into the (Hell) Fire and it will say: "Are there any more (to come)?' (50.30) till Allah puts His Foot over it and it will say, 'Qati! Qati! (Enough Enough!)'"

Allah has a shin

Bukhari: "...What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation..."

• Moderators
10 hours ago, In Gods Name said:

There are also very few traditions of the Ahlulbayt and of their religious views and verdicts in Sunni works. There is almost a glaring deep silence in Sunni scholarship pertaining to the Ahlulbayt, which makes this command of the Prophet make absolute no sense because it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

We need to always paint a picture that Sunnis represent those Muslims who were pro-ummayad and pro-khalifas (three khalifas) minus pro-alieds. All their narrations shifts heavily to that side and that is the truth. Sunnism do not represent at all Al-Thaqalayn, no matter how much they claim it does.

Furthermore, the command of the Prophet appears to be a religious command. Therefore the Zaydi type mentality of only politically preferring the Ahlulbayt doesn't really make much sense, the Prophet has given them religious authority by calling them Thaqalayn, by telling us if we hold onto them we will never go astray and then by iron-clad sealing the deal by making it clear the Quran and Ahlulbayt will never deviate from each other. Thus it places the Quran and Ahlulbayt as complementary premier sources of guidance. 

It is spiritual (main) and political together. If politically is not possible, then spiritual is always there.

Edited by Abu Nur

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, In Gods Name said:

No doubt in Shia books, there are some weird Hadith. But many of them are weak, or at least we have scholars refuting them, even if they are in the minority. However, ya Ahlus-sunnah Wal Jamaah, for all the Dhalala in our own books, one thing, which even the misguided Malangs and Akhbari and Ghulat of the Shia do not do, is bring Allah down to the level of creation.

We have major problems in modern day Shia Islam. Those who have spoken out against the Khurafat in our own books, such as major ulema i.e. Sayed Muhammed Hussain Fadallah, Sayed Kamal Hayderi, Shaykh Yasser Awdah, Shaykh Arif Hussain, Shaykh Farhat, have been vilified and abused by todays mainstream.

We accept, there is a lot of confusion, misguidance and Fitnah on both sides. 

But have you ever seen a group authenticate and stand by the following hadith?:

Allah has a foot

Bukhari :: Book 6 :: Volume 60 :: Hadith 371
Narrated Anas:

The Prophet said, "The people will be thrown into the (Hell) Fire and it will say: "Are there any more (to come)?' (50.30) till Allah puts His Foot over it and it will say, 'Qati! Qati! (Enough Enough!)'"

Worth seeing how the Christians are using these ahadith to completely mock Islam.

Here's a sensible Christian replying to Shaykh Uthman bin Farooq in the comments:

"A Foot is called a "foot" because it's a specific body part that primarily aids a being in walking. (it can also be used for other things) If Allah's "foot" cannot be imagined or even discussed and it's not a "foot" like anything in creation, then the word "foot" has no meaning anymore. It's like saying hey my Dad has a "Car" but it's a "Car" unlike any other car that you can Imagine and then when one is asked about the Engine or color of the car, the response is: "We don't talk about the Car. All I know is that my Dad has a Car that befits him".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Holding onto ahlul bayt doesn't prove anything about your sect. Zaidiyyah are also claimaints of being followers of ahlul bayt, they also take their religion from ahlul bayt. And they are better than you in following ahlul bayt, and better claimants than you of taking their religion from ahlul bayt. Their books are written by ahlul bayt, taken directly from ahlul bayt unlike you whose books are written by non hashmites such as kulayni, saduq, tusi, and takne from non ahlul bayt transmitters such as zurarah, abu baseer, yunus bin absur rahman and narrations of zaidiyyah are greatly similar to the narrations of ahlus sunnah. So hadith thaqalayn doesn't help you in any case.

• Moderators
On 12/1/2023 at 2:30 AM, hanbali said:

Holding onto ahlul bayt doesn't prove anything about your sect. Zaidiyyah are also claimaints of being followers of ahlul bayt, they also take their religion from ahlul bayt. And they are better than you in following ahlul bayt, and better claimants than you of taking their religion from ahlul bayt. Their books are written by ahlul bayt, taken directly from ahlul bayt unlike you whose books are written by non hashmites such as kulayni, saduq, tusi, and takne from non ahlul bayt transmitters such as zurarah, abu baseer, yunus bin absur rahman and narrations of zaidiyyah are greatly similar to the narrations of ahlus sunnah. So hadith thaqalayn doesn't help you in any case.

I always find how funny this is, it shows that Zaydiyyah truly are very close to Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah beliefs than us, something they hate to admit.

• Advanced Member
On 12/1/2023 at 4:00 AM, hanbali said:

Their books are written by ahlul bayt, taken directly from ahlul bayt unlike you

Salam name one of Zaydi books which has been written by  ahlul bayt which certainly you can't name one book because Zaydis also have strong agreement that their books has been written by their leaders also they are using all four main shia books which have been written by people likewise  kulayni, saduq, tusi also in similar fashion of Twelvers they believe to  hadith of Thaqalayn which according to them their leaders must be from Thaqalayn lineage although after Imam Hussain (عليه السلام)  they have  followed fallibel persons from his lineage as following lineage of Thaqalayn  which fallibel people from it have been considered just only as children of Lady Fatima (sa) which Zaydis don't count them as Ahlul Bayt. 

• Moderators
On 12/1/2023 at 1:30 AM, hanbali said:

So hadith thaqalayn doesn't help you in any case.

This wasn't the question though, brother. One can debate who does and doesn't follow the Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام), but the first logical step is to establish that they are indeed the sources of guidance after the Holy Quran and the  Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). 

• Moderators

While Thaqalayn is a very strong proof, it is not interpreted the same way by all Muslims, unfortunately. If it was, there would be no such thing as 'Shia - Sunni'. 

If brothers and sisters, from any mathahib want to know the truth, I think they should study certain books that have been written by our scholars such as 'Then I was guided' by Sheik Tijani 

https://www.al-islam.org/then-i-was-guided-muhammad-al-tijani-al-samawi

Peshawar Nights

https://www.al-islam.org/peshawar-nights-sayyid-muhammad-al-musawi-al-shirazi

and other books which build a case based on a collection of hadith on the subject that are accepted by both Shia and Sunni ulema