In the Name of God بسم الله

Rejection of Islam principles by a Muslim

Rate this topic

QasimiH

• Basic Members

Salam Alaykum

I have a question related to when a Muslim becomes najis by rejecting certain Islamic principles.

So according to Ayatollah Sistani:

Ruling 103. A person who does not believe in Allah or His oneness is impure. Similarly, the following are impure: extremists (ghulāt) (i.e. those who regard one of the Infallible Imams (ʿA) as Allah, or say that Allah has immanence (ḥulūl) in the Imam (ʿA)),[1] Kharijites (khawārij), and nawāṣib (i.e. those who display enmity towards the Infallible Imams (ʿA)). The same applies to a person who rejects prophethood or any one of the indispensable aspects of the religion – such as prayers (ṣalāh) and fasting (ṣawm) – if it is in a way that it amounts to refuting Prophet Muḥammad (Ṣ), albeit in a general manner. As for the People of the Book (ahl al‑kitāb) (i.e. Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians), they are ruled to be pure.[Click and drag to move]

The problem I am facing is that a close person to me has made some problematic statements concerning Islam. He says that some things arent wajib, like Salah, Hajj and Hijab. He also claims that some of the commandments and matters of fiqh in our Religion were in reality fabricated and not actually founded by the holy prophet. For example, if I remember correctly, he said that the "Iranian Akhund/Sheikhs" made Hijab wajib to oppress women or something similar lol. The thing is though, that he rejects these things because apparently he believes that people invented them and that the Prophet never preached them, or that some of the commandments were only meant for that time. For example, he thinks people had to fast back then as most Muslims lived in Arabia, but as Muslims started to spread around the globe, its not wajib anymore for those Muslims who for instance live in countries where the timezone makes fasting harder.

But then again, once he said in a gathering that the Taliban practised the "real Islam". This is one of the reasons why I am confused.

Something separate he once also said was something along the lines of that the holy Prophet and Imam Ali ((عليه السلام)) killed a lot of people and fought a lot of wars (and he said it in a rather negative tone ĺike some critics of Islam talk and call the prophet a warlords) I'm not sure if this counts as nasb (enmity towards the Imams). I think he got this influence from some youtuber he has been watching.

Despite this, he still says he is a Muslim and that Prophet Muhammad is our Prophet and such, and apparently accepts the 12 Imams (although this may sound contradictory).

Is he ruled to be najis because of these statements?

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, QasimiH said:

I think he got this influence from some youtuber he has been watching.

Salam surly he is under influence  of this Youtuber which such people accept such things  because they have weakness in faith & lack of knowledge which they try to learn something from a popular youtuber without examining his false claims which became astray  after a while which it doesn't make them Nasibi or Najis but it needs that you try to guide him by providing true information which if he has refrained from accepting truth so then you must abandon  him which his false beliefs wont affect you .

Certainly He has sent down to you in the Book that when you hear Allah’s signs being disbelieved and derided, do not sit with them until they engage in some other discourse, or else you [too] will be like them. Indeed Allah will gather the hypocrites and the faithless in hell all together (140)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/4:140

When you see those who gossip impiously about Our signs, avoid them until they engage in some other discourse; but if Satan makes you forget, then, after remembering, do not sit with the wrongdoing lot. (68)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/6:68

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam,

I think you are specifically referring to the last part:

The same applies to a person who rejects prophethood or any one of the indispensable aspects of the religion – such as prayers (ṣalāh) and fasting (ṣawm) – if it is in a way that it amounts to refuting Prophet Muḥammad (Ṣ), albeit in a general manner.

Two points to mention here:

A: From what you have mentioned, it seems that the person is blaming the scholars rather than the Prophet. More so, he himself agrees to believing in the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), so it doesn't seem like this criteria is triggered.

B: As for declaring someone a Nasibi, based on his Persian Tawdheeh, it appears that he says for someone to be a Nasibi, the hatred and animosity towards the Ahlulbayt needs to be shown and expressed. As such, Syed Sistani even considers some Kharijites to not be Kafirs (i.e., those Kharijites, who, despite following the Khariji Fiqh, do not have animosity towards the Ahlulbayt)

https://www.sistani.org/persian/book/26575/5570/

مسأله 126. غُلات، یعنی آنهایی که یکی از ائمّه(علیهم السلام) را خدا خوانده یا معتقدند خدا در او حلول کرده است و نواصب، یعنی آنهایی که نسبت به ائمّه(علیهم السلام) اظهار دشمنی و عداوت می‌‌نمایند، کافر محسوب می­شوند. همچنین، شخصی که به یکی از چهارده معصوم(علیهم السلام) از روی دشمنی و بغض، ناسزا و دشنام دهد، همین حکم را دارد

امّا خوارج دو نوع هستند، گروهی از آنان که نسبت به اهل بیت(علیهم السلام) اظهار دشمنی و عداوت می‌‌نمایند، جزء ناصبی‌ها به حساب می‌آیند و کافرند و گروه دیگر که دشمنی با اهل بیت(علیهم السلام) ندارند - هرچند به جهت پیروی از احکام فقهی خوارج، از آنان شمرده می‌‌شوند - کافر نبوده و پاک می‌‌باشند.

Food for thought:

You should really ask yourself: Is stating (a fact) that the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Imam Ali (عليه السلام). killed lots of people in a negative tone = to him being a "Nasibi"? Is that enough?

Syed Sistani even splits the Khawarij into two types and says the second group of Khariji's who, even after folllwing the Fiqh of Khawarij, if don't have animosity towards Ahlulbayt are not Kafir and hence not Najis.  This implies that Khariji, even though it is within their DNA to go against the Imam, don't always necessarily show animosity towards the Imam, and as such, can still be excluded from the list of being Kuffar.

On the note of Nawasib, interestingly enough, Syed Sistani uses the wordsاظهار. which means a display of one's feelings. In the Glossary of the English Translation of Tawdeeh as well, you will see that he says nāṣibī (sing. of nawāṣib) someone who shows enmity towards the Imams (ʿA). Syed Sistani didn't say one "who has enmity" is considered a Nasibi.

Parting thoughts:

Of course, you are the Mukallaf and need to decide what is right here, but I think you may want to reconsider / get more advice from people. Allahu Alam.

• Advanced Member
On 10/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, QasimiH said:

Is he ruled to be najis because of these statements?

Salam,

No one would stop you to keep treating him as a human being. He may have wrong beliefs but he still hold an important aspect for you, that is, he is a sign of God. Try your best to guide him to the truth if you can. 

(Antivenom)