In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Prophet Muhammad SAWW and Imams (عليه السلام). used to sacrifice animals every ei

Rate this topic

Guest Ani

Alsalam alaikum. 

Any ahadees regarding this matter?

Just trying to realize if it is Sunnah or where does this ritual comes from.

And I am not talking about people who perform hajj.

Thank you

8 hours ago, Guest Ani said:

Just trying to realize if it is Sunnah or where does this ritual comes from.

Sacrificing an animal is obligatory for all those who are performing the Hajj. 

Those who are not performing the Hajj, it is recommended for them to offer sacrifice according to most of the scholars of school of Ahlul Bayt عليهم السلام. 

As for the ahadith you are looking for, I am able to collect few of them as under:

رواه الصدوقُ في العلل بسندٍ معتبرٍ عن السكوني عن الإمام جعفر بن محمد عن أبيه، عن آبائه (عليهم السلام) قال: قال رسولُ الله (صلَّى الله عليه وآله): إنَّما جُعل هذا الأضحى لتشبعَ مساكينُكم من اللحمِ فأطعِموهُم

The Messenger of God (may God’s prayers be upon him and his family) said: This Eid al-Adha has been made so that your poor people may be satisfied with meat, so feed them.

علل الشرائع -الشيخ الصدوق- ج2 / ص437

قال الشيخ الصدوق في الفقيه: وضحَّى رسولُ الله (ص) بكبشين، ذبحَ واحداً بيدِه، وقال: اللهمَّ هذا عنِّي وعمَّن لم يُضحِّ من أهل بيتي، وذبحَ الآخر وقال: اللهمَّ هذا عنِّي وعمَّن لم يضحِّ مِن أُمتي"(

The Messenger of God ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) sacrificed two rams, slaughtering one with his hand, and said: “Oh God, this is on my behalf and on behalf of those of my household who did not sacrifice.”

وسائل الشيعة (آل البيت) -الحر العاملي- ج14 / ص205

رواه الصدوق في العلل بسندِه عن أبي بصير عن أبي عبدالله (ع) قال: قلتُ له: ما علَّةُ الأُضحية؟ فقال له: إنَّه يُغفرُ لصاحبِها عند أولِ قطرةٍ تقطُرُ من دمِها على الأرض، وليعلمَ اللهُ عزَّ وجلَّ من يتَّقيه بالغيب، قال اللهُ عز وجل: ﴿لَن يَنَالَ اللَّهَ لُحُومُهَا وَلَا دِمَاؤُهَا وَلَكِن يَنَالُهُ التَّقْوَى مِنكُمْ﴾

On the authority of Abu Basir, on the authority of Abu Abdullah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), he said: I said to him: What is the reason for the sacrifice?  He said to him: He forgives its owner at the first drop of its blood that falls on the ground, and that God Almighty knows who fears Him unseen. 

وسائل الشيعة (آل البيت) -الحر العاملي- ج14 / ص207

رواه الصدوقُ في العلل بسندِه عن شُريح بن هاني عن عليٍّ (ع) أنَّه قال: لو علِم الناسُ ما في الأُضحية لاستدانوا وضحّوا، إنَّه ليُغفرُ لصاحبِ الأُضحيةِ عند أولِ قطرةٍ تقطُرُ من دمِها"

On the authority of Ali (peace be upon him) that he said: If people knew what is in the sacrifice, they would have borrowed and sacrificed, and the owner of the sacrifice will be forgiven at the first drop of its blood.

Apart from these ahadith, sacrificing animal on the eid would also help us in training our offspring and getting them attached to the hajj which is obligatory on every Muslim who possess the required means. 

I hope this answer is helpful.

Wassalam!!

Furthermore:

وروى الصدوق قال: وكان أميرُ المؤمنين (ع) يُضحِّي عن رسول الله (ص) كلَّ سنةٍ بكبش .. ويذبحُ كبشاً آخر عن نفسِه

And the Commander of the Faithful ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) used to sacrifice a ram on behalf of the Messenger of God ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) every year ... and another ram for himself.

من لا يحضره الفقيه -الشيخ الصدوق- ج2 / ص489

As I am delving into this topic, it appeared to me that there are in fact multiple shahih narrations which are sufficient to prove the "istehbaab" of sacrifice on Eid ul Adha.