In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Shias believe in psychics, ESP (extra sensory perception) telepathy?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I think it's some sort of black magic or sorcery. And it's not just psychics, most people have acquired this ability. People, whom I meet at work, in my community, I would say everyone except for me has this ability. Sometimes, they seem to be taunting me about the power they have over me because they can read my mind. Other times, they act innocent like I am crazy and they don't know what I am talking about. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/2/2023 at 12:49 AM, Lion of Shia said:

What is the Shia View about psyhics,esp, and telpathy, is it possible thosepeople use jinns? What do ulema and scholars say?

They are different from each other which it is apotential in everyone which if peopel achieve to it through cleaning their heart by following islamic rullings & orders of Ahlubayt (عليه السلام) so therefore it has no problem but on the other hand if peopel achieve to it likewise Yogis in India through using Jinns 7 etc so therefore it's forbidden .

The speaker of Motahar Razavi shrine said: In addition to the five senses, there is a potential sixth sense in all humans, which is interpreted as insight and vision in Islamic traditions and is obtained in the shadow of sincerity.

Hojjat-ul-Islam Seyyed Mohammad Razavi Nasab, the speaker of Motahar Razavi Shrine this evening in the portico of Imam Khomeini ((رضي الله عنه).) stated: Man has five senses that he uses to communicate with the outside world. The sense of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch, which detects heat and cold, and roughness and softness, but scientists believe that there is a sixth sense that exists in all human beings in a potential way, and they have expressed solutions for it to be actualized.

He clarified: In the hadiths, this sixth sense is interpreted as insight and vision, the world outside of Islam states that this sixth sense is realized as a result of austerity and renouncing the demands reches from potential to  action r; Hence, it can be seen that in a country like India, ascetics have developed various methods to revive the sixth sense in the hot weather due to the sun.

The speaker of Motahar Razavi shrine said: Islam has forbidden this type of austerity, living in a cave, withdrawing from society, living in a cave, and the like are prohibited in Islam. Islam has its own spiritual austerity.

Hojjat-ul-Islam Razavi Nasab, referring to a narration of Imam Reza ((عليه السلام).) that was narrated from the Messenger of Allahd (p.b.u.h.), said that whoever makes himself pure for Allah for forty days and nights, the springs of wisdom that Allah has placed inside him , it flows from his heart on his tongue, the curtains will be removed and he says something that is beyond the expression of a normal person; In other words, if a person's speech, behavior, actions, food, and intention are for Allah, he will reach a stage where he performs an action and says a word that others cannot.

https://rasanews.ir/fa/news/235541/بصیرت-حس-ششم-انسان-است

• Advanced Member

1. Allama Tabataba'i's point of view: Allama Tabataba'i believes that some extraordinary things based on extra-sensory matters are achieved by the willpower of their owner. Will is subject to knowledge, and when there is knowledge and belief in effect, its effect will appear. Some other people also gain extrasensory perception through austerity (Tabatabai, 1393 lunar, pp. 245-242).

2. Martyr Motahari's point of view: Man can acquire extra-sensory perceptions by acting, by getting used to it, by exercising and austerity (Motahari, 1380 lunar, vol. 4, p. 522).

Extrasensory perception in verses and hadiths

The story of Prophet Yaqoob peace be upon him

The Qur'an has mentioned the story of Prophet Yaqub (peace be upon him) as an example to refer to extrasensory perception. He smelled the smell of his son Yusuf when the caravan carrying Yusuf's shirt left Egypt and was a few days away from his place of residence.

Considering that the Qur'an is silent about this [Yaqoub's miracle], and does not consider it as a miracle or a non-miracle, it can also be scientifically justified; Because today the issue of telepathy, the transmission of thoughts from distant places, is a definite scientific issue, which is established among people who have a close relationship with each other or who have extraordinary spiritual power (Makaram Shirazi et al., 1367, vol. 10 , p. 72; Qaraeti, 1383, vol. 10, p. 154). Therefore, smelling the smell of Yusuf (peace be upon him) by Yaqub (peace be upon him) from such a distance clearly refers to the phenomenon of sensory perception outside the framework of the senses (Najati, 1374, p. 88).

https://www.farsnews.ir/news/13940728001408/ادراک-فراحسى-در-آیات-و-روایات

• Advanced Member

The story of the throne of the Queen of Sheba

The Holy Qur'an narrates the story of the man who brought the throne of the Queen of Sheba from Yemen to Palestine in the following way: He said, قالَ اَلَّذِى عِنْدَهُ عِلْمٌ مِنَ اَلْکِتابِ أَنَا آتِیکَ بِهِ قَبْلَ أَنْ یرْتَدَّ إِلَیکَ طَرْفُکَ (نمل: 40) (Naml: 40); The one who had knowledge of the book (from the preserved tablet or from the heavenly books) said: I will bring it to you before your eyelids close or your eyes close. The Qur'an explains this matter to a type of knowledge, which is not the type of knowledge that certainly  this knowledge is not a kind of science which [someone] knows a law and then wants to act on it, but in any case, he knows that it is derived from a type of knowledge and faith . This verse is the proof that this extraordinary power exists in humans; According to the knowledge that man finds, not as some people say that human is useless (Motahari, 1380b, vol. 4, p. 496).

• Advanced Member

Examples in the life of the Holy Prophet, may allah bless him and grant his  progeny

Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) narrates a story from Haritha bin Nu'man Ansari during the time of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and his progeny which explains extra sensory perception very well : the Prophet, may Allah bless him and his progeny performed parayer with people in mosque  so he saw  a young man who was sitting, and sleep had overtaken him, his color was yellow, his body was thin, and his eyes were sunken in his head. The Prophet said to him: How are you? He replied: I have state of certainty. Hazrat was surprised by his answer and said: Every certainty has a truth; What is the truth of your certainty? The young man said: "I am certain that it has made me sad and despaired, robbed  sleep  from me at night, and brought hot days upon me while I was fasting and worshiping, so that my soul has gone out of the world and what is in the world, and it is as if my gaze It has fallen to the throne of my Lord that the creations have been raised and the creations have been assembled for the calculation, and I am also among them and it is as if I see the people of Paradise enjoying themselves in it, and they are engaged in commuting and talking with each other, and I seem to see the people of the fire who are tormented in the midst of it, and they are screaming, and I seem to hear the sound of the fire burning in my ears. The Prophet, may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his progeny , said: This is a servant whose heart has been enlightened by the light of faith, and then he said to that young man: Be steadfast in the situation you have (Kulaini, 1407 AH, vol. 2, p. 53; Majlisi, 1404 AH, vol. 7, p. 333). In this story, we see that the Prophet, may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his propgeny , confirmed Zayd's extrasensory perceptions.

There are many stories about extrasensory perceptions such as telepathy in religious books; For example,  the Holy Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and his progeny, when Najashi was in Abyssinia, he informed about the death of Najashi and said that now Najashi is dead and he has been shrouded, and I will pray for him from here, so that Everyone saw Najashi's body and the Prophet prayed over it (Motahari, 1380b, vol. 4, p. 491).

• Advanced Member

Sympathy from a distance
In some hadiths, an interesting reference has been made to this issue: Jaber Joafi asked Imam Baqir, peace be upon him: Sometimes, even though no calamity has befallen me or an unfortunate incident has happened, my heart is filled with sadness, in a way that the people around me understand. Imam (peace be upon him) said: Muslims are created from one truth and nature, therefore, believers are brothers to each other. As soon as a bitter incident happens to one of them, another one in another land and region becomes sad (Kulaini, 1379, p. 488).

Also, the Holy Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and his progeny, says in a hadith: Two believers who become friends for the sake of Allah become like one body, so that if one of them is uncomfortable with in one position of  his body , the other feels pain in the same position   (Karajaki, 1410 AH, p. 352; Majlisi, 1403 AH, p. 281; Nouri, 1408 AH, p. 217).

The author of the Nemouneh commentary writes in this context: Today, it has been proven that it is possible for a person's discomfort to be transferred to his friend through an intellectual relationship, and then that specific discomfort affects his body and makes the same organ uncomfortable (Makaram Shirazi, 2018). , pp. 147-148). Considering the proximity of the boundaries of extrasensory perception that was mentioned in the past, it is worth mentioning that this phenomenon can be considered a part of telepathic extrasensory perception.

• Advanced Member

Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) has explained  discovery and intuition in this way: When the human soul is removed from entertaiments and occupations, it can become aware of the truths of the world. Man can see the sights and even know about the past and the future. The main factor of sensual observations and awareness of the truths of existence is human's disconnection from paying attention to nature and natural life. Interruption is also sometimes achieved in the light of the occurrence of terrible things in life, sometimes through the possessions and hints of wali of Allah and the perfect human being, and also sometimes through the perfections of the soul for a person, in the light of which, sometimes a person is able to observe a part of the truths of existence. (Mousavi Khomeini, 1410 AH, p. 36).

• Advanced Member

conclusion

In the study of extrasensory perception from the perspective of psychology and Islam in this article, the following results are obtained:

1. The frequent citation of extrasensory perceptions in the opinions of capable thinkers - which was mentioned - and the pale examples that we have seen in life and its undeniable results, acknowledge that the existence of extrasensory perceptions is possible and cannot be considered an accident or an illusion. .

2. If the truth of all or some of the extrasensory phenomena is proven scientifically, rationally, or abstractly, it will not be ineffective in strengthening the foundations of faith and beliefs of many believers. As Prophet Ibrahim, peace be upon him, with all the faith and certainty that he had in the resurrection and revival of the dead, asked from Allah to implement it once for more assurance of his heart, and Allah answered his request (Baqarah: 259-260). . Even today, many people are faced with extrasensory perceptions. If these people accept its truth, they have overcome the limitations of the materialistic view and the originality of matter and the originality of matter and originality of nature are no longer valid for them, and in the light of that, they accept the survival of the soul and the afterlife.

3. The five senses and the intellect are tools that humans take help from in the field of perception and knowledge, but in many issues, they are not enough alone to achieve real knowledge; For example, they are not able to understand the issues that humans cannot understand with sense and reason. For this reason, the presence of extrasensory perception in humans is necessary.

4. Along with all the benefits of extrasensory perception that were expressed in the current research, this type of perception has limitations, obstacles and damages. therefore,

The pathology raised in extrasensory perception will be the basis for de-injury and cause the removal of possible abnormalities in the general process of extra-sensory perception, so that after pathology and de-injury, extra-sensory perception will be in a dynamic and correct path. will be done

5. The difference between illusion and extrasensory perceptions that arise from higher spiritual levels is that extrasensory perceptions have effects in the outside world that illusion does not have.

6. Extrasensory perceptions are learned and taught to others, but teaching and learning does not lead to miracles. Also, extra-sensory perceptions can come from anyone, whether they are unbelievers, sinners, or believers, but miracles appear only from the prophets and saints of Allah who are pure and righteous and the most worthy servants of Allah.

7. Examining the religious teachings, scientific and practical life of scholars and mystics indicates that extrasensory perceptions are known as a truth in Islamic sources and are considered the distinguishing feature of humans and other beings, and it is also possiblity to obtain high spiritual positions as one of reasons  of some perceptual phenomena.