In the Name of God بسم الله

Electric Cars

Rate this topic

How many of you drive / don't drive an electric car  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive an electric car ?

• I drive an electric car
    • A close family member of mine (mother, father, sister, brother,son, daughter) drives an electric car
    • I drive a gasoline (petrol) / hybrid. I am not planning on getting an electric car
    • I don't own / drive a car.
    • I drive a gasoline(petrol) / hybrid car. My next car will be electric.

• Advanced Member
On 6/3/2024 at 12:29 AM, Haji 2003 said:

Reminds me of my childhood

When I was growing up, the UK media used to run stories about how impoverished the Soviets were. We were familiar with Lada cars that only a few Russians could afford and which lacked basic functions.

How the world has changed!

There are many posts on social media, such as the one below, which illustrate the many features of Chinese-built cars that are not commonly found in British cars.

This car is very beautiful, I want one :cryhappy:

what brand is it?

• Advanced Member

Salaam, 

Just going to side bust and throw my nasty opinion out there but the more I see the way cars are developing with more dependence on computer systems digital things and taking away a person's ability to just think and operate basic functions such as closing a door and putting a seat up, it just really irritates me.. people think it's all good until something goes wrong with their car and then they've got to take it in and have some kind of electrical/computer work done on it.. thousands and thousands of dollars.. and for the electric vehicles having to replace a battery? Thousands and thousands of dollars.. and you can't do your own work on them which to me is a huge negative. Thousands and thousands of more dollars in mechanics fees at specialty shops because not every mechanic can work on these new cars. I also don't like the idea of being in a vehicle that I literally cannot just stop and refuel it wherever I want within a matter of minutes. This charging it for hours and hours thing and having to charge it overnight? Yeah that's just complete stupidity if you ask me. Very poor design. And I'm pretty sure you're driving around with a huge magnetic field all around you which if we don't know any better from the fact that living near power lines houses are much cheaper because it's danger to your health, I don't know what's going to get us to think right.

Cars were fine the way they were 20+ years ago. We don't need all these extra gadgets. 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, PureExistence1 said:

Cars were fine the way they were 20+ years ago. We don't need all these extra gadgets. 

While I agree with you on navigation and "autopilot", cars now are objectively much safer for drivers and passengers than they were 20 years ago.  

Pedestrians, on the other hand, are doomed. 

• Advanced Member

I just want to have a good quality car that can stay with me atleast 10 years. I am a person who do not like to buy a lot of new stuff. I still have my iPhone 11 and not planning to buy a new one unless it’s no longer work. 

I care about the environment too, I try my best to use eco friendly products, eat meat less, use planting but because I live with my family; I find it very difficult to do it. 

• Forum Administrators
6 hours ago, PureExistence1 said:

it just really irritates me.. people think it's all good until something goes wrong with their car and then they've got to take it in and have some kind of electrical/computer work done on it..

well...

According to exclusive BookMyGarage bookings data, an electric car service costs less than an ICE or hybrid car. We found that the average cost of an electric car service is £103. The average cost for a hybrid car service is £163, a petrol car service £151, and a diesel car service £163. 

https://bookmygarage.com/electric-vehicles/electric-car-service-cost/

Take the GBP price and multiply by 30% for the US$ value.

note ...

A mechanic has less to check on an electric vehicle service. This is down to several reasons, such as not needing any oil or fluids, and not having an exhaust, spark plugs or clutch, among other aspects. This also means that electric cars need less maintenance than ICEs.

The extent to which you or I will get a say in this might be decided in China.

I'll link to a piece in yesterday's FT soon (site won't load atm), but the specs of Chinese cars are being determined by Chinese consumers and once they have economies of scale, it'll be what we get offered.

Interesting geo-political/economic implications out of all this.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

A mechanic has less to check on an electric vehicle service. This is down to several reasons, such as not needing any oil or fluids, and not having an exhaust, spark plugs or clutch, among other aspects. This also means that electric cars need less maintenance than ICEs.

Salaam, this may be true, but it takes it away from the car owners ability to work on their own car if they choose to or financially need to do their uwn work therefore forcing them to have to take their car to a mechanic shop.

I know in my area, hourly wage for a mechanic is about $150. Then you have to look at the 40 to 50% markup of any parts that you need so unless you show up with parts on hand, you're going to have a markup of possibly 50% the cost of the actual part and many mechanics don't let you do that anymore anyway, because they want to make money off of the markup by providing the part for you. So I guess my main issue here is not liking the fact that I would have to take an electric vehicle to a shop and pay all this money to have it done whereas if my current truck has a problem with the spark plugs, I just pull them out clean them up, regap  or replace them, which I can do. I can pretty much do anything on my truck if I need to unlike any of these new electric cars if something goes wrong with their computer or digital system..

And im posting this video just for the fun of it. This guy is pretty cool, been around for a good probably  50 years. Originally started with a show on CBS... just a basic good mechanic. Has his own website, scottykilmer.com where you can ask any automotive question and either he or people from the community answer your questions. I've asked three questions on there so far and all of them have been directly answered by him.. he's a bit eccentric, but pretty good for any do it yourself auto mechanics out there.

(The video was worth watching to me with the exception of the few minutes where he rants about wind power-I watch his videos for the automotive knowledge, not opinions on wind power but I guess it's an easy jump to renewable resources and energies when you're discussing electric cars)

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, notme said:

While I agree with you on navigation and "autopilot", cars now are objectively much safer for drivers and passengers than they were 20 years ago.  

Pedestrians, on the other hand, are doomed. 

Salaam, saw this after reading your post...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/driverless-car-accident-sf.html

Edited by PureExistence1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, PureExistence1 said:

Salaam, saw this after reading your post...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/driverless-car-accident-sf.html

Driverless cars seems to me a really stupid idea.  There are already too many cars on the road with each person driving one.  Now they want to add in empty ones? What next - using computers to "create art"? 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2024 at 6:57 AM, notme said:

Driverless cars seems to me a really stupid idea.  There are already too many cars on the road with each person driving one.  Now they want to add in empty ones? What next - using computers to "create art"? 

There are a few reasons why they are not a stupid idea, IMHO. First, we have data that driverless cars, even with the current technology which is in its infancy, are safer than people driven cars. Driverless cars don't get angry, distracted, intoxicated, etc. They do malfunction and crash, but with the advances in technology this is getting less and less frequent.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/waymo-driverless-cars-human-drivers-safety/3403255/

I think in the near future, a strong case will be made that they are much safer than human driven cars and that argument will convince legislators to make them legal in every state and eventually every country. 

Second, driverless cars will simplify life for most people, provided that they are affordable in comparison to current cars. You could get in your car and work or sleep or socialize with friends and not have to concentrate on driving. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about car insurance, traffic tickets, etc. 

Driverless cars are obviously not a utopia and how useful they are to society will ultimately depend on the intentions of those who are developing the technology. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

I think in the near future, a strong case will be made that they are much safer than human driven cars and that argument will convince legislators to make them legal in every state and eventually every country. 

Yes, but they aren't ready yet.  

I can think of a scenario in which driverless cars would be an improvement; imagine not needing to own a car at all! Imagine every licensed driver being able to summon a vehicle whenever they need it, go where they need to go, then release it for someone else to use, virtually eliminating the need for parking and vehicle storage.  

But if they're just adding more into the already-too-many number of vehicles on the road, I'd rather try other, more beneficial technologies..

• Site Administrators
On 5/26/2024 at 9:33 AM, Haji 2003 said:

Build your dreams for US$9000

this car costs $9000, but US tariffs mean that it will sell for double that.

In the era of the Soviet Union, Western consumer goods were either banned or had very high tariffs. 
US now does what it accused others of doing.

The United States will say that the Chinese are 'dumping' cars, which have state subsidies in America. I can't understand why they then cannot have trade negotiations with the Chinese the way they do over Boeing vs. Airbus.

Of course, there is the parallel argument about China having the benefit of a massive internal market, which allows it to gain from economies of scale. That is true. But the US enjoyed that advantage post WW2 with its exports around the world.

The US is in a no-win situation. In the short term, either its consumers suffer or its industry does. In the long term will it end up like the Soviet Union? That would be a point where it simply gives up being protectionist and allows unfettered imports?

My friend has their flagship and he hates it. Selling it. But then again  he is used to german engineering and they know how to make cars.

• Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, root said:

My friend has their flagship and he hates it. Selling it. But then again  he is used to german engineering and they know how to make cars.

Sure BMW are safe for the foreseeable future.

But German owned volume manufacturer (at a low price point) SEAT could be in trouble. 

• Site Administrators
39 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Sure BMW are safe for the foreseeable future.

But German owned volume manufacturer (at a low price point) SEAT could be in trouble. 

Only safe bet is Japanese, damn cars outlive their owners

• Moderators
19 hours ago, root said:

Only safe bet is Japanese,

My son drives a Toyota that is older than he is.  In the two years that he has been driving it, it has needed work only once.  It gets decent fuel efficiency for station wagon too - not as good as a modern sedan but way better than most modern SUVs. 

• Forum Administrators
22 hours ago, root said:

Only safe bet is Japanese, damn cars outlive their owners

One of the features of the UK property market is that buyers irrationally favor gadgets over build quality.

Same might not apply to cars - but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Advanced Member
On 6/25/2024 at 4:26 AM, Abu Hadi said:

There are a few reasons why they are not a stupid idea, IMHO. First, we have data that driverless cars, even with the current technology which is in its infancy, are safer than people driven cars. Driverless cars don't get angry, distracted, intoxicated, etc. They do malfunction and crash, but with the advances in technology this is getting less and less frequent.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/waymo-driverless-cars-human-drivers-safety/3403255/

Second, driverless cars will simplify life for most people, provided that they are affordable in comparison to current cars. You could get in your car and work or sleep or socialize with friends and not have to concentrate on driving. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about car insurance, traffic tickets, etc. 

Driverless cars are obviously not a utopia and how useful they are to society will ultimately depend on the intentions of those who are developing the technology. 

Salaam, i dont know...seems to much autonomy being taken away. People are already skeptical about digital currency and the ability to eliminate peoples bank accounts for any reason. Remember the canadian protesting truck drivers whose accounts were frozen?

I imagine taking away someone's ability to travel when and where they want could also be infringed upon for different reasons.

I hope i dont live to see the days this stuff becomes a reality. Sure, it sounds great, but it doesnt appear we are moving towards more freedoms in the world, actually it appears quite the opposite.