In the Name of God بسم الله

Qazwini Scholar saying music is allowed as long as it doesnt promote haram

Rate this topic

Guest Curious muslim

Guest Curious muslim

I will post the link to the lecture below, it is 40-50 minutes long.
He argues that some maraji' have allowed music, even if its not 'classical music', as long as it doesnt promote or encourage haram or straying from God. He argues that the ahadith and verses against music were contexual and that music was generally associated with drunkards, belly dancers, etc., but that nowadays norms have changed and music isn't always like that. So he says that even pop songs can be allowed as long as they dont promote haram.

Which maraji agree with that view? He mentioned that some do have this view

• Moderators

Interesting about straying from God when in our modern era it manifest in everywhere from our own self to society. It is exactly in this era where music and entertainment are biggest factors that make us heedless of God, much more than the previous generations. But this itself does not make it nesseccery Haram of course. But I would never encourage it in the first place even if it is considered halal because mostly it will or can waste your thoughts and time when you can use it for dhikr of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in better way.

Edited by Abu Nur

Guest Psychological Warfare

Islamic instructions come in the format of Belief / Morals/Ethics and Law.  Shia's have role Models. So, things which are disputable --we can look at the life of the Ahlul Bayth(عليه السلام) and most issues will be resolved. 

For those who don't follow the role models. Ask yourself a question, does this (whatever it is ) support the purpose of Life, does it benefit me in becoming productive in this life ? Any social benefits ? pro's and con's and net advantage? Trying to figure out how to make something halal thru loopholes in fiqh, has been  a trend, it will backfire and people will move away from heavy reliance on fiqh. 

Most things are clear and indisputable- in disputable things with different opinion- I just look at the role Models. Simple and easy. Religion is not complicated.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Abu Nur said:

Interesting about straying from God when in our modern era it manifest in everywhere from our own self to society. It is exactly in this era where music and entertainment are biggest factors that make us heedless of God, much more than the previous generations. But this itself does not make it nesseccery Haram of course. But I would never encourage it in the first place even if it is considered halal because mostly it will or can waste your thoughts and time when you can use it for dhikr of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in better way.

People listen Music for sake of entertainment the self and because of this they don't comprehend the real nature of the music as manifestation of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and it will cause them heedlessness in his remembering. Music is played in Jannah because it will be understood and comprehend the manifestation of pleasent sound and voices that manifest God beauty thus in that music they will remember Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq ((عليه السلام).) was once asked as to whether there would be music and melody in Paradise, to which He replied, “In Paradise there is a tree, by the command of Allah when the breeze will shake it a sound will emanate from it, such that no man has ever heard such a pleasant and melodious tune. This blessings will be for the one who in the world kept away from (vain) music and songs because of fear of Allah.”

https://www.al-islam.org/last-journey-translation-manazil-al-akhirah-shaykh-abbas-qummi/paradise-jannat

Edited by Abu Nur

Guest European shia

I don’t want to hurt anyone but as someone living in Europe. I have to admit that in our continent usually people are really critical to who they chose to see as a “alim” or “scholar”. Nowadays in turned east to dress oneself up as a scholar and preach to the world. Someone that is carrying a specific last name doesn’t mean he is special compared to anyone else. In fact most shias of Europe don’t even want to be involved with western Islamic school of thought because it’s pretty much westernised and detouched from the rope  of ahlalbayt. Listening music has for ever been haram and this can be clarified trough Hadith and scientifically proven that it’s bad for the health. I don’t agree at all with the western School of thought with all due respect