In the Name of God بسم الله

Pious people

Rate this topic

hamz786

• Advanced Member

As Salamu Alaykum guys, 

Starting this thread out of inspiration from lecture of Brother Hussain Makke where he mentions how some of the most pious people can be unknown and amongst the common folk. Also inspiration from a hadith I read about from Imam Jafar al Sadiq (AS)(?) regarding how the true Shia of the Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) near the end of the Occultation are unknown and unassuming. 

So with that said, InshaAllah could some of you guys share your experiences, if you have had any, with a person who you thought was as close to piety as the Muslims of the past. 

• Advanced Member

Salam

Grand Ayatollah Mirza Sayyid Ali Tabatabai (Allamah Qazi)

He was born on April 29, 1866 in Tabriz, Iran

Sayyid Qazi was one of the most respected of the students of Hajj Mirza Khalili. He also learned refinement of morals in his presence. Sayyid Qazi was a gnostic, jurisprudent (faqih), and a man of a great stature. He also had divine inspirations and charisma.

Allamah Sheikh Agha Bozorg Tehrani wrote the following lines in his book Tabaqat al-A'lam al-Shi'a in his biography: "Sayyid Ali Tabatabai Tabrizi Qazi, son of Mirza Hussain, son of Mirza Ahmad, son of Mirza Raheem, is a scholar, a mujtahid, a man of piety and asceticism."

I befriended him and kept his company for scores of years, and I found stability in his style, youth in his nature and attributes, generosity in his own self and in his nature. He wrote an exegesis of the Qur'an which starts from the beginning of the Qur'an and ends with the ninety-first verse of Surat al-An'am: 'Say: Allah, then leave them to play around in their impious gossip.'". As for his father, he, too, wrote an exegesis of the Holy Qur'an, and their household was since antiquity a house of knowledge, virtue and piety.

https://bahjat.ir/en/content/1290

http://ijtihadnet.com/biography-of-ayatollah-sayyid-ali-qadi-tabatabai/

Biography of Ayatollah Behjat

Agha Behjat was constantly engaged in self-purification and self-building. In his ethical instructions, he always insisted that one should work hard at this task and forego and abandon many luxuries in order to make headway against the endless demands of the soul.

[Ayatollah Behjat ] Grand Ayatullah Muhammad Taqi Behjat Fumani, known to be the greatest ‘Arif at present, resides in Qum, Iran. He was a student of the greatest teacher of ‘Irfan in recent history, Sayyid ‘Ali Qadhi Tabatabai.

His Character and Qualities

1. Piety and Self-Building

From his youth, Agha Behjat was constantly engaged in self-purification and self-building. In his ethical instructions, he always insists that one should work hard at this task and forego and abandon many luxuries in order to make headway against the endless demands of the soul.

He is of the opinion that in order to succeed in this jihad al-akbar, ethical purity (akhlaq) and knowledge (‘ilm) go hand in hand. In fact he considers knowledge without self-purification, to be the more damaging than anything else. His famous advice to youths is ‘to read and practise one hadith daily from the Chapter of Jihad al-nafs in Wasail al-Shi’a of Shaykh Hurr al-Amili.[1]

By his deeds and words, this great scholar has always directed himself to God alone.

A great mujtahid has said about Agha Behjat, “It cannot be just said about him that he is a man of piety; in fact he is the true essence and a manifestation of taqwa.”

https://shiastudies.com/en/6780/biography-of-ayatollah-behjat/

Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Tabataba'i

Allama Tabataba'i is the author of Tafsir al-mizan (a Quranic exegesis), and the famous books of philosophy, Bidayat al-hikma, Nihayat al-hikma, and Usul-i falsafa wa rawish-i ri'alism.

Among his students are Mutahhari, Jawadi Amuli, Bihishti, and Misbah Yazdi - some of the most well-known Shi'a clerics of Iran in the 14th/20th century.

'Allama Tabataba'i introduced the Shi'a school of thought to Europeans through his discussions with Henry Corbin, a French philosopher and an expert in Shi'a studies.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Sayyid_Muhammad_Husayn_Tabataba'i

• Advanced Member
  • Advanced Member

Jazakhallah Khair for the posts friend and the links. In that lecture of Brother Hussain Makke he talks about how even the most ordinary of people could be amongst the most pious [Here's a link for a clipped video of the bit of the lecture that I'm talking about]

I'm hoping some of the guys here have had experience with someone like this in their community etc. and would be willing to share InshaAllah.