In the Name of God بسم الله

Hijab and misogyny

Rate this topic

Guest Guest

Salam, 

As the title suggests I have really been struggling with the concept of hijab and female modesty as it is currently practiced. I know there have been similar topics to this one, but unfortunately replies tend to be condescending and don’t address a sister’s concerns. 

In islam, the female body is seen as an awrah and therefore must be covered from the gaze of men. How does this not objectify the female body? This is the definition of objectification because it is making it seem like the female body is inherently sexual and shameful and therefore must be covered.

I have been wearing the hijab for almost two decades and explaining the meaning behind it to non-muslims always has me double thinking what I am actually saying to them. 

It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women to cover up from men, because of what can result from men potentially doing. On the contrary, the hijab does not “protect” women from such men, because sexual assault and harassment is rampant in places around the world where hijab is practiced, and men will continue to treat women how they treat women. If the only type of woman available is a covered one, then she’s still a woman to them. Men also assault children, other men and even animals and dead bodies.

Women’s clothing and the concept of modesty has been practiced since the start of time, and it’s not just an islamic concept. All aspects of modesty that pertain to women’s clothing are rooted in misogyny tbh, and it seems like it is another way for women’s bodies to be controlled and policed. The controversy surrounding a woman’s clothing is a tale as old as time and women to this day are shamed and blamed for what they wear, as their bodies are seen as shameful, so why do we accept that Islam is doing it for different reasons? 

I really have read many interpretations of the hijab, how it is worn and what it stands for but nothing seems logical or fair to me. I understand that not every ruling in islam is based on “human logic”, however if we just say this then it closes the door to questioning anything regarding religion. 

Anyone else feel trapped wearing it and struggle with seeing it so widely practiced and not even questioned? Like, I literally centre men around how I am viewed physically in public… 

• Basic Members

Salamun Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Brarakatu, I hope you are doing well.

I just want to start off by saying that I am a man. I also completely understand what you are trying to question, so let me explain what I believe is the answer.

In the Quran Al-Kareem, major emphasis is placed onto women and their modesty, such as the hijab where it acts as the representation of modesty and submission to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). For example, in the Quran, Surah Al-Ahzab, Ayah 59:

"O Prophet! Ask your wives, daughters, and believing women to draw their cloaks over their bodies. In this way it is more likely that they will be recognized as virtuous and not be harassed. And Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Firstly, I would like to state that the Islamic clothing that Muslim women wear sets moral expectations and respectful relationships between two genders. But it does not mean men are also not covered by the rule of setting moral expectations and allowing respectful relationships.

Also, about your subjectification concerns on women, I don't really believe that is why the women's body has to be covered (just for the reason to halt men from sexual acts)

For example, as you may know, as a shi'i muslim, it is Mukrooh to wear shorts higher than the knees, or be semi-naked in public. That's one of the multiple forms of modesty that men must show. 

Furthermore, the fact that men are more assaulting than that of women is true. I agree with that. But that is part of the morals of men, and how they have been raised. I've seen a massive number of men who are so respectful that they would attempt to not even injure a stray animal.

However, to be honest, the history of men hasn't been great. How many times do you hear on the media about rape cases or sexual issues that have arose from men's wrongdoing? I've seen it a lot (hope Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guides them on the right path). And it usually is due to the women's look or sexual appeal.

I can't talk about women though, as I do not know what they will find sexually appealing of men, but I personally have rarely heard rape cases derived from women.

Your issue of a women's body being objectified is correct, but it is for your own safety. It keeps a barrier between you and the bad people on Earth. You are helping yourself as well as helping the public by covering your body Islamically, as well as being rewarded by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) the best of hasanaat. So I guess it's in your best benefit to do so.

I tried to make it as brief as possible, so I hope I helped your issue. It's hard to understand your perspective, I tried to though. I respect you highly.

I hope Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guides you on the straight, right and safe path. Taqabbal Allah wa Minaw Minkon.

• Advanced Member
On 11/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, Guest Guest said:

How does this not objectify the female body? This is the definition of objectification because it is making it seem like the female body is inherently sexual and shameful and therefore must be covered.

20 hours ago, Huss Mourad said:

Your issue of a women's body being objectified is correct

On the contrary, the hijab is actually what is preventing objectification. Islam wants women to cover their beauty so that men don't only think of her as beautiful in khalq (on the outside), but also in khulq (on the inside). Like in the verse brother @Huss Mourad quoted,

20 hours ago, Huss Mourad said:

...it is more likely that they [women] will be recognized as virtuous and not be harassed...

Some alternate translations are:

[QARAI]: "That makes it likely for them to be recognized and not be troubled..."

[SHAKIR]: "...this will be more proper, that they may be known, and thus they will not be given trouble..."

[SARWAR]: "This will make them distinguishable from others and protect them from being annoyed."

The idea is that by wearing the hijab, the women will be recognised by her manners rather than her beauty. So it's actually the opposite of objectification. (Yes, Islam came to prevent objectification hundreds of years before it was even a word :grin:)

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us all.

• Advanced Member
On 11/9/2022 at 1:02 AM, Guest Guest said:

On the contrary, the hijab does not “protect” women from such men, because sexual assault and harassment is rampant in places around the world where hijab is practiced, and men will continue to treat women how they treat women. If the only type of woman available is a covered one, then she’s still a woman to them. Men also assault children, other men and even animals and dead bodies.

This is a valid point, which leads me to somewhat believe that hijab is not meant to be a protection against rape (rapists don’t care how much you cover) but rather a protection against the temptation of consensual haram relations between the genders.

Edited by Uni Student

• Advanced Member
On 11/9/2022 at 8:02 AM, Guest Guest said:

In islam, the female body is seen as an awrah and therefore must be covered from the gaze of men. How does this not objectify the female body? This is the definition of objectification because it is making it seem like the female body is inherently sexual and shameful and therefore must be covered.

I don't see a problem with this viewpoint.

We males are drawn to the female body because it is made to look beautiful and attractive. What about it is so difficult to understand?
We were created in that manner.

We men are also instructed to lower our gaze, which is much simpler to do if women are dressed modestly. I firmly believe that if everyone adhered to these basic guidelines, both personally and as a society, we would be in a much healthier condition.

• Advanced Member

Also, because women are "rebellious" by nature, they must be "managed & policed," or otherwise the world would be in a much more chaotic state.

Have you ever questioned why Islam makes no mention of any female prophets or imams?  pondered why certain rulings are applied differently to men and women?

We could spend eternity trying to come up with the why for many different things Allah has ordained and the way he has structured everything, but probably no explanation will ever 100% satisfy our limited intellects. But of course it is in our nature to question things. So maybe you could think of it this way, hijab’s purpose is not to keep us from being objectified by men, but rather to keep women from objectifying themselves. We are vain by nature, which is why many women don’t want to cover up in the first place, because we know our hair makes us pretty and our bodies are beautiful. Allah puts parameters on many things so that we are regulated and we become moderate ie take a middle path with things. Food has perimeters—some foods are impermissible to eat although we don’t know why, and we are also told not to overeat even halal food. Money has parameters. Sex too, must be within the confounds of a marriage, etc. The natural inclination for us to show our body also has perimeters. We are allowed to adorn ourselves and show our hair and figures to family, husbands, and other women. That’s quite a lot actually. But then we are told to cover in front of certain other people (na mahram men). Again we are regulating ourselves and our nafs by honing that desire to show our beauty and be admired. In that process we are made to see ourselves as more than just our beauty and our bodies. And the better for it because we will sooner or later lose our physical attractiveness. Our stomachs become lumpy, breasts saggy, hair thin and gray, wrinkles, etc. We have all seen the way women act when they think their looks are the most important part of themselves. It’s usually pretty cringey—a desperate urge to be noticed and complimented, comes out in a lot of undignified ways. Allah is saving us from ourselves. 

But ultimately like the other poster said, regardless of the WHY, it is about submission. Allah is pleased to see us in hijab. Whether we understand it or not, wearing hijab brings us closer to the Almighty Creator because that’s what He told us to do. And if we find it difficult, it has even more reward inshaAllah which means we can be in even closer in proximity to THE GOD. SubhanAllah. 

Hope that helps. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, EiE said:

Have you ever questioned why Islam makes no mention of any female prophets or imams?  pondered why certain rulings are applied differently to men and women?

Salaam,

According to Dr Sekaleshfar in, the reason there were no female prophets is because the action required of a male such as taking part in battles, goes against the nature of women, which are nurturers. And he goes on to explain a whole bunch more that I don't have time to get into right now, so this one point is all I have time to mention.

Long story short, the nature of a male is different from that of a female, and a man is more fit for prophetic duties than a female. In the same vein, a female is more fit for certain duties than a male is. 

It may be there are other worlds where a female is more fit for the position according to her nature, but that is not the case here in this world.

• Advanced Member

@PureExistence1

I agree with you that because men and women are fundamentally different, some tasks are better suited to men, while others are better suited to women. Therefore, we shouldn't label everything as objectification, sexism, misogyny, etc., as those terms have different connotations in today's society and are used to sow confusion, incite hatred between the sexes, and draw attention to insignificant issues.

Edited by EiE

• Veteran Member
On 11/9/2022 at 7:02 AM, Guest Guest said:

Women’s clothing and the concept of modesty has been practiced since the start of time, and it’s not just an islamic concept. All aspects of modesty that pertain to women’s clothing are rooted in misogyny tbh, and it seems like it is another way for women’s bodies to be controlled and policed. The controversy surrounding a woman’s clothing is a tale as old as time and women to this day are shamed and blamed for what they wear, as their bodies are seen as shameful, so why do we accept that Islam is doing it for different reasons?

Would you not say that the immodesty that we see in the Western world (and other areas) is a form of control? It is not the case that most of the men in the Western world are displeased with the lack of modesty. They want to see immodesty in women while making them believe that it is a form of liberation and empowerment.

You should ask yourself why it is that in the Western world men dress more conservatively even in formal settings and they are not mainly the ones who display themselves on social media etc. The attitude of pious Muslim men who do not want to see these things should be praised because their modesty leads to better functioning families and societies. It also leads to women having better mental health instead of what is currently happening in the Western world where women feel like they are to be judged by their appearance. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/18/teenage-girls-body-image-and-instagrams-perfect-storm

Can you explain why it is that this objectification (both self objectification and that directly caused by others) happens to women much more than men?

There are spiritual aspects to be considered here. The men who do not want to observe immodestly and the women who do no want to partake in it often do that because they do not want to feel a decrease in spirituality. You are right about it not being limited to Islam, all major religions promote modesty because all human nature has the same spiritual aspects at its core. Those men who encourage modestly are doing it for spiritual elevation, not misogyny.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, EiE said:

@PureExistence1

I agree with you that because men and women are fundamentally different, some tasks are better suited to men, while others are better suited to women. Therefore, we shouldn't label everything as objectification, sexism, misogyny, etc., as those terms have different connotations in today's society and are used to sow confusion, incite hatred between the sexes, and draw attention to insignificant issues.

I remember listening to a sheikh... perhaps it was Azhar Nasser or something. He said that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) manifested His جلالة (majesty) in men, and His جمال (beauty) in women. So men have the traits of Allah such as al-Malik, al-Muhaymin, al-3azeez, al-Razzaq, etc. And women have the traits of Allah such as al-Ra7man, al-7aleem, al-Ghafour, al-Wadoud, al-Ra2ouf, al-Sabour, etc. 

Men are biologically physically and emotionally designed to be leaders. They're strong, confident, capable, etc. 

Women are biologically physically and emotionally designed to be nurturers and caretakers. They're gentle, compassionate, selfless, etc.

And just because the different genders have different abilities/responsibilities, doesn't mean one is any more important than the other. A woman nurturing others is just as important as a man leading others. 

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا ۚ إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ

O mankind! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female, and made you nations and tribes that you may identify yourselves with one another. Indeed the noblest of you in the sight of Allah is the most Godwary among you. Indeed Allah is all-knowing, all-aware. [49:13]

• Advanced Member
On 11/9/2022 at 10:32 AM, Guest Guest said:

It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women to cover up from men, because of what can result from men potentially doing. On the contrary, the hijab does not “protect” women from such men, because sexual assault and harassment is rampant in places around the world where hijab is practiced, and men will continue to treat women how they treat women. If the only type of woman available is a covered one, then she’s still a woman to them. Men also assault children, other men and even animals and dead bodies.

Salam living in a muslim country for example Iran or Iraq doesn't mean that every Muslim men & Muslimah are preferct & pious muslims which maybe some hypocrites are pretending that they are following rulings but while they are examining by a temptation or presueding to doing other immoral action so then they will lose their control over their desires so then commit sins although they live in a muslim country which sometimes you maybe see women although they have Hijab & chador & etc but on the other hand they show immoral 7 sexual behavior likewise they are totally naked which in both of sunni & shia narration there are some narration about situation of people in end time which although women are covered but they looks like naked & men who look like pious are slaves of their desires .

In Bihar, vol. 77, p. 369, there is a narration of the Prophet who, at the end of his life, addressed his friends and companions and said:

There will come a time when human morality will be removed from them, as if you hear someone's name, it will be better than you see him, or if you see him,it's better than  you will try him. When you test him, you will see ugly and inappropriate situations in him. To get a little bit of bread, they have to strain before everyone. They neither consider themselves under the protection of Islam nor live according to the Christian religion. Merchants and businessmen, wil be usurers and deceivers, and their wives  adorn themselves for the unfaithful. At that time, the wicked will dominate them and their prayers will not be answered.

Ali bin Abi Talib (عليه السلام) was asked about the end of time:

Are there believers at that time?

said:

yes

It was asked again:

Does their faith diminish due to seditions?

said:

No, except to the extent that the raindrops will reduce the stones, but they will suffer.

Imam Sajjad ((عليه السلام).) said:

Because Allah knew that in the end of time, the people of careful thinking will come, so He sent down Qal Hawallah and Ahad and verses from Surah Hadid.

https://www.borna.news/بخش-گوناگون-105/1188799-شمایل-حال-زنان-در-آخر-الزمان-چگونه-است

Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said:
In the apocalypse and when the doomsday is approaching, which is the worst time, women appear who are naked and reveal their ornaments.
They get involved in seditions and turn towards lusts and rush to pleasures, they consider divine prohibitions as halal and they will be eternal in hell.

یَظْهَرُ فی آخِرِ الزَّمانِ وَاِقْتِرابِ السّاعَةِ وَهُوَ شَرُّ الاَْزْمِنَةِ نِسْوَةٌ کاشِفاتٌ عاریاتٌ مَتَبَرِّجاتٌ داخِلاتٌ فِی الْفِتَنِ، مائِلاتٌ اِلَی الشَّهَواتِ، مُسْرِعاتٌ اِلَی اللَّذّاتِ، مُسْتَحِلاّتٌ لِلْمُحَرَّماتِ فی جَهَنَّمَ خالِداتٌ.

«من لایحضره الفقیه، ج3، ص390 - مکارم الاخلاق، ص201 »
Man la yahduruh al-faqih , v3 , p 390 - Makarim al-akhlaq , p 201

https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/581782/حدیث-روز-سیمای-زنان-بد-در-آخرالزمان

• Forum Administrators

It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women to cover up from men, because of what can result from men potentially doing. 

The same could also be said in other contexts wherever the owner has something of value and needs to protect it:

1. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women rich people to cover up secure their wealth from men envious people, because of what can result from men envious people potentially doing.
  2. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women healthy people to cover up protect their health from men fast food firms, because of what can result from men saturated fats potentially doing.
  3. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women educated people to cover up maintain their skills in the face of competition from others men , because of what can result from men other job seekers potentially doing.

In all these instances the buck stops with the owner of what is valuable to protect it.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:14 AM, Huss Mourad said:

Salamun Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Brarakatu, I hope you are doing well.

I just want to start off by saying that I am a man. I also completely understand what you are trying to question, so let me explain what I believe is the answer.

In the Quran Al-Kareem, major emphasis is placed onto women and their modesty, such as the hijab where it acts as the representation of modesty and submission to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). For example, in the Quran, Surah Al-Ahzab, Ayah 59:

"O Prophet! Ask your wives, daughters, and believing women to draw their cloaks over their bodies. In this way it is more likely that they will be recognized as virtuous and not be harassed. And Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Firstly, I would like to state that the Islamic clothing that Muslim women wear sets moral expectations and respectful relationships between two genders. But it does not mean men are also not covered by the rule of setting moral expectations and allowing respectful relationships.

Also, about your subjectification concerns on women, I don't really believe that is why the women's body has to be covered (just for the reason to halt men from sexual acts)

For example, as you may know, as a shi'i muslim, it is Mukrooh to wear shorts higher than the knees, or be semi-naked in public. That's one of the multiple forms of modesty that men must show. 

Furthermore, the fact that men are more assaulting than that of women is true. I agree with that. But that is part of the morals of men, and how they have been raised. I've seen a massive number of men who are so respectful that they would attempt to not even injure a stray animal.

However, to be honest, the history of men hasn't been great. How many times do you hear on the media about rape cases or sexual issues that have arose from men's wrongdoing? I've seen it a lot (hope Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guides them on the right path). And it usually is due to the women's look or sexual appeal.

I can't talk about women though, as I do not know what they will find sexually appealing of men, but I personally have rarely heard rape cases derived from women.

Your issue of a women's body being objectified is correct, but it is for your own safety. It keeps a barrier between you and the bad people on Earth. You are helping yourself as well as helping the public by covering your body Islamically, as well as being rewarded by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) the best of hasanaat. So I guess it's in your best benefit to do so.

I tried to make it as brief as possible, so I hope I helped your issue. It's hard to understand your perspective, I tried to though. I respect you highly.

I hope Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guides you on the straight, right and safe path. Taqabbal Allah wa Minaw Minkon.

Thank you for your respectful comment.

Cases of rape being lower in women - well, women are physically weaker and therefore men easily overpower women whereas on average women cannot. I believe there are more important reasons than this though, and I’ll get to them too.

As you have mentioned “bad” men exist, and therefore a “barrier” will not necessarily prevent any harm. As I have stated, most pedophiles, necrophiliacs and any unusual sexual desire is almost always practiced by men. There is no barrier that can reduce harm for the victim when men are the issue. And I believe men being this way is not just biological as most people like to say. Living in a patriarchal society means there is a lot of conditioning and a significant social aspect that plays into why men treat women very differently, and reducing it to simply biological is ignoring a lot of key factors that play a role into the nurture aspect of men. As humans we are governed by a lot more than just our biology, which is what differentiates us from animals.

As you have also mentioned “good” men exist and in these instances you should not need a “barrier”. So is the objectification of my body really keeping me safe?

And I see you have brought up the male hijab and their version of modesty. I think we can all agree that the male version of hijab is nowhere near as enforced or as strict as the female one, as the ENTIRE female body is seen as an awrah (even her voice), as opposed to the select parts of a man.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:37 AM, -Rejector- said:

On the contrary, the hijab is actually what is preventing objectification. Islam wants women to cover their beauty so that men don't only think of her as beautiful in khalq (on the outside), but also in khulq (on the inside). 

I have an issue with the whole, 'cover your beauty so men respect your character and the inside'. My character remains the same whether or not you can see my hair, and why is it we judge if a woman is worthy of respect by her physical and outer appearance? Isn’t that essentially the same point the hijab is trying to fight against? For a religion that constantly reminds us that intention, belief and action are important, a woman’s faith/iman is constantly tied to her appearance.

23 hours ago, Uni Student said:

This is a valid point, which leads me to somewhat believe that hijab is not meant to be a protection against rape (rapists don’t care how much you cover) but rather a protection against the temptation of consensual haram relations between the genders.

Perhaps, but then also consider that haram relationships between hijabi women and men exist in an abundance. I’ve lived in both a muslim country where the majority of women are hijabis, and a western country with a large hijabi population and I assure you, hijabis engage in haram relationships in an abundance. Also, I'm assuming this is your subjective reasoning? Which is why I am starting to believe a lot of what the hijab currently stands for is subjective reasoning, and not necessarily a religious command.

23 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

Your point here is 100% correct. Sadly.

Unfortunately, our Islamic communities and even families fail to teach the real purpose of the hijab and why both women and men should practice hijab, because the hijab is more than just a headscarf and modest clothing. They will talk about how the main reason behind wearing the hijab is to cover up in front of men, and although that is one of the reasons, it is not the main reason. The main reason for the hijab is for the sake of Allah, not for the sake of men. It is solely an act of worship. Why do you think we wear the veil when we're praying salah at home, even though there isn't any non mahram around? That further proves the point of the hijab's purpose. Our communities need to do a better job.

Hijab being for the sake of Allah does not disregard the fact that it is also worn for the sake of men, to hide our beauty and in turn reduce “harm” (I believe that’s what the word the Quran verses state). It can be the case that we wear it as a sign of submission whilst also simultaneously having other reasons for its practice that pertain to men. It certainly does pertain to men as it is literally an obligation for us to practice hijab AROUND OTHER MEN. So, any time I am around any man who is a non-mahram I must cover up, which means there is in fact a tie between the hijab and men.

19 hours ago, Guest Friend said:

And the better for it because we will sooner or later lose our physical attractiveness. Our stomachs become lumpy, breasts saggy, hair thin and gray, wrinkles, etc. We have all seen the way women act when they think their looks are the most important part of themselves. It’s usually pretty cringey—a desperate urge to be noticed and complimented, comes out in a lot of undignified ways. Allah is saving us from ourselves. 

So we do not know the reasoning for many commands, but apparently your reasoning for the hijab is female vanity. That is a subjective reason, and that can be the reason that makes you, personally, rationalise the hijab, does not mean it actually is the reasoning. I do not believe women are vain by nature, and I do not think this can actually be proven beyond what people think. If our looks and physical attractiveness fade with age, do I still need to wear the hijab when I am an 80 year old woman with no vanity left? 

Also, you seem to think very low of your fellow gender. The obsession with women and their physical appearance is not just related to vanity. I believe it's also because society puts such emphasis on a women's appearance, and ties her worth to her appearance, which in a way the hijab is also doing. 

17 hours ago, EiE said:

@PureExistence1

I have actually questioned why no female prophet/imams exist. I think it is less to do with a woman's capabilities and more to do with the fact that men usually only listen to other men. Male prophets were met with so much resistance, I can only imagine how much more resistance a woman would be met with. 

And I'm not labelling "everything" in those terms. Female modesty is objectifying, and it does not work.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

So we do not know the reasoning for many commands, but apparently your reasoning for the hijab is female vanity. That is a subjective reason, and that can be the reason that makes you, personally, rationalise the hijab, does not mean it actually is the reasoning.

Yes that’s what I was trying to say. Female vanity is not the reason, I was just trying to give you an alternative way of thinking about it. If that doesn’t resonate with you that’s fine. Sometimes thinking about a subject from various perspectives and reasonings can help create a wholistic understanding that makes more sense, so I was offering a different approach. 

If our looks and physical attractiveness fade with age, do I still need to wear the hijab when I am an 80 year old woman with no vanity left? 

According to what I understand, no she doesn’t, but you can ask a scholar inshaAllah. The Quran seems to say no…

(24:60) The women who are past their youth (and can no longer bear children) and do not look forward to marriage will incur no sin if they cast off their outer garments without displaying their adornment. But if they remain modest, that is still better for them. Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

The obsession with women and their physical appearance is not just related to vanity. I believe it's also because society puts such emphasis on a women's appearance,

True. But we cannot control society, we can only control ourselves. 

and ties her worth to her appearance, which in a way the hijab is also doing. 

Or undoing. If you can’t see how attractive a woman is, then you can’t tie her worth to her level of attraction. 

14 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Female modesty is objectifying, and it does not work.

How about this, how about you tell us what would work in your opinion? Lay out your model for the best functioning society. 

The goal would be the citizens reach the highest levels of morality. And the facts on the ground still remain, that men and women have certain biological tendencies that we can’t change. What rules or laws would you enforce so that everything is fair as you see it but also society functions optimally? 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

My character remains the same whether or not you can see my hair

Of course it is. But because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has created men with desire, He knew that women would be misunderstood due to their beauty. This is why hijab is obligatory.

It's one of those things that are difficult in the dunya, but for which women receive great rewards in the akhira. 

• Advanced Member

Also, I'm assuming this is your subjective reasoning?

Correct I was not speaking from an official religious perspective but from my own thoughts

not necessarily a religious command.

Incorrect 

Edited by Uni Student

• Advanced Member

And I'm not labelling "everything" in those terms. Female modesty is objectifying, and it does not work.

Salaam,

I think this is a blanket statement and an absolute which doesnt hold water under further analysis.

Everything starts with a persons intention. If a woman, in this example, has lustful intentions and intends to act on them, of course attire wont do any good from that angle. Her intentions will take her where they may and she will act according to that intention. 

However, another woman whos first and primary concern is her submission to Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and protecting her soul from the harm of getting involved in immoral actions,(which includes dressing in a way that shows others shes not interested as well as acting in that manner, not being a chadori woman and acting flirtatious) her intentions will produce an outcome appropriate to her intentions of good.

This is not to say she will never encounter a heinous action of a male, however, HER responsibility in the matter has been handled appropriately and will produce the appropriate spiritual response in her soul, part of that being to spiritually elevate her, which manifests in different ways according to Allahs(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will. (This is another discussion)

To say it doesnt work implies a deficiency in Allahs(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wisdom and governing laws for His creation since its in the Quran that it says women should cover and act modestly, not from some obscure sheikh or hadith.

Its unfortunately very common for alot of people to base their decisions, conclusions, opinions etc on the worldly aspect and not put their soul and its welfare first. When people primarily use the dunya as their measuring stick and not their soul, akhira etc, then of course we end up in spiritual dilemmas and unable to make the correct judgements.

Edited by PureExistence1
Spelling errors

On 11/12/2022 at 7:25 AM, Muhammed Ali said:

Would you not say that the immodesty that we see in the Western world (and other areas) is a form of control? It is not the case that most of the men in the Western world are displeased with the lack of modesty. They want to see immodesty in women while making them believe that it is a form of liberation and empowerment.

"Immodesty" to this degree and the hijab are different sides of the same coin. In both instances, the female body is sexualised. Covering it up is also agreeing and reinforcing the idea that the female body is in fact inherently sexual, which it is not. I am in agreement that the current movement of sexual liberation largely benefits men. Which again, men. are. the. issue. However, the average non-hijabi woman is not immodest. And to make it seem like women can exist in either extremes of entirely showing their bodies and entirely covering them up is not the case. When I question the hijab, I am not saying we should submit to the other extreme and walk around naked.

You should ask yourself why it is that in the Western world men dress more conservatively even in formal settings and they are not mainly the ones who display themselves on social media etc. 

Women's worth is largely determined by their physical appearance. In formal settings, such as corporate jobs etc women dress the way they do for more reasons than simply trying to sexualise themselves. They will literally not be taken as seriously. And women are judged by their appearance everywhere, not just the western world.

Can you explain why it is that this objectification (both self objectification and that directly caused by others) happens to women much more than men?

There are spiritual aspects to be considered here. The men who do not want to observe immodestly and the women who do no want to partake in it often do that because they do not want to feel a decrease in spirituality. You are right about it not being limited to Islam, all major religions promote modesty because all human nature has the same spiritual aspects at its core. Those men who encourage modestly are doing it for spiritual elevation, not misogyny.

Yes, the objectification of women happens a lot more men. The hijab also asks women to cover up a lot more than what men need to. It is agreeing to the fact that my body is an object and must be covered.

Modesty is enforced by a large number of men, religious or not. Muslim communities are extremely harsh on woman and their clothing, and a lot of the times it does not come from a spiritual aspect but a very aggressive and judgemental aspect. This is also an instance where women are being judged for their appearance. If a man is pious then just don't look. The average non-hijabi women are neither trying to tempt or lure him, she is just exisiting. And I do not believe non-religious muslim men are upholding female modesty because of "spiritual aspects" in their human nature. 

11 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

The same could also be said in other contexts wherever the owner has something of value and needs to protect it:

1. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women rich people to cover up secure their wealth from men envious people, because of what can result from men envious people potentially doing.
  2. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women healthy people to cover up protect their health from men fast food firms, because of what can result from men saturated fats potentially doing.
  3. It is extremely unfair that the burden falls on women educated people to cover up maintain their skills in the face of competition from others men , because of what can result from men other job seekers potentially doing.

I think we can stop with the lollipop type analogies. Women are neither objects or concepts.

All your points were gender neutral. Anyone can be healthy, rich and educated but hijab is more or so gender specific and relies heavily on the burden of one gender. In your examples, protection actually protects, but as we see with the hijab that it not the case. Women will be treated like women. It is not the same correlation where more covered = less harassment from men, unlike all your examples. 

11 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

In all these instances the buck stops with the owner of what is valuable to protect it.

Interesting how what it is most valuable to a woman is her looks and chastity. 

"Immodesty" to this degree and the hijab are different sides of the same coin. In both instances, the female body is sexualised. Covering it up is also agreeing and reinforcing the idea that the female body is in fact inherently sexual, which it is not. I am in agreement that the current movement of sexual liberation largely benefits men. Which again, men. are. the. issue. However, the average non-hijabi woman is not immodest. And to make it seem like women can exist in either extremes of entirely showing their bodies and entirely covering them up is not the case. When I question the hijab, I am not saying we should submit to the other extreme and walk around naked.

The sexualization of the female body isn't an issue exclusive to men. There are a few studies that have show a surprising number, over half, of straight women are attracted to attractive women. So, even if men sudden lost all desire in women, this won't solve the issue of women being objectified.

With respect to the female body not being inherently sexual, what is your opinion on the relationship between sexuality and beauty? Beauty seems to be something that one might consider inherent - an attribute of Allah (عز وجل) - but then would beauty lead to a form of objectification?

*Not sure if any snippets will be allowed, but the mods are free to remove anything inappropriate.

*As a side note, the women were show videos of men and women unclothed, not sure if that would have skewed the data to either side.

"Studies with volunteers in sexual arousal experiments suggest that women are, on average, physiologically sexually aroused to both male and female sexual stimuli."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26501187/

Referencing the same study - might need to pay to actually see the above study:

"When it comes to what turns them on, women are either bisexual or gay, but rarely straight, according to a new study by the University of Essex."

"This latest research from Essex, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, for the first time clearly defines the differences between straight and gay women. Using both eye tracking devices and direct measures of physiological sexual response, the study, which involved 345 women, found that straight women were strongly sexually aroused to videos of both attractive men and attractive women, even though they reported that they are only interested in men."

https://www.essex.ac.uk/news/2017/09/28/getting-in-touch-with-our-female-sexuality

• Advanced Member

What do you think of the understanding that covering one's head was more of a cultural undertaking and served as a form of ID, rather than an eternal religious mandate? Women in hotter climates almost always covered their heads when going out; Arab women wrapped turbans, Indian women covered with the part of the sari, etc. Muslim women also dressed differently than slave women/non-Muslims in order to be distinguished. Women of the Prophet's family covered up even more due to their status, think of it as royal protocol. Since Islam was revealed to an Arab society, it had to lend some acceptance to what was already being practiced. Would you not agree with this?

For clothing, I don't think Islam is too concerned with micromanaging your attire. What may be modest in Europe is not appropriate in Peshawar. There is a general rule for both men and women to observe overall modesty (don't look funny, don't go nude, dress appropriately to the setting in which you are in), and then the rest is really just left up to the culture and society in which the Muslim resides. Is this something that is problematic for you? 

Edited by khizarr

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Perhaps, but then also consider that haram relationships between hijabi women and men exist in an abundance. I’ve lived in both a muslim country where the majority of women are hijabis, and a western country with a large hijabi population and I assure you, hijabis engage in haram relationships in an abundance

'In abundance' is a vague claim; what is the statistical evidence to support this? Any research? Any records? Or is this based completely on anecdotal evidence? 

Moreover, how is the violation of a law a case against the law? Road accidents abound the world over, we haven't scrapped the traffic laws anywhere yet. 

18 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I have an issue with the whole, 'cover your beauty so men respect your character and the inside'. My character remains the same whether or not you can see my hair, and why is it we judge if a woman is worthy of respect by her physical and outer appearance? Isn’t that essentially the same point the hijab is trying to fight against? For a religion that constantly reminds us that intention, belief and action are important, a woman’s faith/iman is constantly tied to her appearance.

Are you trying to say that no visual parameters exist to evaluate the so-called 'intentions'? Because the logical conclusion of what you posit is that acts are inherently meaningless and purposeless and not rooted in any intention whatsoever,and they mean nothing hence don't take them to indicated anything. Deeds are the very indicators of intentions. When what is practiced and what is preached don't match, it's called hypocrisy. 

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Immodesty" to this degree and the hijab are different sides of the same coin. In both instances, the female body is sexualised. Covering it up is also agreeing and reinforcing the idea that the female body is in fact inherently sexual, which it is not.

What do you exactly understand by the term 'sexualization' and 'objectification'? Because you are merely and conveniently conflating admitting to the subversive potential of human sexual attraction with 'objectification'. 

Yes, the objectification of women happens a lot more men. The hijab also asks women to cover up a lot more than what men need to. It is agreeing to the fact that my body is an object and must be covered.

This assumes that male and female  sexualities function the same way (and that there is no link whatsoever between biological sex, physiology,psychology and sexuality) while they don't. 

All your points were gender neutral. Anyone can be healthy, rich and educated but hijab is more or so gender specific and relies heavily on the burden of one gender. In your examples, protection actually protects, but as we see with the hijab that it not the case. Women will be treated like women. It is not the same correlation where more covered = less harassment from men, unlike all your examples. 

So the burden to fulfill legal obligations is only unfair when gender is involved? How are property/wealth protection measures not classist, and why should jealous people eye my wealth? Why should burglars break into my house to steal my money? Why should scammers try to defraud me? Why shouldn't they simply be honest just look the other way? Why should food regulation laws and health advisories exist if I'm a healthy person? What problem does the fast food industry, the intoxicants peddlers and Big Pharma have with my health? Why do they want me to adopt unhealthy ways? Why not be law abiding and honest , stop trying to feed me greasy food, trying to sell me intoxicants, trying to adulterate my food and making me sick? Don't ask me to eat healthy and stay healthy. Don't bombard me with commercials and health advisories. Look the other way. 

And I reiterate again, how is the violation of a law a case against the law itself? There are laws to protect wealth and property, yet usurpation, bank-frauds, scams of all kinds and robbery cases are fairly regular. People take vaccines and immunity building drugs and yet contract diseases. Accidents happen literally every second in some part of the world despite traffic laws being in force. Despite all this we haven't overhauled the legal system anywhere. What is even the logos/rationale here? 

Interesting how what it is most valuable to a woman is her looks

Actually, it's literally the opposite of this. Her firmness of faith and observance of the Shariah supersede everything else about her. 

and chastity

Why not? And the same goes for men. I won't as much as touch habitually profligate/unchaste men or women with a flagpole, let alone take kindly to them. Adultery/fornication is a social offense which wrecks families and not just individuals. Why are you suggesting that Muslims take this matter lightly and be less sensitive in this regard? 

Women's worth is largely determined by their physical appearance. In formal settings, such as corporate jobs etc women dress the way they do for more reasons than simply trying to sexualise themselves. They will literally not be taken as seriously. And women are judged by their appearance everywhere, not just the western world.

I am not here to defend whatever the custom in the Occidental world is, but literally how is promoting a form of clothing that occludes 90% of her physical form/appearance- hair, body contours, other marks of beautification etc tantamount to 'determining her worth by her physical appearance'? Is that how you determine things, by banishing from sight the very parameters that supposed to act as determinants? This is as manifestly absurd as arguing that a student's academic worth will be determined by overlooking how he's performing in his studies. 

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

For a religion that constantly reminds us that intention, belief and action are important, a woman’s faith/iman is constantly tied to her appearance.

Salam it's totally a wrong conclusion because in Islam "a woman’s faith/iman" has not tied " to her appearance." ,which we don't have any narration or verse of holy Quran about this but on the other hand "a woman’s faith/iman" has tied to her behavior which in story of prophet Musa (عليه السلام) it has mentioned that when he faced with  daughters of prophet Shuaib (عليه السلام) so then they have talked with him modestly which one of them has walked toward him bashfully so then they asked from their fther to hire him in a respectful & modest way in hope of marriage with him because peophet Musa(عليه السلام) has shown modesty & trustfullness toward them .

﴾‏ وَلَمَّا وَرَدَ مَاءَ مَدْيَنَ وَجَدَ عَلَيْهِ أُمَّةً مِّنَ النَّاسِ يَسْقُونَ وَوَجَدَ مِن دُونِهِمُ امْرَأَتَيْنِ تَذُودَانِ ۖ قَالَ مَا خَطْبُكُمَا ۖ قَالَتَا لَا نَسْقِي حَتَّىٰ يُصْدِرَ الرِّعَاءُ ۖ وَأَبُونَا شَيْخٌ كَبِيرٌ ‎﴿٢٣

When he arrived at the well of Midian, he found there a throng of people watering [their flocks], and he found, besides them, two women holding back [their flock]. He said, ‘What is your business?’ They said, ‘We do not water [our flock] until the shepherds have driven out [their flocks], and our father is an aged man.’ (23)

Then one of the two women approached him, walking bashfully. She said, ‘Indeed my father invites you to pay you the wages for watering [our flock] for us.’ So when he came to him and recounted the story to him, he said, ‘Do not be afraid. You have been delivered from the wrongdoing lot.’ (25) One of the two women said, ‘Father, hire him. Indeed the best you can hire is a powerful and trustworthy man.’ (26) ﴾‏

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/28:25

On the way, the girl, who was moving ahead to guide him, faced the wind, the wind was moving her dress up and down, Musa (عليه السلام) said to her: "Come behind me, whenever I stray from the path, Show me the way by throwing a stone. Because we sons of Jacob do not look behind women's heads. Safura came behind Musa and they continued on their way until they reached Shuaib (peace be upon him). [2]

مجلسی، محمد باقر، بحارالانوار، ج ۱۳، ص ۵۹.

Bihar al-anwar , v13 , p59

One of the two women said, ‘Father, hire him. Indeed the best you can hire is a powerful and trustworthy man.’ (26)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/28:26

Shoaib said: "His strength is due to the fact that he alone took the big stone from the well and drew water with a big bucket, but how did you know that he is trustworthy?"
The girl answered: On the way, he said to me: Come behind me so that the wind does not blow up your clothes, and this is the reason for his chastity, innocence and trustworthiness. [7]

Bihar al-anwar , v13 , p 58-59

https://fa.wikifeqh.ir/حضرت_موسی_و_حضرت_شعیب

Professor of Imam Khomeini Educational and Research Institute added: Purification of the hearts of men and women and prevention of sexual stimulation are also mentioned in other verses of hijab. Among other things, the Qur'an has said that women should not reveal their ornaments, hide them, and not walk in such a way that the ornaments of their legs are exposed, and it has even forbidden elderly women from adorning themselves with ornaments, and this prohibition must have wisdom. Of course, even though they are not mahram, two groups are excluded, including insane and madmen; This lack of sanctity shows that the hijab is not a pure act of worship and it has a wisdom, and that wisdom is not to cause sexual stimulation of wise and mature men.

He stated: Therefore, prevention of adornment against non-mahram is a transpersonal and social matter and not just an individual. Based on this, hijab is social from the point of view of a behavior. From the point of view of the ruling of Sharia, there are many evidences in the verses of the Quran that hijab is not like prayer, which is obligatory whether one is in the community or not. The words  یبدین، زینتهن، جلابیبهن و ... Yabedin, Zinthan, Jalabibehan, etc. confirm that the verdict was issued from the perspective of the observers, and we conclude that the Holy Ruler issued the verdict with regard to the observers; exposing  adornment has two aspects, one is what is showed  and the other is those who see the showing, and if there were no people to see the woman's adornment, she would not have showed it and the showing would have no meaning.

Azizi Kia stated: Nothing in religion is purely individual, and if it is, then it is individual perspective ; Whether a person wants to wear a hijab or not is an individual decision, but the effects of her work and the duty of others in facing her can be both individual and social, and even if a woman was inside her own house and someone saw her wearing a hijab in front of a non-mahram. He has the right to warn and enjoin what is good and forbid what is bad.

https://iqna.ir/fa/news/4036499/طاهری‌نیا-قرآن-حجاب-را-امری-اجتماعی-می‌داند-ابراهیمی‌پور-اجباری‌نبودن-حجاب-برای-غیرمسلمین-جای-تامل-دارد

19 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Perhaps, but then also consider that haram relationships between hijabi women and men exist in an abundance. I’ve lived in both a muslim country where the majority of women are hijabis, and a western country with a large hijabi population and I assure you, hijabis engage in haram relationships in an abundance. Also, I'm assuming this is your subjective reasoning? Which is why I am starting to believe a lot of what the hijab currently stands for is subjective reasoning, and not necessarily a religious command.

engaging in haram relationship by them doesn't mean that they have done it because of wearing Hijab but on the other hand there is another reasons for engaging in Haram likewise wrong understanding from Islamic teachings which those women just are Hijabis due to pressure from their family & community while the don't receive proper Islamic education .

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

However, the average non-hijabi woman is not immodest. And to make it seem like women can exist in either extremes of entirely showing their bodies and entirely covering them up is not the case. When I question the hijab, I am not saying we should submit to the other extreme and walk around naked.

Anyway they are potentially are in more danger of harrasing by lustful & ill minded men more than Hijabi women which just covering up is not the case but on the other hand modest behavior & mindset is the case which first step of it is covering hijab properly .

• Forum Administrators
8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I think we can stop with the lollipop type analogies. Women are neither objects or concepts.

Lots of assertions, but little that bears scrutiny.

Anyone born in the western hemisphere has a very high likelihood of bearing the burden of being much richer than anyone born in Africa.

Why, as an accident of birth, should the rich have to be the ones constrained by religion in terms of having to make choices about how the spend their wealth? All the laws for them about khums, zakat and inheritance, fall disproportionately on them.

Surely they should be free to choose?

• Advanced Member

Tell the faithful men to cast down their looks and to guard their private parts. That is more decent for them. Allah is indeed well aware of what they do. (30) And tell the faithful women to cast down their looks and to guard their private parts, and not to display their charms, beyond what is [acceptably] visible, and let them draw their scarfs over their bosoms, and not display their charms

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/24:30

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/24:31

According to Ayah Sharifah and Ibn Abbas's (رضي الله عنه) commentary, this head covering, whether it is a shawl, a veil/headgear, or a scarf, must cover the woman's hair, chest, around the neck, and under the throat. Perhaps for this reason, some commentators have not taken khimar in the meaning of the veil/headgear, but in the meaning of the scarf; Of course, it seems that the word "khimar" is not exclusive to a scarf or a veil, but rather, according to the definition of the limit of covering in Aya Sharifah, it emphasizes the correct way of covering and standardizing it, so to speak. Master Motahari also has the same opinion: "Of course, a scarf has no characteristics; It means to wear the head, neck and collar" (Motahhari, 1353, p. 153).

During the time of Jahiliyyah and early Islam, non-Muslim Arab women wore long and loose clothes, put aba on their head or shoulders, and tied a short covering (shorter than jilbab) on their heads. Professor Motahari, quoting from authentic interpretations such as Tafsir Kashshaf, states that Arab women usually wore shirts with open collars, covering the neck and chest, and scarves that were on their heads. They hung them from the back of the head - in the same way that is common among Arab men now -  ears, the behind of ears, the earrings, and the front of the chest and neck were exposed. This verse orders that they should put the hanging part of the same scarves on their chest and neck from both sides so that the mentioned parts are covered (ibid).
Below this verse, Shia and Sunni have narrated: One day, in the hot weather of Medina, a young and beautiful woman was crossing the street with her scarf hanged on the back of her neck and around her neck and ears have been visible, as usual. . A man from the companions of the Messenger of Allah, may God bless him and grant him and his progeny peace, was coming from the opposite direction. That beautiful sight caught his attention and he was so engrossed in watching that woman that he neglected himself and those around him and did not look in front of him. That woman entered an alley and the young man was following her with his eyes. As he was going, suddenly a bone or another object that was outside the wall hit his face and injured his face. When he regained consciousness, blood had flowed from his head and face. However, he went to the presence of the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and told the story. It was here that the blessed verse was revealed:

http://ensani.ir/fa/article/149024/رویکردى-قرآنى-به-گونه-ها-و-مدلهاى-برتر-و-نازل-حجاب

The word hijab is mentioned seven times in the Holy Qur'an and the meaning of the word in these seven cases is something that prevents another thing from being seen.

http://ensani.ir/fa/article/135102/حجاب-در-قرآن

• Advanced Member

The second type of covering is the maximum veil or jilbab, which is specified in Surah Al-Ahzab:

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw closely over themselves their chadors [when going out]. That makes it likely for them to be recognized and not be troubled, and Allah is all-forgiving, all-merciful. (59)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/33:59

Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنه) :Jilbab is a robe that covers the whole body from top to bottom.

«الرداء الذی یستر من فوق الی اسفل» (زمخشری، 1352، ج 3، ص 559):

The term «رداء»"robe" refers to a covering that is worn over other clothes, such as an abaya, and its example is the abaya and Chador of Arab and Iranian women in our time. The interpretation of "bringing the رداءrobe together" in the verse of Sharifah is more compatible with the Chador and Abaya; Because its shape is such that it should be placed close to each other and on top of each other to cover the body.

From what has been said, it is clear that jilbab has different meanings: 1. Chador: similar to Iranian women's chador and Arab women's robes/Abaya; 2. Sheet: similar to the women's Chador in northern Iran; 3. A Khimar that covers the face and head and is longer than normal veil/scarf and smaller than a Chadort; Like Afghan women's veil, or according to Ragheb, it is a two-part dress (shirt and scarf) (Qamis and khimar), or according to Sahib Majmaal Al Bayan, it is a scarf with which a woman covers her head and face when leaving the house. ; Like the cover of some Syrian women, which is composed of mantle, scarf and cover.

Now, if a Muslim woman wants to make sure that she has followed what the Almighty Allah has said about physical clothing, she should follow the words of Ibn Abbas and Ibn Masoud, who are two great companions of the Messenger of Allah, may God bless him and his progeny grant them peace. . They have defined Jilbab as a garment that covers the whole body.

An example of this covering in our society is a Chador; coverage that is nationwide and comprehensive; Of course, if they use a veil that is longer than a scarf and smaller than a chador - like the long scarves of Bandar Turkaman/Turkmen women - it seems sufficient; Provided that it covers the sanctrum of hijab completely and is not loose and free.

http://in2iran.com/2019/06/08/bandar-torkaman-the-colorful-port-of-iran/

http://ensani.ir/fa/article/149024/رویکردى-قرآنى-به-گونه-ها-و-مدلهاى-برتر-و-نازل-حجاب

• Advanced Member

In addition to the topics of lexicography, there are some special points in the Jalbab verse:
1. The delay in the revelation of the desired verses in Surah Ahzab after the verses of Khimar in Surah Noor. Considering the issue of gradualness of rulings, this opinion is probable that the verse of Khimar is the first commandment and the verse of Jilbab is the final commandment. That is, the chosen and superior hijab desired by Islam is the jilbab hijab, or the all-encompassing and universal covering.
2. The generality of the Jilbab verse applies to all believing women and the wives and daughters of the Prophet, peace be upon him and his progeny, as a final and unexceptional ruling.
3. The instruction on how to cover the jilbab with the title «یدنین علیهن من جلابیبهن» (bringing the jilbab closer together), is more compatible with something like a Abya and Chador than than a dress and scarf; Because the shape of the overall dress and top is such that it should be brought close to each other and placed on top of each other to cover the body.
4. The social effect of covering Jilbab is specifically mentioned in this honorable verse, while this aspect is not mentioned for covering Khmir: « for them to be recognized and not be troubled,ذلک ادنی ان یعرفن فلا یؤذین»؛

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw closely over themselves their chadors [when going out]. That makes it likely for them to be recognized and not be troubled, and Allah is all-forgiving, all-merciful. (59)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/33:59

This jilbab covering is the closest thing by means of which faith and chastity are determined, and by this means, believing and chaste women are better known so that they are not harmed by lustful men; Therefore, thugs are forced to separate the account of these modest and covered women from women who try to pollute the society by showing off and exposing their ornaments.
In fact, corrupt youths never equate a woman who has her body completely covered from the non-Mahram 9impermissible) to a woman who is suffering from various forms of promiscuity or exposes her head hair to their polluted gaze; Therefore, they look for women and girls who, by looking, laughing, wearing make-up or the way they walk, talk and dress, invite unmarried men to the swamp of lust.

"We express this issue from our own point of view and mention our own inference, but each of the men and women should be subject to the authority of their own imitation of anyone they imitate" (ibid., p. 151). Professor Motahari, may Allah have mercy on him, believes in this matter: covering the face and hands up to the wrist is not obligatory; Even the obviousness of normal and ordinary makeup that exists in these parts, such as surma /Kohl and henna, which usually a woman is not free of these, and removing them is considered an extraordinary act, is not an obstacle. 1) They emphasize that their opinion is in line with the fatwa of some authorities, but it may not be in line with the fatwa of others; Although he reminds that there is no opposing fatwa and whatever is there is a precaution and not an explicit fatwa (ibid).

Ostad Shahid, with his philosophical basis, divides the look into two categories: "independent" and "organic". "Independent look" means looking at someone or something to take a good look at it and looking at it to evaluate it; But "organic look" means looking that is not the goal itself, but as a prelude and a means of speaking (addressing). Based on this, Allah's order for believing men and women is to avoid an independent view and not an organic view; It means avoiding a look whose purpose is only to watch and get visual pleasure (gazing) (Motahhari, 1353, pp. 140-141).

It is permissible to listen to a woman's voice if it is not for pleasure or enjoying, but at the same time, it is better to leave it as long as it is not necessary, and it is forbidden for a woman to thin her voice and make it good, so that it is provocative; As Allah  Almighty says in the Qur'an to the wives of the Holy Prophet, may Allah bless him and his progeny grant them peace: "Do not make your voice thin and excited when you speak, which will cause the greed of sick hearts" (Mutahhari, 1353, pp. 258-259).

. Hijab in behavior
The meaning of hijab is in the behavior of actions and verbs that appear through organs and ribs; Of course, due to the special emphasis of the Holy Quran on hijab in looking and hijab in speech, we have separated these two parts from hijab in behavior in order to better show their prominence and specialness.

Satisfying with the appearance and physical covering is the source of many conflicting behaviors or Quranic hijab.

It is possible that a believing woman has followed all Shari'a orders regarding the physical covering of the body, but her behavior is such that she does not observe the limits of hijab in her behavior, and this is either due to ignorance of divine commands and the limits and dimensions of hijab. And because of negligence and indulgence in the all-round observance of hijab. Another reason can be considering the physical cover as sufficient. Satisfying with the appearance and physical covering is the source of many conflicting behaviors or Quranic hijab.
The prohibition mentioned in the verse of Sharifah is related to the discussion of adornment in the physical hijab and speaks of revealing and expressing hidden feminine adornments. Expressing without showing off, that is, carelessness or feminine cunning in showing  and showing off.

According to the previous content, it should be noted that the intention of women to relax in their homes is a special thing, not a permanent thing, as the continuation of the noble verse with its special prohibition makes this matter more clear.

The root of hijab and chastity is in the heart; That is, this is the heart of a person that must be adorned with the ornaments of worship and be kept away from the air of the soul, otherwise, no matter how much he observes the other dimensions of covering, if the heart has not reached the piety desired by Hazrat Haq in this regard, it is as if the most naked person Is; Even if she is the most dressed person

Yet the garment of Godwariness—that is the best.’

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/7:26

In this area, it is appropriate to use the research that deals with the relationship between young girls and boys and was compiled in the summer of last year; A research that shows the lack of attention to all the Quranic aspects of hijab and chastity. This research was done in a descriptive way with a sample population of more than seven thousand people in the country[Iran] . Below we mention some of the most important findings of this research:

1. Usually, a random meeting and exchange of glances (lack of hijab dimension in glance) initiates a relationship with the opposite sex. About two-thirds of the sample have tried to establish a relationship through face-to-face meetings, about one-third by phone, and about ten percent by mail and the Internet (lack of attention to observing the dimension of hijab in speech and behavior).

2. About 33% of the people in the statistical sample have met with the opposite sex more than 8 times and these meetings lasted from 15 to 90 minutes.
3. Girls have used the phone more than boys; For example, 36 percent of 22-year-old girls had 7 phone conversations during the week. This ratio for boys of the same age was 18%.

4. More than 77% of people have written letters to their opposite sex at most 5 times.

5. For more than 40% of the sample, the street was the first place to start communication with the opposite sex. About 15% have had a relationship at a family party, 15% at the university, 12% at the park, and the remaining 20% at places such as the other party's house, friendly parties, the mountain, and other places. .

6. 30% of people consider friendship as their most important motivation for establishing a relationship (lack of effort to observe hijab in the heart and hijab in behavior).

7. Expression of affection from the opposite sex is considered the most important factor in creating a friendship relationship, and physical beauty, wealth, and level of education are ranked second to fourth.

What is important is that no one should see himself forced by law to use the hijab (external obligation through family or society), unless she first knows and believes in the principle and norms of hijab, and then the superior aspects of the value of the chador. compared to other hijabs and understand the compatibility of this type of hijab with the Holy Qur'an and the Sunnah and the way of the Ahl al-Bayt (peace be upon them). We believe that if someone goes through the previous stage, he will certainly choose the most complete option; It means hijab and the value of the Chador.

But unfortunately, due to anti-cultural attacks and satanic inductions and sensual temptations, which never leave a person, today's value society is infected not only with anti-value things, but also with abnormal things in a wide range. has been It means that today's norm is a problem and a social pain; Although we have proven in the discussions related to the Quranic hijab of the chador that by making the culture of the chador less prominent - and not just the cover of the chador - the way to promote the abnormalities of hijab and non-hijab is opened faster and deeper. .
In a society that is suffering from abnormal calamities, it is necessary to promote values; But before that, it is more necessary to explain and establish the norms; In fact, forgetting religious values, including the hijab of the Chador, and simply being satisfied with the norm of hijab, that is not the sharia and Quranic hijab, is a serious danger and deadly trap. By not talking about values, the Islamic society will not find the optimal religious and cultural development.
In other words, the hijab norm and the value of the Chador are necessary and obligatory for each other, and one should not be sacrificed for the other.

Here we examine the aspects and evidences that show the superiority and value (human, natural, religious and Islamic value) of the veil of the Chadort:
1. Compliance with the maximum hijab of the Holy Quran in the amount and manner of wearing it: As stated in the topic of the Quranic hijab, the chador is completely consistent with the jilbab hijab.
2. Harmony with the life of the Ahl al-Bayt (peace be upon them) in various dimensions, especially the color of the hijab: despite the unwise words of some intellectuals against the black color of the chador, what can be clearly obtained from the life of the Infallibles (peace be upon them), the use of a Black abay is the best veil for believing women.
3. Consonance with women's nature in the field of chastity and modesty: the chador is superior to any other type of hijab in that it helps Muslim women better and more in maintaining modesty and chastity.
4. Coordination with the efficient and effective social presence of women in Islamic and Shia ways and manners: the necessity of the timely and efficient presence of Muslim women in the society requires that this manifestation of Allahd's beauty is armed with a full veil and not a cumbersome veil. The chador, with its complete covering, raises the woman as a human being in the society and gives her the possibility of all kinds of social activities. The social presence of Hazrat Siddiqa (peace be upon him) and the wives of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and wive of prophet (pbu) and other Muslim women at the early days of Islam shows this.
5. Greater compatibility with jurisprudence and Shariah rulings in other dimensions of hijab (look/behavior): Quranic hijab is easily worn in all dimensions with optimal observance of the tent culture. Avoiding tabraj, hiding ornaments, and avoiding aiding in sin are among these cases. In tent culture, with the possibility of hiding more in front of prying eyes, one can hide oneself and prevent the sins of the impure. With this method, a tented woman will not be a means of their pleasure and lust. With the sameness and similarity of the chador, the background of many examples of tabaruj  (showing off)disappears by itself, and due to the color of the black consonant, the possibility of male irritation (attracting the attention of the non mahram) is reduced to the minimum possible, and with the long and wideness of the chador and Covering Muslim women from head to toe is the best way to cover up hidden ornaments.
6. Harmonization with the civilizational background of the nations: civilized nations, as evidenced by the repeated pages of history in different societies, both eastern and western, have agreed on the complete and tent-like covering of women; That is, wherever a civilization has reached growth and prosperity, it brings tent-like covering to women, and with the decline of civilizations, this achievement also becomes shaky and vulgar. What has been accepted and happened in the civilized nations of the world has been objectified in the best possible way in the veil of the Chador; In addition, it does not have the physical and cultural defects of previous examples, such as: women staying at home, veiling, lack of social presence and possibly parasitism. In addition to that, at some points in history, the full hijab and Chador-like veil was reserved for noble and aristocratic women, and other women in the lower social and economic classes were deprived of this advantage or shortcoming (1); While in the thought of the great Islamic civilization, the hijab of the tent is independent of the mentioned limitations and features and has nothing exclusive to the upper social classes and can be used optimally and without discrimination for all Muslim and believing women alike.

Below are the special features of this hijab:
1. High degree of coverage: the veil of the Chador as an all-over cover and upper cover that is used by women due to its wide coverage covers the woman from the top of the head to the bottom; A front cover that is worn over other clothes.
2. Stability of shape: the common Iranian women's chador is a wheeled chador or a sugar hat, which is actually a complete semicircle, and the only difference is the difference in its height, which is related to the height of the person using it; Because this veil always covers the bottom of the woman's legs and shorter than that is considered appropriate and unconventional. This chador is sewn equally for all women of different sizes and has a fixed shape.
3. Color stability: The color stability of the Iranian women's social uniform is one of its special features that makes it special compared to many women's national costumes in the world. This stability of color itself is another obstacle to attract the attention of strangers.
4. Exclusive color: Black is the exclusive and exclusive color of the official Iranian chador for women. Due to the fact that the colors are divided into two types, dark and light, and because dark colors do not attract the attention and excitement of non-mahrams, Iranian Muslim women choose black as the permanent color of their hijab. have done; Because black color is considered a silent and non-stimulating color and is far from attracting any kind of inappropriate attention.
Of course, it should be mentioned that although the color of Iranian women's chador has not been black from the beginning, it has always had muted and dark colors. The previous colors of Iranian women's veils throughout history were: azure, indigo, pea and mashi.

چادر اصیل ایرانی یا چادر کمری
Authentic Iranian tent or waist Chador
The waist veil or the original Iranian veil that was used for women's social presence is a comprehensive veil whose legitimacy has been and is approved by jurists. This Iranian jilbab, whose users called it "more covered than a Chadort, more comfortable than a mantle", has special merits that today, after more than four centuries, are still a suitable and optimal model. It is
Some of the advantages of this tent are:
1. The proportional distribution of the weight of the Chadort to the waist and head is such that the head bears between a quarter and a third of the said weight.
2. Its abaya stitching in the waist, which removes it from the straight form and prevents the body volume from showing through two means: one by a little abaya-like folds on the back and on the ridges, and the other by three A layer of fabric that is placed about forty centimeters on the back from the waist. By this means, even with the most strenuous physical activity or the most severe external factors (storms), the body volume is not visible.
3. It does not attract attention due to its great similarity in appearance, especially the covering, to a normal tent; In fact, a tent in which it is possible to cover, because the elbow of the hand supports the chest during covering, it makes the breast prominence unclear and the volume of the body in the front part is less visible.
4. The fact that the front of the Chador is closed to the waist, it significantly overshadows its uprightness; In such a way that with accessories such as: "head tie", "chin mask", "veil" and "band in front of the Chadort", the freedom of action of both hands is possible easily and by maintaining the full hijab. to be
5. Closing the chadorto the waist connects it seriously and effortlessly to the body and makes it easy and simple to control; In such a way that to collect it, there is no need to hold it under your arms and grab your teeth.
6. In this Chadornt, both hands are free and it will give a person the possibility of activity and double comfort in social and recreational activities.
7. In this chador, if the covering is left, the hijab will still remain in effect and the privacy of the hijab will not be reduced.
8. Due to the comfort of this chador, it will be very suitable for girls to get used to the hijab before and at the beginning of that age; Because it is completely in harmony with their spirit of joy and childish play and does not get stuck under their hands and feet.
9. In all special physical conditions, including pregnancy period, arthritis of the neck, arthritis of the fingers, back pain, use of canes and the like, a desired hijab is complete, comfortable and safe.
10. Due to the comfort and ease of this tent, it is not difficult to carry a baby and a child and to carry the necessary items such as a travel bag, equipment and necessities of technical and art students.
11. The fact that the front of the tent is closed does not require it to be accompanied by a mantle.
12. Closing the front of the chadort reduces its vulnerability and damage (such as being stepped on, stepping on the spokes of a motor wheel, etc.) to about zero; Because the lower part of the tent is straight and cylindrical, it is level with the entire circumference of the foot and does not necessarily have contact with the ground, unless someone measures his tent very long and up to the heel of the shoe, or uses it in the wrong way. .
13. The cylindrical nature of the Chadort at the bottom of the foot provides the possibility of optimal hygiene of the tent; Because the perimeter of the foot of the tent is the same and flat, so that neither the back nor the front is in contact with the ground.