In the Name of God بسم الله

Is there something wrong with me?

Rate this topic

Guest Askingtolearn31313

Guest Askingtolearn31313

Salam everyone, I just want to see if anyone is going through what I am going through and can help me out or guide me.

So the older I get the weird I get, I become more superstitious.

I don't really know how to explain it so the best way is to give you guys examples of things I do in my day to day life.

When ever I touch something I don’t like, for example, in our kitchen table I only sot in one chair if I touch any other chair even a little bit I would go and wash my hands two times, some times just with water some times with soap and water.

When ever I touch any of my family members I do the same. I would do the same with everyone else but outdoors it is harder to get ahold of water.

When sitting on the couch I only sit on one aide of the couch and if I touch the other side I would go and wash my hands twice.

I can list many many many things like that.

The problem is if I don’t do that I won’t feel good and it feels like something bad is going to happen.

I also do everything in odd numbers, even kissing my nephew on the cheeks I count odd numbers ever time to make sure I never end with even number.

If you guys want I could list more stuff I do but I hope that is enough for you guys to understand me.

I feel like I am missing something if I don’t do these things and feels like something bad is going to happen.

Also another thing is that for example if I do a certain thing maybe reading a certain dua before doing Ziaraat imam Hussein then or the other way around and the next day or the same day something bad happens then I don’t do it again because I associate it to that. If that makes sense.

The terrifying thing is that when ever I do try to break one of these something bad does happen.

Or im a tripping?

I hope this is enough for you guys to understand me and see what I go through.

It is taking a toll on me and I feel it will only get worse as time goes.

Any suggestions, ahadiths, videos, or anything would help.

Thanks everyone!

• Advanced Member

I have tried to ignore it and that only makes it worse. But when I pay attention to the doubts, it annoys me and again makes it worse. It seems as if there is no solution.

Zaid Alsalami, Shaykh Dr Zaid Alsalami is an Iraqi born scholar, raised in Australia. He obtained a BA from Al-Mustafa University, Qom, and an MA from the Islamic College in London. He also obtained a PhD from...Answer updated 3 years ago

Bismihi ta'ala

Just because you might have some doubts, or even excessive doubts about certain things, it does not mean you have "OCD". We must remember that such problems must be diagnosed by a psychologist or a professional in that field. 

Scrupulosity starts off very innocently, due to one's concern about getting their religious acts right and valid. However, it turns in a very bad state that make one very miserable in the areas they suffer in.

Instead of feeling a sense of spiritual uplifting or inner-peace, waswasah becomes a burden and leads to hating religious practices.

Please watch this presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2HGVepaC8&feature=youtu.be

Wassalam 12-zaid_alsalami-381.jpg?itok=IagxioOD

How to cure doubt and obsessive compulsive disorder?

Satan deceives such a person in a way that he/she does not consider himself/herself ill; rather considers others to be astray from the right path and not following the religion! But the scientific way, then thinking and reflecting, it is better that the human being’s deeds are based on thinking and reflecting

The person who wants to do a task must consider that God is also satisfied with that task; from whom and where to take it from, in order that its quality is this and that. It is clear that the general public find out about the quality of the deed from religious scholars and their books. So, when we refer to the books of the religious scholars, the obsessive compulsive action/deed is rejected and some of the deeds by such person are declared as void (Batel); and when we refer to noble narrations and Divine Book (the Quran), we see that such deeds are considered to be from Satan and the wisdom of such person has been taken away. Therefore, in this situation, if Satan has not dominated the wisdom, the wise person think and reflect awhile, and must make a firm decision to avoid such corrupt action, and make sure to rectify his/her (wrong) deed for the satisfaction of God [1].

[1] Sharhe Chehel Hadith, Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه), Page 405.

https://en.shafaqna.com/62560/how-to-cure-doubt-and-obsessive-compulsive-disorder/

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Uni Student said:

This is obsessive compulsive disorder. Seek a therapist or medication. Your condition will not improve with just dua

I think both brothers have hit the proverbial nail etc....

It sounds like a mild case of OCD,  however as is often the case and as you yourself have noticed , this behavior is reinforced by actions and can progressively get worse if not sorted properly.

I would find a psychologist with expertise in cognitive and behavioral psychological experience. You likely don't need long therapy but just coping and management strategies.

Self help books are also useful.

It's not an  end of the world and you will get thru with Allah's help, remember...from Dua e Kumayl

Wa man ismuha dawaah

Wa zikruhu Shifaa

• Advanced Member
On 9/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, Guest Askingtolearn31313 said:

Salam everyone, I just want to see if anyone is going through what I am going through and can help me out or guide me.

I don't really know how to explain it so the best way is to give you guys examples of things I do in my day to day life.

When ever I touch something I don’t like, for example, in our kitchen table I only sot in one chair if I touch any other chair even a little bit I would go and wash my hands two times, some times just with water some times with soap and water.

When ever I touch any of my family members I do the same. I would do the same with everyone else but outdoors it is harder to get ahold of water.

When sitting on the couch I only sit on one aide of the couch and if I touch the other side I would go and wash my hands twice.

The problem is if I don’t do that I won’t feel good and it feels like something bad is going to happen.

I also do everything in odd numbers, even kissing my nephew on the cheeks I count odd numbers ever time to make sure I never end with even number.

If you guys want I could list more stuff I do but I hope that is enough for you guys to understand me.

I feel like I am missing something if I don’t do these things and feels like something bad is going to happen.

Also another thing is that for example if I do a certain thing maybe reading a certain dua before doing Ziaraat imam Hussein then or the other way around and the next day or the same day something bad happens then I don’t do it again because I associate it to that. If that makes sense.

The terrifying thing is that when ever I do try to break one of these something bad does happen.

Or im a tripping?

Thanks everyone!

It is OCD but you can get out of it if you try. I had similar condition when I was in my teen years and I was really worried as to how could I get rid of it. The thing which made me not to touch other stuff was that whether I was getting impure by touching anything near me. If you have same problem, you must know that when you touch any other place except where you are sitting or by touching any human, you are not getting any germs or impure unless if you see them they have touched impure things or if they are polytheists in which case you need to wash hands. Other than that do not bother yourself with such wiswas it is just wrongful thoughts of brain. 

• Advanced Member
On 9/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, Guest Askingtolearn31313 said:

Or im a tripping?

Thanks everyone!

OCD, my dear brother.

Do not overthink. Busy yourself with some busying activity. Trust in yourself. Break the cycle of compulsion. Remember, if Allah helps you, none can overcome you. Remember Allah.

Try these things.

Guest Askingtolearn31313

Thank you guys for this, I just needed to know exactly whats wrong with me. 

I believe I am very string mentally, I mean that is the only thing I can control, if I can’t even control my mind than what can I do?

So I decided to just stop these acts, its been going a bit better now I am making great progress, whenever I see something wrong on the couch or kitchen table I just leave it along, whenever I think something bad will happen if I don’t do a certain thing I just say “well, everything is in Gods hands and he is the only one who controls these things”.

Once again thank you guys so much for helping me!

Jazakim allah khair.