In the Name of God بسم الله

Bots flooding social media with pro-US propaganda demonizing Iran & Russia

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
On 10/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, notme said:

Most of my family are a bunch of right wingers who get their opinions straight from fox news. 

My friends tend to focus more on local issues because that's where we can actually make a difference,  though we do discuss national and international events too.  We just don't trust any media and acknowledge that we don't know anything in full.  

I don't have much of a circle.  I'm kind of isolated.  

But they must have been subjected to some flow of information that made them predisposed to Fox News, right? 

That's how the information war works. You never know that you are being fed propaganda. 

• Advanced Member
On 10/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, notme said:

There has never been a neutral in any conflict, but there have been conflicts where there were no "good guys".

There have also been cases where the good guy was made to look like the bad guy, and many stayed 'neutral' under that perception. 

For example, consider Muawiya (la)'s propaganda warfare against Imam Ali (as); the brainwashing of the Syrians, and the role of 'neutrals' like Abu Musa Ash'ari, or even the kharijites who precisely upheld the 'no good guys in this war' line; which side they ultimately ended up benefitting because of their 'both sides' logic. 

I have no reason to believe that the enemies today are not deploying this very tactic, especially when they have much more sophisticated weaponry at their disposal. 

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

As far as 'self awareness', we have some evidence (again probably need another thread for this) that extremely sophisticated AI can get to the point where it is self aware. Does that mean that it is 'alive' in the Islamic definition or that it has a soul, in the Islamic definition. No. If that were the case, then we would have to give it rights, like we give animals and the natural world. Because it has no such rights, it is also not considered something with a soul. 

I can understand hesitating to definitively say, “yes,” but I don’t see on what basis would one definitively say “no.” That would seem to be going beyond the bounds of what can be justified as a conclusion. 

God sees fit to endow suitably complex biological substrates, such as our brains, with a soul. Who are we to deny God the ability to choose to do the same with a suitably complex silicon “brain”?

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

At the same time, when you say the word 'think' or 'thinking', to me anyway, this describes a process of taking in information from the world around you, thru the senses, processing that information based on what you already know about the world and then adding that information to the information you have, and then acting on that information based on some set of goals that you have. If we go with that definition of 'thinking', then AI can already do that, and in many cases can do it better than we as human beings can. As far as 'self awareness', we have some evidence (again probably need another thread for this) that extremely sophisticated AI can get to the point where it is self aware. Does that mean that it is 'alive' in the Islamic definition or that it has a soul, in the Islamic definition. No. If that were the case, then we would have to give it rights, like we give animals and the natural world. Because it has no such rights, it is also not considered something with a soul. 

But thinking is rational and that is connected to consciousness and consciousness is immaterial and computers do not have such a thing, thus self-awareness is impossibility.

and then acting on that information based on some set of goals that you have

If I ask a computer what is your favorite color, then it will give you always different answer or the answer is never based on real feelings and experience. Because it really can't not understand them. What it will do is that it will search for all available data that what people actually have experienced about the color and based on that could form some approximation answer that fits the best the question giving.