In the Name of God بسم الله

Can we truly describe God?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Beautiful hadith. Some others which reminds me of our incapability to describe Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى):

Muhammad ibn Hasan ibn Ahmad ibn Walid (رضي الله عنه) said: Muhammad ibn Yahya al-`Attar said, on the authority of Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn `Isa, on the authority of his father, on the authority of Muruk ibn `Ubayd, on the authority of Jumay’ ibn `Amr that Al-Sadiq (عليه السلام) asked me “What is the meaning of `Allahu Akbar’?” I replied, “Allah is greater than everything.” He (عليه السلام) said: “He was there when nothing existed. Then was it possible to say at that time that Allah is greater than everything?” I asked, “Then what is its meaning?” He replied, “Allah is greater than what He can be attributed with.”

https://thaqalayn.net/hadith/14/2/46/2

Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Yahya la-`Attar (رضي الله عنه) said: My father said, on the authority of Sahl ibn Ziyad al-Adami, on the authority of Ibn Mahbub, on the authority of who related to him that A man came to al-Sadiq (عليه السلام) and said: “Allah is the Greatest [Allahu Akbar]!” The Imam (عليه السلام) asked him, “What is Allah greater than?” The man answered, “Greater than everything!” Al-Sadiq (عليه السلام) replied, “You have brought Allah down to the level of a door.” The requested, “What should I say then?” He (عليه السلام) said: “Say Allah is greater than anything that can be described.”

https://thaqalayn.net/hadith/14/2/46/1

Edited by Ibn Tayyar