In the Name of God بسم الله

Removal of najasat from surface

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

ASA,

I am currently potty training my toddler. The other day, she urinated all over the hardwood floors of my house, all the way up the stairs and to the top floor. I immediately dried it with paper towel. Usually, I clean my floors with a steam mop periodically. However, in this case I'm not sure what needs to be done to properly remove the najasa. I believe a certain amount of water needs to flow over the affected surfaces, but not usually a good thing for hardwood. Also, not sure of the exact location of every drop at this point, as I quickly dried it after it happened. I'm not paranoid that if my feet are ever wet and I walk across any portion of the area affected, the najasa will transfer to me. 

Please advise. 

• Advanced Member

Salam,

If you follow Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, then one wash with qalil water or kurr water is sufficient to purify the najis areas of the floor. So you should pour water over the impure areas after removing the urine, then you should remove the impure used water with a towel or something similar if you washed the floor with qalil water.

If you do not remove the used water with a towel, then whatever the impure used water had touched remains najis (third mutanajjis), but it doesn't make anything else impure after drying because third mutanajjis things do not make anything else impure according to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani.

Ruling 174. If ground that is paved with stone or brick, or hard ground that does not absorb water, becomes impure, it can be purified with qalīl water; however, one must pour water over it to the extent that it flows. And if the water that is poured over it does not disappear down holes in the ground but instead gathers somewhere, then in order to purify that place, the gathered water must be removed with a cloth or a utensil.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2139/

Ruling 25. If qalīl water is poured onto an impure object in order to remove an intrinsic impurity from it and the qalīl water separates from the impure object, and if the impure object is from among those things that do not become pure by washing once(1),16 then in such a case, the qalīl water [that has separated from it] is impure. Similarly, if after removing the intrinsic impurity, qalīl water is poured onto an impure object in order to purify it and the qalīl water separates from it, then based on obligatory precaution it is impure.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2118/

Ruling 154. If a person wants to wash with qalīl water an object that has become impure with urine, in the event that water is poured over it once and separates from it and urine does not remain on the object, it becomes pure. However, with clothing and a person’s body, water must be poured over it twice in order for it to become pure. As for washing clothing, rugs, and similar things with qalīl water, in all cases, one must wring them until the remaining water comes out (and the meaning of ‘the remaining water’ is water that usually drips out by itself or by wringing at the time of washing and after washing).

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2139/

Ruling 119. If a pure object touches an impure object and both or one of them is wet – such that the wetness of one transfers onto the other – the pure object also becomes impure; however, it does not become impure through multiple intermediaries [i.e. the transfer of impurity is limited to two intermediaries].

An example: if the right hand has become impure (mutanajjis) with urine, and [after drying,] that hand touches the left hand with a new wetness, this touching causes the left hand to become impure; and if after drying, the left hand touches some wet clothing, for example, the clothing also becomes impure; but, if the clothing touches some other wet object, that other object is not ruled as being impure. Furthermore, if the wetness is so little that it does not transfer onto another object, the object that was pure does not become impure even if it touches an intrinsic impurity.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2136/