In the Name of God بسم الله

"I saw my Lord curly-haired and beardless..."

Rate this topic

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Salaam Aleikum,

From the Islamweb site:

The hadeeth that you referred to in the question was cited by Al-Bayhaqi on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbaas, and the scholars ruled that it is an objectionable hadeeth (Munkar) and that it is not authentic.

Al-Albaani said in As-Silsilah Adh-Dha'eefah, “As for the Marfoo’ (directly attributed to the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) hadeeth by Hammaad ibn Salamah, from Qataadah, from ‘Ikrimah, from Ibn ‘Abbaas, with the wording “I saw my Lord, curly-haired and beardless, wearing a green robe”; then it is an objectionable report, as stated by Ath-Thahabi in As-Siyar.”

Ibn Al-Jawzi said in Al-‘Ilal Al-Mutanaahiyah, “This hadeeth is not proven, and all its narrations are from Hammaad ibn Salamah. Ibn ‘Adiyy said, ‘It was said that Ibn Abu Al-Awjaa’ was the stepson of Hammaad, and he used to insert these ahaadeeth into his books.”

This hadeeth was also narrated by Umm At-Tufayl with the wording, “I saw my Lord in a dream in the best form; an honorable young man, His feet are in green, wearing gold shoes, lying on a gold bed (or while moths of gold are falling around him).”

Ash-Shawkaani said in Al-Fawaa’id Al-Majmoo‘ah fee Al-Ahaadeeth Al-Mawdhoo‘ah, “It was narrated by Al-Khateeb from Umm At-Tufayl, the wife of Abu Ka‘b, and it is a fabricated hadeeth, and its chain of narrators includes a fabricator, a liar, and an unknown reporter.”

---

But look what hadith is authentic according to Ahmad b. Hanbal and Ibn Taymiyya:

"I saw my Lord in the form of a young man, beardless (amrad) with short curly hair (ja'd) and clothed in a red garment."

Narrated by Ahmad b.Hanbal in Tabarani; authenticated by Ahmed b. Hanbal in Creed 3 citing isnad, 'Abd al-Samad b.Yahya in Tabaqat al-Hanabila, 1:218, al-Marrudhi (d.888) in Tabaqat, 3:81, Ibn 'Aqil in Makdisi, Ibn 'Aqil, 130; Ibn 'Adi al-Qattan, al-Kamil fi du'afa' al-rijal, 3:49-50; al-Daraqutni, Kitab al-Ru'ya, 332-333; 356-357; al-Tabarani, al-Mu'jam al-Kabir, 25:143;
Sahih by Abu l-Hasan b. Bashshar in Ibn Abi Ya'la, Tabaqat, 2:59; Abu Ya'la, al-Muta'mad, 85: accepted by Ibn Taymiyya in Bayan Tablis al-Jahmiyyah, 7:192-198, 290

But all this happened in dream. Somehow it is acceptable for these people that God comes in form of man in dream? Majority of Sunni scholars accept that God can be seen in dream but not in manifestation in person. But that contradicts the adove narration.

Shia Belief:

Ibrahim al-Karkhi narrated:

I said to Ja'far Ibn Muhammad al-Sadiq (AS): "There is a man who claims to see Allah in dream. How is this possible?" He (عليه السلام) replied: "That man has no religion. Verily Allah can be seen neither in awareness, nor in dream, nor in this world, nor in the Hereafter."

- al-Amali, Shaikh Saduq, p610, Hadith #5
- Bihar al-Anwar, v4, p32, Hadith #7

This means that we do not say that if a person says he saw a dream that manifest some of the attribute of God in it's limitedness that he saw God Himself. But Sunnis scholars say otherwise. Seeing God is impossible in any form of manifestation, to say that they saw God even in dream limits God and thus it is not God. 

Ibn Taymiyyah with his clever deceiving way try to tackle this issue by his typical Athari narrative:

Ibn Taymiyah and others said that it is possible for a person to see his Lord in a dream, but what they see is not how He really is, because there is nothing like unto Allaah.

This is like saying you can see Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but at the same time it is not Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). So did you see Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)? And if there is nothing like unto Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), in hereafter is the vision of Allah a like unto Allah? If it is a like unto Allah then it contradict the Qur'an statement 'There is nothing like unto Allah'.

Edited by Abu Nur

• Basic Members
Just now, -Rejector- said:

The tawheed of Ibn Taymiyyah and the Wahhabis is worse than the Christian tawheed.

This is why we need the Quran AND Ahlulbayt (a).

I don't see any error regarding Taymiyyah's tawhid.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Yaseen Taqi said:

I don't see any error regarding Taymiyyah's tawhid.

Athari Twaheed is influenced (influenced by Ibn Khulab) from Christian trinitarian theological beliefs about the relation of son (represent the sifat of Knowledge and Life of God) is not equal to Father (The Essence), similiariry the Athari believe that God have sifat's that are independent from His Essence which is polytheism. They believe that God Essence is distinct from his sifat, well that what trinitians also believe.

There is absolute no Prophet (saws) hadith and Qur'anic verses that support that God attributes are distinct from His Essence. But actually what does it support is the God simplicity when Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said:

Qul Huwa Allāhu 'Aĥadun

Allāhu Aş-Şamadu

Ahad denotes Absolute Oneness that is unique and cannot take a second or be divided. Ahad is Internal Oneness which means one unto itself. Thus distinctions is impossible for God.

Edited by Abu Nur