In the Name of God بسم الله

Eating or distributing meat in Muharram ...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Alsalam alaikum 

Some people avoid eating meat during the first 10 days of Muharram, and by meat i mean chicken as well.

Should we avoid meat and if we want to distribute food...do we have to be careful for it to not have any meat in it ? Has anyone heard about this or if someone practises it and can let me know... 

I used to make a good meal on 10th of Muharram and do khatam for Imam Hussain AS but shall I abstain from it?

Thank you

• Advanced Member

to my knowledge this is just another one of those customs some momineen might like to do although I haven't seen any basis to it from hadith. Here in the UK if you go to any arab or english majlis, you have meat like 7 times and chicken the rest, essentially every night is a kind of meat. Meat is mostly served through timan qeema( rice with a special sauce, one of the most delicious things you'll taste)

maybe it could depend on your community. If the people you know partake in this custom, then don't serve meat, but if this isn't a trend in your community, make a meal on the 10th and serve it. May Allah reward you!

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ani said:

Alsalam alaikum 

Some people avoid eating meat during the first 10 days of Muharram, and by meat i mean chicken as well.

Should we avoid meat and if we want to distribute food...do we have to be careful for it to not have any meat in it ? Has anyone heard about this or if someone practises it and can let me know... 

I used to make a good meal on 10th of Muharram and do khatam for Imam Hussain AS but shall I abstain from it?

Thank you

It's just another cultural invention which has no basis in religion. You can eat and distribute meat dishes as niyaz too. 

Wassalam. 

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Ani said:

Alsalam alaikum 

Thank you

You do not need to abstain from it.

Unfortunately, this is another one of those cultural superstitions, that eating meat makes the heart "hard" towards the tragedy of Karbala, and moreover brings bad luck to those who consume it in the days of Muharram. 

It goes without saying that this is obviously not true, however if it's looked down upon in your community, you can choose to refrain from it out of courtesy.

• Advanced Member

There is no concrete answer to your question because it can be looked into via eyes of either faith or religion. The religion doesn't say no to meat during these days. I am sure my more knowledgeable brothers and sister can give you better examples to support this. But when it comes to ones own faith be it individual or as a community or society, it is just love for the Shohada taking shape of abstinence for things which we personally feel make our lives comfortable. It is away of expressing grief in their own way.

I personally know of people that avoid meat, sleep on the floor, avoid using styling products on their face and hair as a sign of their love for the Martyred Imam and his family and Ashaab, as they feel these are they things they wouldn't do when there is death in their own family.

So ultimately it is about their own personal belief, doing these or not, doesn't make us any less of a lover of Ahlulbayt in these days.