In the Name of God بسم الله

Looking for a marja

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

:bismillah:

:salam:

I'm looking for a marja:

1. Who knows English and delivers public lectures.

2. Explains rationale/sources behind his fatawa to public when asked.

3. Who must have a good presence on social media. He must be conducting Q/A on live video stream at least once a month.

4. Besides dialogues with Sunnis, he must have penchant for interfaith dialogue (with Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics, etc). And he must be ready to answer any questions raised by adherents of these faiths/ideologies.

If anybody knows a marja with some of above qualities, please do inform me via this thread.

PS. All these things mentioned above are need of this modern globalised world. A good scholar should have all of these qualities.

• Forum Administrators
On 8/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, The Alchemist said:

If anybody knows a marja with some of above qualities, please do inform me via this thread.

Salam, Brother. You need to do your own research for such an important issue as finding a marja. There is a topic with links to Ayatullahs here:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/71812-grand-ayatullahs-choose-your-marja/

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, The Alchemist said:

:bismillah:

:salam:

I'm looking for a marja:

1. Who knows English and delivers public lectures.

2. Explains rationale/sources behind his fatawa to public when asked.

3. Who must have a good presence on social media. He must be conducting Q/A on live video stream at least once a month.

4. Besides dialogues with Sunnis, he must have penchant for interfaith dialogue (with Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics, etc). And he must be ready to answer any questions raised by adherents of these faiths/ideologies.

PS. All these things mentioned above are need of this modern globalised world. A good scholar should have all of these qualities.

Fadlallah was great for all of this (aside from the English part). Sadly, he was not appreciated enough in his day and passed too soon. 

Have you ever considered following more of an institutional marjaiyyah
As in considering the institution of marjaiyyah as a whole as a pool of qualified guidance you can call on for their insight into different issues?

Then you don’t have to worry about picking one but you can still feel comfortable you’re getting opinions that have a basis to them. 

Edited by kadhim

• Advanced Member

Wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah.

#1 and #3 Being able to speak English and delivering lectures in English are two different things. Ayatollahs such as Imam Khamenei, Mohsen Araki, speak English. But they don't live in an English speaking society now. So, they speak Persian etc. instead. But their speeches, especially speeches of Imam Khamenei are always translated, subtitled and shared on khamenei.ir English page, purestreammedia websites etc. Even not Ayatullahs are active on social media. You can check Ali Reza Panahian's English accounts for example. But for them to speak and deliver lectures in English, they must live in an English speaking society. If this is a must for you I suggest the like sof Ayatullah Ibrahim Zakzaky.

#2 They usually do when asked. Or they do the same in their papers. In fact there is a website called islamquest.net where you can see their arguments for the fatawas.

#4 They can't be active in that themselves, but their students and representatives are. So you could follow the Hujjat al Islams and other scholars representing a specific marja abroad. I mean the likes of Prof. Dr. Hassan Rahimpour Azghadi for instance. You gotta love his speeches in different gatherings. My favourites are his speeches in Tajikistan, Palestine and Venezuela. Or the likes of the late Nader Talebzadeh for instance. He hosted shows in English on Ofogh TV.

My suggestion is that you follow Imam Khamenei, his websites and social media accounts. And also the hujjat al islams, the professors, etc who are appointed by him and  represent him in different countries and gatherings.

• Advanced Member
On 8/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, kadhim said:

Have you ever considered following more of an institutional marjaiyyah?

Do you mean Ihtiyat i.e. following by pick & choose of fatawa of the maraja?

• Advanced Member
On 8/9/2022 at 7:43 AM, Hameedeh said:

Salam, Brother. You need to do your own research for such an important issue as finding a marja. There is a topic with links to Ayatullahs here:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/71812-grand-ayatullahs-choose-your-marja/

Saw this list. It has photos and links only.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Do you mean Ihtiyat i.e. following by pick & choose of fatawa of the maraja?

Well, in general it means rather than think of taqleed as choosing one and only reference for questions, you just consider the whole set of maraja as a bank of experts you can ask. This is true to the texts of Islam, because the texts we have just say “ask the people who narrate our traditions.”

What this looks like could take different forms. 

You could for example one marja’s views more convincing for one area, but for example another you find is sharper on medical ethics. So you consult that expect specifically on medical ethics.

Or you could survey different opinions and take different approaches to that.

Ihtiyat would be to always take the hardest or most conservative of those opinions. People who are extremely cautious like this approach.  But you could also just as legitimately just pick whichever view gives you the most yaqeen. The one that speaks to you the best. Or you could even just pick the view that is easiest, sort of reverse ihtiyat. All of these are legitimate, because if you’re consulting people who know the sources and have a method, the views are “based.” (Did I use that right, GenZ-ers? :grin:).

• Forum Administrators
On 8/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, The Alchemist said:

Saw this list. It has photos and links only.

The link to each Ayatullah's website is extremely valuable as a resource. Read what you can about the rulings of each Ayatullah who interests you as a marja. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

The link to each Ayatullah's website is extremely valuable as a resource. Read what you can about the rulings of each Ayatullah who interests you as a marja. 

Guide me. Do you know any marja who:

1. does not deem peaceful non-Muslims as physically impure (najis)

2. does not deem wudhu as obligatory for touching Qur'an

3. To whom, folding arms in qiyam, even in non-Taqiya/normal circumstances, does not invalidate the prayer.

Edited by The Alchemist

• Advanced Member
On 8/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, kadhim said:

Fadlallah was great for all of this (aside from the English part). Sadly, he was not appreciated enough in his day and passed too soon. 

This is so very true, and was a beacon of light among the marjae. He was however appreciated among those who lived in Lebanon and the western world. 

• Advanced Member
53 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I would suggest you follow  brother@kadhim very astute and practical suggestions above regarding choosing a marjae.

Attempts to fit square pegs into round holes will result in disappointment.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

1. does not deem peaceful non-Muslims as physically impure (najis)

2. does not deem wudhu as obligatory for touching Qur'an

3. To whom, folding arms in qiyam, even in non-Taqiya/normal circumstances, does not invalidate the prayer.

Salam

1. Grand Aytollah Sistani & Imam Khamenei  & in sismilar fashion rest of Shia marjas likewise Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi have deemed  "peaceful non-Muslims" from people of book pure (Tahir) but on the other hand all of them have deemed rest of non-Muslims likewise Hindus , Buddhists & in similar fashion rest of pagans as  impure (Najis) ,whether they are peaceful or not. 
  2. "Wudu as obligatory for touching Qur'an" has been made obligatory based on clear order from prophet Muhammad (pbu) & all of infallible Imams which all of Marjas just have refelected it in their Risala as obligatory ruling.
  3. "Folding arms in Qiyam" in similar fashion of Wudu in no2 has been forbidden  by prophet Muhammad (pbu) & all of infallible Imams which Shias only allowed do it for Taqiya between their enemies which no Marja can give a Fatwa against it.