Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I reprimanded a group of youth today

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam. So I took my family to the park today.

And while my eldest son (4 year old) was riding his tricycle, a group of youth (three girls and three boys, probably university students) passed by. He quickly moved to the side and waited for them to pass. And a girl approached to him, making him more nervous and said: "Hey guys! Look at this boy! How stupid he is looking at us!" and then they laughed.

I mean, for real? These youth will become mothers and fathers one day. And as university students they should have known about the children's psychology. I mean he did not go out or meet any people. They should have known about the covid lockdown and its affects. And he surely startles with people passing by. And I want him to be self confident and instructing him to ride farther every time he rides his bike and then this happens.

I am not saying every child is like this. Yesterday, a Syrian little kid (7 or 8 year old) in the street approached me and opened my hand and got the little toys I just bought for my kids and ran away. But, there sure are shy and introvert kids out there. Why did they do this? I would not and did not mind kids making mistakes but university students should know better.

Well, I reprimanded them very loudly. To my surprise, the girl tried to walk towards me to probably argue and a boy grabbed her and they all walked away.

What would you do in such a situation? I don't want to look for more secluded areas for our future visits to the park or picnic places. How would you correct youth who disrespect your family?

And how can I make my sons be active but not oppressive in social life? Thanks a lot.

• Advanced Member

They are stupid foolish immature and have not been raised well. Usually by college age, people stop bullying and taunting as they have grown out of it. But even most middle and high school students (age 12-17) would not do such a thing to a little boy.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, islamicmusic said:

And while my eldest son (4 year old) was riding his tricycle, a group of youth (three girls and three boys, probably university students) passed by. He quickly moved to the side and waited for them to pass. And a girl approached to him, making him more nervous and said: "Hey guys! Look at this boy! How stupid he is looking at us!" and then they laughed.

I mean, for real? These youth will become mothers and fathers one day. And as university students they should have known about the children's psychology. I mean he did not go out or meet any people. They should have known about the covid lockdown and its affects. And he surely startles with people passing by. And I want him to be self confident and instructing him to ride farther every time he rides his bike and then this happens.

I am not saying every child is like this. Yesterday, a Syrian little kid (7 or 8 year old) in the street approached me and opened my hand and got the little toys I just bought for my kids and ran away. But, there sure are shy and introvert kids out there. Why did they do this? I would not and did not mind kids making mistakes but university students should know better.

Well, I reprimanded them very loudly. To my surprise, the girl tried to walk towards me to probably argue and a boy grabbed her and they all walked away.

What would you do in such a situation? I don't want to look for more secluded areas for our future visits to the park or picnic places. How would you correct youth who disrespect your family?

And how can I make my sons be active but not oppressive in social life? Thanks a lot.

I think you did the right thing. You let them know very clearly that what they are doing is not right. There are many young people who were raised in environments where they were given no 'feedback', or no constructive feedback when they do these kinds of things. So doing this is helpful for them, so long as you don't cross the line and become and aggressor yourself, which you didn't do in this case. 

Also, many children who were raised in extreme poverty or in environments where there is no or little parental supervision act like this. The kids who were raised in poverty think that they will never get anything in life except by taking it by force (i.e. stealing it). It is not their fault until they become mature and realize (thru social feedback such as yours) that their behavior is not something society will accept from them. Then they usually change, but it takes a few years or maybe a decade for them to fully realize how to act in society and adjust. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Uni Student said:

They are stupid foolish immature and have not been raised well.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

@islamicmusicI felt angered just reading about what happened. 

I think brother @Abu Hadi provided a great response. 

If it was me though, I would definitely have not left the area without using my words in the most harshest (but also dignified) of ways to make them at least tear up, if not feel like crąp from the inside. 

Note: this post only applies to the group of university students.

Edited by AStruggler

• Veteran Member

:salam:

You did well at shouting at them, just for the sake of showing your son you stand by his side.

That won't make those dumb guys think though. I mean seriously, mocking a 4 year old kid is a sign of a very, very poor intelligence. 

• Moderators

That's crazy.  I've never encountered anyone like this! And I'm glad of it! Where do you live? Is this normal behavior there? 

• Advanced Member
On 6/9/2022 at 6:04 AM, islamicmusic said:

Walaikom assalam. 

I wouldn't worry about it. They had no right to do that to your son, and you did have the right to reprimand them. They deserved it.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:04 AM, islamicmusic said:

I would've done the exact same thing. I would've yelled and reprimanded them. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) won't punish you for defending your son. In fact, you should be rewarded for telling them off. What kind of cowardly uni students are immature enough to insult a 4 year old? 

May Allah judge between us all with justice.

May Allah bless you and your family and grant you all Jannat al-Firdaus.

Ma3salem. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Thank you all so much. I just assumed they are "studying" at the university because of their ages. And the parents in my little city aren't those kinds that would let their children unsupervised. For a girl to wander around in the park with boys, I assumed they are from different cities and are here to "study". Usually 2 year colleges are not considered worthy here. And most of the students there are just killing time "freely" away from their parents. So, I assumed they are studying at the university. My second clue was their Turkish accent. It was clear they were not born and raised in my city. So they have to be studying here away from their hometown and parents.

It was just sad and made me angry. And three days ago, I went to a big city in Turkey and my God it was worse. If I had lived there, probably I would not be able to take my family around. People drinking alcohol in the streets and near the bosphorus, teens getting intimate in public transportations, dancing near the ice cream sellers. It seems the fall/secularism of the Muslim Nations are worse than the fall of non-muslims. Sad indeed. Just one man approached me after I prayed in Hagia Sophia. I thought he wanted to get to know me and why I prayed like I did (because that I witnessed many times) and to my surprise he was asking for money.

Anyway, I haven't been to other countries except for Iran and now I know better why we need to live under an Islamic Government and why the moral police is also a necessary institution. May Allah protect the Ummah from the evils of secularism.

Edited by islamicmusic