Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is a home altar or sacred space permisible?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

I'm coming from Norse paganism where it is common to have an altar. I want a sacred space in my home with no graven images. Intend to display a Quran and other books on an altar cloth. in the area where I pray can I do this? Having and taking care of this area makes practicing fun for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

Salam it's highly recommended  that we have a special  place in home for praying  which you can only focus on praying which if it's  possible in that place or room you don't  have anything  that distracts you fom worship likewise  graven images & etc but on the othe other hand keeping holy Quran & useful  books in a good location likewise altar cloth  is recommended .

Quote

2- They reported to Mutawakel that in the house of Imam Hadi (عليه السلام) there were weapons and letters from his Shiites to him and so on. He ordered a number of soldiers and agents to attack the Imam's house - untimely and unexpectedly. The order was carried out, and when they entered the house, they found him alone in a room lined with sand, with the door closed on him, wearing a woolen robe, a cloak, and verses from the Qur'an about He whispered promises and threats. His Holiness was brought to Mutawakkil at the same time.

https://maaref.makarem.ir/fa/article/index/414900/توطئه-های-متوکل-در-زمان-اقامت‌-امام-هادی(ع)-در-سامرا

Quote

Ibn al-Imad al-Hanbali says: Mutawakel was told that there were weapons and other items in the house of Imam Hadi (عليه السلام) and that he intended to rise up and exedous. He ordered some people to attack his house and find him in a closed room while he was wearing a woolen dress and praying and there was no carpet on the ground.

شذرات الذهب، ج 2، ص 128

Shazarat al Zahab , v2 , p128

 

http://vasael.ir/fa/news/16107/مروری-بر-سبک-زندگی-امام-هادی

Quote

In Samarra, the people highly revered the Imam's (a) great personality and spirit. They all showed great amounts of humbleness before him.

During his compulsory residence in Samarra, Imam (a) seemingly had a calm life and al-Mutawakkil wanted to show him in the role of a courtier and decrease his grandeur in the eyes of the people, while he took Imam (a) under surveillance.[31]

The agents keeping surveillance, reported to al-Mutawakkil that there were weapons and letters from the Shi'a in the house of the Imam (a). He ordered for some soldiers to quickly rush to the Imam's (a) house. Upon arriving at the Imam's (a) residence, they found him (a) alone in a room with the floor covered by sand, while he (a) was wearing woolen clothes, had a head covering and murmured some verses of the Qur'an; so they took him in that state to al-Mutawakkil.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Imam_Ali_b._Muhammad_al-Hadi_(a)

Quote

امام؛ بدون تحریف-6"| برنامه‌ و نحوه عبادت و نماز امام خمینی چگونه بود؟-  اخبار سیاسی تسنیم | Tasnim

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, Ishmail Ali As-Shukur said:

I'm coming from Norse paganism where it is common to have an altar.

Do you know that North Mythology has a god called Ali or Vali? :dwarf: 
However that came about, it is still Shirk to worship Ali as a god. Even though some Alawites is said to do it and I believe that the Bektash Sufi syncretic faith does that too. I think this very well illustrates the process of how people gradually corrupts monotheist religions into polytheism. There is still a lot of recognizable similarities in Norse Mythology though. Judgment day which is called Ragnarok and what many people don't know is that the vikings actually prostrated in prayer. Modern day Neo-Paganism is a different ballgame though. That is more akin to Satanism or even Atheism.

 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, Ishmail Ali As-Shukur said:

I want a sacred space in my home with no graven images. Intend to display a Quran and other books on an altar cloth. in the area where I pray can I do this? Having and taking care of this area makes practicing fun for me.

I am thinking of having a prayer niche in the corner of my living room that is facing the qibla. I think I would have it in the way it is in the mosque with Persian mosaics. Even if it is just painted on. You can of cause also just have a Quran on a reading stand open to show your favorite Sura. I wouldn't over do it with Ramadan kitsch and stuff though and absolutely no images. I don't even think I would have a cartouche of the Imams(عليه السلام) and the prophet(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Having come from polytheism like your self I am a little wary of inadvertently committing Shirk.

Edited by Revert1963
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

Modern day Neo-Paganism is a different ballgame though. That is more akin to Satanism or even Atheism.

 

That is part of why I left it and of course there was a girl. The girl didn't work out but I decided to stay muslim after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
On 5/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, Revert1963 said:

I think I would have it in the way it is in the mosque with Persian mosaics. Even if it is just painted on.

 

image.jpeg.33d4c50ab2260a12e22cb8d28a053476.jpegPersian Mihrab Canvas Print Prayer Niche Art Print Islamic | Etsy image.jpeg.b9d2ab8e7642f033136a22fc4c49d73a.jpeg  

Persian Mihrab Canvas Print Prayer Niche Art Print Islamic | Etsy

 image.jpeg.54b077d39f0547782bd7b8181a7a34ea.jpeg

This rare and beautiful art print was produced from a high definition photograph of a Mihrab that was once set into the qibla wall 
https://www.pathosstudio.uk/products/mihrab-prayer-niche-traditional-persian-islamic-mosaic-art-a4-a3-a2-rare-high-resolution-print-also-available-framed

Moroccan Blue Wall Art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro  Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures Home Decor - Painting &  Calligraphy - AliExpress Moroccan Blue Wall Art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro  Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures Home Decor - Painting &  Calligraphy - AliExpress
Moroccan Blue wall art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002564785822.html

image.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

SEEMA Z# 319628
PERSIAN MIHRAB NICHE

Persian Mihrab Niche - Seema ZPersian Mihrab Niche - Seema Z

This is stunning Mixed Media Art created inspired by the Persian Mihrab Niche of a Mosque.

Fine Art Print Certificate of authenticity Certificate of Authenticity provided with any print of this artwork

Available in :
Canvas Acrylic Brushed Metal HD Metal Wood Mural Framed print Roll prints

https://www.pictorem.com/319628/Persian Mihrab Niche.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

 

image.jpeg.33d4c50ab2260a12e22cb8d28a053476.jpegPersian Mihrab Canvas Print Prayer Niche Art Print Islamic | Etsy image.jpeg.b9d2ab8e7642f033136a22fc4c49d73a.jpeg  

Persian Mihrab Canvas Print Prayer Niche Art Print Islamic | Etsy

 image.jpeg.54b077d39f0547782bd7b8181a7a34ea.jpeg

This rare and beautiful art print was produced from a high definition photograph of a Mihrab that was once set into the qibla wall 
https://www.pathosstudio.uk/products/mihrab-prayer-niche-traditional-persian-islamic-mosaic-art-a4-a3-a2-rare-high-resolution-print-also-available-framed

Moroccan Blue Wall Art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro  Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures Home Decor - Painting &  Calligraphy - AliExpress Moroccan Blue Wall Art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro  Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures Home Decor - Painting &  Calligraphy - AliExpress
Moroccan Blue wall art Vintage Posters Prints Ceiling Hafez Tomb Retro Modern Mosque Persian Canvas Painting Pictures

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002564785822.html

image.jpeg

This is beautiful thank you so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...