Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Questions on following a Marja

Rate this topic

Guest Mikayl

Guest Mikayl

Assalamua alaykum all, I am under the impression that one must follow a marja, however I have heard that there are several “rules” for it, so I have some questions:

1) I have heard that one must follow a single marja’s rulings and no one else’s, why is this the case?

2) On another discussion around this topic a user stated that Imam Jafar as Sadiq           (عليه السلام)“From among the Jurists (Fuqaha’) who protect themselves from sin, safeguard Deen, act against their own desires and are solely obedient to Allah are those whom Muslims should follow in Taqleed”, provided that this Hadith is authentic, how can we be sure that Marja such as Sistani and Khamenei fit this description, if we have never met these people? Following from my first point, this Hadith says that Muslims should follow ‘those’ which is a plural term, surely this means we can follow different rulings from different Marja?

3) The same user also mentioned that Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) has narrated that “As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our ahadith, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof." Provided that this Hadith is also authentic, how are Marja such as Sistani and Khamenei ‘narrators of hadith’ if they only produce rulings to their followers without showing any evidence of their sources from Hadith or The Holy Qur’an? Again following on from my first point, Imam Mahdi ( عليه السلام) clearly states to follow the ‘narrators’ , this is clearly a plural term, so why can’t we follow multiple marja’s rulings?

4) I have also heard that if you do not follow a Marja, you will go to hell. Is this true?

May Allah(  سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ )  guide us all.

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as Salam brother

1. I imagine this is for reasons of consistency, as opposed to a rule derived directly from religious texts. 

2. Through the testimony of two or more trustworthy individuals

3. The more detailed works of fiqh do indeed go into the details of how rulings were derived, although these are mostly in Arabic (which makes sense since knowledge of Classical Arabic is essential when studying the Quran and Hadith in depth). The simplified works with just the rulings are translated and provided for the convenience of laymen in different areas of the world.

4. No, this has probably been poorly explained. The logic is that if one refers to an expert they have fulfilled their duty in terms of jurisprudential matters. Someone who doesn’t bother to refer to an expert and simply follows whatever suits them or whatever they guess to be correct, without any significant knowledge of the Quran and Hadith, will not have a legitimate excuse if it turns out that they have been missing the wajibaat and performing haram acts simply because they didn’t make the effort to refer to experts in the area of fiqh. 

Guest May24
6 hours ago, Guest Mikayl said:

I have heard that one must follow a single marja’s rulings and no one else’s, why is this the case?

Bc you must follow the rulings of the most knowledgeable. If you consider 2 most knowledgeable equally, you can indeed use rulings from either marja. 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Guest Mikayl said:

Assalamua alaykum all, I am under the impression that one must follow a marja, however I have heard that there are several “rules” for it, so I have some questions:

1) I have heard that one must follow a single marja’s rulings and no one else’s, why is this the case?

2) On another discussion around this topic a user stated that Imam Jafar as Sadiq           (عليه السلام)“From among the Jurists (Fuqaha’) who protect themselves from sin, safeguard Deen, act against their own desires and are solely obedient to Allah are those whom Muslims should follow in Taqleed”, provided that this Hadith is authentic, how can we be sure that Marja such as Sistani and Khamenei fit this description, if we have never met these people? Following from my first point, this Hadith says that Muslims should follow ‘those’ which is a plural term, surely this means we can follow different rulings from different Marja?

3) The same user also mentioned that Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) has narrated that “As far as newly occurring circumstances are concerned, you should turn (for guidance) to the narrators of our ahadith, for they are my proof over you just as I am Allah's proof." Provided that this Hadith is also authentic, how are Marja such as Sistani and Khamenei ‘narrators of hadith’ if they only produce rulings to their followers without showing any evidence of their sources from Hadith or The Holy Qur’an? Again following on from my first point, Imam Mahdi ( عليه السلام) clearly states to follow the ‘narrators’ , this is clearly a plural term, so why can’t we follow multiple marja’s rulings?

4) I have also heard that if you do not follow a Marja, you will go to hell. Is this true?

May Allah(  سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ )  guide us all.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Guest Mikayl said:

Salam this is not true which if you are knowledgeable  enough to understand  rullings from holy Quran & narration  then you don't  need to follow  a Marja but on the other hand common  people  who are not  knowledgeable  enough then it's possible that  if they don't  follow a Marja so then maybe astray from right path or create an innovation  which this can leads their desti

Why do we have to follow only one marja’ and how is this matter proven through hadiths?

In contrast to what has been assumed in your question, many faqihs or fiqh experts believe that in certain cases, not only is it permissible, but it is wajib to follow more than one marja’. Therefore, we will first list some of the fatwas on this issue and the Islamic reasoning behind it.

Imam Khomeini’s judgment: If two mujtahids are equal in knowledge (and none are more learned than the other), others (who aren’t mujtahids and have to practice taqlid) can refer to any of the two that they desire, and they can also follow one of the two in some issues and the other in other issues.[1]

The Grand Ayatullah Khamenei also says: Not only isn’t tab’iz (following a mujtahid in some issues and another in other ones) problematic, but if there are marja’s that are each more learned than others in certain subjects of fiqh, it is necessary and wajib to follow each in the field that he is an expert in.[2]

Some scholars have explained the abovementioned ruling by saying that before following a marja’ in a specific ruling, it is okay to switch between marja’s (meaning that even if one has chosen a marja’ to follow, but still hasn’t followed him by acting according to his judgment, it is okay to change the marja’), but after acting according to a marja’s verdict, it is no longer permissible to change marja’s. For further information, on this matter, you can refer to Question 1335 of this website.

The final necessary note is that the believers shouldn’t make the subject of following more than one marja’ an excuse to follow any marja’ they desire in any issue just because his judgment on that issue goes with what they like.

After choosing the appropriate marja’ and following him in an issue, we can no longer follow another marja’ regarding that same issue. In other words, it isn’t possible to have two different taqlids regarding the same issue, unless the second marja’ has the same judgment as the first, or if one finds out that the first marja’ wasn’t qualified for being marja’ in the first place.[6]

For instance, if someone is a smoker, and his marja’ says that smoking doesn’t break one’s fast, there is no problem for that individual to smoke while fasting. But if that same person’s marja’ says that smoking breaks one’s fast, and he goes on to follow another marja’ that believes that it is okay to smoke while fasting, without observing the necessary criteria for being able to switch between marja's, it isn’t acceptable and in reality this act isn’t called following a marja’ or taqlid, it is merely a way of justifying one’s acts that he/she desires.[9]

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/fa3004

• Advanced Member

) On another discussion around this topic a user stated that Imam Jafar as Sadiq           (عليه السلام)“From among the Jurists (Fuqaha’) who protect themselves from sin, safeguard Deen, act against their own desires and are solely obedient to Allah are those whom Muslims should follow in Taqleed”, provided that this Hadith is authentic, how can we be sure that Marja such as Sistani and Khamenei fit this description, if we have never met these people? Following from my first point, this Hadith says that Muslims should follow ‘those’ which is a plural term, surely this means we can follow different rulings from different Marja?

In order to explain the abovementioned points further, a few points must be noted:

1- The reason behind why every individual has to follow a particular marja’ has been explained as follows:

a) We are sure that every action that we do has an Islamic ruling that has been expressed by the imams, let it be a specific ruling on the action, or a general one that the act goes under.

b) We also know that Islamic scholars and narrators of hadiths have been assigned by the imams as references of Islamic rulings and issues.[5]

c) Our hadiths haven’t assigned a particular person as the authority and official reference during the major occultation of Imam Zaman (عليه السلام), what they do mention though are the characteristics of such scholars and references.

d) We can't follow all Islamic scholars, because they all don’t have the same viewpoints on various issues. We also can't follow an undistinguished scholar without knowing which one we are following, just like we can't be free and not follow anyone at all and do anything we like, because that is something that the mind won't accept and is also in contrast with what Muslims have practiced throughout history.

Hence, taking into consideration the characteristics mentioned in different hadiths, it is our duty to choose between the different individuals that meet the standards required for one to be followed, making him our marja’ taqlid.

e) After choosing the appropriate marja’ and following him in an issue, we can no longer follow another marja’ regarding that same issue. In other words, it isn’t possible to have two different taqlids regarding the same issue, unless the second marja’ has the same judgment as the first, or if one finds out that the first marja’ wasn’t qualified for being marja’ in the first place.[6]

2- The difference between tab’iz and udul:

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/fa3004

Guest Psychological Warfare

I have heard 

Whenever we hear something we must verify it. To acquire knowledge you need to spend some time on it.  You need to read the topic  "Taqlid" in detail you will get clarity from the source. 

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-abul-qasim-al-khui-sayyid-abu-al-qasim-al-khoei/taqlid

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2116/