Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Dua never works for me

Rate this topic

Guest Asad

Guest Asad

I prayed for something very hard. I made a nazr/vow. I prayed before opening every fast this Ramadan. I prayed on laylatul qadr. I prayed tahajjud regularly to ask for this one thing. And still it did not happen. 

So what is the point of making any dua if what is meant for me will reach me, and what is not meant for me will never reach me?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Guest Asad said:

I prayed for something very hard. I made a nazr/vow. I prayed before opening every fast this Ramadan. I prayed on laylatul qadr. I prayed tahajjud regularly to ask for this one thing. And still it did not happen. 

So what is the point of making any dua if what is meant for me will reach me, and what is not meant for me will never reach me?

Salam. Did you stop making dua? If you stopped, then maybe you don't really want it that much. 

Guest Asad
31 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

Salam. Did you stop making dua? If you stopped, then maybe you don't really want it that much. 

I made dua for a very long time until the deadline that it could possibly be answered had passed

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Guest Asad said:

I made dua for a very long time until the deadline that it could possibly be answered had passed

If the deadline for the dua has passed, then Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knew that thing you wanted would not be good for you. InShaAllah there is something better that will come for you. 

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Guest Asad said:

what is the point of making any dua if what is meant for me will reach me, and what is not meant for me will never reach me?

The point is that maybe it is only meant to reach you if you make Dua.... And is not meant to reach you if you do not make Dua. 

If you made Dua and it still didn't reach you, you should be happy that the will of Allah prevailed over your own desire. 

It can also be that although you think you prayed a lot, in Allah's view your Dua was not sufficient enough, good enough.... so you need to continue praying because nothing is impossible for Allah.

Guest Shia Dua

Duas are your intentions and desires manifested to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to ask Him to bestow upon them to you, but ultimately you should understand, it is only IF Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wills it and/or that which is good for you. Somethings you need to actually put in effort as well as use the power of dua. Dua to pass an exam or to find a partner for example you need to be actually proactive, and you PRAY/DUA that you will leave the rest to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) after you have done everything that you are capable of doing. Sometimes our sins or lack of closeness to God makes it harder for our prayers to be heard. Sometimes Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants you to get closer to Him, so that you pray more, and not only when you "need" him. Sometimes prayers get answered, and sometimes they just simply do not. So do not stop praying once your prayers/duas do not get answered, pray for a better path, for a better future through which your previous prayer did not get answered. Do not lose faith in God and prayer, use your struggles and hardships to get closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), become stronger and improve as a human being. ELEVATE YOUR SELF IN REALITY AND IN SOUL ~

Guest Abdul

Allah always answers dua but there are rules for acceptance for example if you really need this thing your asking for or not. If you ask for money for example and Allah knows money will destroy your life he will not give you money but instead he will replace it with something else like prolonging your life or your parents lives, or he will not give you anything in this life instead he will save it for you in the after life. There is a narration that mentions that if a person knows the amount of award he gets in the afterlife because some of his dua was not granted and instead it was transferred to the next life, he would of wished that none of his dua in this life was granted.

Be patient and never lose hope in Allah and inshalah he will grant you what you need.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I also have and had so many duas that Allah rejected.

Allah rejected duas of prophets as well. Noah told Allah: He is my son in water, o Allah, rescue him. Allah responded:" He is not from you. He will be drowned".

All kids of Imam Hussain wanted to see their father alive, but he wasn't. Allah knew their desire and intention but rejected it.

Brother, it's ok. That's how Allah plans. Just live with it. He knows what he's doing. Imam Sadeq said:" On the day of judgement once Mumin sees the rewards of his rejected duas, he says: I wish none of them were accepted". This is very interesting and hopeful :)

Edited by Quran313

• Advanced Member

If you want your duas to be accepted more then they have to not be so specific. For example I may pray for marriage with my coworker, or to enter dental school, or for a company to accept my application to Apple. This would be bad, because all of those things may be horrible for me, or He has something better. Instead I'd pray for him to help me with marriage in a way that pleases Him most, or ask him for success in education, or for a good job. From the examples, it may be that my soulmate is someone else and this coworker is a waste of time, it may be that the dental field isn't good for me and He wants me to be a lawyer instead, and it may be that this company I applied for will fold in 3 years and He has somewhere else in mind.

I prayed a lot for marriage, I can see now that it would be one of the worst things I can get myself into at this point in life considering my circumstances. Instead of asking Him to let me get married, now I ask Him for success in marriage, whatever that may be.

It also helps to not hope for anything specific, because then you won't feel burned when it doesn't happen. If I pray for marriage with my coworker and it doesn't happen, then I may think Allah doesn't like me and rejected me. But if I pray for success in marriage, then I'd take that same rejection as a part of a process.

Hope for marriage, not a specific person. Hope for a career, not a specific job. Hope for housing, not a specific house. Be broad. 

Guest Psychological Warfare

fyi

وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُمْ بِشَيْءٍ مِنَ الْخَوْفِ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِنَ الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَنْفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ ۗ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ {155}

[Shakir 2:155] And We will most certainly try you with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits; and give good news to the patient,
[Pickthal 2:155] And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the steadfast,
[Yusufali 2:155] Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere,

If The Book did not mention / clearly state  these Concepts. You can say, people were Not informed. 

Delusion is Not comprehending and stating Conjecture. 

Try your best using the Intellect, make the effort, and ask for guidance and patience. Or the ex God version, distract yourself from your problems by means we are all aware of or indulging in what distract and pleasure and in the end be spiteful of the others as you are a failure - have a negative outlook in life and die in this state. 

I think, the first option is prudent for personal and societal well being. Take your pick. 

If there is a God, and there certainly is one. the second option was a mistake. Intellect will guide you to the first option. 

• Advanced Member

Assalaamun Alaykum,

Lots of good advice already posted,

I'm sure you are doing this already but just so that it is said: Make dua for others, even a random Muslim you see in the street and don't know... i.e. make dua for other people regularly as well as ask for yourself and your family and close ones.

We pray for heaven and dream about getting there, when in reality heaven is below the feet of our mothers, someone who prays for heaven should therefore show amazing kindness to their mother,,, 

whatever it is that you are in need of, read about it according to Islamic teachings then do deeds that are related as in the simple example above,, maybe what is meant to manifest for you will please you in a way you wouldn't have been pleased if the original had been granted.

Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) sometimes doesn't grant a dua or delays it, simply because he loves to hear the voice of his servant pleading to him...